PDA

View Full Version : Honda Aus we want a suspension upgrade! - EURO

yfin
28-06-2004, 08:15 PM
Honda (Acura) in the US is shortly to release an A-Spec suspension kit that will fit the Euro. New struts and springs are around $600USD and lower the car 25mm with full factory warranty. Honda UK has also released a similar kit.

Check out -

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11184&highlight=a-spec

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7907353268&category=33 590

Who would be interested in this kit if it was available in Aus?

I have sent an email to Honda Aus asking whether it will be made available here. I will let you know what response I get.

euro77
28-06-2004, 08:57 PM
I would be interested, but geez that's a hefty price to pay.

wynode
28-06-2004, 09:04 PM
Interesting.....keep us informed!

Calvo
28-06-2004, 09:31 PM
USD$600 isnt that high a price to pay for new springs and struts.

well i dont think so anyway

toE
28-06-2004, 11:28 PM
USD$600 isnt that high a price to pay for new springs and struts.

well i dont think so anyway

:nod:

bigdongers
29-06-2004, 02:11 AM
is that price including fitting? knowing Honda Oz, if that option comes here, they will charge a bigger mark up on the part itself and then real high labour costs for fitting it :(

yfin
10-07-2004, 07:39 PM
Update - Honda Australia responded to my email. They have no plans to bring this kit to Australia....

Bummer...

Euro_Boy
21-07-2004, 04:54 PM
Being from NSW, to supply and fit aftermarket springs on average for most cars only is about $400.

So for $600 with struts (it probably does not include labour) however it still great value.

Suntzu
06-06-2005, 09:24 AM
Yeah, I think Yfin bought some gear of a Guy in USA Ebay? He seemed to have the A spec kit. I wonder if shipping would be resonable. I would expect about $150 USD for shipping given I import 20-30 kgs box from NYC every month an its about $150.

How did you go with that Ebay guy Yfin? He seems to have a lot of TSX gear.

Im guessing the A-spec suspension and Body kit would fit ok to our euro. Anyone got any experiences to share with this type of import?

VirIIx
06-06-2005, 09:34 AM
out of curiosity,

if i had to say import the a-spec kit.. why would i do that when i can get an aftermarket one that's cheaper? maybe supposedly better and either way i won't have the warranty..

just a thought?

Ronin 09
06-06-2005, 09:38 AM
Warranty would be good though... I wonder if Honda Aus would honour the warranty if you had imported the A-Spec and fitted it...

That said, do we know the specs (the link is gone!!)? Is the A-Spec US kit something like what we already have (ie, seeing that US cars are generally a little wafty, this A-Spec kit may be our existing shocks with lower springs)

Suntzu
06-06-2005, 09:42 AM
I was thinking to get the a-spec cause I have NFI what springs to order that will give me improved handling without degrading the ride a lot?? Also I figured for warranty reasons it might be better.

Im open to suggestions though.

adammet04
06-06-2005, 09:49 AM
yepppppp

me would be interested..but no doubt honda australia will say no...

<edit> oh yeah they did say no...should have read the entire thread..</edit>

aleksandrov
06-09-2005, 01:22 PM
$600 US (about $800AU) would be a killer deal for a high quality set of shocks and springs, especially ones that are specifically engineered for the car in question. Quality aftermarket sets cost around $1,800 for supply only (Eibach springs and Koni or Bilstein shocks, for example). However, I haven't been able to find any reviews to see how the A-Spec compares to aftermarket suspension kits.

Tobster
06-09-2005, 01:58 PM
I've always assumed that the US A-spec kit and the kit offered by Honda UK is the Modulo one through Honda Japan:

http://www.honda.co.jp/ACCESS/automobiles/accord/modulo/m_exterior_02.html

Honda Australia really doesn't seem to be particularly interested in options if you consider all the options available through dealers overseas compared to what's available here: suspension, exhausts, wheels, protective body mouldings, plus a range of other goodies...

