PDA

View Full Version : momo/sparco steering wheels cd5

Joeyboy
20-04-2007, 08:41 AM
Yeh Gday! has any1 installed racing steering wheel on their cd5 or any accord that has SRS? I heard that it causes some electrical problems with the SRS light or some sh*t like that. also i want to keep the cruise control but not sure if this is possible with a racing wheel.

any probs i should know of??? just your thoughts

PS. I've been told this is illegal - so I dont really need to know that anymore, i just need to know thoughts about changing steering wheels.

CHEERS
Joey

Zdster
20-04-2007, 08:46 AM
So you want to change a steering wheel with an airbag to one without. My opinion = :zip:

Joeyboy
20-04-2007, 08:50 AM
So you want to change a steering wheel with an airbag to one without. My opinion = :zip:

YES.

So no opinion?!?! is it really that bad of a question, haha

yeh just some thoughts on peeps who have done it ....

Zdster
20-04-2007, 10:04 AM
YES.

So no opinion?!?! is it really that bad of a question, haha

yeh just some thoughts on peeps who have done it ....

No, not no opinion. My thoughts are 'if you dont have anything good to say, then dont say anything at all". Bad idea in my opinion.

Joeyboy
20-04-2007, 06:26 PM
No, not no opinion. My thoughts are 'if you dont have anything good to say, then dont say anything at all". Bad idea in my opinion.

bad idea? u care to ellaborate?

Vinnie
20-04-2007, 11:05 PM
im guessing coz its illegal/u lose ur airbag/racing wheel wood look dodgy on a cd5 :p

that and i dont know how ude go about fitting the cruise control module onto it...

unless ur really, really dedicated prob best to leave it mate :)

Joeyboy
21-04-2007, 10:30 AM
yeh i thought abt the cruise control module.

fair enough, cheers

Drew
22-04-2007, 10:40 AM
I'm tired explaining to people as to why it's an incredibly bad and stupid idea to remove airbags from their cars in favor of racing wheels

If you want to be killed then please do so

But if you're not quiet ready to go out in a giant fireball get an after market wheel with an airbag...

Momo make them, and imo they look better that the norm racing wheels especially on Accords as they aren't really all that sporty anyway

22-04-2007, 08:37 PM
i was thinking of getting it changes as well.. but i dun see the point of changing it .. by spending $100 or more to just for interior looks n sacrificing ur life for it.

u loose ur safety n this car are driven on road everyday ... you wont know when you have an accident. unlike track cars :)

think twice b4 you do it. accord can get away with airbags, i think .. as airbags are compulsary '95 forward ... but not the 94.

asian cd5 doesnt have airbags till '96 but that asia not australia :p

ECU-MAN
23-04-2007, 12:10 AM
its illegal to remove the SRS wheel from a car

insurance will have a feild day with you in the event of an accident. ( your fault or not )

Authoraties will Jam you hard if some one got hurt because you remove the wheel

think about it your removing a saftey feature of the car.

Joeyboy
23-04-2007, 12:42 PM
I'm tired explaining to people as to why it's an incredibly bad and stupid idea to remove airbags from their cars in favor of racing wheels

If you want to be killed then please do so

But if you're not quiet ready to go out in a giant fireball get an after market wheel with an airbag...

Momo make them, and imo they look better that the norm racing wheels especially on Accords as they aren't really all that sporty anyway

tired of explaining??? well I didnt specifically ask YOU to explain. And about the killing comment, I think that's hitting below the belt. Not sure how old u are but that's a very immature (and if you're a moderator) very unprofessional way of answering a question in a forum like OzHonda.

Arent forums meant to be helping people understand instead of getting the satisfaction of flaming ppl? It doesnt matter how stupid the question might be, if some1 has a valid answer, then say it. if not then better not to say anything at all. :thumbsup:

my 2 cents.

Thanks for the others that have made excellent points. I have decided to keep the stock steering wheel.

23-04-2007, 03:26 PM
hahahaah .... dont worry mate.. :p
cheap prices on the steering wheel tempt me so much!! :( but .. i had to resist it .. although is hard LOL

my steering wheel is leather, and it started to flakes and my hands gets really dirty, so i use steering wheel cover :thumbsdown: looks hell ugly..

sugz
24-04-2007, 02:21 PM
imo the stockies look pretty good anyways...

so like poid said, just retrim it and it will look hot

ArouzD
01-05-2007, 11:06 PM
I have a 94 accord and I put a fairly cheap ($100 or so) aftermarket steering wheel on my car. It looks great, the smaller size makes great fun and it has a nice feel to it. Whatever these guys are saying that you are going to die if you take an airbag steering wheel off a car is flamin' bollocks.

