PDA

View Full Version : Would you consider a XR6 Turbo

tron07
20-04-2007, 08:52 AM
As a replacement for the Euro as many seems to crave for more power and torque..... a turbo gives more power for your money, and now the price of a XR6 is quite low.... I would say comparable to the Euro.

Only you get higher FC, lower resale value, (not sure about the trims), but the office holden that I always drive, creaks and rattles like a old jalopeeeee

ginganggooly
20-04-2007, 09:25 AM
Most deffinately... I was a bees dick away from buying one a few months ago, insurance costs scared me away though.
Great car if you can come to terms with insurance.

I've noticed that office vehicles tend to be used and abused, hence they rattle and squeak a little more than normal cars... that said, fit and finish of the aussie built products still seem a generation behind the japs.

dupac->
20-04-2007, 09:29 AM
xr6 turbo nicee..

i would go that if i had to choose something turbo'd

tony1234
20-04-2007, 09:42 AM
As a replacement for the Euro as many seems to crave for more power and torque..... a turbo gives more power for your money, and now the price of a XR6 is quite low.... I would say comparable to the Euro.

Only you get higher FC, lower resale value, (not sure about the trims), but the office holden that I always drive, creaks and rattles like a old jalopeeeee
I know a few guys that have them.Fun to drive but i think tron07 covered well some of the reasons why you wouldn't buy one!:thumbdwn:

curik
20-04-2007, 09:45 AM
only if i can live with the 17lt/100km thrist...

Mr_will
20-04-2007, 09:52 AM
do you pay for your own fuel?

that would be a big concern

a friend just took delivery of a brand spanking new xr6, not the turbo version however.

the build quality is ok, its not as good as a euro, but it is still quite good.

the ride its imo more comfortable than a euro, probably just because it is a bigger car. you do however lose a lot of sharpness in the steering, but gain the effortless driving that comes with having that much torque.

jeffske
20-04-2007, 09:56 AM
mate of mine swapped his S15 for an XR6 turbo, unsure why he did it though....the interior is shocking (he has the blue one and the seats look like blue vomit) from bad experiences with Ford I have vowed never to buy one ever again

JasonGilholme
20-04-2007, 10:01 AM
I'm not a fan of them. Large cars and big engines aren't my cup of tea.

1.6LTR for the win ;)

sendok
20-04-2007, 10:06 AM
xr6 turbo is nice indeed.. but for me prefer a japanese car :D

kid_dynamite
20-04-2007, 10:30 AM
I'd get one, but mainly because my mechanic knows them inside out, after having raced in them for a couple of seasons :)

tron07
20-04-2007, 10:32 AM
From the grouse of euro owners of the euro being not powerful enough and not rwd... the XR6 turbo is the answer...

Power and FC dont go hand in hand.....
XR6T is 12.3l/100km, while Euro is 9.Xl/100km
but you get 245kw Vs. 140kw and 450nm torque Vs. 223nm.

If you are talking about 1.6 or small cars, then its in another market, not the euro or mid-large sedan.

Pumped
20-04-2007, 10:36 AM
there pretty decent value for money, horrible resale, trim quality is ok new but they get dodgy fast!

i know a few guys with Xr6t's with around 300kw atw, quick enough and bloody cheap to get them that quick but in the end there still a falcon :p and worth nothing after a few years :(

gReY-oNe
20-04-2007, 10:42 AM
if i hada choice between the xr6t and a euro
my ex bf drove a xr6t and my mum drives a euro
i would go euro just because its an easier size to drive and more reliable
xr6t's are great cars IMO there roomy and i think they drive smoothly
just wen ur takin corners the car is so unstable its kind of scary
i remeber he brought it brand new and they fixed up a few things on warrenty so it was in and out of the garage quite a few times
idle problems, differentials and gearbox
-______-

Pumped
20-04-2007, 10:43 AM
They also have the crappest standard brakes i could imagine :)

Dangerously crap :)

Mr_will
20-04-2007, 10:46 AM
why not look at something from holden?

their new 6.0litre v8 is pretty tasty.

you'd be more than satisfied with the power, and it will have ok resale.

Tobster
20-04-2007, 10:47 AM
Depends on what you want/need and appreciate in a car.

For me, all Falcons are too big, too thirsty and too poorly built (but I'll amdit I'm slightly biased against Ford as a manufacturer -- nor would I buy a Holden). I don't know one single person who's owned a Falcon who hasn't had problems with it.

