PDA

View Full Version : HID's? Which ones are for me? What do the specs mean Etc?

Sexc86
17-04-2007, 11:30 PM
Hey guys

The HID mod has been on my mind for some time now, however after constantly looking i have not found any concrete info on them yet. From what i have gathered there are many many brands of the HIDS available. By HID i am not just talking about a lamp, i mean the kit with the transformers, ballests and lamps etc.

But basically what is the difference between

"High End HID" & "Low end Hid" also stats like 6000k, 8000k 10000k and 12000k etc

Also what are the terms in relation to the kits h1, h3,h4,h7, h11, hb3, hb4?

also seem to be many different brands out there, what give the best results or are best value for money... more to the point what is the JUNK i should stay away from?

also what is the usuall life on these kits? can you get replacement lamps? are they universal or brand specific?

Also i have herd pros and cons to useing them on angle eye projector headlights? if i were to use them why would it be so different then to useing them instandard head lights?

Thanks in advance

Regards Lyle

EG5[KRT]
18-04-2007, 12:03 AM
high and low kits have high beam and low beam..
6000k and 8000k etc is the temp they are at i.e 6000 kelvin etc.. usually the higher the k rating the bluer the light

h1 h3 is the type of bulb that fits into your headlight.

on most egs its h4.. on angel eyes the headlight sometime is h1 or h7

brands that are good are phillips,bosch,narva,piaa,
with the good brands you can usually get replacement bulbs and ballasts n stuff. but the cheaper ones only come as a kit.
best not to mix brands .. coz that usually shortens the life of the hids.. or it may not even work.

supposedly on angle eye projectors they melt the housing of the light.. dunno thats wat i have heard.

standard lights dont have the right focus for the beam.. u need a projector housing so that u have the light focused in one general direction instead of everywhere.

hui
18-04-2007, 12:05 AM
i dont think there is a high end, low end kit. you get what you pay for..
if you purchase a hid conversion kit, it'll come with ballast bulbs etc, just need to install it.

the light or brightness produced are measured in kelvin, thats why you see 4300k, 5000k, 6000k etc the higher you go the bluer it gets.

if your car utilizes h4 bulbs then you would purchase a h4 kit.

[[d a n n y]]
18-04-2007, 01:37 AM
lyle if u have different headlights other than your stock 1's u dont need the high/lo kit but if u do have your stock headlights u need to use H4 kit.
i recomend soemwhere around the 6000-7000 range. anything more will blind the shit out of other people

preludacris
18-04-2007, 02:11 AM
i have MTEC, had no probs over the last 1.5 years+

6000k, bright white, with a tinge of blue. and they are a good price too.

wouldnt go for china brand, they getting better these days, but yeah few ppl i know have blown bulbs, all china brands.

Sexc86
18-04-2007, 08:32 AM
With angle eye projectors as they have 2 lamps in each headlight? (high beam and low beam separate) could i purchase 2 sets of HIDs with different rateing on each set for the HIGH and NORMAL beam? also any way of telling what sort of lamp i willl need? H1, h4, H7 etc etc? is it writting somewhere usually on the lamp in my car?

ALso whats the go with the colours they come in? orange, yellow, white blue etc etc?

bennjamin
18-04-2007, 09:06 AM
With angle eye projectors as they have 2 lamps in each headlight? (high beam and low beam separate) could i purchase 2 sets of HIDs with different rateing on each set for the HIGH and NORMAL beam? also any way of telling what sort of lamp i willl need? H1, h4, H7 etc etc? is it writting somewhere usually on the lamp in my car?

ALso whats the go with the colours they come in? orange, yellow, white blue etc etc?

your globe is H4 ~so the replacement would be a H4 HID. Correcto ?
Since the stock bulb is dual function (low/hi) can someone confirm that the HID replacement , would be lo/hi beam too ?
The colours are dependant on the tempreture , in degrees kelvin.
Lower temp = more orange tinge. Higher temp = more blue tinge.

GReY_CVC
18-04-2007, 09:17 AM
your globe is H4 ~so the replacement would be a H4 HID. Correcto ?
Since the stock bulb is dual function (low/hi) can someone confirm that the HID replacement , would be lo/hi beam too ?
The colours are dependant on the tempreture , in degrees kelvin.
Lower temp = more orange tinge. Higher temp = more blue tinge.

