PDA

View Full Version : dc5 base problem

prusso
23-04-2007, 05:42 PM
hey guys
on the way home tonight in the rain, my integra dc5 (base auto model)
my car was running quite shit, the exhaust kept popping, felt like i was tail heavy and being pulled back, the revs kept bouncing, it kept happening in auto and manual mode, it felt like the computer was trying to select the gear but couldnt make up its mind, could this be a problem, or could it be an exhaust problem, gear problem or perhaps water getting into the cai cos the rain was extremely heavy...
any help would be appreciated (service was done about 500kms ago, exhaust put on about 350 kms ago)
thanks

prusso
26-06-2007, 11:23 AM
ok bump
the problem still exists and ive gone to local mechanics, exhaust shops (hitech), auto electricians, honda dealers and australia!, performance shops (toda n proconcept)
the problem has got worse, basically in the rain it looses all its power, u put ur foot to the floor and it wont even acknowledge it, the revs will bounce around for 30seconds or so, backfire and then clear, after that i would sit at a traffic light and the car would idle badly, the engine would vibrate and shake and the exhaust hits the chassis
originally we thought it was the cai, but i reverted back to stock and the problem exists, electrical problem? not entirely sure, we have checked over most of the car and nothing seems amiss, any suggestions on wot else to look at
btw it only happens in the extreme rain that we have had lately

JasonGilholme
26-06-2007, 11:26 AM
i reckon you've got a rooted engine mount and your wheels are spinning in the wet.

prusso
26-06-2007, 11:27 AM
engine mounts are good, checked them 1hr ago
its def not wheel spin...or hydroplaning

XP02ED
26-06-2007, 11:38 AM
that sucks maen, issit only when it rains? if so waters leaking into a wire or plug

I lost power before and found..
Injector filter dunno about dc5, habnt opened mine, but it was clogged.
Fuel Filter was clogged

and it had the same symptoms

prusso
26-06-2007, 11:40 AM
yeah we kinda thought about the wires, most of them cant get wet or create a short that will be pushed away within 30 seconds or so
and if the ecu gets wet it throws a code
btw no check light or engine codes
im actually gonna check the fuel filter, spark plugs, coilpacks 2moz

XP02ED
26-06-2007, 11:46 AM
yeh my civic had similar problem, i found it had all this sh*t in the filters and injectors which was getting filtered and clogged up after time..

not sure about the ECU side but if you do an ECU check and nothing comes try checking the fuel filter..

prusso
26-06-2007, 11:48 AM
it only happens in the real bad rain and goes away so that gets every1 thinkin along the lines of air/fuel mix and water upsetting it :S
so confusing....i wish there was a simple answer
i moved from nissan to honda cos my old pulsar was riddled with problems and ever since owning my dc5 it hasnt changed :(

JasonGilholme
26-06-2007, 12:21 PM
loose/leaking O2 sensor fitting causing the sensor to flood with water and not read properly??

prusso
26-06-2007, 01:20 PM
checked both primary and secondary o2 sensors :)

EL_DC5
26-06-2007, 01:49 PM
loose/leaking O2 sensor fitting causing the sensor to flood with water and not read properly??

It would bring up the engine light if it was that

EL_DC5
26-06-2007, 01:50 PM
Do you have an aftermarket air filter???

I had Ingen CAI and it got wet I was getting the same problems as you described.
I had to take it out clean it and dry it then try to put it a bit higher. I haven't had that problem since.

prusso
26-06-2007, 02:56 PM
i had an injen cai but i reverted back to stock and the problem exists
we even made an induction box and taped up the entire guard with the cai

EL_DC5
26-06-2007, 02:59 PM
Did you change/dry the sensor. because I has to blow dry it and it worked after that.

Reset ECU aswell

prusso
26-06-2007, 03:00 PM
wot sensor?
the one that plugs into the intake?

EL_DC5
26-06-2007, 03:04 PM
yeah and also for the f*#k of it, I blow dry the intake manifold. it got so wet that it had moisture all along the tube to the manifold.
That can stuff the sensor making it burp. like that

prusso
26-06-2007, 03:18 PM
dry as a bone...its been happening for months now

Zilli
26-06-2007, 03:25 PM
Phil, not even Honda can work it out?

prusso
26-06-2007, 03:28 PM
rick damellianand eastwood honda couldnt work it out
col crawford were ****wits and basically made out that i was lying
the place where i bought the car, mazda two doors down from col crawford wanna help but they just dont have the time to drive around with me in the rain to show the problem
honda australia have been shown internet forums showing ppl with similar problems, massive thread on clubrsx but they seem like they dont care, the head tech dude of honda australia basically said bl luck off the draw....
so frustrating now ive gotta drive the car again in rain sigh!

EL_DC5
26-06-2007, 03:57 PM
is it under warranty?

prusso
26-06-2007, 07:27 PM
just finished honda warranty
2yr used car warranty at the mazda dealership, but they dont no where to start...
basically gotta find the problem and they will try and fix it, hence trying to get a ecu fault code which turned up with nothing :(

DR HONDA
26-06-2007, 08:44 PM
Ill figure it out theres never a problem to big on a honda.

prusso
26-06-2007, 08:45 PM
any suggestions on where to look :)
just keep naming possibilities so i can try and rule them out
its gonna be painful and time consuming but i really need help :(

Edgeauto
26-06-2007, 09:18 PM
The only thing i can think of off the top of my head is maybe baro sensor

prusso
27-06-2007, 08:51 AM
tested crankshaft sensor this morning by hosing it down, it wasnt the problem :(
changing the fuel filter, spark plugs etc today see how it goes
also gonna test the coils

EL_DC5
27-06-2007, 04:18 PM
silicone the bonnet and get a snorkel for intake

XP02ED
27-06-2007, 04:20 PM
prusso, to be honest i dont think changing the stuff is gna work if it only happens during rain..

EL_DC5
27-06-2007, 04:35 PM
move to WA or NT not much rain there

prusso
27-06-2007, 09:22 PM
prusso, to be honest i dont think changing the stuff is gna work if it only happens during rain..

they need changing...they wont fix the problem
it has to be the crank angle sensor
drenched it today with water but it didnt do anything on a hoist
gonna try it again soon