PDA

View Full Version : How low can you go...

gromit
15-04-2007, 07:06 PM
Hi all
My 07 LE euro is now just 11 days old :D
Absolutely loving the car and still stealing glances everytime i walk away from it.
Now I'm looking for advice on lowering the car. Any ideas what brand, ride height, price or where i can get it done in Perth (Only been here for 1 month now!). Don't want it stupid low though scraping off roadkill.

Any suggestions appreciated!

tony1234
15-04-2007, 07:40 PM
Hi all
Absolutely loving the car and still stealing glances everytime i walk away from it.
Now I'm looking for advice on lowering the car. Any ideas what brand, ride height, price or where i can get it done in Perth (Only been here for 1 month now!). Don't want it stupid low though scraping off roadkill.

I've got Eibach springs with Bilstein shocks,drop is approx.35mm(just right!).i'm in Sydney so can't help with where to get it done.IMO Eibach springs really suit the Euro as it's a sport/luxury car.As for shocks i'd go for either Bilstein or Koni both cost about the same and again suit the type of car the Euro is.BTW welcome.:wave:

curik
15-04-2007, 08:09 PM
hmm, tein ss is about 1300, it is height and damping adjustable, so you can lower the car precisely as you wish. Highly recommended. Surprisingly despite the high spring rate it still rides very well, very close to stock.

gromit
15-04-2007, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the comments.
Yea I wouldn't want anything that wud compromise ride comfort.

EKVTIR-T
15-04-2007, 08:41 PM
These guys are on the money with Eibach springs.
Also the Koni's have a bit of height adjustability.
SuperStreet will most likely handle worse than stock but gives you full height choice.

IAMVTEC
15-04-2007, 08:55 PM
How low can you go.. Umm I have to think about that.

I dunno why dont you lower it until it can nearly graze the ground, just like the knuckles of a knuckle dragging gorilla.

curik
15-04-2007, 09:20 PM
These guys are on the money with Eibach springs.
Also the Koni's have a bit of height adjustability.
SuperStreet will most likely handle worse than stock but gives you full height choice.

handle worse than stock? Are you using them? There is no way a reputable company like Tein makes suspension that is worse than stock. You have to get inside a euro with the SS, I was shocked myself too. It is that good.

EKVTIR-T
15-04-2007, 09:24 PM
Haha.Well ok i've never been in a Euro with ss but in about 8-10 cars that have.
They are rubbish to me honestly.Everyone I speak to who bought them regrets it regardless of intended purpose.
A good spring/strut set up will own ss anytime.

Bayani
15-04-2007, 11:51 PM
How low can you go.. Umm I have to think about that.

I dunno why dont you lower it until it can nearly graze the ground, just like the knuckles of a knuckle dragging gorilla.

Cause it's illegal; and it seems he actually cares about performance.

aaronng
16-04-2007, 04:45 AM
Haha.Well ok i've never been in a Euro with ss but in about 8-10 cars that have.
They are rubbish to me honestly.Everyone I speak to who bought them regrets it regardless of intended purpose.
A good spring/strut set up will own ss anytime.

What was their intended purpose? I hope it is not handling, as the SS are too soft for the track. They are street-level coils meant to be for daily driving.

Merlin086
16-04-2007, 06:21 AM
My euro rides like a limo with no body roll with Tein ss and a whiteline rsb.

"All coilovers are not created equally"

I can't believe all the "experts" who have ridden in cars with Tein coilovers, therefore they must all have a bone-jarring ride.

I have dropped 50mm and still have to do half the driveways at an angle, and I've still had a couple of scrapes.

tony1234
16-04-2007, 11:20 AM
I've heard of squeaks from Tein coilovers after 6-9 mths.on a TSX site(Acurazine) so that put me off getting them.I'm not a fan of coilovers on a street car but in saying that i've never owned or driven a car with them installed.:zip:

Merlin086
16-04-2007, 12:05 PM
Most squeaks have a source and a remedy, but none here yet.
My preference was to having the damping adjustment to fine tune to local roads for ride comfort.

