PDA

View Full Version : B Series - Distributor Wiring

dsp26
26-04-2007, 02:12 PM
Firstly, i'm no n00b and know what i'm doing so don't tell me not to touch it, just haven't had the time to really look considering all the recent raining here in Sydney going on.

Now what i will be doing is replacing the dizzy cap on the B16A2 with a modified one for external coil.. all of which i have.

There are 2 plugs that plug into the distributor, i'm pretty sure it's the 2 wire harness i need to splice..

I'm also pretty sure one wire is black which is most likely the negative so am i safe to assume that the other is obviously +ve despite the wire colour?

I've done the same thing to an SR20 using an LX91 Crane Cams coil, luckily at the time we had readily available wiring/electrical diagrams which made this a non issue. I just don't want to use a multimeter on the ignition system to find out the hard way...

Thanks in advance!!!! :thumbsup:

PS... the proposed setup for the ignition system is as follows:
- new leads
- new iridium plugs to be gapped 1.8mm
- External coil distributor cap
- MSD SS Blaster coil...

Search Keywords: Distributor, Dizzy, Wiring, Ignition Coil, Ignition Module, ICM

Related thread: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66559

JasonGilholme
26-04-2007, 02:38 PM
Don't touch it :P (couldn't resist)

I have seen a DIY on ozhonda about using a F or H series dizzy on the b series motor which has the provision for an external coil. I also believe it had some detailed info about wiring and what colours were what which might be usefull seein as though you've already got the dizzy cap/external coil deal sorted.

Hope this info helps ya.

Question: why?

XB-16-AX
26-04-2007, 03:27 PM
what about using the MSD Dizzy cap (red see through) which already has the extra point for the ext. coil ..???? is this safe to use? rather than modifying one to suit..?

CRXer
26-04-2007, 03:27 PM
Dizzy is grounded thru the cylinder head

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/CRXer/IMG_1370_1_1.jpg

dsp26
26-04-2007, 03:30 PM

I have seen a DIY on ozhonda about using a F or H series dizzy on the b series motor which has the provision for an external coil. I also believe it had some detailed info about wiring and what colours were what which might be usefull seein as though you've already got the dizzy cap/external coil deal sorted.

Hope this info helps ya.

Thanks mate.. will look for it then.

Reason for the upgrade is more based on previous dyno proven results on an SR20 where increasing the spark power in the combustion chamber combined with slightly raised fuel pressure resulted in around ~4wkw gain on the same dyno.

I'll admit i obviously don't know the outcome on a B series... motivation to try this out was more on floating speculation from various honda forums that the built in coil was "weak" therefore saw room to try for an improvement/gain....

Also, despite having already installed an AFPR, based on Johnny VTECs observations in his thread in all motor... the factory 38psi fuel pressure does run the car too rich. There is opportunity here then to spark up the unburnt fuel to increase torque.

The BKR6 series iridium plugs run a factory 1.1mm gap, i have succesfully tested them with the LX91 crane coil to run 1.5mm gap without misfire throughout the rev range...

Also as an added benefit, the exhaust system going into the car will have a hi flow metallic cat that will be heat wrapped. This is an underestimated mod... a catalyst is supopsed to clean exhaust including unburnt fuels... if the car is running rich, and cat can run hot enough, it will burn any rich unburnt fuel in the exhaust system... this serves not to increase power directly, but to increase scavenging effect on the exhaust system resulting in pwoer gain. This is also why gains are more seen in turbo cars as they generally run rich from factory as a safety.. at least this way it won't damage the engine as it won't be igniting there...

dsp26
26-04-2007, 03:31 PM
what about using the MSD Dizzy cap (red see through) which already has the extra point for the ext. coil ..???? is this safe to use? rather than modifying one to suit..?

yeah mate thats what i have though my cap isn't red...

my question was more in regards to the power wires that run the internal coil...

because i won't be using the internal one, i need to splice that plug to the external coil...

dsp26
26-04-2007, 03:33 PM
Dizzy is grounded thru the cylinder head

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g268/CRXer/IMG_1370_1_1.jpg

can't see the pic but i'm sure it helps by what you said. i'll check again at home. thanks mate....

JasonGilholme
26-04-2007, 03:36 PM
yeah its a real good pic actually

(right click > save as material right there :thumbsup:)

XB-16-AX
26-04-2007, 04:26 PM
im currently doing this to my B16A, the good thing is th ecu loom im using was previously setup for the same engine so all the plugs are still there,

if i have time when i get home, ill have a look at the loom to the dizzy for ya, from memory i think its only 3-4wires that is required this is including the power,gnd, sensor, and something else...

ill even take a pic for ya.

ECU-MAN
26-04-2007, 07:31 PM

Hope this info helps ya.

not the dizzy but just the dizzy cap

there is a DIY in the DIY section that may help.

