PDA

View Full Version : Distributor Bearing? D16a8

88crx
28-06-2004, 04:31 PM
Sup,

Got a bit of a problem,
The distributor bearing is sounding rooted on my car.
Is there anyway that the bearing can just be replaced,
or do i need the whole lot rebuild (rotor, cap etc etc)??
If so what are the cost's involved? :cry: :cry:
second-hand?
rebuilt?

Engine : D16a8

thanks

LVNIT
28-06-2004, 07:07 PM
That happened to myself, starting making this real bad noise.

I pulled the distributer out, replaced the bearing (cost $20) and put it all back together. Works a dream now :)

Dont go to Honda if you can, they told me you can NOT fix the problem and a new distributer was going to cost $400 something :roll:

Caster®
28-06-2004, 07:25 PM
That happened to myself, starting making this real bad noise.

I pulled the distributer out, replaced the bearing (cost $20) and put it all back together. Works a dream now :)

Dont go to Honda if you can, they told me you can NOT fix the problem and a new distributer was going to cost $400 something :roll:

Had the same problem, had the bearing replaced at Hannys, replacement distributor from Honda that I was quoted was some ridiculous figure

wynode
28-06-2004, 09:10 PM
D series (especially d16a8) is notorious for dizzy problems :|

ECU-MAN
28-06-2004, 09:11 PM
that is very interesting, you can replace the bearing and it will be fine, but I was told that honda had a Paitent on the bearing and that no one could remanufacture it, anyway that was for the accords and prelude 94 earard. I used to rip out the bearings from old ditributors and reuse them.

LVNIT
28-06-2004, 09:17 PM
Ah I went to a shop in Canberra that has every different type of Bearing you could possibly find, was just a matter of getting the correct one.

As you said though, that was for the Accords and Preludes...tough break

TOYOL
28-06-2004, 10:03 PM
D series (especially d16a8) is notorious for dizzy problems :|

What does the "sound" sound like? Is it like a churning and humming noise? Is a D16a8 the same as a D16y8?

LVNIT
28-06-2004, 10:30 PM
It sounds like a really harsh metal grounding against metal sound? Thats the only way I can describe, you will certainly notice it, thats for sure.

88crx
29-06-2004, 11:01 AM
It sounds like a really harsh metal grounding against metal sound

yeah sounds like the bearing is chewing itself :D
+ red dust inside dizzy cap
(sign that the bearing is gone bye bye)

thanks guys gonna try now and get it checked out.

might just get the dizzy rebuilt as i dont know how much damage
it has done inside the housing.

thanks

:D

civicboy
29-06-2004, 10:33 PM
It sounds like a really harsh metal grounding against metal sound? Thats the only way I can describe, you will certainly notice it, thats for sure.is it when you starting up the car then it makes that sort of noise; but then the engine is running ?

LVNIT
30-06-2004, 12:09 PM
Nah it tends to be the whole time. Because the distributer is constantly moving as it provides spark to the spark plugs.

Hope I got that right..

88crx
30-06-2004, 02:53 PM
Nah it tends to be the whole time. Because the distributer is constantly moving as it provides spark to the spark plugs.

correct :D

yeah its constant because its trying to spin but the bearing is screwed.