PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Lighten Flywheel ???

Jase EK
20-04-2007, 12:34 PM
just wondering for all you ppls out there that have changed OEM to a lighten flywheel whats your review ? i hear that you lose torque ??

any input would be great thanks...

barefootbonzai
20-04-2007, 12:47 PM
Just get one man, nothing but benifits.

SLOWEGG
20-04-2007, 01:56 PM
Just get one man, nothing but benifits.

Totally agree. And the torque problem, you wont even notice it man. All you'll be feeling is the response :D

Jase EK
20-04-2007, 05:52 PM
sweeet.. i guess i gotta get one now :)

XB-16-AX
20-04-2007, 05:57 PM
i didnt loose any torque but actually gained ...

advise - get one of an ITR or spend abit more and go fully lightweight ..

Zilli
20-04-2007, 06:27 PM
ive ot an ITR one, 50k kms, perfect condition, make me an offer as its just sitting here gathering dust

XB-16-AX
20-04-2007, 06:29 PM
ive ot an ITR one, 50k kms, perfect condition, make me an offer as its just sitting here gathering dust

sounds like a sale here! hehehe

sniff sniff ....do i sniff a mod about to delete a post? ehhehe

:thumbsup:

JDMCVC
20-04-2007, 06:58 PM
get one ive got a toda 3.4kg fly on my d series, best mod so far, didnt feel any loss of torque at all

Jase EK
20-04-2007, 07:23 PM
sounds good.. i'l start shopping..

sydteg21
20-04-2007, 07:52 PM
you will feel a little loss of torque when you take off.

barefootbonzai
20-04-2007, 10:21 PM
hahah too bad he don't have a B-series to all you guys trying to get a sale :P

SLOWEGG
21-04-2007, 03:06 AM

LOL i dont think he will notice that by the way he takes off..

nigs
21-04-2007, 09:01 AM
Who takes off or drives below 6,000rpms anyway?

Lukezen27
21-04-2007, 11:30 PM
get one ive got a toda 3.4kg fly on my d series, best mod so far, didnt feel any loss of torque at all

I too have a 3.4K Lightweight as apposed to the 11K OEM but to tell you the truth I can’t feel much difference, bit quicker to rev up maybe…

One thing I’ve notices that I don’t like

I now need to give her a bit more juice on takeoff as she seems to stall easier

Is this just my imagination?

LukeZen

luzinit
22-04-2007, 02:55 AM
I too have a 3.4K Lightweight as apposed to the 11K OEM but to tell you the truth I can’t feel much difference, bit quicker to rev up maybe…

One thing I’ve notices that I don’t like

I now need to give her a bit more juice on takeoff as she seems to stall easier

Is this just my imagination?

LukeZen

Yeah, definitely need a lil bit more gas to get her off the line, but over time you barely even notice it. I got a toda 4.3kg for bseries, not a major difference but certainly helps get you to 100km/h quicker.

Myths - loss of torque, revs drop noticeably quicker, car stalls alot easier, all these things are probably exaggerated and are barely noticeable, if the effects are true, so just go for it if you're doing clutch at same time! :thumbsup: I wouldn't crack open my box and pay labour just to get the flywheel done on its own though..

Lukezen27
22-04-2007, 03:10 AM
effects are true, so just go for it if you're doing clutch at same time! :thumbsup: I wouldn't crack open my box and pay labour just to get the flywheel done on its own though..

Dido on that one...

This mod should be done when replacing the clutch only IMO or its just a wast of cash better spent elsewhere.

LukeZen

czy_sol87
22-04-2007, 10:13 AM
^^yeh thats what i did as well, i got a new clutch and spoon lightweight flywheel, and i didnt really notice that i loss anything, just that i gained acceleration
u definately notice the difference when u drive a different car with the same engine, but stock flywheel

string
23-04-2007, 03:20 PM
No you won't/don't/can't. Less rotating mass = more available wheel torque.

bennjamin
23-04-2007, 03:34 PM
No you won't/don't/can't. Less rotating mass = more available wheel torque.

maybe so. But its basically true - you FEEL less "pull" at the same revs / take off compared to a stock flywheel. Less mass = less stored energy , and less inertia with the flywheel. So you will have to give more accuracy to your throttle control to keep the car moving. The engine will simply raise and drop revs much quicker.
Its simply adjusting driving style and throttle control ~everything else is the same.

string
23-04-2007, 03:49 PM
Well if we are talking about the effects of a mechanical change, why keep the driver involved?

It's definately noticable the extra ammount of throttle you need to give to start moving, but the extra power there also is.