That said, in terms of dollars for grunt, I don't think you can buy better value cars (big engined Falcodores) anywhere else in the world.

I haven't driven a BA-BF sedan, but my mate's BA Falcon ute still drove like a truck (better than his older ute though).

I just wouldn't use the grunt enough to warrant the fuel and running costs. You no sooner put your foot down than you're over the speed limit without any time to enjoy the feeling.

For my commuting, minor towing, blats through the hills and occasional long distance drives, the Euro was the reason why I didn't need to buy another 6-cylinder.

gReY-oNe
20-04-2007, 10:50 AM

LOL oh yeah :D forgot about that
i remeber wen we first went to get teh car tuned LOL
and his liek WTF its feels like we arnt stoppin
i was scared sh1tless

tony1234
20-04-2007, 10:51 AM

Yeah i noticed the crap brakes when i drove my mates one approx.12mths.ago.:thumbdwn: :thumbdwn:

Pumped
20-04-2007, 10:55 AM
the brakes are horrible in the wet and the stock disks have terrible warping issues! :)

my dads got a VE SS, so far its going great, had one minor issue with the wiper motor but thats fixed, its a nicer car to drive then his BA xr6 IMO

either way there only the type of car id keep for 2 years, any more and there worth nothing and start getting issues!

ALF487
20-04-2007, 10:56 AM
id still choose the euro.. no matter what.. to me its all about looks, style and reputation.. and plus we're in Australia.. whats the use of all that V6 or V8 power when Aus have strict speed limit laws...

Takenit2easy
20-04-2007, 11:15 AM
The BA Falcon is the best looking Ford EVEN IMO

However

I WOULD NOT BUY ONE
I WON'T LET MY GIRLFRIEND BUY ONE

STICK WITH THE HONDA....

Zdster
20-04-2007, 11:43 AM
The one thing that I really dislike about the Ford is the interior. I dont know who came up with it, but the material used is just hideous imho.

Merlin086
20-04-2007, 02:05 PM
XR6 turbo was on my shopping list also, then the new SS came out which was also very appealing, but having owned a 98 V6 Accord, and a VT SS V8, and also various Fords, the quality of build was the main factor for choosing the euro, despite the power drop, along with the cost of fuel.
Just waiting for the Hondata mods to at least have the power of the Accord V6......177kw I think...

That aside, the longer I own the Euro the more I am pleased with my decision

xenfacta
20-04-2007, 02:09 PM
we had that exact choice. in the end we went for the euro for my mum coz she gets her cars thru work and sells them 4 yrs later. we figured the euro would have better resale and was better on fuel (although she pays for fuel before tax so its cheaper).

tron07
20-04-2007, 02:19 PM
I thought the euro's brake are crappy.... didnt know the ford's worse off.....

With the euro we are already over the 40/50/60 speed limit with the first or second gears... :P once a blue moon I just skip the 3rd and 4th gear and goes into 5th.....

NeoNode
20-04-2007, 05:55 PM
If only the JZS161 Toyota Aristo was sold here, now that's a decent car with decent power ;)

2JZ-GTE FTW!!! :thumbsup:

DreadAngel
20-04-2007, 06:20 PM
You know what NeoNode's next car is :p

sodaz
20-04-2007, 06:59 PM
XR6Ts are pretty good cars. Excellent power and torque but the rear end can step out really easily if you're not careful. My workmate has one as a daily driver and i think it's a good compromise between performance and practicality. They are a bit too big for my liking and the interior are exterior are very plain imo.

chrissara
20-04-2007, 08:43 PM
As per the above post.

I owned a 2004 Ford XR6T - it was a previous Qld Police Pursuit car, so it had the high end Brembo brakes on it.

I swear to god that thing could go 0-100kph in under 6 secs (I believe the quoted figure for the auto is 6.2s). Overtaking on the highway in that thing was a joy.

But......

It guzzled fuel i.e. even driving as a granny I would do 15L/100klms.
In wet weather, you had to be very careful, and I mean very very careful. If you even remotely accelerate too quickly the thing would fish tail. I recall once being at the lights, accelerating too quickly in the rain and almost fish tailing in a Ford Laser 1996 model that was beating out!!!

Therefore I would say the traction control in that thing is a bit to be desired (mind you I had the MK1).

Ridewise - very nice. Agree the interior is not up to the Euro standard.