tony1234
16-04-2007, 12:57 PM
Most squeaks have a source and a remedy, but none here yet.
My preference was to having the damping adjustment to fine tune to local roads for ride comfort.
Like i said i've only heard this so hopefully you won't have any problems.:)

LXRY
16-04-2007, 01:47 PM
Hi all

Hi I have recently lowered mine too (eibachs) need the shocks though...anyway I have had problems with drifting and camber bias to the right happened 5,000-6,000klm mark, still have the problem with camber bias (pulling to the right under camber more than normal), They (Honda Aust.) knocked back the offer of new tyres because of mod to suspension and now telling me that suspension warranty void....just letting you know what you may be in for if you do have drifting problem later....I am about to put my old springs back in my car to fight Honda Aust. over this issue....Patiance I say up until your 10,000 klm mark.

Hope this helps you

Read this thread before you decide

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22067

Congratulations on your purchase :D

tony1234
16-04-2007, 02:03 PM
I swapped my stock suspension for the Eiback/Bilstein setup 2 weeks from new and i've had NO problems at all.It is now 10 mths.16000klm.later.I also changed my tyres to Conti sport Contact 2s.I believe that the majority of these drifting/pulling issues are to do with the suitability/compatibility of these tyres(Bridgestone RE-O40)IMO the OEM tyres are CRAP.I suggest you change the OEM tyres while they are virtually new because you'll still get a good trade in on them.

mr747
16-04-2007, 04:12 PM
tein ss all the way

Merlin086
16-04-2007, 04:31 PM
My euro lux was new end November.
Never had drifting tendancies, only noticed slight tramlining on deep grooves. Switched to chrome stock size rims at 1k, after a wheel alignment check at the 1k service. All OK. Still running stock Bridgestone 225/45 17's

Lowered 2" on Tein SS a month later and haven't noticed any tramlining since.
So I haven't noticed any drift with stock tyres at all, the only difference is my offset is 45mm, so maybe increasing the track 20mm has helped.........who knows?

gromit
17-04-2007, 12:44 AM
All helpful comments thanks guys.

Out of interest is the CL7 suspension setup much lower and is it advisable to slap them on the CL9?

aaronng
17-04-2007, 02:47 AM
Hi I have recently lowered mine too (eibachs) need the shocks though...anyway I have had problems with drifting and camber bias to the right happened 5,000-6,000klm mark, still have the problem with camber bias (pulling to the right under camber more than normal), They (Honda Aust.) knocked back the offer of new tyres because of mod to suspension and now telling me that suspension warranty void....just letting you know what you may be in for if you do have drifting problem later....I am about to put my old springs back in my car to fight Honda Aust. over this issue....Patiance I say up until your 10,000 klm mark.

Hope this helps you

Read this thread before you decide

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22067

Congratulations on your purchase :D
If you lowered your car without installing a rear camber kit to get the camber back to spec, your car WILL pull to the right. Mine did after lowering by 25mm. My rear camber went to -3 and I had severe pulling to the right. I could take the right curve in the M5 tunnel without my hands on the wheel and steering set to being centered. In order to drive straight, I had to keep my hands on the wheel and had the steering wheel pointed slightly to the left. As a bandaid fix, I put 0.3mm more toe in on the right to reduce the pulling. I've got my camber kit and will set both my camber and toe back to factory specs and will report whether my pulling goes away after restoring the rear camber from -3 back to -0.5.

Atjo
17-04-2007, 09:04 AM
If you wanna spend more i can get you bolt-on air suspension for euro :)

Takenit2easy
02-06-2007, 10:31 AM
I've got Eibach springs with Bilstein shocks,drop is approx.35mm(just right!).i'm in Sydney so can't help with where to get it done.IMO Eibach springs really suit the Euro as it's a sport/luxury car.As for shocks i'd go for either Bilstein or Koni both cost about the same and again suit the type of car the Euro is.BTW welcome.:wave:

Just wondering how much Eibach springs with Bilstein shocks would cost...?

if i lowered my euro 35mm i would need a camber kit too right...?
how much and what brand...?

