PDA

View Full Version : How you guys pump air for the spare fullsize tire

tron07
20-04-2007, 10:28 PM
Extremely difficult to do so.... the valves is facing downwards and cant fit the nozzle of the air pump in.

and the valve cap drop somewhere, and i need to search for it at home with a torch light... tried to search for it in the petrol station but was worried I might get mugged. The bootlight was covered by the board, the light from the parking was block by me.

Mr_will
20-04-2007, 10:48 PM
tried taking it out?

as001
20-04-2007, 11:45 PM
u need to totally take the spare out of under boot compartment then pump it up i do this once a year i do mine at 42 psi

mastcell
21-04-2007, 01:32 AM
I pump my spare to ~60 PSI, and always carry a tyre pressure gauge in the car to adjust down the pressure when I need to use it. Air leaks out of spare typre much faster because it is not carrrying any weight. At ~60PSI, the internal air pressure resists air loss much better so there is less chance I end up with two flat tyres by the road side.

J-TODA
21-04-2007, 01:39 AM
I pump my spare to ~60 PSI, and always carry a tyre pressure gauge in the car to adjust down the pressure when I need to use it. Air leaks out of spare typre much faster because it is not carrrying any weight. At ~60PSI, the internal air pressure resists air loss much better so there is less chance I end up with two flat tyres by the road side.

WTF!!!??? 60 psi damn......im amazed it can hold that much pressure... usually i pump my tyres to 39 or 40 and 42 for the spare

mastcell
21-04-2007, 02:33 AM
I don't think there is any problem pumping the spare up to 60PSI as long as you dont load it. This suggestion came from a motor magazine many years ago. You can certainly leave yours at 42 but you just got to check it more frequently or risk having a flat/underinflated spare when you really need it.

NeoNode
21-04-2007, 04:09 AM
Or get the tyre filled up with nitrogen, would lose pressure at a slower rate than air.

Merlin086
21-04-2007, 06:33 AM
I second that, go to Bob Jane, costs $5/ tyre, and a tyre lifetime of checks and top ups (if needed) for free.

Or do what a lot of us do and run nitro in all your tyres to maintain a constant pressure with almost no loss.

Only $25 for the 5, and your tyres last longer, to me that's a good investment!

Adagio
21-04-2007, 08:26 AM
To give you both hands free apply a pad of velcro to the lip of the spare wheel cover. One half is attached to the cover and the other to the boot lid roof area. When you lift the cover the velcro holds it in place. If you use the self adhesive backed Velcro I suggest you have wife/girlfriend/partner sew around the edges for max adhesion. Now you can easily move the spare around to replenish the air, say 40 PSI and check every 3 months.

tony1234
21-04-2007, 10:09 AM
I just pump it up to like 48psi and check every 6 mths.

Merlin086
22-04-2007, 08:09 AM
I recently checked my spare after about 2 yrs with nitro in it and it was down about 2lb........slack aren't I!
....ahh well.......... it's only a Ford...lol

Antonio 84
22-04-2007, 08:14 AM
Someone at Honda mentioned to me that the ideal pressure for the front and rear tyres are different for the Euro. Is this true? I don't remember the figures sorry but I think the front was a higher PSI than the rear.

Merlin086
22-04-2007, 11:14 AM
I run 38 front and 36 rear with nitro after much research here and on the Acura tsx site.

mastcell
22-04-2007, 09:10 PM
Someone at Honda mentioned to me that the ideal pressure for the front and rear tyres are different for the Euro. Is this true? I don't remember the figures sorry but I think the front was a higher PSI than the rear.

Have a look at this and decide for yourself:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21154&highlight=tyre+pressure+gauge
;)

Antonio 84
22-04-2007, 09:16 PM
Cheers

sendok
22-04-2007, 09:41 PM
Yeah used to pump the spare til 4Xpsi and keep check it every 3-5months :D i think u need to release it first if you want to pump it properly..

Mr_will
22-04-2007, 10:53 PM
I second that, go to Bob Jane, costs $5/ tyre, and a tyre lifetime of checks and top ups (if needed) for free.

Or do what a lot of us do and run nitro in all your tyres to maintain a constant pressure with almost no loss.

Only $25 for the 5, and your tyres last longer, to me that's a good investment!

man i hate people who are dumb enough to fall for nitrogen inflation.

air is 80% nitrogen, or thereabouts.

NeoNode
22-04-2007, 11:08 PM

Because air has water vapour, just because air is made up mostly of nitrogen doesn't mean filling up with nitrogen is useless.

Lets face it, not everybody is going to be bothered checking the spare tyre's pressure on a regular basis, most are neglected for long periods of time until you need to use it to replace a flat tyre.
So the less air pressure lost, the better for these people.

Considering it doesn't kill the bank to have one tyre filled with nitrogen, what have you got to lose? If it isn't worth your while, then don't refill it with nitrogen next time.

tron07
23-04-2007, 08:58 AM
I put in 33psi all round....[:D] feel tha its too bumpy if more...

Jegi#5
23-04-2007, 08:56 PM
I put in 33psi all round....[:D] feel tha its too bumpy if more...

I would have thought you would need more on the fronts to compensate for the weight of the engine between the front axles? :honda:

Merlin086
24-04-2007, 02:02 PM

If I and others here are dumb enough to "hate" (a very strong opinion)then....

you are a poor pathetic ignorant dumbass for having the belief that your personal opinion is the correct one.

