PDA

View Full Version : fuel evaporation system/results from my fiddling

Bludger
20-04-2007, 10:33 AM
Taken from a post by EG5 . lemme know if you want it removed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/erokky/blah.jpg
http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/808/dsc01133ft4.jpg
just have a quick question to ask.
I'm aware that the circled item has got to do with the fuel evaporation system. but why does the DC2R have it, the other Integra's and Civic's don't have it. is it really nessecary for the car? (i don't think so, but i'm wrong?)what were to happen if i were to run my car without it?

Thanks Bau:thumbsup:

Spicey
20-04-2007, 10:50 AM
Have you got a better pic of it mate???

Spicey
20-04-2007, 01:57 PM
The item centered in the second pic is a MAP sensor (or Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor) it measures the pressure in the manifold after the throttle body and records how much air the engine is using or flowing and adjusts the fuel flow to suit, so yes you need it.

You notice some engines don't have them as they run air flow meters, which do a similar job.

Hope this helps!

Bludger
20-04-2007, 03:27 PM
why does the motor run fine, with the unit unpluged

bennjamin
20-04-2007, 03:37 PM
The item centered in the second pic is a MAP sensor (or Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor) it measures the pressure in the manifold after the throttle body and records how much air the engine is using or flowing and adjusts the fuel flow to suit, so yes you need it.

You notice some engines don't have them as they run air flow meters, which do a similar job.

Hope this helps!

no - the MAP sensor is located on the throttle body.

AFAIK the sensor that is spoken of , is a emissions based sensor ( it works with the charcoal canister)

Bludger
20-04-2007, 03:43 PM
so what you're saying is my car would run fine, only that it won't be meeting the laws emmision requirements?

bennjamin
20-04-2007, 03:45 PM
so what you're saying is my car would run fine, only that it won't be meeting the laws emmision requirements?

i have the same "chimney" system on the back of my EG - ( i have a B series conversion that came with it ) and i have simply disconnected it.
Doesnt seem to change anything.

JasonGilholme
20-04-2007, 03:46 PM
no - the MAP sensor is located on the throttle body.

AFAIK the sensor that is spoken of , is a emissions based sensor ( it works with the charcoal canister)

not totally correct.

Some of the older versions (OBD1 and OBD0) had the mapsensor on the firewall with a vac tube runnin to it.

Spicey
20-04-2007, 03:46 PM
^^^^ yeah, thats what I thought it was. But I had a quick look and it does look like dc2r sensors are on the TB

Bludger
20-04-2007, 03:48 PM
thanks bennji. got what i needed to know from you

bennjamin
20-04-2007, 03:49 PM
not totally correct.

Some of the older versions (OBD1 and OBD0) had the mapsensor on the firewall with a vac tube runnin to it.

AFAIK only OBD0.

From what ive seen all OBD1 + OBD2 B series had the map sensor ( as shown in htis picture , which the thread is about) on the throttle body. The OBD1 had a small vacumm line running to hte throttle body too
( next to the idel screw) But this picture is from a OBD2 engine ( ek4 / ek9 / dc2r)

Bludger
20-04-2007, 03:55 PM
my thread is about the emmisions sensor.
i was thinking of running direct from the canistor to the throttle body, by-passing the sensor. what are your thoughts?

JasonGilholme
20-04-2007, 03:56 PM
yeah i think thats right ben.

Like you say, that pick of the DC2R is obviously OBD2

Photonic_Si
20-04-2007, 04:16 PM
obd0 cars and first run obd1 (ie EG SiR I) use the firewall mounted map sensor. All later models (ie EG SIiR II) late run obd1 and above use integrated map sensor.

That is not a sensor in the pic. It is the Purge Control Solenoid. It controls the waste gasses escaping from the charcoal canister and re circulates them into the intake manifold for induction. It is an emissions control device and circumventing this system does nothing. Except increase your carbon emissions.

Bludger
20-04-2007, 04:17 PM
thanks very much Photonic_Si (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/member.php?u=6956)

bennjamin
21-04-2007, 11:50 AM
my thread is about the emmisions sensor.
i was thinking of running direct from the canistor to the throttle body, by-passing the sensor. what are your thoughts?

sorry about that ;)

I bypass (IE totally disconnect) the emissions sensor on my car. and it runs fine.
Mind you , why do you want to bypass it ? You have a engine conversion ?

Bludger
21-04-2007, 11:57 AM
it gets in the way of the 3 pointbar

bennjamin
21-04-2007, 11:58 AM
it gets in the way of the 3 pointbar

then relocated it slightly down ...im sure you can still have it connected up , but just pushed down abit. Cable ties FTW.

Bludger
21-04-2007, 12:01 PM
i want the bay to look neat, neat and clean.
cable ties are to tie up cables, not to hold brackets.
just my thoughts

bennjamin
21-04-2007, 12:05 PM
cable ties are to tie up cables, not to hold brackets.
just my thoughts

...then maybe extend the hose to the inlet manifold , and place the EVAP unit on the firewall etc. Just thoughts.

Bludger
21-04-2007, 12:11 PM
I'll probrably relocate it closer to the battery. I also do intend to move the battery to the boot too, so that has to happen 1st b4 i move the purge valve closer to the battery.
always like work thats done neat.
thanks for your input Bennji

Photonic_Si
23-04-2007, 08:27 AM

Cable ties FTW!! :thumbsup:

Bludger
26-04-2007, 01:40 PM
the results of my fiddling
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u19/bau_fug/DSC01139.jpg
Ghetto fix
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u19/bau_fug/DSC01141.jpg
AC lines a bit tight
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u19/bau_fug/DSC01142.jpg

The triangular shape of the Rigid Bar was a bit fcuked.
holes didn't line up properly [off by a couple of cm's].
needed some serious convincing to get the bar to settle in its new home.
I bought the bar second hand, don't know if that made a difference to the bar not fitting properly or not.

Spicey
26-04-2007, 01:47 PM
Looks trick mate! Love the engine dampener!