PDA

View Full Version : Battery relocation

mooshie
16-04-2007, 03:46 PM
I have moved my battery to the boot of my car but the only hole going through the firewall also has the loom for the ECU going through it.
It is easily big enough to fit the power cable as well, but my question is- will the loom for the ECU 'pickup' the current running through the power cable and cause interference? somewhat similar to what happens when you run power cables next to your audio cables.

At the moment I am running a standard B18C ECU but this will soon be changed to an Autronic. The cable is only next to the loom for about 5-10cm as it passes through the hole.

JasonGilholme
16-04-2007, 04:36 PM
Its easy enough to put the fuse box behind the firewall as well. You can take the bottom off the fuse box and undo all the plugs. Pull it all through, mount it and connect it back up.

XB-16-AX
16-04-2007, 08:00 PM
u can either spray the firewall area or the cable itself (where the hole is) with some insulation spray or insulate the power cable itself.

mooshie
17-04-2007, 03:28 PM
I am not worried about getting a short or a power spike, I am talking about the inductive pickup of 2 wires near each other.

just for extra protection I put the whole cable inside a garden hose, had to slit it down the length and tape it up again but since you can get it for like $5 for 15M its a bargain bit of insurance.

This ECU thing is not a huge concern I just wanted to raise it as an issue because I have never heard it discussed before, but I could see how it could cause a problem.

mooshie
18-04-2007, 07:58 PM
Oh ok! I was beginning to think I had just made up a problem that does not exist because I could not find any info on this anywhere on the net. this sheilding sounds like a good option for peace of mind though. Thanks.