PDA

View Full Version : Best/proper way to run in your engine?

joey_kev
21-04-2007, 12:19 PM
Hi,

Just bought myself a new accord, its only 17km on the clock now and I know how you drive in the first few k's are very crucial for its long term.

Any input?

How long should I warm up the engine first thing in the morning before I drive off?

fatboyz39
21-04-2007, 03:04 PM
Drive it hard. Don't redline it, just load up the engine. For example 60km/hr 4th gear plant the foot till 80-90km/hr

Slow96GSR
21-04-2007, 04:02 PM
Let it warm up and then you can drive it hard, that's the same on a new or old motor. I run them easy for the first 300-500 miles then harder for the next 1500 miles. Once I hit 1700-2k miles I drive like I normally would. Do oil changes at the first 250 miles, then 500 miles later, then 1k miles later, then 2k miles later, then you can start doing them every 3k or 3 months or what ever you want.

Menthu Rae
21-04-2007, 04:58 PM
Drive it hard. Don't redline it, just load up the engine. For example 60km/hr 4th gear plant the foot till 80-90km/hr

That is like the worst thing you can do on a new engine.

Drive it how you normally would, but avoid going too high in the RPM range. Also don't do hard launches or anything like that...

What you want to do more often than usual though, is to let the car engine brake (if it's manual)... i.e. you're 100m off the traffic lights and they're red... drop it down a gear or two (depending on your speed) and let the revs/momentum of the engine/tyres slow the car down, this helps the ring to seal as there is load on the engine but it is not at high RPM.

So yeah, use the available rev range - up to a certain point... for my car when I was running it in, I didn't go above 5000RPM (H22A) - but I varied the load on the engine... quick acceleration in low gears (2nd/3rd) up to that 5000RPM... lots of engine braking when going down hills or coming up to traffic lights, etc...

Use it, don't abuse it.

Drew
21-04-2007, 05:12 PM
It's really a grey area...

Some say baby it
Some say thrash it

Rice_4_life
21-04-2007, 05:32 PM
not sure about breaking in a new engine but try and get the oil and filter changed at the 1,000km/1 month service if you are going to break it in hard (imo)

iced
21-04-2007, 06:23 PM
search button buddy

panda[cRx]
21-04-2007, 07:07 PM
. Do oil changes at the first 250 miles, then 500 miles later, then 1k miles later, then 2k miles later, then you can start doing them every 3k or 3 months or what ever you want.

for all current AUDM honda's they have additives in the oil from the factory and Honda actually recommends AGAINST any oil changes until the 10,000km mark.

the Euro still has the oil change at 1000km or 1 month (whatever comes first)

BlitZ
21-04-2007, 09:03 PM
drive it like its stolen.. ahahah kidding..

dont thrash it in 1st and 2nd... give it abit in 3rd
redline is ok.. but dont WOT.. never WOT

I would do a hell alot of 3rd gear engine brakes from high revs all night.

ACTI0NMAN-1
21-04-2007, 09:04 PM
as blitz says, also a bit of loading like accelarating in higher gears.

Lukezen27
21-04-2007, 11:20 PM
That is like the worst thing you can do on a new engine.

Drive it how you normally would, but avoid going too high in the RPM range. Also don't do hard launches or anything like that...

What you want to do more often than usual though, is to let the car engine brake (if it's manual)... i.e. you're 100m off the traffic lights and they're red... drop it down a gear or two (depending on your speed) and let the revs/momentum of the engine/tyres slow the car down, this helps the ring to seal as there is load on the engine but it is not at high RPM.

So yeah, use the available rev range - up to a certain point... for my car when I was running it in, I didn't go above 5000RPM (H22A) - but I varied the load on the engine... quick acceleration in low gears (2nd/3rd) up to that 5000RPM... lots of engine braking when going down hills or coming up to traffic lights, etc...

Use it, don't abuse it.

Hi Guys

I ran-in my recently rebuilt D16Y1 SOHC VTec using the hard method as per the instructions here::

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

She’s now done about 10,000Km since the re-build and she hasn't missed a beat, plus I red line her daily :eek:

Believe what you want but the article made sense to me, hence the reason I decided to try it..

LukeZen

dc2dc2dc2
21-04-2007, 11:29 PM
i agree...its a very grey area ?

there was a thread a while on this

as stated earlier
some people say baby it for first few thousand km's
others say gun it from start.

DynoDave
23-04-2007, 07:51 AM
What I would like to know is what are you running in,as the rings will seal within the first 30 sec of the engine starting up, bearings dont touch anything as there is a film of oil between the crank and them,so what are you running in.As stated else where in this thread this whole area is very grey and any engine that I put together using OEM Honda parts is on the dyno as soon as we start it and work it as hard as we can,just my 2 cents worth.
Regards Dyno Dave

panda[cRx]
23-04-2007, 09:51 AM
taken from hondaone website, pretty vague

Q. Are there any precautions I should take when "running-in" my new Honda?
You can help assure your car's future reliability and performance by paying extra attention to how you drive during the first 1,000 km.

Try to avoid full-throttle starts and rapid acceleration. Also try to avoid hard braking. New brakes need to be broken-in by moderate use for the first 300 km.

Lukezen27
23-04-2007, 06:48 PM
What I would like to know is what are you running in,as the rings will seal within the first 30 sec of the engine starting up, bearings dont touch anything as there is a film of oil between the crank and them,so what are you running in.As stated else where in this thread this whole area is very grey and any engine that I put together using OEM Honda parts is on the dyno as soon as we start it and work it as hard as we can,just my 2 cents worth.
Regards Dyno Dave

Nice to know I made the right chose Dave lol

PS wheres my Socket kit you were sending me?

Cheers

LukeZen

preludacris
24-04-2007, 04:26 AM
that thread was an interesting read.

looks like hard break in is the go.

DLO01
24-04-2007, 07:45 AM
Take a look here:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

jeffske
24-04-2007, 08:11 AM
i read that newer cars have a "memory" and if you dont thrash them from early on they wont perform as well as a car that was thrashed from early on
is this true?

BlitZ
24-04-2007, 09:28 AM
dont worry people.. chances are you cars were already thrashed driving in and around the docks.. Oh they are also thrashed when they drive the car out for item inspection before delivery...

Got a mate who does the job.. he is a cherry popper