cheers

ALF487
02-06-2007, 10:50 AM
For me its either the best set up or nothing.. and what i wanted was to lower my car without worrying about.. "ohhh its not low enough" or "damn it its too low" so i decided to go for a fully adjustable suspension with full ride height and damper adjustable. this way i wouldnt also have to worry about the car being too stiff or too soft. At first i wanted to get the Eibach and Bilstein set up, but then i also thought about getting a bodykit and 19 inch rims. there isnt much that i can do with the Eibach/Bilstein set up. so i had to choose carefully and decided to go with TEIN Flex. Cost alot more.. but its worth it. ive dumped my car by 2inch front and rear, appearance wise.. makes tha car look more sexy, the body sits right on top of the tyres. the handling? *2 thumbs up*

aaronng
02-06-2007, 12:22 PM
2" drop on flex with a bodykit. Wouldn't you be scraping the bottom of your car on the thin metal speed bumps in the shopping mall?

ALF487
03-06-2007, 10:36 AM
What i was saying was, with the fully adjustable suspension i can raise and lower my car when ever i want at any height, if i wanted it really low without bodykit i can, and if i do get bodykits, i can raise it up abit. im just saying, for people who's really fussy about the ride height of their car, then fully adjustable suspension is the way to go.

badthing
03-06-2007, 02:06 PM
hey ALF487,

saw your car last sat afternoon turning onto elizabeth st surry hills. i was behind you. atm, you got 2" drop with tein flex right? i'm looking to get flex as well but not sure how much to drop it. do u get any clearance issues going up or down driveways?

also, what brand foglights are you using? looks hot with the colour matching the headlights.

TRaNz
03-06-2007, 04:25 PM
Yeah hes got sexeh foggies, think they're MTEC HID 8000k H11...im planning to get some too, thanks to the photos he showed with them on. :p

Question to Alf, did you chose the Flex over the SS bcoz Flex could go lower or something? Oh and do you have a camber kit on atm?

Cheers.

Suntzu
03-06-2007, 06:12 PM
Hmm yeah im also tossing up between Tein SS and Eibach/Bilstein option. Not sure if there is much difference in price though?>?

euro1986
03-06-2007, 06:43 PM
if any one would like a diy solution to suspension upgrade i found this on the acurazine site http://tsx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37138&highlight=installation+guide

ALF487
03-06-2007, 07:45 PM
badthing: About the 2inch drop.. no i dont have any clearance problems, but if i do go any lower i will.. My foglights are MTEC HiD 8000K got them from TOP ONE Automotive for $550 installed. hope that helps

TRaNz: I choose the Flex because it can go lower than the SS and looks more durable than the SS. the SS has a max drop of 3.2inch and the Flex has a max drop of 4inch.

euro1986
03-06-2007, 08:15 PM
if any one would like a diy solution to suspension upgrade i found this on the acurazine site http://tsx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37138&highlight=installation+guide

E-Gene
03-06-2007, 08:29 PM
What about the Tein Comfort Sport Coilovers? Anyone tried these before?

tony1234
04-06-2007, 07:27 AM
Hmm yeah im also tossing up between Tein SS and Eibach/Bilstein option. Not sure if there is much difference in price though?>?
Price wise there's not much in it.Iv'e had adjustable shocks before and once i found the right setting i never touched them again.Like i've said before i think the Bilstein/Eibach setup suits the Euro as the car is a semi sport/luxury car.If you plan on tracking your car regularly then the coilovers would be the way to go but for street(esp.sydney CRAP roads)the Bilstein/Eibach is:thumbsup:

tony1234
04-06-2007, 07:30 AM
What about the Tein Comfort Sport Coilovers? Anyone tried these before?
From what i've heard(on Acurazine site)these would be good.similar to Bilstein/Eibach setup i think but with adjustability.

E-Gene
04-06-2007, 11:06 PM
From what i've heard(on Acurazine site)these would be good.similar to Bilstein/Eibach setup i think but with adjustability.

Are they better than the Tein SS?

curik
05-06-2007, 12:52 AM
man you always keep saying bilstein eibach. I have koni/eibach (1.5 turns all round) and I must say that the Tein SS rides better. I have been in kitbkk's car a couple of times and he also set the dampers to max.

LXRY
05-06-2007, 01:37 AM
man you always keep saying bilstein eibach. I have koni/eibach (1.5 turns all round) and I must say that the Tein SS rides better. I have been in kitbkk's car a couple of times and he also set the dampers to max.

Yep koni/eibach excellant combo too curik

aaronng
05-06-2007, 02:38 PM

For damping comfort, Bilstein > Koni. :) Of course, the Konis can be set stiffer than the Bilsteins.

Suntzu
05-06-2007, 09:27 PM
Went to a local place in canberra. Wanted $2200 approx to fit eibach and bilstein!

I can get tein ss for $1300 plus fitting.

Can anyone point me to a website or the like where i can get a quote on parts for the eibach springs and bilstein or koni equivalents? I might just order them and get them fitted here.

PM me if you can.

Im hoping the ride will be ok on this spring combination. Im also thinking i wont need a camber kit with the eibachs?

curik
05-06-2007, 11:53 PM
there is no way eibach + bilstein would cost 2200. eibach springs are 500, even my konis were 1000. could a set of shocks cost $1500? You better off go with the Tein SS and use the $900 on something else. As for camber kit, you might need them since I had -3.5 camber before putting them on. -3.5 is not good for your tyres.

tony1234
06-06-2007, 07:28 AM
Went to a local place in canberra. Wanted $2200 approx to fit eibach and bilstein!

I can get tein ss for $1300 plus fitting.

Can anyone point me to a website or the like where i can get a quote on parts for the eibach springs and bilstein or koni equivalents? I might just order them and get them fitted here.

PM me if you can.

Im hoping the ride will be ok on this spring combination. Im also thinking i wont need a camber kit with the eibachs?
Mmm.My Bilsteins cost a bit over $1000,Eibachs cost $500,fitting,alignment(4 wheel)$240.I then needed a rear camber kit,$300 fitted.Tein SS for $1300+fitting sounds good,depending on drop you may need a camber kit with this setup.for Bilsteins call Heasmans at Marrickville.They're the importers.

Suntzu
06-06-2007, 08:46 AM
Got another quote (pedders) : Eibach pro springs plus Koni yellow adjustable $2400 fitted and aligned. Bugger. Might have to go Tein SS. Much cheaper.

eccentric
06-06-2007, 08:55 AM
has anyone here had experience with buddyclub N+ ?

aaronng
06-06-2007, 09:21 AM
That's because you are getting your Tein SS which are grey-imported. If you purchased an Australian-imported unit, it would cost about $2000 anyway.

aaronng
06-06-2007, 09:22 AM
has anyone here had experience with buddyclub N+ ?

Yup, have a look at Sodaz's review: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67615

tony1234
06-06-2007, 10:43 AM
Got another quote (pedders) : Eibach pro springs plus Koni yellow adjustable $2400 fitted and aligned. Bugger. Might have to go Tein SS. Much cheaper.
That's crap.Too much$$$ http://www.gtsuspension.com.au/css/street.php try this site they're in Vic.they do free shipping over certain $$ value.Get on the net,make a few ph.calls,you'll get cheaper than that.good luck.

Suntzu
06-06-2007, 01:53 PM
Im having no luck on eibach and bilsteins. Last quote $2700 with camber kit and no shocks until July.

Any issues with the Grey Import Tein SS compared to the aust delivered ones?

aaronng
06-06-2007, 05:00 PM
Any issues with the Grey Import Tein SS compared to the aust delivered ones?
Nope, at least not until you have to get the dampers rebuilt locally. Then the distributor might not rebuild your grey import SS for you even if you are willing to pay double of what they usually charge. So call up Fulcrum and find out if they are willing to service it.

Merlin086
06-06-2007, 07:36 PM
I have been told by a Fulcrum distributor that if a coilover is sent to them that they have not supplied they WILL NOT repair it under any circumstances.
However I have been in touch with a shock absorber rebuilder who repairs them (Tein SS coilovers) from parts sourced from overseas and not supplied by Fulcrum.
So the answer is grey coilovers can be repaired in Australia no problem.
From memory I was quoted $165 for a rebuild, compared to $220 I think it was from Fulcrum..