There's a comparative review of the A-spec kit at the Temple of VTEC:
http://vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=264032

aleksandrov
06-09-2005, 02:26 PM
... all the options available through dealers overseas compared to what's available here: suspension, exhausts, wheels, protective body mouldings, plus a range of other goodies...

Do you know if any overseas dealers ship to Australia? If not, what would be the best way to import these options?

madjace
06-09-2005, 04:38 PM
maybe if we started sending emails to honda they might consider bringing the kit here . i would like to lower the car but dont want to take awat too much from the comfy ride , also if honda fitted it they would honour the warranmty

EuroAccord13
06-09-2005, 10:44 PM
600USD good IF Honda Australia provides Warranty, otherwise I'll stick to aftermarket coilovers :P

stephen8512
07-09-2005, 12:24 AM
yeah
personally i'd much rather get an aftermarket spring/shock combo here rather than getting a spec sussy.
koni/eibachs = never fails. but it does come at a price.....
BUT like i always say, with modifications on cars, u get what you pay for
D2 coilovers/tanabe sustec/tein flex are all good coilovers as well....
i'd pick these over the aspec sussy. each to their own though i suppose

UNLS1
07-09-2005, 07:25 PM
we will never get it, just dont have the market for it here.

Nickt
08-09-2005, 09:18 AM
I'm glad we are not getting it, because I just had the Euro lowered with Eibachs for $650...ride is good, but is slightly stiffer than the ride previously (05 Lux). Anyone with the OEM 16" setup may notice it quite a bit more...but overall I am very happy. The car has no camber issues and sits perfectly. Only gripe is that I noticed some noises as the springs settled initially (like the springs moving as they settled into place). This has subsided over time.

Next step is to get the Koni shocks...

madjace
08-09-2005, 10:59 AM
I'm glad we are not getting it, because I just had the Euro lowered with Eibachs for $650...ride is good, but is slightly stiffer than the ride previously (05 Lux). Anyone with the OEM 16" setup may notice it quite a bit more...but overall I am very happy. The car has no camber issues and sits perfectly. Only gripe is that I noticed some noises as the springs settled initially (like the springs moving as they settled into place). This has subsided over time.

Next step is to get the Koni shocks...

I would be intertetsted in doing this if the ride quality is not affected . tell me a bit about your experince with the eibah springs and where did you get it done ? i want to lower the car but i want the nice ride aswell .. lowering would just be for looks as honda has released a car that is a bit to high ( starting to become a theme with them ..

yfin
10-09-2005, 07:04 PM
I got the Euro CL9 sports suspension sold in the UK this weekend (but made in japan). Lowers the car 20mm to 30mm. Is a complete shock/spring changeover. Hopefully fitting it next week (fingers crossed hey?). I don't have any pics today - maybe tomorrow.

Chris_F
10-09-2005, 07:17 PM
yfin - that's cool about your suspension from the UK...

i don't know of anyone else with the same - did it work out fairly cheap or expensive?

yfin
10-09-2005, 07:28 PM
yfin - that's cool about your suspension from the UK...

i don't know of anyone else with the same - did it work out fairly cheap or expensive?

ahhh hard to say really. I got it as part of a package deal with genuine euro r kit & grill (no radiator piece :( ), fogs (no harness :(), and some carbon fibre interior pieces (i haven't seen sold here). Euroaccord13 loves the carbon fibre! I reserve my thoughts until it is on the car.

I was shopping for the euro r kit mainly - but ended up with the suspension as part of a package price. Apparently the stuff was on this Honda promotional vehicle in Melbourne for 1500kms (see pic)- so it is all second hand but appears to be in good shape. i do have a bit of stuffing around with things like the harness etc and I do not see all the clips for the kit.

Fingers crossed on the suspension - should be ok - afterall it was engineered for this car. I just don't think the drop will be enough - time will tell.
http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=508/62022802.jpg

aleksandrov
11-09-2005, 03:47 PM
I was shopping for the euro r kit mainly - but ended up with the suspension as part of a package price. Apparently the stuff was on this Honda promotional vehicle in Melbourne for 1500kms (see pic)- so it is all second hand but appears to be in good shape. i do have a bit of stuffing around with things like the harness etc and I do not see all the clips for the kit.

