PDA

View Full Version : coilover suggestions

ToFuBoi
21-04-2007, 12:43 PM
friend is over in singapore at the moment and can get me relatively cheaper suspension parts on his way back... i have an eg9 so lookin for something to fit on to dc2/eg6 lcas

can anyone suggest any if any of you have been to SG as of lately? any particular bargains over there... was thinkn just sticking to tein ss // good ol' koni yellows

any help muchly appreciated

kyle
21-04-2007, 02:46 PM
can't go wrong with tiens mate

Spunkymonkey
21-04-2007, 04:46 PM
I've got the cusco zero 2Es and I like them so far.

PaZzMaN-R
22-04-2007, 02:45 AM
good old coilover debate.
mate to help yourself and us out more, what do you use the car for most. are you prepared to sacrifice comfort. will you track it? do you togue?

.::F[L]Y::.
22-04-2007, 11:20 PM
I have had and tried the following on both my DC2 and DC2R

Tein SS- didnt like it at all. low end tein product. if going low is factor then dont bother with these.

D2- Good bang for buck coilover. Comfy for streets and alright for track. Can go really low.

HSD- same as above. Better than the D2s imo.

Cusco Zero 2- Had this on both DC2 and dc2r so far are the best apart from tein flex in my experience. Can go relatviely low.

Ideally you would want something with damper adjustments and 2point height adjustability....

AsH_
22-04-2007, 11:23 PM
Fightex...

23-04-2007, 12:04 AM
nebody tried Apexi WS yet? or
tokico adjustbale damper and height? apparently they pretty good on roads ..

misterpoh
23-04-2007, 03:44 PM
parts in singapore are not cheap vs aussie. u are most likely to pick up a fake product vs getting a bargin.

TheSaint
23-04-2007, 07:09 PM
i was going to get tein flex, but i was worried about comfort so i was going to go for tein SS instead, but from reading this i might look around a bit

Cusco Zero 2- Had this on both DC2 and dc2r so far are the best apart from tein flex in my experience. Can go relatviely low.

what would be the best comfort/performance ratio for street use mainly?

xtina
23-04-2007, 07:10 PM
just to add my 2 cents... just a query.. what would be a normal price for D2, HSD and Cusco Zero 2?.. this is to suit DC2

Spunkymonkey
23-04-2007, 10:32 PM
just to add my 2 cents... just a query.. what would be a normal price for D2, HSD and Cusco Zero 2?.. this is to suit DC2

New for Cusco Zero 2e is approx 2380 ish.

Ofcourse check out the parts for sale forums as many members sell second hand parts including coilover sets.

25-04-2007, 01:03 PM
you can try tokico RK series... 4 damper adjustment with coilovers
or good old days with koni sport + springs :)

xtina
25-04-2007, 08:21 PM
thanks guys.. il do some more research.. being second hand wont they be worn a fair bit and once put onto another car not be so easy to adjust the hieght?

string
26-04-2007, 10:01 PM
you can try tokico RK series... 4 damper adjustment with coilovers
or good old days with koni sport + springs :)
Good old days is where it's at. I am quite fond of my koni sports. For their (cheap) price they are worth every penny. But you won't get mind blowing cornering with a set of koni's and everyone's favourite king springs...

Take 1: Primarily for performance. If you want shitty* dampers and possibly shitty* ride (relative to handling performance) get a name brand coilover such as many mentioned in this thread so far. If you want something to handle how you want it, look a bit deeper into some decent brands, and choose springs rates to suit your application.

(*Shitty is a relative term. Shitty to you might be good.)

Idealy for performance you want custom valving to suit your needs, and same for spring rates. Height adjustment and damper adjustment is a wank, and is often so abysmally non-linear (or worse, non-matched between shocks) that it's near useless for tuning.

Take 2: Both for performance and height adjustability, or bling factor if you are that way inclined. Pretty much anything mentioned thus far will satisfy this option. The more money you have the more performance, adjustability and bling you get. Pretty simple.

With an off the shelf package you get what someone else thinks handles well. There are a few companies around who backup their products with track times which is always a good thing. But no manufacturer can know what tyres you'll be running, or your weigh distributions, so in the end, you'll always be able to go faster with a completely custom setup. They sure will burn a hole in your wallet though.

Everyone drives differently, every car is different. You'll never get the "perfect" setup on the first thing you buy. But rest assured, no matter what you buy it'll be one hell of a setup up from stock :D

Good luck.

Dylanamus
13-07-2007, 10:45 PM
string: good post. I've heard koni coilovers compared to DMS 40mm... for me the choice would have to be DMS, because koni don't make anything for my JDM ride.

A good angle to research from is looking at what no-compromise race or rally cars are running... then explore what those brands offer and what sales points they market.. then you get a feel for what factors are important in performance and what to look for in lesser brands...

As String kind of suggested, take a long hard think about the custom route. It will save you the loss on reselling second hand suspenssion one time or more...

Ironically, the best advice you can receive is from people who push you to do more work and be patient and thorough about it. If you base your decision purely on testimonials about the handling of other peoples cars, you are relying on a subjective analysis that doesn't take your personal situation into perspective.

e240
14-07-2007, 12:42 PM
parts in singapore are not cheap vs aussie. u are most likely to pick up a fake product vs getting a bargin.

Thats a load of bull.

16CTEG
14-07-2007, 02:37 PM
buddy club race spec dampers are the go!!!!!!!!
thats my opinion!!

piassh
14-07-2007, 04:47 PM

Bro,

Parts in Singapore are cheap and won't be fake as they are imported in from Jap. It depends on where you get it and who you get it from.
I used to own TEINs HA for my EK4. It cost about SGD $2400 for a full package.
Koni Yellow can cost you about SGD $1400 I remember.
I know some automotive shops that sell cheap stuff there.

I would reckon TEINs HA as one of the best suspension system used ever.
Its flexible in terms of adjustable soft and hardness with those adjustable clickers.
Height of your car can be adjusted with those wrenches that comes with it.
Its durable too. I had it for my car for 3 years man. So no problem given.

Koni Yellow is famous for its hardness...I sold it after 3 weeks after my mum puked halfway thru on the freeway right after dinner.
But hard doesn't mean bad. It gives you maximum stability. So its a kind of comfort vs performance thingy here. Most of all..haha..it's cheaper than TEINS.

That's my 2 cent worth bro...

string
14-07-2007, 04:50 PM
How stiff were your springs you used to induce vomiting. I run yellows with relatively low rates and on the softest setting it feels like stock.

piassh
14-07-2007, 04:54 PM
I was on KGmm springs with lowest settings on yellow I remembered haha...
But I love it...
My mum complained about it and so...yeah got to change it as she chipped in abit for the car....
It turn out that TEINS lowest settings is better....It's really stock feeling man..

string
14-07-2007, 05:01 PM
Yeah fair enough. I don't have that problem - my car, my rules :D

piassh
14-07-2007, 05:04 PM
I've once thought of bringing parts into Sydney from Singapore though.
But I'm just wondering if it's gonna be marketable.
I have links to get or the B blocks engine too.
It's massively lying around Singapore man...

e240
14-07-2007, 09:35 PM
Koni Yellow can cost you about SGD $1400 I remember. I know some automotive shops that sell cheap stuff there.

Price have come down alot since. I just bought Koni yellows front and rear (No Springs) for about $650 a complete set.

piassh
15-07-2007, 12:58 AM
Price have come down alot since. I just bought Koni yellows front and rear (No Springs) for about $650 a complete set.

Oh mine comes with KGmm springs hehe...
But it was a bit pricey then. That was 5 years ago bro haha...