PDA

View Full Version : Reving Dc2 with twirling jet noise

BC8
24-04-2007, 12:58 PM
hey guys
my cars due for a service soon @ 140k's
last service was @ 132k's with the dial @ 139 atm
noticed past 2 weeks that sometimes when revving, u dont hear raw engine rev and instead i hear "whirl whir" like a jet about to take off. Also, a result of power loss and shifting gears are not smooth
i havent changed the gearbox oil before as Ive bought it 3 months ago
im thinking the thorttle body may be clogged and the car needs new oiL :D?

JohnnyVtec
24-04-2007, 02:31 PM
Best thing to do is take it to your mechanic like yesterday!!!
The problem could be anything from oil pump to timing belt.

It's anybody's guess... If you're losing power, chances are if you don't have it looked at soon. Things are going to get a whole lot worse real quick!!!

Hope this helps,:thumbsup:

dc2itr
28-04-2007, 08:13 PM
do u have AM air filter? Friend of mine had a similar prob an it ended up being a crack/fracture to his air filter piping. Don't know how they crack but could explain the sound and loss of power.

Int3gra-T
28-04-2007, 08:34 PM
could be audio, usually whirling like a turbo means a bad connection somewhere,
or just the power cables your running,
to fix - just get a sound muffler for the back of the deck, it will get rid of the noise "partially"

Spunkymonkey
29-04-2007, 01:52 AM
Um...definitely not air filter noise? from an aftermarket pod filter? Otherwise it could be the bearing noise from the gearbox...you need to get someone to have a look at the car to determine what the problem is for you.

BC8
29-04-2007, 10:17 AM
do u have AM air filter? Friend of mine had a similar prob an it ended up being a crack/fracture to his air filter piping. Don't know how they crack but could explain the sound and loss of power.

i have a cheapy branded pod filter from previous owner. Branded "redline" seems like supercheap auto stuff.

BC8
29-04-2007, 10:20 AM
could be audio, usually whirling like a turbo means a bad connection somewhere,
or just the power cables your running,
to fix - just get a sound muffler for the back of the deck, it will get rid of the noise "partially"

i've recently installed a sound system (splits, amp and sub) and this occured around within the week. When ignition is switched on with power the amp is already on. your right, it does whirl like a turbo sometimes but doesn't happen everytime i drive though.
Where does the sound muffler get attached to?
This might be the problem . Still trying to diagnose the problem

BC8
29-04-2007, 10:21 AM
Um...definitely not air filter noise? from an aftermarket pod filter? Otherwise it could be the bearing noise from the gearbox...you need to get someone to have a look at the car to determine what the problem is for you.

Im not too sure if its from the air filter or not.
I guess i'll have to look for cracks?
Im planning to replace the air filter anyway to a K&N or AEM one soon

sml-089
29-04-2007, 01:41 PM
it sounds like its ur sound system to me. this is physics but 2 wires have a force reaction on each other, so if u have had it wired professionally this shouldnt have happeneded, but if 2 or more wires are running close to each other they will react on each other and make sort of like a turbo noise. solution, run power and rca cables down opposite sides of the car. if u have a few rcas, try run them down different passages.
ps, i have the same problem in my car atm, just cbf yet to fix it. lol