PDA

View Full Version : type r head conversion

onabuzz
21-04-2007, 02:01 AM
hey guys i have a b16a2 in my del sol, im looking into getting a complete type r teg head and bolting it on, i jus want to know if theere is anything special i should be doing or is it straight bolt on. also do i need to change the computer or will the internals work with the stock b16 ones for now?

plus while the head is off, a ne1 knwo of a good gasket to life my compression a little bit? any suggestions and comments will be of help, need to know as much as poss

cheers

SLOWEGG
21-04-2007, 03:03 AM
Save your money and just use it to PnP your B16A head. But if you still want to go through with it then yes it is straight bolt on if you know what you're doing.

OEM gasket will work fine.

fatboyz39
21-04-2007, 03:05 PM
Just muck around with your b16a head. But YES its a straight bolt on.

vinnY
21-04-2007, 03:36 PM
wouldn't it be a better idea to bolt your b16 head on to a b18 block?

JohnnyVtec
21-04-2007, 03:45 PM
hey guys i have a b16a2 in my del sol, im looking into getting a complete type r teg head and bolting it on, i jus want to know if theere is anything special i should be doing or is it straight bolt on. also do i need to change the computer or will the internals work with the stock b16 ones for now?

plus while the head is off, a ne1 knwo of a good gasket to life my compression a little bit? any suggestions and comments will be of help, need to know as much as poss

cheers

RE: Hello, do you have any modifications to your stock standard, Intake, Header, Exhaust? If not, these changes should be made either before or after your cylinder head choice has been made. It is very important that you keep in mind that whenever you decide to change something such as a cylinder head. You must take into consideration the difference in your air/fuel ratio,
difference in camshaft lift/dur, as well as rev range relocation. You will need at a minimum a tunable ecu or piggyback. Fully programmable engine management recommended. You can decide on a port and polish + valve job on your pr3=b16 head which is ample and should be just as capable * with the correct matching valvetrain components*, if not more capable than a itr cylinder head. In short, *Brand new only* itr cylinder head, put simply can virtually be bolt on fwhp once tuned to your existing setup. how much power? That is ultimately determined by your peripheral components. Such as Intake manifold, Header, Throttlebody, Intake piping, Adjustable cam gears, EMS brand & tune as well as camshaft timing.

PS. I have a cheap itr copy header, aftermarket intake manifold & throttlebody, power fc, stock b16a2 block with like 240,000 k's on it and i got good gains but my $300.00 header and $150.00 exhaust is restricting my power to 102 fwkws. buy smart=buy once;)

Hope this helps:thumbsup:

*MAKE SURE YOU USE ITR HEAD BOLTS IF YOU USE ITR HEAD*

onabuzz
21-04-2007, 08:14 PM
well i picked up the whole head really cheap so im goin with the b18cr head, so far i have standard headers but i was looking into some xforce ones to get put on once i put the head on. is it possible to have the new head on with my exisitng computer, jus to give me some time b4 i can buy a new ecu? like will it still increse my power or will it not make much of a diff?

also are my b16 injectors alright? and can ne one recommend a decent intake manifold ?

ACTI0NMAN-1
21-04-2007, 08:48 PM
its a waste of time. changing the head wont yeild a higher compression ratio.

http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/compcalc/compcalc.php

i would suggest getting a hand on a new bottom end. place the type r head on that, then sell your b16 if you dont have a use for it. Changing the head on a b16 to a type r head is a wase of time as you arnt gaining anything. infact it will cost you more needing a tunable ecu to get the same out as your b16.

BlitZ
21-04-2007, 08:52 PM
PNP is good when done well, but doing it well will cost a fair bit...
A shit job would **** you head ...

ITR head is slightly hand refined from factory with a better valve train...

if no additional work is going to be done, then the head swap will deifnitly yield more power.

ideally u would want to bump up the b16a compression to run the ITR head.

what intake manifold and tb are you planning to run with? ITR?

ACTI0NMAN-1
21-04-2007, 08:55 PM
unless he's also doing the bottom end, the better valve train is of no use. as the bottom end can only safley spin to the stock rpm.

BlitZ
21-04-2007, 08:58 PM
its a waste of time. changing the head wont yeild a higher compression ratio.

http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/compcalc/compcalc.php

i would suggest getting a hand on a new bottom end. place the type r head on that, then sell your b16 if you dont have a use for it. Changing the head on a b16 to a type r head is a wase of time as you arnt gaining anything. infact it will cost you more needing a tunable ecu to get the same out as your b16.

Its not all about compression ratios.... :zip:

and yes it going to be alot of money.. better off crvtec for alittle more on std head

BlitZ
21-04-2007, 09:00 PM
unless he's also doing the bottom end, the better valve train is of no use. as the bottom end can only safley spin to the stock rpm.

the bottom end is strong man.. I would be more worried about getting the cr up and not how well it will spin

ACTI0NMAN-1
21-04-2007, 09:03 PM
the only way i can figure he's going to be able to increase cr is to either use a single layer gasket, or change the pistons, requiring bottom end work.

JohnnyVtec
21-04-2007, 09:20 PM
well i picked up the whole head really cheap so im goin with the b18cr head, so far i have standard headers but i was looking into some xforce ones to get put on once i put the head on. is it possible to have the new head on with my exisitng computer, jus to give me some time b4 i can buy a new ecu? like will it still increse my power or will it not make much of a diff?

also are my b16 injectors alright? and can ne one recommend a decent intake manifold ?

Do not use cheap or bang for buck headers if you want to be 100% happy with your setup. I've made that mistake already. I would recommend Edelbrock, Toda, Hytech. They are expensive but *THE GAINS EARN IT BACK*

Do not run stock standard obd2 B16A2 ecu! The stock b16 ecu is not programmed to provide the fuel curve required for increased cfm of air flow provided by the itr head or cams! If you do use the stock standard ecu. Make no mistake, you *WILL* damage your engine by running it too lean.

You should be able to get away with running your stock injectors. They are rated @ 240cc's and will safely do the job depending on which intake manifold & throttle body you're using.

You will now need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator due to installing the itr head. Wise idea to seek a better intake manifold!

You will also now need a tunable EMS in order to run this engine safely and provide you with the best performance. *Whatever you do*, make sure you have someone who is knowledgeable in hondas and your choice of EMS do the tuning.

PM me, I'll hook you up with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator for free. A M8 of mine has a AEBS Typhoon for sale ;)

onabuzz
22-04-2007, 10:48 PM
ok cool! thnk im slowly gettin there,, i dotn want to change my bottom end, i just want to make the itr head work effectivly on my b16 bottom.. just want to know all i have to do to make this happen.. whats a cheap but good ecu?

ACTI0NMAN-1
22-04-2007, 11:32 PM
cheapest ecu is chipped p28. but tuning it is the hidden cost.