It's dangerous mentioning the words loss and torque when describing a flywheel because the effects are that everyone thinks they are a bad thing.

If you want a smooth take-off, buy a BMW, their flywheels are like 20kg.

bennjamin
23-04-2007, 04:00 PM
Well if we are talking about the effects of a mechanical change, why keep the driver involved?

It's definately noticable the extra ammount of throttle you need to give to start moving, but the extra power there also is.

It's dangerous mentioning the words loss and torque when describing a flywheel because the effects are that everyone thinks they are a bad thing.

If you want a smooth take-off, buy a BMW, their flywheels are like 20kg.

yup - to be 100% correct there is NO loss in torque. Only a change in FEEL (to the driver). Heavier flywheels , like bigger steering wheels or bigger mufflers are something the manufacture designed to make a car soudns and feel as nice to drive as possible
IMO a lighter flywheel is only an advantage in all ways.

shebangs
23-04-2007, 04:14 PM
On my B18C difference was very noticable. Nothing but benefits.

I got mine done with my Exedy HD Clutch, and I will admit, it makes the car alot less streetable (less clutch freeplay + Instant drop of rpm) but I love it.

My first gear is fun. When I launch, it's in first gear for maybe .3 of a second? lol.

quangsta
11-05-2007, 01:04 AM
how light to go?? the lighter the better??

11-05-2007, 01:15 AM
JUN made a 4.5 lbs fly which arround 2 kg ? LOL !!!
Track ? much better with light fly wheel as you want lots of throttle response

Drag? u will be getting the heavy or just let it stock .. ur car needs the inertia on the flys to take off !! u want to take off faster on drag!

if you got some spare money lying arround while changing ur clutch? Why not do it too .. :p

EK4R
11-05-2007, 02:10 AM
the only problem i can think of is reversing. its a bitch if ur fking reversing on a hill!

11-05-2007, 02:32 AM
oohh tahts gonna be a B1TCH even going up the hills ..
but mines is alright ..

i got a 8lbs alumn fidanza not bad :p good response just stupidly i put a stage 4 cluctch and the press plate.. F!@#K hard compare to the std.. i need like a week to get used to it.. the 1st day i stall so many times on the intersections .. makes me feel like im a Learners again LOL

its really hard to drive when trafic :( verry tiring even though the pedal was set low

aznpsuazn
11-05-2007, 03:53 AM
Go for the light weight! Great mod to do. I would say match it with an organic clutch. I wouldnt get a triple plate or anything stupid like that, especially with otherwise standard goods.

Dont be a ricer now and get a hecticickity clutch just for the sake of chirping gears!

11-05-2007, 09:57 AM
Dont be a ricer now and get a hecticickity clutch just for the sake of chirping gears!

Its Horrible sound !! lol i got the 6 puck stage 4 and the flys cheap :p dats why i grab them .. now i'm suffering well .. at least now my left leg can kick people harder then my right? ;)

didz
11-05-2007, 10:18 AM
A lightened flywheel will give you better response and acceleration.

There is a downside to a lightened flywheel. IF you like hill climbing and mountain driving you will notice a drop in acceleration when going up hills.

hondavti25
14-05-2007, 07:28 PM
any one recomend a flywheel for a D16y8? and price

14-05-2007, 08:11 PM
Fidanza should be ok but if you want go something cheaper try XTD they are ok prices.

turtleEK1
14-05-2007, 08:13 PM
any one recomend a flywheel for a D16y8? and price

fidanza or if you want quailty... go an ACT flywheel...

when looking at flywheels, keep in mind what its made of... for street use, alloy flys would be fine and are cheaper... but if doing some series driving, go chromoly... doesn't warp as easy... but not as cheap...

Cold Fusion
14-05-2007, 08:29 PM
i have a mildly worked b18a and i have a full AEM EMS ECU, if i get a lightened flywheel will i need to re-tune or anything? im thinking about getting clutch/flywheel soon i think

thanks

14-05-2007, 08:47 PM
dun think u need
5% of the engine coz of light fly wheel its only 1 - 2 HP .. size of mini RC car LOL !! .. dont bother to spent money on tune. unless u put something major on ur car again. :p better valve spring maybe or new ITB coz u got new cams now hahhaha :)

Cold Fusion
14-05-2007, 08:58 PM
already for the valve springs+ retainers :P

14-05-2007, 09:08 PM
den new ITB :P or quads .. plz make sure it doesnt give out diesel smoke out LOL

loki78
22-05-2007, 02:18 PM
Does anyone know the differences between manufactures like Exedy, Toda and Jun for a lighten flywheel. I can get the Exedy lighten flywheel for a good price but would like to know if the Toda and Jun flywheels are in anyway better? Assuming they have the same weight and made from the same material, will it drive differently for flywheels of different manufacture?

wlan-11g
22-05-2007, 02:41 PM
Exedy are quality flywheels. I've got one in my dc2r. no worries here.

shebangs
22-05-2007, 08:03 PM
Spoon Flywheel here, awesome-so. Matched with Exedy HD Organic Clutch.

didz
22-05-2007, 10:23 PM
anyone know a rough price for a lightened flywheel for a dc5R

vtc
23-05-2007, 12:14 AM
doesnt anyone just machince their stock flywheel anymore? is there a limit of how many times you can reuse a flywheel? my car is reaching 200km and im sure its on the original flywheel.

hondavti25
23-05-2007, 11:20 PM
any one suggest a good one for a D16y8 in a EJ8

czy_sol87
24-05-2007, 12:53 AM
doesnt anyone just machince their stock flywheel anymore? is there a limit of how many times you can reuse a flywheel? my car is reaching 200km and im sure its on the original flywheel.

machining of ur stock flywheel is fine, there is a limit just like disc brakes thought i doubt u would have reached it, how many times would u have changed a clutch on a car that has 200k on the clock

any one suggest a good one for a D16y8 in a EJ8
as ppl have said above Toda, Spoon, excedy, ACT, etc, etc, reasearch what different compaines have for ur car and choose the one that best suits what u want out of ur car

crx_boy7
24-05-2007, 07:00 PM
u also get boncy revvs, ie u put it into 3rd and if the revs dont match the car jerks back and forth because of the loss in momentum

kraiye
06-06-2007, 11:03 PM
is it worth getting an oem one lightened as opposed to a brand new brand name one? (especially for someone on a budget!)

bennjamin
06-06-2007, 11:07 PM
Taking weight from a OEM wheel cannot be done to the same degree as a aftermarket FW. Also it maybe unsafe to remove too much material from a CAST flywheel
Just get a aftermarket FW of your choice. Toda , Spoon , Exedy , clutchmasters etc.

dudeling7
06-06-2007, 11:11 PM
my fidanza 7.5lbs flywheel arrive the other day, ill let u know when its broken in with new clutch.

have heard good things about it :)

kraiye
06-06-2007, 11:21 PM
thnx :)
dudeling: how much did it set u back? (diff engine i know, just checking)

Jase EK
07-06-2007, 07:31 PM
im selling my lighten flyhweel for h22a, Brand new ! hehe so i guess i wont be finding out if its worth it or not :(

dsp26
07-06-2007, 07:37 PM

don't want it cracking under high speed.. imagine that shit slicing through the gearbox into the cabin. i wouldn't lighten factory lightened ones anymore... though Rs have theirs lightened?

Also slight weight differences between brands don't matter anywhere near as much as design and where weight is removed.... remember that inertial weight reduction is the key to a light flys performance.

There was an independent test done between PAR engineering flywheel compared to a Fidanza which was a tad lighter (SR20). PAR engineering had similar inertial weight because of the design even though it was heavier.

http://forum.pulsar.org.au/showpost.php?p=1083257&postcount=1

I decided to test a few of the flywheels available for an SR engine, to see how much of a difference a lightened flywheel will make.
For full details of the testing see this pdf - its 6 pages long, so I will provided a summary here.

Using a testing rig I setup in my garage I measured the moment of inertia (MOI) of each of the flywheels I have.

The lower the MOI, the faster the engine will accelerate. So from a 'performance' point of view the best flywheel will have the smallest MOI.

The weight and MOI of the three flywheels were measured to be

Stock : Weight = 8.20kg, MOI = 0.0982±0.0015kg·m2
PAR : Weight = 4.20kg, MOI = 0.0485±0.0025kg·m2
Fidanza : Weight = 3.95kg, MOI = 0.0492±0.0025kg·m2The PAR and Fidanza have a MOI about half that of the standard flywheel. However, the the difference between the two is next to nothing, despite the PAR weighing significantly more.

I then used a simple model to predict the improvement in acceleration for a car fitted with a PAR flywheel compared to stock. The last column shows the percentage improvement in acceleration from the fitting of the lightened flywheel.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/dsp26/ImprovementTable.jpg
Notice that the gain from a lightened flywheel reduces as the gear ratio reduces - the biggest gain achieved in first gear.

For an engine in neutral, the improvement in angular acceleration (speed revs increase) when fitting a PAR flywheel compared to stock is 38%.