PDA

View Full Version : accelerator problem, need some help

mugen24
21-04-2007, 12:29 AM
My accelerator is a little bit stiff and it's not like that smooth from the beganing to the end. this is hard for me to start at the traffic light, and sometimes if i want to go smooth, i have to give the clutch up very very slowly and that will kill the clutch faster.

also, relate to this. my 98 VTiR only can run 350kms/40L on SHELL V-Power, and i ve never driven it hard. is the accelerator pro cozd the fuel comparison become higher?

has anyone had a same pro as this? is that coz the accelerator pedal's spring, or any others?thanks

bennjamin
21-04-2007, 11:48 AM
Open the hood - look in the engine bay.
Is the cable kinked / hooked on something ?
Pull the thottle butterfly by hand - does it have any resistance ?
I bet it is hard to move at first , but will come " unstuck" and work OK.
This is due to carbon and crud buildup around the throttle body + butterfly.

Take of the intake arm to the throttle body , and clean out the throttle body with a toothbrush and some carb cleaner. Scrub all around the butterfly ( the moveable flap) and try to remove any deposits. Leave to dry before hooking up again and starting the car

chickenisme
21-04-2007, 03:11 PM
If the cable is stiff and does not free up, you may need to oil the cable. Never use CRC to do this. CRC will free it up but a few months later the cable inside will begin to rust and evenually break.

mugen24
21-04-2007, 09:15 PM
thanks you guys. maybe i will explain your opinions to the workshop and i think they will do it well for me, r they?

tommmoe
22-04-2007, 04:59 PM
its not that hard to do it yourself, one thing you dont want is the accelerator cable snapping at full throttle.. :O

mugen24
29-04-2007, 10:03 PM
i went to one work shop. they did a cleaning for me like which bennjamin has said:" Take of the intake arm to the throttle body , and clean out the throttle body with a toothbrush and some carb cleaner. Scrub all around the butterfly and try to remove any deposits". coz they r busy, so theu didnt leave it until dry and the mechanic start the car b4 he put the intake arm on.

after he did the cleaning, i feel much better. but start from today, it is getting hard again. sounds like the thottle butterfly is tense up. this is really bother me when i was driving.

can i just loose the thottle butterfly or go somewhere else to fix again........the mechanic through last time said he couldnot do any better, this the best he can do. he said nothing wrong with my cable........

bennjamin
29-04-2007, 11:43 PM
sounds like the gunk is returning. Try replacing your PCV ( its located on the inlet runners between the injectors- a tube runs from it to the inlet manifold.
)

mugen24
30-04-2007, 12:34 AM
sounds like a small pro. but huge bothering.....what is full name for PCV

bennjamin
30-04-2007, 03:42 PM
PVC= Positively ventilated crankcase.

correcto.

It seems , that this valve does get old and needs replacement. IT can contribute to both minor oil useage , reduced fuel economy and sludge buidlup inside the inlet manifold. A small cheap thing but piece of mind IMO.

vinnY
16-05-2007, 11:06 AM
did you end up fixing the problem mugen24?

so i don't need to start another topic
i get the same feel, will be cleaning the throttle body soon but how do you lube the cable? and whats best to use?