PDA

View Full Version : Are the following mods legal in Aus?

Marc2020
18-04-2007, 10:58 AM
I am thinking about trying to order these from the US. But I read somewhere that fitting projector headlights into a car not designed for them was illegal. I just wanted to check to see if they are legal or not. I also want to remove my side indicators and install a set of mirrors with LED indicators, is that legal?

Head Lights (http://www.procivic.com/pages-product_car_part_info/category-71_130/product-854/index.html)

Tail Lights (http://www.procivic.com/pages-product_car_part_info/category-71_131/product-866/index.html)

EuroDude
18-04-2007, 11:06 AM
The taillights in the US are different, they have a RED indicator. You need an Orange indicator.

The front headlights may be fine since they are clear. you need to use an Orange bulb though. Plus they need to follow a compliance to be legal - cant remember which compliance it needs to follow

Marc2020
18-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Good point I never noticed that. Thanks for pointing it out. Whatever the case I am going to try and find a place in Aus that sells them before I go looking overseas.

serpo
18-04-2007, 12:30 PM
Headligts r illegal aswell they need to be aproved by the Aus government sorry man but cops never realy check anyhows

dsp26
18-04-2007, 12:31 PM
It'll be cheaper overseas.... theres always a set with the clear indicator lens... so you can just buy the orange tinted globes from supercheap.

as for the halos, make sure the actual halo is white coloured only... any other colour is a no no here.

***EDIT***
oh btw the prices on those sites are exy... eBay ones are heaps cheaper....

HanifB16A2
18-04-2007, 01:03 PM
Make sure its for RHD car too.

bennjamin
18-04-2007, 02:02 PM
Just to let you know -

ANY modifications not certified are usually illegal.
Its pure chance if you get defected , depending on the attitude of the police officer overlooking your car.

Jarkz
18-04-2007, 02:30 PM
have a look at motorware.com.au in melb dude they may have OZ complied headlights for your car.

I have had no drama's from the cops with mine fitted...

Joeyboy
18-04-2007, 03:07 PM
my 2 cents

my headlights are halos from US. i've had them for 1.5yrs...been pulled over by cops twice for blue park lights, buy both times never mentioned abt my heads.

my tailights from US as well with red blinkers...i just bought green bulbs (from autobarn) to make it amber. both times cops have seen them but never mentioned anything abt it.

Side mirrors with LEDs - i have a pair too and they never mentioned anything about it (as long as amber blinkers).

if they are illegal, just pray and hope that u wont get cops that are cluey with cars and mods, lol

Marc2020
18-04-2007, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I will check out the aus complianced places first, and then see what mods are needed to make the overseas ones more legit. I really do like the look of those headlights, I just think they look sexy.

18-04-2007, 05:48 PM
i had mine in for 1 year .. those projector lights, and fitted with hid ..

brake light at the back ... almost the same style too for my accord..
only have 3 bulbs placement 2 red 1 clear... i use the clear for indicators as it have to be yellow.. and reverse i connect it to the brake.. so when i brake .. 2 lights come on .. when on reverse is the same 2 lights on .. (u rarely reverse out anyway :p) ...

never face trouble here in perth ... BUT is too RISKY for me to do that.. (not recomended but its at ur own will)

but i duno about other states

Drew
18-04-2007, 07:04 PM
Headlights from America will be illegal in Australia

LHD cars the headlights put more light to the right hand side to illuminate signs and the footpath

If you use them here they will blind oncoming traffic...

The headlights MUST be made for a RHD car

There is a small marking on the clear cover to state whether its for RHD or LHD application

Most people here won't be aware of this especially cops as there are few imports and hardly if any LHD cars... In New Zealand it's fairly common knowledge as you are allowed LHD cars but under certain circumstances, its rare but not uncommon

Joeyboy
18-04-2007, 07:16 PM
Headlights from America will be illegal in Australia

LHD cars the headlights put more light to the right hand side to illuminate signs and the footpath

arent the lights adjustable in these aftermarket headlights?? coz mine are. :D

that being said im not sure if all of them are.

the 2nd time that i got pulled over by a cop car, they were oncoming...but never mentioned abt my heads ... sweeet :thumbsup:

Drew
18-04-2007, 07:35 PM
The housing is specifically designed to point a beam of light into certain directions, this cannot be altered after manufacturing

Like an OEM assembly it will allow for adjustment of beam height and possibly side to side but still the beam is projected incorrectly

The left and right reflectors are physically different

18-04-2007, 09:13 PM
The housing is specifically designed to point a beam of light into certain directions, this cannot be altered after manufacturing

Like an OEM assembly it will allow for adjustment of beam height and possibly side to side but still the beam is projected incorrectly

The left and right reflectors are physically different

do you think china will make this kinda of stuff :confused: i dun think so ..
this lights are made in taiwan .. mostly are made by TYC lights company ...
they dont make it any diffrence than just a straight focuses (hopefully they are straight) ..

coz mine are adjustable to right left down up.. and nothing as what u say lights concetrated at some where else ...

edit: Unless there was a defect in the projectors as u know china :p un reliable .. some projectors are out of place or come out from its seats so its facing somewhere elses :)

Drew
18-04-2007, 10:46 PM
To be sold/used in America they need to comply with DOT standards

So where they are made really has no impact on the design of the product

I would say as for adjustment every car has it, it's only a few screws to adjust the beam... Not like it's super complicated

You misunderstood me, the left beam should be thrown out to the left side a lot more than the right beam is thrown to the right, in order to illuminate the footpath

http://hella2.co.nz/technical/headlamps/ff_e.jpg

Like that, you see how the right one illuminates differently to the left
Essentially to be legal here, they need to be the other way around

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/codes/codes.html

18-04-2007, 11:00 PM
hemp... that make sense .. well... i didnt really know about that. but my light seems pretty alrite or i might not know the beam were like that..

cheers :)

Drew
18-04-2007, 11:02 PM
I'm sure that everyone that's driving towards you just wants to swerve into you :P

Read that link and see what standards your headlight complies with, it might be ok... might not be

Sooooo many people here drive with their high beams on and/or misaligned headlamps

ECE/EEC Marking: Headlamp Suitability for Traffic Direction

This is a very important marking. All low ("passing", "lower", "dipped") beams are an asymmetrical distribution of light to give maximum seeing in the direction of travel while controlling glare light directed towards oncoming traffic. A headlamp intended for use in traffic that flows on the right side of the road must never be used on the left side of the road, nor must a left-traffic headlamp ever be used on the right side of the road. A wrong-side-of-road headlamp does not provide adequate illumination for the driver to see what he needs to see in order to drive safely, and severely blinds oncoming traffic. This cannot be corrected by adjusting the aim of the lamp, because traffic-handedness is intrinsic in the optics of the lamp. This means it is very unsafe to use UK-spec, Australian-spec, or Japanese-spec ("JDM") headlamps in the United States, Canada, Continental Europe or any other location that drives on the right side of the road. Many performance parts dealers are illegally importing and selling JDM or wrong-side-of-road ECE headlamps into North America, and touting them as a "performance improvement". They may or may not have ECE headlamp markings, but they are not a performance improvement -- they are a danger.

Marc2020
19-04-2007, 08:40 AM
I never knew beams were focused that way, it makes sense though. So as long as I got my parts from like Japan or the UK its alright?

Marc2020
19-04-2007, 08:53 AM
One other thing is, will headlights like those allow me to aim the lamps properly? So I dont end up blinding incoming traffic.

Drew
19-04-2007, 12:43 PM
If it's made to a DOT standard in which case it will have like DOT53 or something else stamped on the housing, then it's made for America and can't be used here

If it has a ECE/EEC normally just 'E' with a number then it will be ok

Just read the link I posted up

Getting it from anywhere that had RHD cars you should be safe just email and ask them if they are indeed for a RHD car before you buy it

Photonic_Si
19-04-2007, 09:44 PM
there is an ajustment slider. and screw ajusters to change the beam angle. they are fully ajustable to send light wherever u want them to. they are crap. they look ****ed and they will degrade the look of your vehicle. also they will leak water and they will fog up because the come with the cheapest nasty dust boots ever.
Dont bother