NOBODY can predict what is going to happen in an accident, which direction the impact (if any) is going to come from, or whether said impact will be serious enough to warrant that the airbag will be the difference between life and death. Also, it seems alot of people here want you to forfeit something that can really improve the look of your interior just because of this "possible life-threatening accident". Nobody has said that this sort of accident is definitely going to happen and I doubt the incidence of accident fatalities determined absolutely by the presence of an airbag would be insignificantly low.

Having said that, I agree with considering how your insurance will change and if it is illegal then its probably better not to do it. Not that many cops will know enough to know that you had an srs steering wheel in the first place. Just swap it back if you ever have to hit the pits. It is a bit of a bugger not being able to use your cruise control but if you can withstand all those inconveniences, do it! Momo's dont cost half a grand for nothing.

sugz
02-05-2007, 04:26 PM
I have a 94 accord and I put a fairly cheap ($100 or so) aftermarket steering wheel on my car. It looks great, the smaller size makes great fun and it has a nice feel to it. Whatever these guys are saying that you are going to die if you take an airbag steering wheel off a car is flamin' bollocks.

i dont think wat these ppl are saying means that you WILL die if you're involves in an accident, they're just saying it will be wise and safer if you keep it on...

imagine if you get into a severe accident, can your $100 aftermarket steering with no airbag safe you? i dont think so..in saying that air bag is also not a guarantee that it will save your arse but it will lessen the impact hence would increase your chance of surviving.....

terryansimon
02-05-2007, 04:51 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I did choose my car to have airbags in them. removing them to enhance my look of the car would be the same as.... amputating my master arm coz my missess *or mister. if I do swing the other way* digs it. years later, I may just start going "hey. I'm a right hander afterall! and I miss my right arm. :("

but jokes aside, I wouldn't think it's that good an idea to do it. like what ArouzD said, true... you can never tell where the impact is coming from. but you'd like to have some protection if it was a frontal impact. can't really tell what's gonna happen to you, hence you get insurance for your car/home/health/travel, etc. for the just-in-case-it-hits-the-fan situation. (=

ECU-MAN
02-05-2007, 08:04 PM

NOBODY can predict what is going to happen in an accident, which direction the impact (if any) is going to come from, or whether said impact will be serious enough to warrant that the airbag will be the difference between life and death. Also, it seems alot of people here want you to forfeit something that can really improve the look of your interior just because of this "possible life-threatening accident". Nobody has said that this sort of accident is definitely going to happen and I doubt the incidence of accident fatalities determined absolutely by the presence of an airbag would be insignificantly low.

Having said that, I agree with considering how your insurance will change and if it is illegal then its probably better not to do it. Not that many cops will know enough to know that you had an srs steering wheel in the first place. Just swap it back if you ever have to hit the pits. It is a bit of a bugger not being able to use your cruise control but if you can withstand all those inconveniences, do it! Momo's dont cost half a grand for nothing.

not having a go, but some of what you wrote is pretty lame.

just coz you like the way your car looks, what about the poor person that has to drive it for what ever reason. Imagin some one else other than you gets involved in an accident and is serously hurt or killed in that car. You will be responsible for making that car unsafe. and how would you know if the air bag would of helped or not. the authoroties would see that the car was made unsafe by removing a saftey feature of the car. and if you think you can fool them by installing the SRS wheel and globe after the event I would think again. Assesors and accident investigators are not stupid.

yes you cant predict the severity of an accident. all the more reason not to remove the airbag.

Joeyboy
03-05-2007, 10:38 AM
Great reading peeps! I was the one who asked the question. And it does make sense to keep the stock wheels with SRS...mainly for safety and insurance purposes. After all your great feedbacks, I've come to realise that its not worth changing the wheels, I mean I could make the car look good in other ways but still keep the "safety factor" as well.

and i really dig the cruise control!!! lol :D

Once again, thanks for the heads-up...and if u have more to say, then say it :thumbsup:

NeoNode
03-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Wise decision there Joeyboy :), I think my sig sums up nicely the benefits of having the supplementary restraining systems intact in your car, rather than not.

Drew
08-05-2007, 08:20 PM
I don't think I could ever own another car without airbags and abs

The EK doesn't have ABS, forgot to ask before I got it