No he doesnt necessarily have to get the H4 hi/lo kit... the normal low beam is sufficient and much cheaper than Hi/Lo.. however the high beam will not be usable ... so yeah depends on what you want... :thumbsup:

vtec-NA.th
18-04-2007, 01:13 PM
hi i have a honda jazz 2007 vti-s

what bulb does it use or where can i find this information?

oh and also, will i need to change anything to my lights if i get a conversion kit so that it doesnt blind other drivers? I want to get a 6000K one..

bennjamin
18-04-2007, 02:03 PM
No he doesnt necessarily have to get the H4 hi/lo kit... the normal low beam is sufficient and much cheaper than Hi/Lo.. however the high beam will not be usable ... so yeah depends on what you want... :thumbsup:

thanks for that insight - i totally understand that the low beam will be OK indeed.

Sexc86
18-04-2007, 03:55 PM
hmmm im not really following Basicall, My Eg civic has Angel Eye head light projectors. In Each Head light there are 2 separate lamps and a lense for each. 1 for High beam and 1 for low beam. Therefor for both Left and Right head light i have 4 lamps, (Low beam L + R, High beam L + R)

Now what i have noticed with HID kids they are sold as a pair of 2. Could i purchase 2 hid kids in different strengths (eg 6k for low beam and 10k for high beam) and use the them that way? one kit for low beam and one kit for high beam as with the angle eyes they have a lense for each lamp (high and low)

Does that make sense at all?

Ps Dont hijack my thred, if you have questions about your situation start up a new thred

pps how do i tell what lamp i have? so i can get the right replacement?

[[d a n n y]]
18-04-2007, 04:13 PM
hmmm im not really following Basicall, My Eg civic has Angel Eye head light projectors. In Each Head light there are 2 separate lamps and a lense for each. 1 for High beam and 1 for low beam. Therefor for both Left and Right head light i have 4 lamps, (Low beam L + R, High beam L + R)

Now what i have noticed with HID kids they are sold as a pair of 2. Could i purchase 2 hid kids in different strengths (eg 6k for low beam and 10k for high beam) and use the them that way? one kit for low beam and one kit for high beam as with the angle eyes they have a lense for each lamp (high and low)

Ps Dont hijack my thred, if you have questions about your situation start up a new thred

that makes it easier u can retain your Hibeam and just get HID's for your low beam if just get the kit for the low beams

eg. if u have H3 bulbs on your angel lights then u just need a H3 HId kit

Sexc86
18-04-2007, 04:27 PM
thats what i was leaning towards, how do i tell what lamps my angle eyes have? eg h3, h4, h7 etc etc?

[[d a n n y]]
18-04-2007, 04:34 PM
thats what i was leaning towards, how do i tell what lamps my angle eyes have? eg h3, h4, h7 etc etc?

take the bulb out and have a look at the base it should say wat it is..
or if u cant find it take the bulb out and take a foto and well tell u

Sexc86
18-04-2007, 04:38 PM
nice mate, thank you very very much! also i have herd stories about HIDs burning / melting the HID projectors, in which case does anyone know what heat they are good for? or is anyone useing hid on angle eye projectors? if so what heat and any unexpected problems i hsould know about?

as i was thinking about 6k low and 10k high ?

[[d a n n y]]
18-04-2007, 05:47 PM
hm.. u dont have to touch highbeam it'll be useless as they have to power up to the right temp.. just get low beams (power up as in they need to get warmed up just for 1 use of high beam..

NeoNode
18-04-2007, 08:04 PM
There's a good reason why factory lights are in a certain kelvin range, they provide the best visibility at night time.
Go beyond that range it's just becomes a wank factor, not to mention hazardous to your own saftey as well as other drivers. (eg when it's raining etc etc)

And the reason why you hear stories of headlights melting is more due to the fact they are made with such poor quality, considering HID's consume less power than halogens, I can't see them being any hotter when working.

Go educate yourself here, 10,000k highbeams is just silly IMO.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/tech.html

Sexc86
18-04-2007, 10:00 PM
Wow thats a really good read! however can i get some first hand advice or experience on HIDS in projectors, what to get and if ishould expect any problems, if so what?

NeoNode
18-04-2007, 10:11 PM
That website tells you all the information you need to know and what to expect if you used reflectors or projectors.

Bottom line, buying headlights with reflectors/projectors that's not made for HID's will cause glare, retrofitting proper projectors into existing housing is a much better alternative.
There's really nothing else to be said, except maybe headlights for LHD vehicles are not for use in RHD countries.

