PDA

View Full Version : ED/EF vs EG

matttai
23-04-2007, 04:39 AM
Hi everyone,

I am interested in buying an ED/EF as a daily runabout. I feel like leaving the window open for some mild modding if i feel like it.
However looking around this forum it looks like parts and aftermarket support seems very small here in Aus. for the ED/EF?

The classic shape and the cheaper price of the ED/EF makes it more appealing. Also it looks like you get better power for your money (1.5L standard) compared to paying more for the EG Breeze and only getting a 1.3.

However i am thinking the parts/support part of it will come around to bite me should i run it into a pole or something.

Thoughts? Thankyou.

qstoria
23-04-2007, 04:48 AM
parts for EG are far superior when it comes to modification and repair oportunities. in terms of daily driving, well that is up to you. the older interior of the ED/EF may not suit some where as there is a notable jump in the EG's interior if you ask me. i own an EF crx and my friend has an EG and i much prefer the slightly newer feel of the EG's interior. a lot of DC2 parts are easily fitted into the EG civics as well so again replacing/repairing parts can be a lot easier not to mention more possibilities to modify.

If you can live with the older style of the ED/EF models then you will save some money in the purchase price. my advice though would be to shop around and try and get a a gli EG which is FI.

one last thing though.. if its a daily driver then does it matter if its 1.3 or it is carby? if it saves u cash for other things then maybe its worth it... isnt that the point of a daily driver? decisons decisions

sendok
23-04-2007, 10:01 AM
ef, ed, eg looks alright to daily driving.. but as gstoria said the interior different.. i prefer eg better and i still love it after around 6years keep staring the same dashboard :D i try ef before.. and i got bored with the interior.. but not the style not the power.. they all great :D

matttai
23-04-2007, 11:56 AM
qstoria : the 70 odd kw i would get from the ED/EF i would appreciate more than the 50 odd from the breeze. I've driven an echo before and pile 1 or 2 friends in with the drive and it struggles to go up a hill! Granted i wouldnt be carting friends around all the time but its nice to have if you could you know what i mean?

I am not sure about the interior as i dont think it would matter to me so much. Just wanting to make sure there isnt some hidden store of ED/EF parts somewhere i havent happened to come upon before i take the plunge for an EG.

Going by the parts bin which is probably the most important thing to me at the moment i think the EG would be the go.
I was just questioning wether it was worth paying the extra money (2-3k on average by the looks of it?) over an ED/EF but it looks like it may be most worth it in the long run.

Thanks guys

DreadAngel
23-04-2007, 12:12 PM
Worth it man, the support you get with EG is nuts, you can use EG/DC2 parts lol, that itself is already bonkers with a flood of parts.

Leprechaun
23-04-2007, 03:38 PM
I have both an ED and an EG, i prefer the exterior looks of my EG, but like my EDs interior. I cant really comment on a regular EDs motor, as mine is now vtec, but the way it is now is heaps better than my vti hands down...

Jarkz
23-04-2007, 04:09 PM
I personally think it's worth paying the extra $$$ for a EG over an ED/EF for reasons already mentioned.

But if the ED/EF shape tickle's your fancy then why not get a CRX?

matttai
23-04-2007, 04:18 PM
CRX are alot more expensive and 99% of them are modified (and mostly not to my taste).
I am not after full on power though i could appreciate the power of the 1.5 over the 1.3.
Then there is also the question of availability of parts again that this older generation seems to be lacking in.
But yes i did have a look at them :)

aznpsuazn
23-04-2007, 07:16 PM
I think thats a bit of a misconception regarding the parts there mattai. You will have to spend more time looking for parts, but doesnt necessarily mean you wont find it. What exactly are you planning to break ?

Lets just make it clear that EF and ED civics are totally different. Be clear on what you're after. The EF civic is a different car in a few aspects in comparison to the mild ED civic.

kyle
23-04-2007, 07:26 PM
10-4 Big daddy

matttai
23-04-2007, 07:55 PM
Oh i didnt realise ED and the EF were two different cars. I thought it was a US and Japanese designation thing? I meant the 4th generation civic 88 - 91 just before the EG.
I've been looking at basically spending < 5k on a runabout (excluding insurance etc.) but one that has a decent range for some mild modding.

It would be great if you could enlighten me as to what these differences are.

In terms of parts i guess i mean the exterior. As in bumpers, body panels, glass, lights and misc. garnish.

And also misc. engine parts say alternator / radiator / power steering pump etc.
as with old cars these kind of things tend to fail fairly often

SINISTR
23-04-2007, 08:36 PM
There are different ways of looking at 'why should someone' get a car in this particular instance an ED over an EG.

Back in the day when ED/EFs were in their prime (90s) the aftermarket support was absolutely massive!!! Same with the DA integra.

But as time passed and the EG came out the support shifted. Sure there is still loads of parts available for the ED.EF but you have to be patient, check out all the options, sometimes you have to be quick to secure something before someone else gets it but thats the beauty of it.

In 5yrs time when EGs reach their 20s parts will start to become scarse as well... so while right now people get EGs because of the vast amount of parts for them, the ED/EF crew are at the stage of appreciating the cars and parts which can 'still' be found.

Matttai: i say if you're after getting a run around car with lots of aftermarket support, get an EG civic/crx - simple. If you want a 'classic' shape if the civic/crx and are willing to spend a little more time looking for valuable parts which adds to the experience - then the ED.EF is for you.
Don't buy an ED.EF and then complain because this or that isn't available. As i said - its an appreciation. Look at the other people who own the AH/AF civics or CRXs - and consider the fact you pretty much can't get squat locally in terms of modifications or aftermarket ricing stuff.

my 2 c.

aznpsuazn
24-04-2007, 12:49 AM
Matty, in all honesty, <5k for some decent modding and i dont see the feasibility of it at all.
This sounds like your first car, and my advice to you is to leave your first car as a daily stock run around until you learn more about cars and you earn more to support the mods you wish to do. You can learn that the easy way or the expensive way which a lot of us will agree to on here.
Click here http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/HONDA/CIVIC/private-results.aspx?PriceMin=2500&Model=CIVIC&PriceMax=5000&distance=25&N=4294965322+80+461+442+4294965250&State=New%20South%20Wales&state_id=80&Make=HONDA
These are civics priced under $5k. Now with the exception of http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/private/HONDA/CIVIC/details.aspx?__Ns=pCar_PrivateSpecialFlag_Int32|1| |pCar_ImageCount_Int32|1||pCar_LastModifiedDate_Da teTime|1&Make=HONDA&__Nne=20&R=1080014&PriceMin=2500&PriceMax=5000&state_id=80&__N=4294965322+80+461+442+4294965250+834+285+257&distance=25&trecs=8&Model=CIVIC&__sid=10F4FD23B157&silo=1003&Cr=2&seot=0&State=New%20South%20Wales
these arent really cars that are worth modding at all. i wouldnt even spend $130 to buy a K&n filter for these. the gain is just so minimal and worthless, also considering that simple mods such as air intakes will only benefit an engine that is ready for it, which these cars arent ready for.

You speak of "mild modding", and on a car such as these, you need to think if its really worth doing it at all. With respect, this low price range, spending small money on small mods, dont go there. Waste of time and money, because after spending $500-$1000 on parts and labour for "mild" mods such as intake and exhaust, well you really still dont have that great/fast a car. Use your run around as a means to get to work and make money to save up for a better project which will be more satisfying. I think $1000 spent on a b16 will yield much greater results than anything else witith the sub $5k range.

matttai
24-04-2007, 03:09 AM
This is actually my second car. I think i have already pretty much learnt the expensive way on the first one ( JZZ30).

by the looks of this to be on the safe side i think it will be best spending the extra 1-1.5k for a EG which would give me the best support and stability in the long run which is what i should be more looking for in a daily.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Leprechaun
24-04-2007, 03:20 PM
Now with the exception of http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/private/HONDA/CIVIC/details.aspx?__Ns=pCar_PrivateSpecialFlag_Int32|1| |pCar_ImageCount_Int32|1||pCar_LastModifiedDate_Da teTime|1&Make=HONDA&__Nne=20&R=1080014&PriceMin=2500&PriceMax=5000&state_id=80&__N=4294965322+80+461+442+4294965250+834+285+257&distance=25&trecs=8&Model=CIVIC&__sid=10F4FD23B157&silo=1003&Cr=2&seot=0&State=New%20South%20Wales

Thats my lil beast! At this stage it looks like it'll be going to my mate for next to nothing if its not sold by end of this week.. at least i'll still see & hear it eh..