Do you mind telling us which dealer you bought it from? Perhaps they can get more?

stephen8512
11-09-2005, 04:17 PM
ooooh
carbon fibre! i want it! yoram, which interior pieces are the CF bits?

yfin
11-09-2005, 07:29 PM
ooooh
carbon fibre! i want it! yoram, which interior pieces are the CF bits?

It's nothing special really - will post up pics in different thread as it is a different topic

yfin
11-09-2005, 07:31 PM
Do you mind telling us which dealer you bought it from? Perhaps they can get more?

Any honda dealer can get you Euro R parts including the body kit. I actually got this from another member on this forum who had the stuff in melb - if he can get more I am sure he will let us know.

aleksandrov
11-09-2005, 07:45 PM
Any honda dealer can get you Euro R parts including the body kit. I actually got this from another member on this forum who had the stuff in melb - if he can get more I am sure he will let us know.

Can you name any dealer? Three dealers in Sydney have already told me that they can't (probably just 'won't') get Euro R parts or anything else that doesn't come as standard or accessory on Australian Euros. Perhap I need to buy from interstate.

yfin
11-09-2005, 07:48 PM
Can you name any dealer? Three dealers in Sydney have already told me that they can't (probably just 'won't') get Euro R parts or anything else that doesn't come as standard or accessory on Australian Euros. Perhap I need to buy from interstate.

Well I know Honda North in Perth told me if I give them the part number they can get any honda part for any Honda in the world. They just don't keep stock so it is a special order from overseas.

I know Peekay34 got his Euro R pedals from Astoria Honda in Melbourne (correct me if i am wrong peekay)- same thing - gave them the part number and ordered them.

Loc888 got his genuine Euro R body kit from an aftermarket place in Sydney - pm him for details.

stephen8512
11-09-2005, 07:50 PM
sydney - IS MOTORRACING

yoram, congrats on ur bodykit purchase! its gonna look sweet as!
whens it due?

yfin
11-09-2005, 07:51 PM
sydney - IS MOTORRACING

yoram, congrats on ur bodykit purchase! its gonna look sweet as!
whens it due?

I have it in Melbourne in my garage. Will fit it maybe in Jan when I am back or when I get back from o/s next year.

Anyway - lets keep this topic on CL9 suspension. I have the part number for that CL9 Honda sports suspension kit - if someone is keen you could order it from your dealer too. Honda Australia doesn't appear to have much interest in selling it here. Or maybe before you do anything wait for me to fit mine (fingers crossed) and a review. :rolleyes:

The other option is if you are travelling overseas in europe you could purchase from any Honda dealer (485 pounds according to Honda UK website) and bring back the suspension in your luggage. It weighs 21kg so you would need to use most of your luggage allowance. MIght be an option for some people who frequently travel to Europe.

aleksandrov
11-09-2005, 08:30 PM
... CL9 suspension. I have the part number for that CL9 Honda sports suspension kit - if someone is keen you could order it from your dealer too.
What's the number?

And do you have the number for the Euro R grill and the plastic 'seal' that fits on top of it, along the length of the front part of the bonnet?

Or maybe before you do anything wait for me to fit mine (fingers crossed) and a review. :rolleyes:
That would be great if you were fitting it a littlle sooner than Jan 06 - like September 06, for example. :D

yfin
11-09-2005, 08:37 PM
What's the number?

And do you have the number for the Euro R grill and the plastic 'seal' that fits on top of it, along the length of the front part of the bonnet?

That would be great if you were fitting it a littlle sooner than Jan 06 - like September 06, for example. :D

08W60-SEA-600 - as seen in this brochure
http://www.honda.co.uk/owner/pdfs/ACCORD03YM.pdf

I think the auto version has an "A" on the end.

Fitting suspension in next week or two

Re the euro r grill - do a search - Loc888 once posted up a diagram of the grill with all the part numbers.

aleksandrov
11-09-2005, 09:58 PM
08W60-SEA-600 - as seen in this brochure
http://www.honda.co.uk/owner/pdfs/ACCORD03YM.pdf

I think the auto version has an "A" on the end.

Fitting suspension in next week or two

Re the euro r grill - do a search - Loc888 once posted up a diagram of the grill with all the part numbers.

Thanks a lot for that info.

Do you know whether the European sports suspension is the same as on the Japanese market Euro R?

Sorry if that's too many questions. :)

yfin
11-09-2005, 10:13 PM
Thanks a lot for that info.

Do you know whether the European sports suspension is the same as on the Japanese market Euro R?

Sorry if that's too many questions. :)

No I don't know -- but I think it is unlikely to be the same.

Nickt
12-09-2005, 01:24 PM
Sorry for the late reply...had a big weekend :)

The ride is harsher with the Eibachs, but I am told it is the best you are going to get with a 'springs only' lowering considering the ride on the 05 Lux is stiff to begin with...it is not that bad, but my wife has noticed it!

If you upgrade your shocks, this will bring the ride quality back a little, but it will still be firmer than standard.

The drop is perfect for the car, and as I said, I had no camber issues, although one thing I did notice was the front end settled quicker than the rear which made the car a bit uneven for the first few days. Also during this period I was hearing some clunks from the rear but was told these would subside as the rear settled (which they did and it has done).

The car sits very evenly now and I would estimate it is about a 25 - 30mm drop. I will take some photos soon.

Compared with my last car (S15 200SX), which I lowered using super low king springs, the ride quality is excellent. Whatever you do, dont get king springs, or pedders or k-mac, as far as I know, they are all manufactured by the same company and just painted a different colour!

splinter
13-09-2005, 10:13 PM
Nickt, how did you get Eibachs 30mm drop?. thought they do 1 1/2" ??

madjace
14-09-2005, 09:49 AM
i am waiting for a reply from honda as too id the uk suspension will affect warranty .. will post the results

Thorn2004
14-09-2005, 11:07 AM
I would love to do some mods to my Luxury Euro but the missus won't let me :( Even a kit is probably pushing it!! She will come around :)

nexace
14-09-2005, 01:35 PM
I would love to do some mods to my Luxury Euro but the missus won't let me :( Even a kit is probably pushing it!! She will come around :)

I know how you feel! :D

Actually I got the Euro for the comfort and probably wouldn't think that suspension upgrades would make this better. I've already modified my civic so had my fun there. Most likely the Euro will stay stock as it's good enough for me that way.

But suspension upgrade might be tempting. :rolleyes:

yfin
16-09-2005, 11:39 PM
Got my honda sports suspension fitted today. The drop was lower than I was expecting! :D Here is a sneak preview - beter pics tomorrow. For some reason this front side pictured is about 1cm higher - so the drop on the other front side is even lower. Maybe that will settle -or maybe it is normal (saw a thread about this somewhere).

Ride is surprisingly just like stock. What I did notice straight away is much less dive under braking or acceleration. Damn nice cornering too - quite impressed how tidy it feels. This car is so far ahead in handling from when my Euro was stock it isn't funny (mods for handling - suspension, sway bar, strut brace, rims and tyres).

In terms of the finger test - it is a very tight 2 fingers at the rear - and loose 2 fingers at front right - with front passenger nearing 2.5 fingers.

Camber doesn't look so good - it has obviously more negative camber - getting aligned tomorrow so will know how much I am out with camber then.

Bottom pic is of the suspension - note use of progressive springs by Honda. The stock springs are NOT progressive (well they look quite evenly spaced to me).

Who would have thought when I started this thread - I would actually end up with the Honda suspension I was asking for.

For those of you who may be interested the stock suspension weighs 5.1 and 5.2 kg respectively (front to rear). This suspension weighs slightly more at 5.2 and 5.4kg respectively.

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=500/620smallpicstoload.jpg

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=500/6202load.jpg

yfin
17-09-2005, 03:15 PM
Update on this - my camber with the Honda suspension is -2.1 and -2.2 They don't think those figures is going to cause much difference in tyre wear. They suggest I see how things look in 10,000kms.

BiLL|z0r
17-09-2005, 03:29 PM
Looks good so far. Any more pics yet? Whats the camber on the std suspension and did you get an ok that it won't effect the new car wty?

It seems to look like a coil over setup.

yfin
17-09-2005, 03:32 PM
Looks good so far. Any more pics yet? Whats the camber on the std suspension and did you get an ok that it won't effect the new car wty?

It seems to look like a coil over setup.

Washing my car later - will post pics then! Not sure what the stock camber settings were - it would have been around -1 as that is the factory setting.

I didn't ask about warranty as it wasn't fitted by a dealer. It'll be interesting though as it is a Honda part for this vehicle - although not locally available.

It is a coil over setup - just not adjustable.

BiLL|z0r
17-09-2005, 03:39 PM
Thanks for that. Looking forward to the pics. As far as wty, if there is an issue you can bet they'll wiggle out cause it wasn't fitted by a dealer.
btw, what size wheels you got? as I'd love to lower my euro but like so many, don't want to loose the great ride quality.
1 more question, hehe. What's it like on bumpy corners at speed? The stock suspension handles it quite well I notice and seems to be a short fall of a lot of lowered cars. Be great if we all drove on race track quality streets, but I don't think any council has supplied that yet ;)

Sorry for so many q's but it sounds like the perfect height and setup I'm after.

yfin
17-09-2005, 04:54 PM
Thanks for that. Looking forward to the pics. As far as wty, if there is an issue you can bet they'll wiggle out cause it wasn't fitted by a dealer.
btw, what size wheels you got? as I'd love to lower my euro but like so many, don't want to loose the great ride quality.
1 more question, hehe. What's it like on bumpy corners at speed? The stock suspension handles it quite well I notice and seems to be a short fall of a lot of lowered cars. Be great if we all drove on race track quality streets, but I don't think any council has supplied that yet ;)

Sorry for so many q's but it sounds like the perfect height and setup I'm after.

Pics added here in appearance section
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?p=430304#post430304

Rims are 17" - you will not lose much ride quality at all with this set up and it is fine around bumpy corners.

Camber shots of this suspension requested by Euroaccord13::

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=508/620cambershot.jpg

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=508/620camber2.jpg

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=508/620camber3.jpg

EuroAccord13
17-09-2005, 06:37 PM
Thanks Yoram!

From the looks, I think it's better off spending some money to get the Camber Kit... Long term investment over more tyres :D...

yfin
17-09-2005, 07:01 PM
Thanks Yoram!

From the looks, I think it's better off spending some money to get the Camber Kit... Long term investment over more tyres :D...

I'll get one eventually -but not if it is going to cost $400 + fitting + alignment. That's why I want to see how it looks after 10,000kms.

BiLL|z0r
17-09-2005, 08:06 PM
That looks absolutly fantastic. I'm even over the moon about it and it's not even my car :) I'm so jealous. I think the camber looks nice but I guess the tyre wear will tell in the future. If I had the cash I'd be at my local dealer on Monday morning with the part number, gimme gimme gimme

HUGE :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: and :D :D :D :D all round.

Quote Big Kev: I'M EXCITED!!!

yfin
17-09-2005, 11:39 PM
If I had the cash I'd be at my local dealer on Monday morning with the part number, gimme gimme gimme

I am not sure how much dealers will want for this kit - but you could probably get the Tanabe coilovers Euro77 got for what Honda dealers will charge for this kit. No harm getting a quote. Honda really should offer this as an option locally - i would have paid the equivalent of 475 pounds or so they pay in the UK at time of purchase (well bargained as much of it into the car price as I could :rolleyes: ).