PDA

View Full Version : how do u tell if a dc2r has been wound back?

Entity
29-06-2004, 03:46 PM
i've had a look at a few dc2r's i'd like to buy lately
and a few have suspiciously low kms..

is there any way to tell if its been wound back or has had a dash console change?

i know if they have full honda service history it is guaranteed kms but most of these cars didnt get serviced at honda its whole life.

thanks

CJL
29-06-2004, 04:36 PM
meh not to sure but some times the numbers dont line up, or they just move when u hit the top of the dash.. its the only real way u can tell unless u rip out the whole dash

FR33K
29-06-2004, 06:22 PM
but most of these cars didnt get serviced at honda its whole life.

maybe u should find one that has ???
patience :)

A'PEXi
29-06-2004, 06:54 PM
check log books, have a drive, get a mech to check it.... its hard to tell just by looking at the numbers which show on the dash...

Sp3rMz
29-06-2004, 07:01 PM
moving slightly away from the subject i just recently bought dc2r and most of them have high KMs and sum suspecsious low ones too....but wat i like to say is DC2R parts are very good and you really wouldnt need to worry as much at high kms as you normally would.....

SLIK_TEG
01-07-2004, 06:04 PM
yeah honda parts alltogether are really good, they built them well.

my car is on 150,000 almost and the car is runnin smooch! :)

Entity
01-07-2004, 06:33 PM
i donno

my accord had 165000 on it when it died very HARD on me

spite
09-07-2004, 05:32 PM
Alot of the Type R owners I know don't travel all that much in their R's. Often they are just weekend cars.

Some of them will have low kay's..... servicing is not that imperitive provided the mechanic/shop has been around for a long time.

Frequent servicing would be the most important part.

Boost
09-07-2004, 09:56 PM
yeh its hard to tell, they could have had the entire cluster changed making hard. Or they could have wound it back. Check the alignment of the numbers and compare the logs with the numbers on the meter. :D

sharik
10-07-2004, 01:33 PM
You can tell if its been wound back, but you probably wont be alowed to do it, since its not your car.
Most cars (recent cars) come with a mechanism that prevents you from winding it back, to wind it back you need to brake the little mechanism (which is easy) in order to wind it back. So the only way to find out is to take the console out and check behind the clock, it would be obviouse if it was wound back.
Im not sure exactly on DC2R's if they have this mechanism but I know that many early model cars have this.

Entity
12-07-2004, 01:04 AM
i'm more worried about them changing the entire cluster

vtecinaccord
12-07-2004, 02:44 PM
I don think that the numbers lining up is one way of telling if they have been wound back. I have a Accord with 90 000 k and its numbers are all whacko. but my parents have owned this car since new so it has not been touched

CJL
12-07-2004, 03:35 PM
Meh I thought it was a sign because I couple of my mates have wound them back and you cant get them to line up to well.
This reminded me of a story that happened to my brother.
He was about to buy this integra vtir from a well known honda dealer in Melbourne, One of the honda mechanic guys owned it previously he wound it back 90k..

A mechanic told me you can tell that it has been wound back by the brake pads cause they usually write on them somewhere when they got changed over last. Plus just lil stupid things like the service sticker. Some times they forget to remove them apparently lol