PDA

View Full Version : diagnosing and fixing clutch shudder

vinnY
22-04-2007, 12:20 AM
as far as i know, clutch shudder is when the car pretty much shudders like its axel tramping while taking off

this could mean either the flywheel needs machining or the clutch plate springs have failed

to fix it either machine the flywheel and/or change the clutch plate
what visual signs would i be looking for if i took the gearbox apart? how would one identify whether the springs have failed on the clutch plate, etc?

someone able to correct and/or elaborate on this topic for me?

bennjamin
22-04-2007, 12:30 AM
clutch shudder seems to be a problem with either the flywheel having burrs and uneven surface ( from either worn clutch , or new install without properly machining flywheel OR wrong bedding in ). IT also seems to be an issue with HD and organic style clutch kits. The engagement / torque transfer is harsher and hence shudders
So...the only way to fix is to properly machine the flywheel next time around, and properly bed it in too. (500+kms of easy driving)

vinnY
22-04-2007, 12:33 AM
any real damage done while driving with clutch shudder?
so its no chance that the clutch plate itself is rooted?
last owner said they changed the clutch(some daikin one, made for b18 thrown into the b16) but i'm not sure whether they bothered to machine the flywheel
i don't mind just changing the flywheel, just sucks if it turns out the clutch plate is rooted too

if i were to take out the flywheel to machine or replace it with a fresh machined one should i do anything to the clutch plate to make sure theres proper contact?

in my situation, i have to take off at about 2000rpm to minimize on the clutch shudder
slipping it doesn't help it either, everything on the dash shakes but otherwise not very noticiable from the outside of the car

bennjamin
22-04-2007, 12:39 AM
more info....

is it a new clutch kit ? HD ? stock ? OR how many k's on the clutch as is ?

vinnY
22-04-2007, 12:47 AM
more info....

is it a new clutch kit ? HD ? stock ? OR how many k's on the clutch as is ?

wasn't installed by me, installed by the last owner
not sure on age but i assume no more than 1 year ago
the model is a daikin r1155n, i can't find any info on it so i'll assume its a stock clutch(though it does have '1.8L, type r' written on the box)

tried to google the model but came up with nothing about the clutch itself, no luck searching on the exedy site either :(

Samo
22-04-2007, 12:54 AM
if its apart ... might as well change the whole clutch kit ...

dont just change the friction plate .. get a clutch kit

and machine OR get a lighten flywheel if u got the $$

vinnY
22-04-2007, 12:56 AM
not apart yet, willing to do it diy but i'd like to just replace a flywheel than spend on a clutch which i didn't originally need
might be replacing it with an itr flywheel but clutch kit i'd rather not change if i don't have to

czy_sol87
22-04-2007, 10:05 AM
are u sure its not the type of clutch u've got in there ie ceramic or button clutch
what does the pedal feel like is it really heavy? and the friction point is it really harsh, like u have to ride it alot??
oh and i dont think it matters if it says b18 clutch kit, im pretty sure all b-series clutches are the same

vinnY
22-04-2007, 12:22 PM
i'm pretty sure its not, had the stock clutch feel
the friction point makes the whole car axel tramp(wheel hopping without the speed)
whole dash and everything shakes and goes nuts
no matter how much i ride it it just won't be smooth

yeah i figured all b series were the same, just not sure whether it would mean anything or not

AsH_
22-04-2007, 08:19 PM
can a old or worn clutch, flywheel, etc cause poorer fuel economy???

power difference 2???

bennjamin
22-04-2007, 08:43 PM
try flushing your clutch fluid first with some fresh DOT 4 fluid ( OEM honda brake fluid) and see if that helps. Could be a simple problem of air bubbles or crud in the hydraulic system.

kyle
22-04-2007, 09:16 PM
it only costs $50 to get a flywheel machined flat anyway, thats including a new spigot baring. When changing a clutch you should always change everything down there.

vinnY
22-04-2007, 10:11 PM
i know to change everything, unfortunately i don't think the last owner did :(

T-onedc2
22-04-2007, 10:52 PM
HD Organic clutches don't shudder at all from my experience, but ceramic clutches will shudder but improve a little in time.

vincikwan
03-04-2008, 12:21 AM
$50 to machine but $350 to take it out...the flywheel i mean. my HD clutch shudders. Hope it will go away after the break in. just installed today

vinnY
03-04-2008, 01:02 AM
holy old thread batman

my troubles were actually a few things that i found out later
1. broken top passenger engine mount and busted torque mounts
2. isb was super dead and shattered into 1000000 pieces
clutch was actually okay

afaik new clutches shouldn't shudder especially if the flywheel was machined

bennjamin
03-04-2008, 02:10 PM
ISB was a few less than 1000000 pieces lol im sure.

vinnY
03-04-2008, 03:28 PM
well you couldn't hold it together as one piece could you :p

hui
10-04-2008, 08:44 AM
my troubles were actually a few things that i found out later
1. broken top passenger engine mount and busted torque mounts
2. isb was super dead and shattered into 1000000 pieces
clutch was actually okay

afaik new clutches shouldn't shudder especially if the flywheel was machined

interesting, i got a spoon organic clutch and fly combo, clutch is organic and i first thought that it shrudders because its the nature of running aftermarket clutches, might have to check the mounts and isb.... it's anoying coz my dash vibrates...

vinnY
11-04-2008, 01:28 AM
the 'shudder' i had was more like i was axel tramping(whole left side of the motor was bouncing inside the mount itself causing the shudder i was experiencing