Bang for buck though, probably the best performance car for under $40000 - I would get a second hand one though, but MKII if possible.

Me, I sold mine due to the fuel (I live in regional Qld so fuel is pricey) and got a Civic Sport Auto.

I am now getting a new manual Euro Ltd (I am now after safety features i.e. 6 airbags, ESP, TC etc). Toss up between this and the Subaru Liberty - on paper the Euro wins and I get it drive away for $37000 with a bonnet protector.

Mr_will
20-04-2007, 08:59 PM
lol @ buying any car owned by cops.

Euro76
20-04-2007, 10:18 PM
I would not buy it. While I agree the turbo is very nice when it kicks but big power it produces mean consuming more fuel. Also look at its value after several years, Euro still retain better resale value than XR6T. Euro is already quick enough for me for now.

tron07
20-04-2007, 10:31 PM
Since Ford dont hold value, how about Aurion?

200kw and FC rated around 9.9l/100km, better resale value also, runs and runs cause its toyota....

IMHO toyota are boring cars, except a few of them.... :p

as001
20-04-2007, 11:58 PM
The XR6 is faster and has more tuning potential but if your really want to go down the turbo route you have better options and even more if you want to go the 6 cylinder route...
If you really want a decent v6 motor i agree with tron07 the Aurion or the Accord (Thai built variant) might be the better choice and resale value

Vinnie
21-04-2007, 12:50 AM
comparing 2 different cars here... the xr6t is a large size performance car, not a luxury or even standard mid-size like the euro. of course fc is up, its designed more for performance.

although i love the build quality, reliability and good resale of hondas if i had the chance to get a good xr6t ide get it jus coz its a great bang for ur buck performance car :) and im a ford fan ;)

J-TODA
21-04-2007, 01:15 AM
ye my cuzn had an xr6t b4 he changd to s15....went very nice =]] major factor of the change was petrol though.... ahah evn though s15 not much better...

however the xr6t is very spacious.. in terms of seating 5 average modern day passengers =]] however not as luxury as the euro id have to say =]]

sum up : gotta b willing to pay almost double on petty each week

gl wif the decision =]] keep us posted

bigdongers
21-04-2007, 01:28 AM
we have heaps of them at work. I drive the XR6Ts often and man they do have awesome power. It is very hard to keep under the speed limit. the seats are super comfy and shaped well though.

Build quality is shite though. Trim pieces fall off, rattles galore, cheap plastics.

question is, do you think the power novelty will wear off? cause if it does, you are left with a fairly average car

EuroAccord13
21-04-2007, 02:55 AM
Would I buy one?

YES!

boleh
21-04-2007, 09:19 AM
i havent been in Oz for long enough to have a deeper knowledge of local cars, so i've just been going by facts & stats.

lots of great feedback from various ppl on here.. i think we could agree that the XR6T has an engine with enough power to slingshot 2 euro's into the air [:D], consumes 30% more fuel than the euro, has sh!tty build quality (when compares with the euro), but on the subject of bad resale value... i've been looking at the summary pages in Wheels magazine and yea.. the resale value of vanilla falcon's (XT) is bad as in really bad (44% retained after 3 yrs). however, the XR6T's retain 52% after 3 yrs, and the manual version retain 54%. for comparison, accord euro std's retain 55% for both auto/manual, while the luxury retain 54%. just marginally better off? it is very interesting that the mazda6's retain a respectable 65%. Btw, these figures are summed up from RedBook by Wheels.

yourfather
21-04-2007, 09:36 AM
probably because there are more euro's on the road than mazda 6's.

if there's an increased supply, prices fall.

as001
21-04-2007, 09:40 AM
I believes there more mazda 6's on the road then euro's every 2nd car in north ryde is a mazda 3 or 6

yourfather
21-04-2007, 10:23 AM
yeh thats north ryde man.

much more to australia than just the nth shore of sydney bro.

tony1234
21-04-2007, 10:26 AM

Mmm.you may be right.:(

yfin
21-04-2007, 11:09 AM
, accord euro std's retain 55% for both auto/manual, while the luxury retain 54%. just marginally better off?

Haven't seen any 2004 Euros for under $20k manual or Auto. Sounds way too low. Maybe that is what people get on a trade in from a dealer but you would be lucky to get a decent 04 model for that money. Or is that predicted resale based on the current 07 model?

55% is below what redbook says which is typically on the lower side of values.

Red book - 2004 Euro - Auto
Prices based on km 45,000 - 75,000
Trade in price guide* $19,800 - $22,000
National average price - private sale* $23,700 - $27,600
Price when new (RRP) $36,250

boleh
21-04-2007, 11:16 AM
Haven't seen any 2004 Euros for $19,250 manual or Auto. Sounds way too low. Maybe that is what people get on a trade in from a dealer but you would be lucky to get a decent 04 model for that money. Or is that predicted resale based on the current 07 model?

55% is below what redbook says which is typically on the lower side of values.

Red book - 2004 Euro - Auto
Prices based on km 45,000 - 75,000
Trade in price guide* $19,800 - $22,000
National average price - private sale* $23,700 - $27,600
Price when new (RRP) $36,250

well, i dunno. it's what i read from Wheels mag and supposedly based on Redbook. if u have a copy of Wheels, just turn to the summary pages at the back.

EDIT: Yes, you're right. It's Redbook predicted resale after 3 yrs.

yfin
21-04-2007, 11:25 AM
well, i dunno. it's what i read from Wheels mag and supposedly based on Redbook.

I think it is predicted based on the current model. The new 07 Euro models will experience a faster depreciation over the next 3 years given the new model will be released within that 3 year time frame.

boleh
21-04-2007, 11:35 AM
I think it is predicted based on the current model. The new 07 Euro models will experience a faster depreciation over the next 3 years given the new model will be released within that 3 year time frame.

that makes sense..

Pumped
22-04-2007, 02:58 PM
Ive seen 04 model Xr6T's going for as low as $15,000, for a car which goes for around 50g new thats pretty damn bad :p

redbook isnt the most accurate of guides!

IAMVTEC
22-04-2007, 06:00 PM
Is the interior really that bad? Ive been in one its not a luxury interior or anything but it makes up for it in space. Hondas is very cramped in comparison.

and I wouldnt buy one since i dont really care about going fast.

Pumped
22-04-2007, 06:05 PM
I dont mind the interior, lived with one for 2 years, was lots more room than the euro and never found the trim bad!

Vinnie
22-04-2007, 06:28 PM
Ive seen 04 model Xr6T's going for as low as $15,000, for a car which goes for around 50g new thats pretty damn bad :p

! :eek:

give us a link, ill buy it now! they are generally a fair bit higher than that...

didz
22-04-2007, 07:15 PM
get an evo :)
you can get an imported evo 7 for around 24-28g. they arent THAT small, more of a medium sized car and it would own an XR6T without too much trouble. Also as someone else stated, import an Aristo!! they are phat as and havethe supra motor and turbo if u want!.

Another one u might like is the new liberty (turbo model). nice interior, plenty of power and sexy exterior.

IAMVTEC
22-04-2007, 07:23 PM
Evo is a good second car to leave in garage usually and only take for a drive once in a while.

For day to day it has too many issues to be a good buy!

Liberty is nice but dull, you can do better for the price!!!

nvmee
22-04-2007, 07:41 PM
you cant diss the falcon interior if uve got a civic / integra ...
imo civic interior is worst interior made. looks so cheapy and shonky. as for integr they pretty shit too. onli euro interiour kills falcons but thats cos euros are luxury car

IAMVTEC
22-04-2007, 07:44 PM
LOL since when was an Accord regarded to as a Luxury car. Are you kidding me? You get some fake woodgrain and a sunroof and its a luxury car?? HAHAHAHAHAH

OK a luxury car would be something like a E class or a Legend at the least.

DOHCTR Coopz!
22-04-2007, 11:16 PM
the material used in XR6T interior is sheit! would rather euro over XR6T anyday.. theres no point having all that power if the average speed limit these days is 60-80km
unless ur a hero + hoon in a falcondore that has to boot the sh!t out of their car every 2 seconds to make a point... :)

adammet04
23-04-2007, 12:05 AM
in one word in repsonse to this thread question.

farkno :)

aaronng
23-04-2007, 12:15 AM
Sorry I'm late for this thread. But don't rely on EPA fuel consumption figures, especially for a turbo car. They are usually way lower than real life figures. Go look at the consumption numbers published by Wheels magazine. They average the fuel consumption over the duration of the review, which includes the drag strip numbers. That's how they uncovered the RX-8's shocking 19L/100km fuel consumption numbers. LOL

m3ntAL_l2
23-04-2007, 12:26 AM
That's how they uncovered the RX-8's shocking 19L/100km fuel consumption numbers. LOL

wdfbbQ. :confused: :confused:

aaronng
23-04-2007, 01:02 AM
wdfbbQ. :confused: :confused:

EPA tests are performed with light acceleration and maintaining a low speed throughout the test for the city. It does not take into account traffic lights, brisk acceleration nor stop signs.

BTW, I always wanted a Ferrari F430, but after finding out the true fuel consumption numbers, I changed my mind. How does 35L/100km in the countryside sound? I can't imagine the city consumption or when I give it a fang. It would hit double of that number!

chunky
23-04-2007, 01:18 AM
yes yes i quite like the falcom range
looks nice to me

dc2dc2dc2
23-04-2007, 01:27 AM
lol @ aaron...far out at 35ltr/100kmz ur better off getting a limo around town.

IAMVTEC
23-04-2007, 02:12 AM
If youre still concerned about how much you spend for your petrol every week then I dont think you should own a Ferrari.

But that RX8 figure is scary. And all for a overpriced and ugly car. haha you have to love Mazda.

aaronng
23-04-2007, 03:06 AM
If youre still concerned about how much you spend for your petrol every week then I dont think you should own a Ferrari.

But that RX8 figure is scary. And all for a overpriced and ugly car. haha you have to love Mazda.

That's why I'm not getting one. Petrol is the cheapest thing for a Ferrari. When you own a Ferrari older than 3 years and out of warranty, it costs about US$1 per km to run a year, not including petrol, rego and insurance.

Vinnie
23-04-2007, 04:43 AM
lmao i dunno which comments to laugh at more in this thread:

complaining that u cant get a ferrari coz petrol is too expensive (along with running costs but thats pretty bloody obvious)

iamvtec on another mazda hate rant

or all the other ppl that hav said 'y do u need power wen u can only do the speed limit' yet they arent driving hyundai getz's so obviously power means sumthing to them. tracks and drags strips ppl, along with the occasional go at the lights. imo any car that u can get to over 300kmh for under $10k of mods is very impressive and even if ur not so inclined towards such a car then u have to agree those figures are very impressive.

no wonder y honda owners get hated on so much, some jus discard anything that hasent got a honda badge as crap...

*end rant*

boleh
23-04-2007, 08:47 AM
lmao i dunno which comments to laugh at more in this thread:

complaining that u cant get a ferrari coz petrol is too expensive (along with running costs but thats pretty bloody obvious)

iamvtec on another mazda hate rant

or all the other ppl that hav said 'y do u need power wen u can only do the speed limit' yet they arent driving hyundai getz's so obviously power means sumthing to them. tracks and drags strips ppl, along with the occasional go at the lights. imo any car that u can get to over 300kmh for under $10k of mods is very impressive and even if ur not so inclined towards such a car then u have to agree those figures are very impressive.

no wonder y honda owners get hated on so much, some jus discard anything that hasent got a honda badge as crap...

*end rant*

exactly my sentiments.

alright... some revelations... now that this thread has got to 6 pages let me tell you guys that this conversation of our beloved Euro Vs. XR6T started in a women gossipping forum where me and tron7 are members. wheteher or nt that is important or changes anything on here. i own a euro too, so does tron7 but we were arguing the other day if XR6T would be the answer to our lack of power woes. we're not hoons/bogans who do burnout but just enthusiasts who wouldnt mind some pulling power once a while. modding doesnt sound too promising and serious work would be needed to bring the Euro's current 140kw to be antyhing near the XR6T's and by the time you achieved that, your cars reliability, driveablity, insurance would have been seriously compromised. not to mention fuel consumption as well? why didn't i get an XR6T in the 1st place since i wanted its power.. well, as said b4, i was new in Oz and didnt have much experience with local cars and all the cars i've owned b4 were all japanese and its derivatives (proton :zip:), so getting out and buying a ford (and XR6T that is), was too adventurous. now that i understand more of local cars and market... if i couldnt afford anything more than 45k to replace the euro, XR6T looks like the one.

have a nice day all :wave:

tron07
23-04-2007, 09:00 AM
For the record, its not a women gossipping forum... its something like the lounge, but only better :p

Mr_will
23-04-2007, 09:04 AM
exactly my sentiments.

