PDA

View Full Version : Sound Deadening Questions

Moya
24-04-2007, 04:34 PM
Going off CAA's Tutorial here (http://www.caraudioaustralia.com/content.php?contentID=19).

The following is what I was planning on getting.

Things Needed:

Wax & Grease Remover (K&H make good stuff, 4lt for $20) easy
Sound Deadener Matting Bulk Pack Dynomat Xtreme
Heat Gun Question 1
Electrical Tape Easy
Duct Tape Easy
3 or 6 mm MDF Easy
Some kind of paint Easy
Scissors, Knife Easy
A hot day is ideal

1. Is there a place you can hire a heat gun from for a weekend? Or should I kill my gf's hairdryer?
2. What SD paint should I use? Brand? How many Litres will I need?
3. How long will my car smell after it's all done?
4. Is there a 'settle in' time? Should I leave it for a day before blasting the stereo to let the glue dry?
5. The thumb screws things, in the boot, that hold the plastic onto the car. Where you can buy them from? When I removed them previously to install my new Antenna, I recall breaking a couple of them (being 12 years old now).

My plan was to pop into Bunnings, buy the Wax/Grease remover, buy the SD Paint and Bulk pack of Dynomat. Have the MDF precut. Then wait for a hot Saturday and go nuts.

I was going to paint the outter skin of the door. Then duct tape/mdf all service holes.
Then apply the dynomat to the inner skin and the door skin of the door.

How do you apply Dynomat to the outter skin of the door? With the service holes, it doesnt leave you much room to slide a decent sheet behind it? Or do you just SD paint the outter skin?

Thanks!!

Fr3aKi3
24-04-2007, 05:31 PM
1. Brand new heat guns can be purchased from bunnings for about $30, although killing the hairdryer might be more fun.
2. No idea about this one since i've never used the paint on stuff
3. As above, although if you're using Dynamat there won't be any smell at all
4. Same as 2 but i'd assume that there is some sort of curing/drying time with the paint on stuff. Dynamat you just apply and rub/roll it in and that's it, it's stuck on good so you can pretty much use the stereo straight away.
5. Placelike Repco or Autobarn might have some replacement screws/clips, if not there is always Honda spare parts.

Bunning will not have any dynamat, you'd have to go to a car audio store for that. By car audio store I don't mean JB Hifi or strathies, i'm reffering to speciallist car audio stores such as FHRX, Doran Pro Audio, Fairfield Car radio etc.

I'd use dynamat for both the inner and outter door skins, ease of use and less messy. Will probably last longer too since i've heard stories of the paint on deadeners coming off, more so on vertical panels. As for getting the dynamat to the outter skin, just cut the sheets into smaller pieces.

Just be sure to clean it properly, it's very important that the surface which you're going to apply the SD on is clean.

integraz
24-04-2007, 07:12 PM
Yep most important is preping the doors, make sure its clean enough to lick off, no dust etc etc.

Use Dynamat Extreme, don't use/ need any SD paint.

No need for a heatgun, it might be easier to use, but still its not needed, it might be better if it was a hot day, you can jsut leave the dynamat in the sun and let it heat up, but still i did it at night in the cold, in winter, no heat/heatgun still easy to use, and stuck on good.

Use a roller or a round object to press the dynamat to stick on, or just use fingers and pressure.

It's all in the door prepping.

kiwicuz
24-04-2007, 08:39 PM
I agree with above use Dynamat it is very affordable and easy to use and apply I use it every day and swear by it. By the time you spend a few dollars here and there it will prob work out cheaper using it, just buy a door kit.

integraz
24-04-2007, 10:34 PM
Bulk pack will work out to be cheaper ..can be had for $230, 9 sheets, each sheet larger than the door kit sheets, and you can do the boot or whereever else you like :)

Moya
24-04-2007, 11:27 PM
I want to do a overkill job, for sure. Not fussed on spending few extra dollars.

I thought you need SD Paint for the small areas you cant really reach? Such as, the outer skin? And the door trim? How would you apply sheets of Dynomat to the outer skin? Do you have to remove the inner skin then lay the sheets down on the Outer skin?

Vinnie
25-04-2007, 04:39 AM
I agree with above use Dynamat it is very affordable and easy to use and apply I use it every day and swear by it. By the time you spend a few dollars here and there it will prob work out cheaper using it, just buy a door kit.

my dynamat extreme door kit put me back $200. its good stuff but not exactly cheap ;)

as for the install, i like my method of jus dumpin the car at a shop and payin sum1 else to do all the hard work for me :p

Fhrx
25-04-2007, 10:33 AM
When we sound deaden doors wo usually use roughly half a Dynamat bulk pack (this is four to five sheets).

We first do the outer skin (outside of the car), then we do the inside and place a diffuser right behind the speaker. See the photos below:

Outer skin:
http://www.fastfoursforumscarclub.com/temp/door_installation_pulsar/2.jpg

Diffuser:
http://www.fastfoursforumscarclub.com/temp/door_installation_wrx/3.jpg

Inner skin:
http://www.fastfoursforumscarclub.com/temp/Door_Installation_Skyline/5.jpg

Hope that helps a little.

Moya
25-04-2007, 11:17 AM
Fhrx, wow that helps ALOT.

How did you apply Dynamat to the outter skin, in the top left area of the first pic?

Moya
07-05-2007, 12:41 AM
Can anyone tell me, whats the purpose of the plastic (and the glue holding it on) behind the door skin?

Can I remove it and use Wax/Grease remover for the glue. Get it all clean and apply the Dynomat?

Whats the purpose of it?

integraz
07-05-2007, 11:06 AM
purpose of that plastic, is prevent rain water from entering/ moisture from entering the trim, clean it up with wax/grease remover, put on the dynamat, and the dynamat will act as that plastic to protect trim, if u cover up all the service holes etc.