PDA

View Full Version : [Helpz] Oil Leak... ?~?~?

AsH_
25-04-2007, 03:48 PM
ive always been wondering why i have oil and greasy crap under my dizzy... and solenoid...

ppl say its a common thing and not to really worry... (B16A)

but i was looking at it today and all the little connectors there are covered in greasy crap... theres so many things in the way i cant get a good look...

and its looks like its leaked a bit more... down the block... not a bad leak...
goes down over the engine stamp... i wiped it all up...

not sure if a seal has leaked at all...

the guy who had the car b4 me, said once the seal from the dizzy corroded and oil from the cams leaked into his dizzy and fried everything... since then it was all fixed...

i dont know if this is a problem but i looked at my dizzy and i noticed its missing the bottom screw...

has anyone had this problem with this kind of leak of oil ???

ill post some pics sometime soon... jsut a bit busy as of late...

also can this leak be the cause for my vtec not to work either???

feedback will be gravely appreciated...

creativepunka
25-04-2007, 04:04 PM
Probably the Dizzy oring dude

Drew
25-04-2007, 05:26 PM
Distributor seal for sure

It's pretty common to be honest with you, we probably get half a dozen cars each week with that problem -_-

About $60 to change the seal

panda[cRx]
25-04-2007, 05:34 PM
u'd be lucky to get anything changed for $60 in most workshops lol

but yeah as stated about it's pretty common for dizzys to go like that

kyle
25-04-2007, 06:52 PM
I had the same problem on my old coupe. Turned out to be my cam seal. Very easy fix.

The oil leaks down, past the dizzy, then between the gap between the head and the block, and then down engine stamp and to the sump. LOL

at first i though it was my head gasket, but turnsout it's not. If not Cam seal, then definatly dizzy o-ring.

bennjamin
25-04-2007, 06:54 PM
;1146151']u'd be lucky to get anything changed for $60 in most workshops lol

but yeah as stated about it's pretty common for dizzys to go like that

yup the seal is a small rubber O ring , about $25 last time i got one from honda. + labour to remove 3 bolts and then put the seal on , then reinstall.
Like all rubber seals in the upper head , It changes size due to age/heat and oil seeps past it.

AsH_
25-04-2007, 06:57 PM
i'd pay $60...

less is better of course...

is it a problem that should be fixed quickly ??? as in will it cause damage...

but the thing is im missing a screw from the bottom of my dizzy...this must be causing the leak perhaps???

Drew
25-04-2007, 06:58 PM
Could do, but some what unlikely in the immediate future

kyle
25-04-2007, 07:10 PM
but the thing is im missing a screw from the bottom of my dizzy...this must be causing the leak perhaps???

This could most definatly cause your leak. If the bottom one isn't there the dizzy face wont be sitting flush to the side of the head, and the ring may be on an angle letting oil seep down underneath it, past it.

AsH_
25-04-2007, 07:15 PM
i have no idea where it went.. i never touched it...

i never noticed it...

kyle
25-04-2007, 07:16 PM
is it the screw off the black cap? or is it the bold that conects the dizzy to the head?

bennjamin
25-04-2007, 07:30 PM
is it the screw off the black cap? or is it the bold that conects the dizzy to the head?

my guess is its the bolt that holds the dizzy to the side of the head ( 3 in total) . Its lazy mechanics that leave it off. Ive seen most hondas with only 1 or 2 bolts in total - never seen oil loss due to "slight angle" tho.
Its simple enough to replace the rubber O ring , and find a bolts to fit the bottom for piece of mind.

AsH_
25-04-2007, 07:47 PM
its the bolt from the dizzy to the head...

i did change the cap last month but that hasnt caused any trouble...

just weird where the oil is coming from???

wat about the head gasket ???

kyle
25-04-2007, 07:52 PM
i doubt its the head gasket, Id put my money on the missing bolt, my second bet would be on the dizzy o-ring, and Id go for the trifecter with the cam seal.

bennjamin
25-04-2007, 07:53 PM
its the bolt from the dizzy to the head...

i did change the cap last month but that hasnt caused any trouble...

just weird where the oil is coming from???

wat about the head gasket ???

headgasket is located a good 10cm below where you say the leak is coming from.
The leak is likely either the EXHAUST cam seal or the dizzy grommet.
Do us a favour and take a picture , OR sray abit or degeaser on the area to clean it off , and check the same area in a few days and it should highlight where the oil is coming from.

AsH_
25-04-2007, 08:16 PM
im at work now, so i cant take a pic but ill be sure to 2moro...