alright... some revelations... now that this thread has got to 6 pages let me tell you guys that this conversion of our beloved Euro Vs. XR6T started in a women gossipping forum where me and tron7 are members. wheteher or nt that is important or changes anything on here. i own a euro too, so does tron7 but we were arguing the other day if XR6T would be the answer to our lack of power woes. we're not hoons/bogans who do burnout but just enthusiasts who wouldnt mind some pulling power once a while. modding doesnt sound too promising and serious work would be needed to bring the Euro's current 140kw to be antyhing near the XR6T's and by the time you achieved that, your cars reliability, driveablity, insurance would have been seriously compromised. not to mention fuel consumption as well? why didn't i get an XR6T in the 1st place since i wanted its power.. well, as said b4, i was new in Oz and didnt have much experience with local cars and all the cars i've owned b4 were all japanese and its derivatives (proton :zip:), so getting out and buying a ford (and XR6T that is), was too adventurous. now that i understand more of local cars and market... if i couldnt afford anything more than 45k to replace the euro, XR6T looks like the one.

have a nice day all :wave:

im not even going to read that garbled block of text. learn to use paragraphs.

boleh
23-04-2007, 01:36 PM
im not even going to read that garbled block of text. learn to use paragraphs.

look at my avatar, look at me in the eyes...

Mr_will
23-04-2007, 01:50 PM
look at my avatar, look at me in the eyes...

whats your point?

IS250
23-04-2007, 05:35 PM

Umm, no. Mazda 6s probably outnumber Euros close to 2:1. The 6 has been on sale a lot longer than the Euro and apart from a handful of months, routinely outsells the Euro by a decent margin.

Bad Inferno
11-05-2007, 10:48 PM
I've run an XR6T for the last two years...best car ever had. Insurance $880.00, fuel 12.5 l/100 standard suburb driving with a squirt occasionally.

You cannot compare a Euro to the base model XR6T on interior comforts. It does look crap. Check out an XR6 with sports leather, colour lcd and dual climate controls and it does come close.

We seem to be chasing 5-10kw for big money on the Euro however $1500 will give you 45kw on the XR6T without any real mods required besides an ECU edit and custom tune to bring you to 240kw at the wheels. Oh and if you can resist it can provide better ecconomy.

I read something on suspension being dodgy...I do run a rear sway bar on the XR6T however with standard 245/40/18 tires, I know what I'd prefer to drive as far as stability and steering response. The XR6 is "planted" in comparison to a stock Euro.

yfin
12-05-2007, 06:25 PM
I know what I'd prefer to drive as far as stability and steering response. The XR6 is "planted" in comparison to a stock Euro.

That is a very interesting comment - must drive one of those XR6s myself. I have always felt the Euro is too well behaved and idiot proof - ie you really have to provoke it and do something stupid for it to lose traction/stability (in the dry that is and VSA off). I find it very stable around corners although I do remember when it was stock it would roll quite a bit at the rear (but mostly only when you want a quick change in direction).

Bad Inferno
12-05-2007, 09:49 PM
The comparison is not fair either way..having 240kw under the foot coming out of a corner is awsome.... Having driven the Euro for a while now it is very well behaved for the power it has available...

EuroAccord13
13-05-2007, 12:03 AM
XR6 Turbos will be the next VLs in 5 years time.....

nvmee
13-05-2007, 09:22 AM
LOL ... it certainly will be. xept half of them will be sold with blown turbos

aaronng
13-05-2007, 10:10 AM
LOL ... it certainly will be. xept half of them will be sold with blown turbos

Now why would the turbos blow?

nvmee
13-05-2007, 10:47 AM
duno lol .... something with the bearings? i have no idea :P dont they **** up? but i do know the nternals will fuick up eventually riight? from all that thrashing

aaronng
13-05-2007, 11:02 AM
duno lol .... something with the bearings? i have no idea :P dont they **** up? but i do know the nternals will fuick up eventually riight? from all that thrashing

They die if you let them cook (thrash all the way to your driveway and not let it cool down). They also die after many kms (same with all bearings in cars, like your hub bearing, clutch release bearings, even the bearing in your aircond fan.

Anyway, the turbo can always be rebuilt or replaced.

The engine will last long because it is not stressed. If you buy a 300kW XR6T, it is still only running moderate boost. When you buy a 200kW (you usually find 250-280kW) turbo'd DC2R or DC5R, that engine is more stressed to produce that 200kW than a 4.0L XR6T producing 300kW.

nvmee
13-05-2007, 11:04 AM
so really if a turbo car is driven 'right' and cooled down it would last as long as a n/a?

aaronng
13-05-2007, 11:17 AM
so really if a turbo car is driven 'right' and cooled down it would last as long as a n/a?

It's not whether a part lasts as long. It's because turbo has the extra components that increases the chances of something breaking. But yes, if you look after your car, then the turbo will last a long time. It might not last as long as the engine itself, but I'd say it would last about 1/4 to 1/3 of the engine's life if it is pushing medium power. And the ones that are not stressed last ages. Look at all the old Saabs on the road! And those stock S13 "K"s running around, they were built from 1989 to 1992. So they are at least 15 years old already.

PRDGY_17
13-05-2007, 12:10 PM
gday mate. i drive an XR6T arround most days of the week as i work at fords product development. if i had to compare an xr with leather trim and premium options to a euro the xr is my cup of tea. especially if your into mods. its been said but spending only a few hundred or a thousand bucks will get you large power gains on the xr whereas the euro is harder to get bang for buck. a mate at my work spent 2 grand on his ute and is pulling arround 260-270kw at the wheels depending on boost. great car and reliable as long as you keep it serviced. hope this helped a bit but in the end its down to personal prefference. good luck

EuroAccord13
13-05-2007, 11:08 PM
My mate's XR6 Turbo makes 290kws @ the wheels with a CAPA chip and bigger intercooler... On economy mode, it's 260kws @ the wheels...

Good car to modify and from factory, it's set at a very conservative level so as to not embarrass the V8 Boss engine....

tron07
15-05-2007, 12:43 AM
I manage to get my euro FC to read at 15 :D

RyDC5S
15-05-2007, 11:26 PM
Good car to drive, I'm just not too fond of the interior aesthetics.

Jaso
20-05-2007, 02:28 PM
Hey man. Firstly,

Power and FC dont go hand in hand.....
XR6T is 12.3l/100km, while Euro is 9.Xl/100km
but you get 245kw Vs. 140kw and 450nm torque Vs. 223nm.

Haha, dont base your fuel on that. Ive recently bought a BA GHIA. I was looking into Euros however I couldnt afford the one I wanted, and the GHIA is a lot of car for the money I paid. I get around 15-17l/100km around town on 91 RON or 13-15 on 95RON. Thats with 182kw/380 odd NM of t. So I guess you can only expect high teens early 20's, but I guess it depends on the type of driving you do.

If your into powerful rwd sedans like me have a look at a VE SS. It would be just as quick if not quicker in a strait line and the handling would be excellent aswell. Fit and finish would be an improvement over the VZ Commy but it obviously wouldn't compete with the Japanese built Honda offerings...but then again you have to decide weather that really matters to you.

Keep it serviced, treat it well and the Aussie cars are good to you, especially the newer ones. Forget all the "my mates brothers sisters uncles" stories you hear about quality/reliability issues.

So yeh, if you want an XR6tubo get a BF which has the ZF 6 speed auto, and option with the luxury interior package, side airbags and DSC, or a VE SS would be just as good, if not better :D

sodaz
20-05-2007, 03:17 PM
The XR6T fuel consumption is closer to 20lt+/100km from my experience.

EuroAccord13
20-05-2007, 04:23 PM

You must have got a heavy left foot.... :)

euro77
20-05-2007, 05:04 PM
left or right? LOL

yfin
20-05-2007, 05:14 PM

I was reading some of the Aussie car forums and some people report 18-20 in stop start traffic. Not too good.

sodaz
20-05-2007, 05:48 PM
Yeah when i drove it i didn't really drive it that hard (not like flooring it all the time) and it still returned about 20lt/100km (mostly city driving). I'm fairly confident that if i drove it hard it will be closer to 25lt/100km.

aaronng
20-05-2007, 06:14 PM
Yeah when i drove it i didn't really drive it that hard (not like flooring it all the time) and it still returned about 20lt/100km (mostly city driving). I'm fairly confident that if i drove it hard it will be closer to 25lt/100km.

More actually. For the Euro, I get 10.5L/100km in the city. And when I drive it hard, it drinks 28L/100km.

badthing
20-05-2007, 07:20 PM
More actually. For the Euro, I get 10.5L/100km in the city. And when I drive it hard, it drinks 28L/100km.

what do u consider hard?

aaronng
20-05-2007, 08:36 PM
what do u consider hard?

Hard = 75-100% throttle.

tron07
21-05-2007, 08:40 AM
Redline from one traffic light to the next... :D

21-05-2007, 02:14 PM
i think its all been covered,

1 - fit and finish not as good as jap
2 - reliability not as good as jap
3 - thirsty

my 2 cents and the biggest no no for me is resale value.
unless your willing to keep it for more then 5 years i think u lose to much on resale.

ginganggooly
21-05-2007, 02:49 PM
i think its all been covered,

1 - fit and finish not as good as jap
2 - reliability not as good as jap
3 - thirsty

my 2 cents and the biggest no no for me is resale value.
unless your willing to keep it for more then 5 years i think u lose to much on resale.

Just playing devils advocate here:

1. Euro had that price drop a year or two back, so resale isn't that much better.
2. Huge performance gap in favour of the XR6
3. If you buy an auto, you get the schmick ZF 6-Speed unit (awesome transmission)
4. More interior space for the money
5. Much better bang for buck.

All things considered, I still bought the Euro :)

turbo convert
21-05-2007, 02:54 PM

1. Euro had that price drop a year or two back, so resale isn't that much better.
3. If you buy an auto, you get the schmick ZF 6-Speed unit (awesome transmission)

i drive my dads by xr6 turbo and as above zf 6 speed box is wicked! prob the best thing ford has ever done is a big diffrence on the Ba xr6 t 4 speed box
however i too would never buy one as 4ltr turbo guzzles 2 much
all traction controll gets u off the line quick smart!:wave:

aaronng
21-05-2007, 04:21 PM

Yeah. I've always considered the XR6T to be a good car if you didn't take into account fuel consumption and an build quality niggles (which seem minor compared to what the 06-07 Civic guys are facing). And at $43.990 for the base manual, it's good value for what you get.

groovetek
21-05-2007, 09:49 PM
only if i can live with the 17lt/100km thrist...

it'd be efficient; given the way you drive! hehe kidding. :wave:

J-TODA
24-05-2007, 09:24 AM
so any decisions on whether or not ur gettin the xr6t ???

Still Deciding
25-05-2007, 08:38 PM
My first post in this forum....and how ironic it should be in this thread.

I currently own an XR6T and have done for approx 3 1/2 years...so I consider that I can talk first hand.

While I'm sure that if driven extremely hard you can achieve the ridiculous consumption figures that some have quoted, I can categorically state that my figures over the past 42 months are around 12-13L/km. That includes Sydney traffic daily from the Liverpool area to Frenchs Forest via the M7 & M2. So a lot of stop/start traffic is involved here. On average I do about 33,000km's per year. (My car is now approx 111,000km's).

The comments about why have a car that can kick you in the backside when the speed limits are 60-80km's can be answered simply.....because you can :) .

Nother better than "safely" overtaking a truck on the freeway (or crossing onto the other side of a country road) in the minimum possible time.

OK....so if it's so good, what the heck am I doing in this forum ?

My XR6T is on a 4 year lease and that expires in November of this year. As a result, I am in the process of looking for a replacement car....and like everyone else, I am looking at ways of minimising my costs. As we all know, petrol ain't getting any cheaper. So I am looking at a 4 Cylinder car to cut some of these ongoing cost down. 80% of the time, it is just me in the car so don't really have the need for a large family car for this purpose (to and from work).

I'm currently looking at 3 specific cars :

Ford XR5T (non-Luxury option)
Mazda 3 SP23 Sedan (Luxury option)
Honda Civic Sports Sedan (pretty much comes with Luxury option as standard)

For performance, I'm pretty much happy with the Ford XR5T but don't want a Hatch...and the XR5T is pretty plain inside.

The Mazda and the Honda options are both very appealing inside so I am probably going to go with one of these. I'll commence another thread to seek advice in this so that I don't hijack this thread. :o

....and in case you are wondering, I will be keeping the XR6T after the Lease is completed as it really is a great car to drive and will remain the "family" car.

Bad Inferno
25-05-2007, 08:49 PM
I'm sure a Euro topic on the XR6T forum would produce little comment, I don't understand why we would even be trying to compare these two cars. If you want to ride in a small 4 cylinder go the Euro, I'm very happy with ours, however if you want economical power...or have a large family to cart around, go the XR6T I'm also very happy with ours as well. A standard Euro Lux is more like a little limo than a "boy's toy" XR6T.