PDA

View Full Version : some stuff to do on my civic..

steve88
26-04-2007, 08:15 PM
hey guys my ek civic is having some noises in the gears while in motion (but silent while gear is being changed and clutch is in), a kinda grinding noise sounds like bearings (i am thinking perhaps thrust bearings?) alot of mechanics have told me too try changing gearbox oil first.
how exactlys this done? i know its under a box or something under the car but couldnt find anything on ozhonda, plenty on google tho. surely they're totally different? i havent had the chance too pull my car apart yet.

my clutch also makes a squeeking noise when pressed but stops when car is warmed up, i know something must need lubricating or something.. what exactly should i look out for?

i also need to change power steering fluid but i saw the DIY here

and i also gotta change the fuel sensor in my fuel tank because the red low fuel light never comes on, i dont think its the globe. now from memory you remove back seats and then ?

[ricer]
26-04-2007, 08:26 PM
spigot bearing needs changing?

spray some spray grease in the rubber grommet on ur gear box for the squeaky clutch noise.

follow the benjamins DIY for power steering

chunky
26-04-2007, 08:30 PM
this is for the power steering
http://www.swedishbricks.net/700900FAQ/Steering1.html
its got laods of other stuff on there about steering and stuff

[ricer]
26-04-2007, 08:34 PM
man chunky u've become so helpful hahaha

steve88
26-04-2007, 08:45 PM
stupid question but i dont even know which is the gearbox under my car, and when you say rubber grommet i dont know where too look. is it in the block?
ive never really touched tranny ever, everything else ive seen my mate pull apart when he rebuilt his trx

[ricer]
26-04-2007, 08:58 PM
hrrrm at the front of the block where it says D16y4
just under or beside it is a like black square rubber thing
poke the middle of that... should have like a slit... spray some spray grease into that.. not too much though.. 2 or 3 quick squirts is enough

bennjamin
26-04-2007, 11:00 PM
hey guys my ek civic is having some noises in the gears while in motion (but silent while gear is being changed and clutch is in), a kinda grinding noise sounds like bearings (i am thinking perhaps thrust bearings?) alot of mechanics have told me too try changing gearbox oil first.
how exactlys this done? i know its under a box or something under the car but couldnt find anything on ozhonda, plenty on google tho. surely they're totally different? i havent had the chance too pull my car apart yet.

my clutch also makes a squeeking noise when pressed but stops when car is warmed up, i know something must need lubricating or something.. what exactly should i look out for?

i also need to change power steering fluid but i saw the DIY here

and i also gotta change the fuel sensor in my fuel tank because the red low fuel light never comes on, i dont think its the globe. now from memory you remove back seats and then ?

HERE is how to change gearbox oil
Try it out first and see if it helps.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35408&highlight=gearbox+oil

The clutch nise you hear , is from the RELEASE /THRUST bearing. It is under lubricated , and when cold etc makes that screech noise. You can temporarily spray some grease or WD40 into the slave clyinder housing (onto the bearing) to shut it up. Otherwise just repalce it when you replace your clutch next.
Lastly ,
to access the fuel sender unit , pull out both your rear seats and the fuel tank cover will stare you in the face.
Take off the cover with a philips head screwdriver ( about 6-8 screws) and there will be two clips - one is the sender and one is the power to the fuel pump. Check both are firmly clipped on -

steve88
27-04-2007, 12:03 AM
its not really a screeching or high pitched, its a grinding.. its not high pitched. its evident on higher revs on first gear (if i change the gear slowly/plenty of gas) , and becomes less and less audiable on higher gears (almost unhearable on 3rd/4th). but one thing that does match what you say is warmth, i think duration of how long my car has been on does vary the grinding noise frequency.

still should try it u reckon?>

vinnY
27-04-2007, 03:19 AM
i've got a similar sound going on in my b16 gearbox, would i be able to do the same thing?

also the rubber boot, is it the boot thats covering the slave cylinder?
so i just spray some wd40 into the gap that connects to the gearbox(literally into the gearbox)?
will also be changing tranny fluid tomorrow too so i'll let you know how it goes steve88

i'll also throw a few pics up of where to spray if you're confused steve88(that is, if someone can answer my questions above)

mugen24
27-04-2007, 11:58 AM
for mine, also can not change the gear very smoothly. to help this, my mcech clean the gearbox for me and put into the realy expense redline gear oil. now it's still not like that good and smooth. do i have to use the OEM oil??

steve88
28-04-2007, 11:40 AM
i took a video so u can hear the noise (its hard cause you can only really hear it driving) but the exhaust is so freakin loud u can barely hear it lol. (ill upload it later and try and edit out a good bit where the sounds obvious)

one decent observation i made yesterday, if i start the car in neutral u can hear a very very quiet grinding noise but its almost inaudible, then if i press clutch in it stops, engage gear still stops but then if i start driving in that gear you still cant hear it then it kicks in at higher revs really loud on first and gets quieter on higher gears.

there are times (and not when the car is warm, random) that it wont kick in at ALL (rarely though, almost has phases when it does this). although this hasnt happend for awhile, awhile ago i remember if i changed gears with plenty of gas and slowly it wouldnt do it (but this might again be a fluke).

Benson
28-04-2007, 05:58 PM
Sounds like gearbox bearings has let go.

Best and easy way to fix is change the gearbox or re-conditioned it

mugen24
28-04-2007, 08:51 PM
change the hearbox? r u seriously?

90LAN
28-04-2007, 08:59 PM
input shaft bearing

shadou
29-04-2007, 01:08 AM
^ 2nd that, if it's audible with clutch out chances are it's input shaft bearing $$$ to replace as it's take out gearbox rip it apart and replace bearing. You can also here it slightly in gear with clutch out also, well in my experience but faint over road noise and the likes.