ECU-MAN
26-04-2007, 07:41 PM
yeah mate thats what i have though my cap isn't red...

my question was more in regards to the power wires that run the internal coil...

because i won't be using the internal one, i need to splice that plug to the external coil...

take them directly from the internal coil wires, the blk/yel is the IGN 12V ( + ) side of coil, the white wire is the ( - ) side of the coil driven from the internal ICM.

hope the stock ICM can drive the MSD Coil.

dsp26
27-04-2007, 09:33 PM
take them directly from the internal coil wires, the blk/yel is the IGN 12V ( + ) side of coil, the white wire is the ( - ) side of the coil driven from the internal ICM.

hope the stock ICM can drive the MSD Coil.

what did you mean by take them directly from the internal coil wires? Did you mean cut it off and re-route it entirely to the external coil? or i can just splice it and leave it connected? i'm guessing the former as the latter doesn't sound logical to me...

and with the white wire, which one? there are 2 and they are both on the bigger harness according to the picture posted above..

ECU-MAN
27-04-2007, 09:58 PM
if you want to run an external coil using the internal honda ICM you have to run wires from the two wires that went to the internal coil to the external coil.

you wont find the negative coil wire on the outside of the distributor.

http://b16a2.kicks-ass.net/diy/msd/B16A2-MSD009.jpg

have you looked through this thread ??

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49899

dsp26
27-04-2007, 10:52 PM
^^i have now... thanks.. duno why i didn't think to check that section.

everything makes perfect sense now. Also explains why the non-oem dizzy cap that came with the kit had the nipple in the icm wiring area.

i'd love to give you another rep point but i get that share the love around message....

dsp26
28-04-2007, 03:43 PM
Installed this today thanks to ecu-mans DIY... what a breeze apart from working in the rain slowing me down.

Noticeably more responsive... but haven't given it a full fang to realise the benefits i'm hoping for...

on a Negative note, the MSD Blaster SS Coil is ****ing weaksauce!!!! i had random misfires on load with 1.5mm iridium plug gap... runs perfect on 1.3mm though...

gonna do some more testing after lunch....

A-man
01-06-2008, 04:48 PM
whats the verdict????

what about the ballast resistor

im doing this atm

will i need one?

dsp26
02-06-2008, 01:10 AM
whats the verdict????

what about the ballast resistor

im doing this atm

will i need one?

forgot about this thread as i had posted the results elsewhere.

blaster ss is weak... replaced it with Crane Cams LX91 Fireball... i'm currently running it at around 1.7mm... from memory it had random misfires at 2mm...

Limbo
03-06-2008, 10:41 PM
cool dude, can you tell me where you got the Crane Cams?
I'm looking at getting an external coil also

dsp26
03-06-2008, 10:46 PM
cool dude, can you tell me where you got the Crane Cams?
I'm looking at getting an external coil also

got mine from here:
http://www.gccorp.com.au/automotive/product_info.php?cPath=22_80_85&products_id=167

you may want to check out his iridium plug range too as he's one of only a few stores i know that sell the different heat ranges as well as Iriways and Iritops :thumbsup:

If you have or plan to get any form of CDI ignition ask the store for the LX92 instead...

Limbo
03-06-2008, 10:50 PM
nah couldn't be bothered getting the CDI, just wanted abit more sparkage to see for myself if it would improve the car.

A-man
03-06-2008, 11:13 PM
yeh i did mine dont put a ballast resistor in either...

im happy with the msd coil....

i guess its just good batchs and bad batchs

dsp26
03-06-2008, 11:17 PM
nah couldn't be bothered getting the CDI, just wanted abit more sparkage to see for myself if it would improve the car.

your boosted tho? i wouldn't chase poofteenths of a kw if i was you unless your dyno shows ignition breakdown at high rpm...

Limbo
03-06-2008, 11:23 PM
was just looking are getting it to improve economy, not more power. Heard that the MSD with better sparkage could help improve economy
I can't get power to the ground as it is atm, so more power isn't gonna help until i fix that first ;)

dsp26
03-06-2008, 11:26 PM
was just looking are getting it to improve economy, not more power. Heard that the MSD with better sparkage could help improve economy
I can't get power to the ground as it is atm, so more power isn't gonna help until i fix that first ;)

fair enough, but i'm sure thats where CDI exels in though as it aims for more complete burns at lower rpm due to multi spark.....

i can't really comment on economy improvements with bigger coil and spark gap coz i'm getting 300km/40l atm with a gay rom :/

Limbo
10-06-2008, 12:15 AM
lol atm i am getting 8ltr/100km so its not bad.
Yeah was thinking complete burn would be better with better spark. Dun wanna bother with the multi spark as its more work than i could be bothered with.

dsp26
10-06-2008, 12:46 AM
lol atm i am getting 8ltr/100km so its not bad.
Yeah was thinking complete burn would be better with better spark. Dun wanna bother with the multi spark as its more work than i could be bothered with.

bro... 500km/40l is ****ing awesome for a boosted setup... you don't need the coil trust me, but if u decide to get it anyway and need a hand PM me :)

i only just started getting 450km/42l (9.3l/100km) after using stock ecu again and i'm not boosted....