As you appear to own a Honda why don't you read this Honda site http://www.honda.com.sg/nitro.htm or should I advise Honda of your superior knowledge as well as the Fomula 1 Association, just to name a few.

Do you honestly believe that Formula 1 cars would bother to use nitrogen in their tyres with the millions available for R & D.

I suggest that with your attitude you try drinking sewerage as it is in excess of 80% pure water....hmmm
I thought not.
You see, it's not what the 80% is, it's what the other 20% is.

I hate people who hate people for having a different opinion.....

Like " I hate Integra drivers" from Newcastle...now that would be ridiculous!

Don't blame us Honda advises its use!!

mastcell
25-04-2007, 12:08 AM
Merlin086,

Mr_Will used pretty strong language but he does not deserve your retaliatory barrage. Ok, may be a little...However, your response also shows that you are pretty headstrong and cannot accept other's point of view.

We do not drink sewerage because the 'water' is contaminated with solids (eg, turd) and infectious substances. However, it is completely safe once the contaminated water is properly treated.

You cannot use that analogy to compare to use of compressed air and nitrogen to inflate passenger car tyre.

OK, nitrogen is used in Formula 1 car, where no expense is spared. It is hardly practical for normal use unless you have on-call access to a cylinder of nitrogen.

Air contains a small amount of water vapour which may cause corrosion in the carcass of the tyre. Nitrogen is supposedly a larger molecule than oxygen so it leaks out of the tyre at a slower rate, but how are all these going to be relevant beyond the race track?

Rather than fuss over what is used to fill the tyre, it is more important to inflate the tyre to the optimal pressure and check it regularly. With this simple message, most of the so-call advantages of nitrogen are negated.

The website quoted is Singaporean Honda website. The air in humid tropical country is quite different to what we have here. Furthermore, the act of compressing the air actually dehumidify most of the moisture, so compressed air that goes into the tyre is actually much drier than ambient air you and I breathe.

Let me 'debunk' the other points mentioned on that website:

How many times have you witnessed passenger tyre exploding? I haven't. Oxygen only becomes dangerous at high concentration and pressure. At atmospheric level, it will support combustion but it will not cause spontaneous explosion. There is a difference.

It is a fallacy to think that nitrogen is 'cleaner and greener' because much more energy is required to extract nitrogen from air and bottle it for distribution. The enery cost in production is reflected in the retail price you paid for the staff. ;)

Merlin086
25-04-2007, 08:04 AM
Mastcell, you have missed my point.

I am not here to analyse the science behind the use of nitrogen, but to make an informed decision on its use for myself, and allow others to also make that informed decision based on the information available.
The fact that others choose not to use it is of no concern to me, however I do not criticize and and refer to others as "idiots" for their personal choices.
I have quoted a source of my information, but have not criticized anyone for their choice not to use it, so why the comment "cannot accept other's point of view."
My "retaliatory barrage" was in response to myself and others being called "dumb" for having a different opinion to Mr will on the use of nitrogen in tyres.
My water analogy was to emphasise that it is the impurities that cause the problem whether it be water or air, and yes once these are removed the water/gas is more suitable to the required purpose.
No I don't own a bottle of nitrogen, but a quick visit to Bob Jane every month or two is free. Normally no pressure loss in a 2 month period. I assure you most drivers do not check their tyres on a weekly or fortnightly basis.
You emphasis "inflate the tyre to the optimal pressure and check it regularly", although have you considered it will then vary substantially depending on the climatic conditions of the day? This will then cause undue tyre wear and varying levels of handling.
As for Singapore air being more humid, you have already stated that "the act of compressing the air actually dehumidify most of the moisture", so what is the point?

I believe it is up to the individual to to make that informed decision, for whatever reason they see fit.

Personally I use it as I get to choose my tyre pressure
myself, and not the prevailing weather conditions.
If my pressure is varing from , say 35psi to 45psi depending on if it's raining or a 38c day, then my tyres will handle and wear quite differently.
I prefer to have my tyre wear consistant along with their ability to grip the road regardless of the ambient temperature. My other reason is I know that from week to week my pressure will be have minimum pressure loss.

As a decent set of tyres costs $800+ IMHO I believe that a $20 investment is justifiable, along with a wheel alignment
( costing considerably more than nitrogen) If the nitrogen improves my tyre life by , say 10%, then the $20 investment has saved me $80, not considering any cost saving in fuel due to my tyres running at the optimal pressure all the time.

And yes, the 'cleaner and greener' sounded like a bit of overkill to me to, along with the exploding tyres.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but do not deserve to be abused for it, however those who freely dish it out deserve all they get!

....IMHO....

mastcell
25-04-2007, 10:00 AM
Merlin086, I accept your explanation.
I like the bit on '800 for a set of tyres and 25 for the N2'. That is entirely justifiable.
The science warrants the use of N2 in tyre, but in my opinion, it is a technological overkill in most applications.

Thanks, it is great to clear any misunderstanding.

ek4-guy
25-04-2007, 10:05 AM
lol i dont have a spare in my car

kyle
26-04-2007, 07:13 PM
extra weight! lol

tony1234
26-04-2007, 09:33 PM
I'm running nitrogen with 40 psi all round in my tyres.Im' with Merlin on this one.For $20.00 i figure it's worth it since i don't have to check my tyre pressure for 2 mths. at a time plus you get free top ups.Any extra benefits such as longer tyre life etc.i figure is a bonus.:thumbsup: