PDA

View Full Version : new S2k - advice wanted plz...

skii76
20-04-2007, 12:06 PM
Hey all,

I know this topic has probably been posted to death a billion times already but I was hoping someone out there could offer me some advice…

I am in the process of selling my WRX and purchasing an S2000 in the next month or so.
I was considering doing some mod work to the car once I’ve bought it, perhaps new cat back exhaust system, new ECU chip, air/fuel controller, forced air induction, dump pipes/extractors. I was thinking about perhaps getting an Apexi SAFC neo, G-Reddy piggy back ECU, not sure about the rest of the gear.
Coming from a Subaru background I am a new convert to the Honda scene & was hoping to get some info about what the best ways to gain more kilowatts/power/torque at the best price without over-working the car. I have a budget of about $5k to spend on after market mods but may consider increasing this depending on what sorta results I can get from the mods.

Any advice on what the go is with mods would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance ppl,

Cheers…..

Skii76

p.s: lastly, what would a reasonable price be for a 2nd hand S2k (00-03 model) with upto 80,000 clix??

BlackieS2K
20-04-2007, 12:42 PM
The F20C is already very well tuned from the factory and you'd be paying through your nose to get relatively minimal gains. $5k won't get you anywhere near as much HP as you would have reaped from the WRX. Forced induction is the only way to go to get some extra decent power. If you like to tinker and stick with NA then there's plenty of stuff to throw your money at. Just don't expect to go much faster.

There's a bit of a difference between the 99-01 and 02-03 models (glass window, etc.) so expect a bit of a jump in price up to the 02-03 models. I think they are still fetching low to high $40ks for those model years.

skii76
20-04-2007, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the info BlackieS2K,
You think it's worth getting a VTEC controller??

The F20C is already very well tuned from the factory and you'd be paying through your nose to get relatively minimal gains. $5k won't get you anywhere near as much HP as you would have reaped from the WRX. Forced induction is the only way to go to get some extra decent power. If you like to tinker and stick with NA then there's plenty of stuff to throw your money at. Just don't expect to go much faster.

There's a bit of a difference between the 99-01 and 02-03 models (glass window, etc.) so expect a bit of a jump in price up to the 02-03 models. I think they are still fetching low to high $40ks for those model years.

BlackieS2K
20-04-2007, 12:52 PM
Depends what for. For bling, sure. If you want to mess around with A/F ratios and VTEC engagement points and know what you're doing (or know someone who does) then sure. Otherwise, no.

skii76
20-04-2007, 12:53 PM
...Thanks again dude!! :)

robert112
20-04-2007, 02:48 PM
skii. Blackies2k has summed it up but he has neglected to mention changing the final drive. there basically a set of gears you get installed for under $2000 and it makes huge differences to your s2k. maybe not as much as bolting on a turbo, but almost. the gains are huge and it is a big bang for your buck mod.

wait until the s2ki website comes back on sometime next week (currently down for renovations) and you will have lots to search through...

www.s2ki.com/forums

ludecrs
20-04-2007, 02:54 PM
Not rachels b/f from Tweed are you?

skii76
20-04-2007, 03:00 PM
Thanks Robert, are these gears avail in aust or do you have to get them shipped from OS? Are they aftermarket or genuine honda?
Is it worthwhile getting a short-shoft kit installed also??

skii76
20-04-2007, 03:01 PM
Not rachels b/f from Tweed are you?

Nah Ludecrs, I'm from down Melb way...

BlackieS2K
20-04-2007, 03:34 PM
Robert's talking about 4.44 or 4.77 gears from an MX-5 or Kia. He's probably a little over enthusiastic about the performance gains though being close to a turbo. :) They will improve acceleration (slightly) through the gears but will make your rpms higher when cruising in each gear.
If you want first hand experience, talk to jko (4.44) or whiteap1 (4.77) with the respective final gears installed.

Forget the short shifter kit IMO, the S2000 gearshift is arguably the best on any production car. The throws are extremely short as it is. You can change the gearknob for a countersunk one to make throws even shorter if you are so inclined.

skii76
20-04-2007, 03:37 PM
...Thanks for the helpful info Blackie!! :)

BlackieS2K
20-04-2007, 03:43 PM
That's cool. I'm here all weekend!

skii76
20-04-2007, 03:45 PM
Sweet dude, I'm going to look @ a few S2k's over the weekend so I may post you again with more questions.

Thanks again!!!

robert112
20-04-2007, 05:06 PM
I didn't even realise I was comparing it to a turbo, must have been half asleep ;) . no it wont even come close to a turbo but saying that, will probably be the best mod you can do while staying na. You will get into the 13's with a 4.77 but the 4.56's are not far off and offer better compromise for street driving.

I also agree with the short shifting option, drive an s2000 and look at how short the throw is. short shifters are crap anyway, they don't let you shift any faster contrary to what people say without any experience or proof to back it up. I personally don't like aftermarket short shifters.

Robert's talking about 4.44 or 4.77 gears from an MX-5 or Kia. He's probably a little over enthusiastic about the performance gains though being close to a turbo. :) They will improve acceleration (slightly) through the gears but will make your rpms higher when cruising in each gear.
If you want first hand experience, talk to jko (4.44) or whiteap1 (4.77) with the respective final gears installed.

Forget the short shifter kit IMO, the S2000 gearshift is arguably the best on any production car. The throws are extremely short as it is. You can change the gearknob for a countersunk one to make throws even shorter if you are so inclined.

skii76
22-04-2007, 03:27 PM
Cheers, thanks Robert!!

skii76
23-04-2007, 03:58 PM
How about air-intake?
I am thinking about getting a CF bonnet with air vents..
Would it be worth while changing the stock air filter to a K&N or something like that?
What about a forced induction pipe to feed more air into the filter?
Any adive would be greatly appreciated ppl...

Cheers,

Skii76.

skii76
23-04-2007, 04:01 PM
Has anyone purchased a CF bonnet from carmate.com...
I'm not sure what kinda quality their product is as I have been burnt before buying bodykits for my WRX from online dealers.
I've seen a nice full body kit at JDM....
http://www.jdmimports.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=428
...pricey however!!!

integrity
26-04-2007, 12:49 PM
S2k is very difficult to have big gains (without forced induction).

you can gain healthy N/A power by buying the right stuff (when i mean the right stuff, it costs a arm and a leg)

Exhaust (obviously the JDM brands like hks,fujitsubo etc)
Air filter (varies)
Intake (spoon, mugen (snorkels) airboxes etc.)
Cams (toda,crower etc)
you cathc the dirft.

the car it self is very very well built and feels very quick when driving it.

its purpose is for track so knwo you got the 50/50 weight distribution, rigid body to contribute to its beatiful handling.

skii76
26-04-2007, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the advice Integrity,
I've been taking a look at injen forced induction, not sure which of their intake systems would run/suit S2k's best...
SP intake system
IS intake system
RD intake system
Thinking about Fujitsubo, Buddy, or HKS exhaust systems...
Not sure about which would be the best air filter to use, or get a air-filter heat shield, or CF air box?

skii76
26-04-2007, 09:14 PM
Anyone know of an Injen dealer pref' in Melb?
Has anyone installed one of the above intake systems??

zero33
27-04-2007, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the advice Integrity,
I've been taking a look at injen forced induction, not sure which of their intake systems would run/suit S2k's best...
SP intake system
IS intake system
RD intake system
Thinking about Fujitsubo, Buddy, or HKS exhaust systems...
Not sure about which would be the best air filter to use, or get a air-filter heat shield, or CF air box?

i've got an sp intake system... don't really notice much power gains but there is a hell of a noise when vtec kicks in... its to the point when its scary :thumbsup: hahahaha bbbaaaahhhhBBBBBBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

regards to the CF bonnet unless its a "Varis" brand or similar full carbon fibre bonnet it will just be for looks, ones that carmate sell have a top layer of carbon fibre and bottom of fibre glass and weighs heavier then stock bonnets :thumbdwn: .. (but again it does look good :thumbsup: )

justins2000
27-04-2007, 11:13 AM
skii76,
May i make a suggestion... purchase an S2000, drive it around for a while, get used to the car.
Then you will know what gains you want and in what areas.
I have had my S2000 for just over a year, and let me tell you, the car in stock form has an awesome amount of power when driven correctly, and you can have a lot of fun in it.
I have replaced the standard air box with an AEM V2 cold air induction kit, it seems to have picked up a bit of throttle response, but as zero33 says, the sound!!! woah my god the sound!!
From now on, im just concentrating on the handling side of things... good tyres and a suspension upgrade is next on the list for me.
to get any serious power gains from the S2000, you need to spend a lot of $$$.
but trust me, you will be very happy with the performance in standard form!

skii76
27-04-2007, 03:41 PM
Thanks Zero33 & Justins2000, I really appreicate the advice you've given me.
Still gotta wait a few more weeks till I can purchase my S2K & can't wait!!!!

koleee
28-04-2007, 02:22 PM
Hey guys use seem to know what use are on about, i got a white s2k 2000 model and i want to put a factory 01 front lip on it, do use know how much that would set me back and can i buy it the stock white colour or do i need to respray it?

ludecrs
01-05-2007, 06:37 PM
Replica $30 from the US + postage + paint

Or genuine part, $700 + 6wk wait.

koleee
01-05-2007, 08:28 PM
damn 6week wait :( i better order it now

ludecrs
01-05-2007, 08:57 PM
Put it this way, its atleast a 2wk wait. They say 6wk's to be on the safe side and cover their asses.

mania
02-05-2007, 02:14 PM
hi mate re price for a s2000 i paid $33k for one with 48k on the clock and 00model with full history in good to vg condition.i think they usually go for mid to high 30's if they have this sort of klms .hope this gives you an idea.

skii76
02-05-2007, 10:39 PM
hi mate re price for a s2000 i paid $33k for one with 48k on the clock and 00model with full history in good to vg condition.i think they usually go for mid to high 30's if they have this sort of klms .hope this gives you an idea.

Thanks Mania, I've been looking around a bit and the 00-02 models range in price from anywhere in the mid to high 30's like you said, km's seem to be within the same kinda range, but it sounds like you got yourself a good deal. I've gone to a few dealers & they want like low to mid 40's for the same kinda car.
How long ago did you buy your s2000 Mania??

integrity
03-05-2007, 07:21 AM
your looking at about 350 ish from honda unpainted

its quite easy to bolt on (4x10 mm bolt on the bottom and 2 screws on each side)

skii76, personally im not a fan of CAI (cold air intake) systems as they are well known to cause lag at the bottom end when taking off in low revs (cause of how far down they are).

i would recommend a K&N drop in replacement filter, its affordable and doesnt affect the reliability of the car, no watersoak and personally i feel it accelerate up a little quicker and has a nicer note to it then OEM.

mania
03-05-2007, 12:39 PM
i was lucky as i knew of the car and her hubby bought her a new slk350 merc they did want 38k but i waited till it wasnt used and got it for 33 about 2mths ago.i did see one on car sales with 55k blue late 99 asking 31k i think.they can be found. also sometimes it doesnt hurt to offer they can only say no.good luck.having owned 993 and 930 porsches now a s2000 they are a great drivers car.my advice is to get good tyres mine has got protenzas and i dont like them .just changed to mickey thomson street .ill let you know.

WhiteAP1
03-05-2007, 05:48 PM
personally im not a fan of CAI (cold air intake) systems as they are well known to cause lag at the bottom end when taking off in low revs (cause of how far down they are).

I would love to see some evidence to support this bullshit statment.

Also ive experience the K&N drop in first hand,it has no benifit over OEM whatsoever apart from its lifespan.

.::F[L]Y::.
03-05-2007, 06:27 PM
most of the time ppl who buy an aftermarket intake for the S is just after the sound. They would be dreaming if they expect it to make some power at all lol

perhaps the stock intake with a spoon style air feed (snorkel) would offer better results.

skii76
31-05-2007, 08:24 PM
Ok guys..
It's getting serious time in my S2K search...
Is there anything I should be looking out for or any know issues that S2K's develop??
Any input would be much appreciated, thanks ppls!!!

skii76
31-05-2007, 09:01 PM
I just found heaps of info @ an old post "Purchasing an S2000" :)