PDA

View Full Version : Rear Squeeky Rattle Car Vibrates

98gsi
21-04-2007, 01:49 AM
I have a late 98 Integra GSi

The car has just done a round trip to melbourne and Blue Mountains and back home.

Now it has developed a squeeky rattling noise at the back of the car and at certain revs the car doors windows etc make a low hum type vibrating noise. Also there has been a noticeable drop in power, especially on kick down of auto gears (say driving uphill). I got under the rear of the car (while car on my car ramps) and did not notice anything loose. Sometimes when I kick the rear exhaust pipe slightly the noise goes away. I felt the exhaust/muffler brackets but they feel OK. Also the engine vibrates more than it used to.

Now I'm taking a punt: Could it be that a chunk of my CAT Converter has broken off and is rattling around in my rear muffler and is blocking part of the muffler exhaust hole ??

My daughter wants to take it to Sydney tommorrow, but I won't let her till it is fixed.

Is my punt on the money or might it be somthin else ?

If correct whats a new Honda Cat converter worth part and labor ?

What sort of damage could I do if I keep driving it with this problem?

Spunkymonkey
21-04-2007, 01:29 PM
you sure it's the exhaust and not the parcel shelf or the sussy rattling? or exhaust rubber broken?

Zilli
21-04-2007, 02:05 PM
mate thats a good theory, but if there was something trapped in your muffler, or if the cat has disintegrated it would make a hissing noise or some sort of weird noise through the exhaust system

but then who knows

94vti-r
21-04-2007, 02:46 PM
Same thing happened here, i found that it was my parcel shelf that was squeaky and i still have the rattle noise especially when vtec kicks in im not too sure. Have you got any loose items in the door pockets of the door, because it rattles a little bit from the items in the door. If you still cant suss it out let the guys take a look when you drop it off for a service. With the engine rattle it could be linked to a worn engine mount. As for a CAT problem i doubt it.

98gsi
21-04-2007, 02:47 PM
you sure it's the exhaust and not the parcel shelf or the sussy rattling? or exhaust rubber broken?

Will check all three (maybe even see if some tools are rattling around in spare wheel area - but before checking, previously sounded more like from under rear of car, so if not cat material in exhaust, perhaps a good look at the exhaust rubber.

Can't think what part of the suspension might rattle like that - sus usually squeeks more than rattle - heh! heh! - grrr! cars!

98gsi
21-04-2007, 02:53 PM
Same thing happened here, i found that it was my parcel shelf that was squeaky and i still have the rattle noise especially when vtec kicks in im not too sure. Have you got any loose items in the door pockets of the door, because it rattles a little bit from the items in the door. If you still cant suss it out let the guys take a look when you drop it off for a service. With the engine rattle it could be linked to a worn engine mount. As for a CAT problem i doubt it.

Yeah! OK, I will have to check the parcel shelf out carefully, now your saying it also.

Also, yep the engine mount did cross my mind - might have two problems going at the same time confusing the issue.

94vti-r
21-04-2007, 05:06 PM
if your not too sure, just take out the parcel shelf and go for a drive to somewhere you know that you can hear the squeaks and if it doesnt to it then thats the problem . Yeah 2 things happening at the same time can make the smallest problem, seem that much worse

98gsi
22-04-2007, 01:44 AM
if your not too sure, just take out the parcel shelf and go for a drive to somewhere you know that you can hear the squeaks and if it doesnt to it then thats the problem . Yeah 2 things happening at the same time can make the smallest problem, seem that much worse

JRC "could also be your rear suspension bushings???"

"maybe need to change them and get them repressed, happened to my dc2 about 2 years ago..."

Will have to check both of the above on Monday - flat strap till then!

Thanks cobbers! Will get back to you with the result.

SmIrNoFF
22-04-2007, 03:37 PM
I may know what the rattling is... it could be your boot latch... try wrapping some electrical tape around the hatch hook and see if that helps

98gsi
22-04-2007, 06:26 PM
I may know what the rattling is... it could be your boot latch... try wrapping some electrical tape around the hatch hook and see if that helps

Will try tommorrow (Monday) - thx

TheSaint
22-04-2007, 07:36 PM
yep boot latch happened to my dc2 vtir

still cant figure out how to fix it, was gona get honda to look at it wen it gets serviced next, that may be expensive tho

any good fixes for this problem?

my dash is a starting to rattle and my door panels have come loose as well, panels wont be hard to fix but i dont know about my dash =/

98gsi
24-04-2007, 04:20 PM
OK, so I checked the parcel shelf - No not that.
I checked the boot (hatch) latch - No definitelty not that.

So it was pooring down raining and I decided it might be better to take it to the local Honda service centre, the guy checked it out on the hoist and saw the problem right away: Someone (probably my daughter) had reversed the rear muffler into something because you could see the scrap marks and that pushed the exhaust up and back. Pushing the muffler up caused the stiff rubber mount (which connects to a metal rod off the muffler) to bend 90 degrees and thus allowed the muffler to bounce and vibrate off the floor of the rear boot area. He fixed that by shoviong a crowbar lever into it and reefing it down again. That fixed the rear vibration rattle.

However, I pointed out to him that the car and engine were still vibrating a fair bit, no rattle but still a vibration. His assessment was that perhaps the whole exhaust pipe may have been pushed back enough to be putting a continuous tension on the engine thus making the motor vibrate and also the chasis. He said I needed to come back again when he had time and drop the whole exhaust system (hang it loose) to isolate if that's what it actaully is. If hanging loose the engine and car no longer vibrate, then he will heat up the muffler pipe and adjust the tension. If it still vibrates, then its most likely an engine mount or two that needs replacing and they cost about $100 to $150 each plus $100 to $200 labour.

Spunkymonkey
24-04-2007, 10:16 PM
hey mate, this is what I meant by rubber mount....same thing on my car needs replacing lol...

98gsi
24-04-2007, 11:49 PM
hey mate, this is what I meant by rubber mount....same thing on my car needs replacing lol...

Yep! You were 60% right about the exhaust rubber mount (the rear right mount to be exact). It's easier to notice on a proper hoist than on my car ramps. Now I need to check out the exhaust system for tension OR the engine mounts. My guess is, the remainder of the vibration is that the exhaust pipe is bent a bit at the curves and is pressing against the engine and will need an oxy torch to bend the middle of the pipe somewhere to straighten it out and release the tension from the exhaust being pushed back towards the engine (probably reversed into a gutter or something).

Spunkymonkey
25-04-2007, 05:39 PM
cool. Good luck with it :)

didz
27-04-2007, 12:05 PM
i get a similar rattle with my dc5R i might check out what you guys have said.

didz
27-04-2007, 01:12 PM
K its the muffler! damn twinloop is hitting something under the car :(

Spunkymonkey
28-04-2007, 10:11 AM
K its the muffler! damn twinloop is hitting something under the car :(

Probably hitting the LCAS...sure it's the muffler, or the exhaust pipe before the muffler...you might need to get this raised over the lcas.

yourfather
28-04-2007, 10:54 AM
the other thing that might give rattles, just as an FYI, you know the wiper blade on your rear window.

Sometimes the wiper blade housing, on the inside, the plastic interior bit, rattles against the metal from that. It's damn annoying!

dc2dc2dc2
28-04-2007, 11:55 AM
i get rattle from my boot lid..... most annoying rattle ever.

didz
29-04-2007, 01:07 AM
its either the mufflewr or exhaust because when i jiggle it around it makes the same noise. ill need to jack it up and havea good look under it but its shitty rain atm so yeah...