PDA

View Full Version : timing and dizzy probs

TRB03
17-04-2007, 07:16 PM
Have just done an engine swap on my civic(d15 carb to d16 efi). Have opted to go with a microtech mt8 for management and msd blaster ignition module for extra spark. I have used the dizzy off the d15 carb motor. Trying to set the timing up will this be the same as the d16. I mean will everything work the same because the d15 dizzy has vac advance ( what i thought with this is if i lock it closed and let the microtech do its job then that should be ok) Let me know if this is wrong.

Another thing on my mind is the marks on the balancer there is two of id say the first one is 10 degree btdc and the sec one is tdc, Is this right also.
Because i am trying to set base timing and everytime i do the tdc firing always sets to the 2nd cyl. not all the way back to 1st. Or should i take off the rocker cover and check it that way. To check this cyl 1should be on compression stroke and 4 on rocking is this right.

Any help would be great.

Edgeauto
17-04-2007, 08:30 PM
You will have to use the efi dizzy since it has the the TDC/CYL/CMP sensors in it otherwise your EMS will not know when to spark.

ECU-MAN
17-04-2007, 10:58 PM
what are you useing as an igntion trigger.

inside the carb dizzy there is a magnetic pick up for that will pulse for each cylinder, you should be using that to trigger the MT8. not directly to the msd. make sure you got the firing order right.

on the balancer the single white mark is TDC and the red mark between the non coloured marks is the timing mark.

as edgeauto mentioned, the efi dizzy may give you more control.

TRB03
19-04-2007, 05:43 PM
what are you useing as an igntion trigger.

inside the carb dizzy there is a magnetic pick up for that will pulse for each cylinder, you should be using that to trigger the MT8. not directly to the msd. make sure you got the firing order right.

on the balancer the single white mark is TDC and the red mark between the non coloured marks is the timing mark.

as edgeauto mentioned, the efi dizzy may give you more control.

Yeah i am using the magnetic pik up in the dizzy to fire the mt8 which then in turn is going to the msd to fire the plugs. this is right since i am getting spark from the plugs atm. but not to sure if it is in the right sequence or if i have the firing order right from the timming mark. firirng order is 1342 isnt it(im not 100%) The car is giving me signs of starting. The biggest thing i have to do now is put the elec fuel pump in, I am spraying fuel down the throttle body at the moment , I have done this with cars in the past and has started the engine (but please advise if this wont work with these engines). The mt8 is firing batch mode too.
Also thanks for letting me know the timing marks meanings.

ECU-MAN
19-04-2007, 05:49 PM
yes the firing order is 1 3 4 2

make sure your firing the cylinders on the compression strock, not the rocking stroke, you could have the leads or dizzy drive 180 deg out.

your ghetto way will make the engine do something, but its not testing the injectors. I used an injector flush kit to fuel the engine once, make sure to block the return fuel line.

TRB03
19-04-2007, 06:11 PM
yes the firing order is 1 3 4 2

make sure your firing the cylinders on the compression strock, not the rocking stroke, you could have the leads or dizzy drive 180 deg out.

your ghetto way will make the engine do something, but its not testing the injectors. I used an injector flush kit to fuel the engine once, make sure to block the return fuel line.

Ghetto way. Love the term man thats awesome.
Ahhk so the drive on the dizzy could be out 180, I thought the dizzy could only go in 1 way. Just what i have read some where b4.
But what i will do is get the fuel pump in and get the injectors hooked up and i will get back to ya if i have any more probs. Thanks for the help so far its been very informing

ECU-MAN
19-04-2007, 07:24 PM
no probs.

the dizzy does only attach to the car 1 way, but the drive that goes on the dizzy can be put on 180 deg out. then when attached to the car then its out.

TRB03
19-04-2007, 07:43 PM
no probs.

the dizzy does only attach to the car 1 way, but the drive that goes on the dizzy can be put on 180 deg out. then when attached to the car then its out.

Ok. Thats what i meant the drive part. I thought 'it' could only go on 1 way. Will check all timing issues and see if it lines up right. Thanks alot for the info dude.:thumbsup: