PDA

View Full Version : Is it true?

doosra
17-04-2007, 12:42 PM
Hey guys.
My car is lowered on KMAC springs. 2.5" front, 2" at rear. It has stock shocks and they are worn out and the ride is extra bumpy and its bottoming out.

I spoke to a suspension place, who said with the euro's, because you have it so low, if you replace the shocks with koni yellow's, then it'll still be the same. Is this true? Does anyone have a car lowered similiar to mine with koni yellow's or aftermarket shocks?

Would coilovers be better.. ? i was quoted $2095 for tein ss (including install), what do you think?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Merlin086
17-04-2007, 12:56 PM
Buy your Tein ss jap spec here for <$1400.

The only benefit with Aussie ones are pillow mounts, but these aren't necessary. Jap spec Tein ss are excellent in my opinion with a 2" all round drop.
Couldn't see a problem with another 1/2" drop at the front besides a bit more scraping.
But I kept mine the same on all 4 corners to maintain the balance and integrity of the car as it was designed....... just my thoughts.

I spent $2200 with Tein SS, whiteline RSB, Ingalls RCKit including installation and alignment.

Decisions.....decisions......

bennjamin
17-04-2007, 02:47 PM
well , the lower your car the harsher the ride will be. This is due to reduced shock stroke so the "bump" will transfer into the cars body giving you a bumpy ride. Your best bet , to keep some ride quality , is to get coilovers with adjustable lower perch. This raises and lowers the car if need be , but the spring rate and shock stroke are exactly the same. IT should give a very similar ride no matter what height you want.

AFAIK buddyclub / cusco etc are this type of shock. Some TEIN are only adjustable via one perch so they will become worse the lower you go.

serpo
17-04-2007, 04:28 PM
man get adjustable suspension so when you wana show off just lower it as much as possible then when you wana just drive and enjoy your ride raise it again

aaronng
17-04-2007, 06:08 PM
For a 2" drop, your stock shocks will wear out within a year. I use Tein Flex for just a 1" drop. You can get lowered shocks or go coils (Tein SS is comfy).

doosra
17-04-2007, 09:06 PM
yeah.. i think i'll go with the coilovers.. i'm probably gonna get either tein ss or buddyclub n+
thanks for your input guys.

aimre
18-04-2007, 03:52 PM
man get adjustable suspension so when you wana show off just lower it as much as possible then when you wana just drive and enjoy your ride raise it again

Easier said than done... its like a 1 hour job

IZY-10
19-04-2007, 04:04 PM
For a 2" drop, your stock shocks will wear out within a year. I use Tein Flex for just a 1" drop. You can get lowered shocks or go coils (Tein SS is comfy).

not always true! but a fair enough assumption. my car has been lowered 2" all the way around been like that for 6 years according to receipts and still are good. But just got coilovers incase they blow

doosra
19-04-2007, 11:32 PM
I spoke to a few guys, including a guy from hanny's and he was like.. even if you get coilovers and drop it 2.5" all round.. its still gonna be a bumpy ride.. so i'm still considering whether its worth it or not.. any advice would be good..
especially from ppl who have dropped it that much and have coilovers.. or aftermarket shocks..

BlitZ
19-04-2007, 11:47 PM
koni are nice man.. 2.5" lowered no problems.

BlitZ
19-04-2007, 11:48 PM
the lower your suspension the less travel u get as springs are normally deisnged hard when lower..

besides optimse travel required control arms to be no more than horizontal when cornoring..

iced
20-04-2007, 12:03 AM
get kyb agx or koni yellow or slightly uprated shocks like kyb excel-g

2.5 inch drop is too decked.
2inch drop max is a good rule to follow.

doosra
21-04-2007, 05:34 PM
well.. it's all done.. i got BuddyClub N+ coilovers and dropped it 2.5". Much much more comfy ride than what it was before..
very pleased with the outcome.. even though it cost me a fortune.. anyone want to buy kmac springs.. ? lol..