But be warned, you get what you paid for, buy crap, get crap in regards aftermarket headlights.

vtec-NA.th
19-04-2007, 12:33 AM
I just thought I would use this thread because it is pretty stupid making so many threads about a similar issue. =\

Sexc86
19-04-2007, 02:20 PM
sorry champ, nothin personal, maybe you can keep your questions to PM next time?

underc35a
19-04-2007, 03:29 PM
Bottom line, buying headlights with reflectors/projectors that's not made for HID's will cause glare, retrofitting proper projectors into existing housing is a much better alternative.

Well said neo

Sexc86
24-04-2007, 05:16 AM
are spearlight and asic good brands?

vertex_s15
25-04-2007, 12:56 AM
There are litterally zillions of HID kits on the market made from ALL over the world.

big brands such as japanese companies are raybrig, piaa, Bellof, BJ UNION, 88house are definately leading companies in producing quality products but they dont come cheap at all...ITS BEEN SAID, U PAY FOR WAT U GET.

These expensive hid kits usually come with ignitors seperate from the ballast, these allow the system to run more reliable and well safer and last longer.

Not saying other brands are not good or run well, but japanese kits are in my opinion much better in quality in the wire harnesses, ignitors, burners and ballast systems

Also when buying HID kits, best advise i can give is to buy from a shop who also installs so they can cover warranty, there are far to many hid kits sold with "backed by 1 year warranty" and when they fail, and customers TRY to claim damage, the warranty does not go through with excuses of "oh u didnt fit with us" or the purchaser tried to install them themselves and farked something up good and proper, so best to pay extra money, get the shop who sold them to u fit them to cover all warranty, u get peace of mind!

HID burners are suppose to run cooler than normal halogen bulbs as the heat is dissapaited in the ballast themselves. I have seen angel eyes say no HIDs, but ives seen many angel eyes with projector lens fitted with HID kit but dont take my word for it.

Sexc86
25-04-2007, 04:11 PM
awsome guys learning ALOT here!

i took some photos of the lamps i have, could anyone tell me what exactly the are or what i actuallly need to replace them with HID wise... eg H4 h7 etc etc

http://i12.tinypic.com/451zdav.jpg
http://i18.tinypic.com/3509khz.jpg
http://i17.tinypic.com/4413sq1.jpg

underc35a
25-04-2007, 05:37 PM
Their H1s

Sexc86
25-04-2007, 05:48 PM
are you sure? can anyone confirm that?

underc35a
25-04-2007, 05:50 PM
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html

scroll down to H1

Sexc86
25-04-2007, 06:01 PM
awssomme thanks mate! rep point for you!

vertex_s15
25-04-2007, 06:21 PM
yup defiantely h1, so u should have another separate bulb completey for high beam, so all u need is a hid kit h1 low beam, which will be cheaper as well

With the h1s i have found and installed, some kits the hid bulbs can be abit fat, some are ok, if they are abit fat, u will need to file down the bulb base or if the bulb is too fat and the hole is too small,

u will need to file down the hole in the headlight (if u got the tools, use a die grinder for faster action) , make sure u take out the headlight and file upside down and use a vaccumm at the same time or all the filings will go into the headlight and thats a real pain to get out...well all these hopefully doesnt happen if ur lucky and depends wat car u drive, in my expierience happens several times on nissan skylines and silvias.

Sexc86
26-04-2007, 03:06 PM
Has anyone herd of ASIC or Spearlight Hid's and are they any good? anyone had any experience with them?

Sexc86
29-04-2007, 05:14 PM
anyone?

vertex_s15
29-04-2007, 05:40 PM
http://www.ed-shop.jp/pitem/71780050

heres a link for asic, looks like ballast and ignitor in built into one, "LOOKS" like a cheaper type taiwan or china hid kit

DC2
02-05-2007, 09:44 AM
How about Integra DC2 ??? H4 as well?

vertex_s15
02-05-2007, 11:13 AM
dc2 integra as in the ozzie spec with the 4 round eyes, the headlights are hb4 bulb or 9006, so they have their low beam separate from they high beam bulbs

Kind regards

Wei

DC2
02-05-2007, 11:29 AM
Thx for ur useful info. Btw, is hb=high beam? coz i only wanna change my low beam in to HID...so hb 4 or 9006 that u were saying still the size for low beam?

vertex_s15
02-05-2007, 11:31 AM
thats correct hb4 is low beam only, u dont need to change high beam to hid, else u will need 2 hid kits, cost too much lol