PDA

View Full Version : Used Civic v New Hyundai. Any contest?

turkeywing
11-10-2003, 10:01 AM
This post in another forum has now got me thinking ...

cheers
TurkeyWing

[snip]

Joe Buck writes:

I would really like a Honda but it's getting hard to justify spending:

$10K-$12K on a 10 year old Civic with 130,000kms on the clock when I can buy a brand new Hyundai Getz for $13,500 with 5 year warranty with similar features to the Civic (actually the Hyundai has stuff like airbags the used Civic wont have).

I just love the way the Civics drive. Revvy engines and sporty handling.

But then again I've never driven a Hyundai.

What to do? Hmm ...

[snip]

crx2gen
11-10-2003, 10:05 AM
Although it would be hard to go against the honda, the koreans have been improving in leaps and bounds, especially in the last couple of years. Although the honda will crap all over the Getz in performance areas (and looks, i might add) the Getz offers it all in a new package with a warranty.

I guess it would depend on what you wanted to do with the car after 3 years, 5 years, whatever. However, the Civic has already done the majority of its depreciating, so it wouldn't surprise me that the Getz would be worth less 2nd hand after 3 years or so.

wynode
11-10-2003, 10:08 AM
What is attractive about the Hyundai is the warranty and knowing that you won't have to spend money on the car fixing it up for the next 5 years.

However, there is a reason the Hyundai is cheap, and a reason the Honda is expensive (in terms of second hand value). It all basically comes down to build quality. I haven't been in the Getz myself, but Excels and Accents are not built as solidly as a civic. Civics have quality parts the last long if maintainted properly, as opposed to a Hyundai which after a few years will start falling apart and little things like rattles and squeeks will become apparent.

At the end of the day, there is a reason Honda's have a good second hand value and that is because they are built well and the quality of parts is good.

Its upto you which one you choose, but price is always a rough indicator.

7th Gen
11-10-2003, 10:15 AM
the hardcore element in me say go the hondas all the way, yes the build quality is so much better etc

putting my safety hat on however- remember, newer cars (generally) have better crash protection, airbags, crumple zones etc. might be useful, are you an experienced driver or a newbie? you are probably more likely to survive a crash in a newer car than an older car - no matter how good a driver you (think) you are

wynode
11-10-2003, 10:20 AM
But that all depends on the safety of the Getz. Have you read the crash reports?

You can't just generalise that a newer car is safer than an older car. Especially when the newer car is a cheap sub 15K car.

A'PEXi
11-10-2003, 02:41 PM
I agree with Wyn on the good build quality, there is only one thing which honda have saved money on and thats the spare wheel... sure its cheaper, more fuel efficent (less weight) to have a defectable spare tyre... but its totally unsafe.... can cause faulty speedo readings, larger stopping distances to usual etc... it can be easily solved with a replacement though :) not sure on the hyundai....

7th Gen
11-10-2003, 03:56 PM
the only testing i have seen for getz is this one:

http://www.australiasbestcars.com.au/2002/2002_smallcars.pdf

notice it only scores a '3' for safety
there seems to be no published ANCAP results for it yet

Rufes1
11-10-2003, 04:06 PM
The only attractive thing with the getz is the 5 year warranty. You would have to spend SOME money on the civic in those 5 years. However the civic would kill the getz in any race and do you really want to be seen driving around in a Hyundai? I sure as hell wouldnt :lol:

7th Gen
11-10-2003, 04:14 PM
But that all depends on the safety of the Getz. Have you read the crash reports?

You can't just generalise that a newer car is safer than an older car. Especially when the newer car is a cheap sub 15K car.

i hear you wynode, hence why i put 'generally' in brackets in my initial post

but would you agree with me that newer cars have a lot more features such as airbags, all wheel disc brakes, ABS, deformable energy absorbing structures ('crumple zones') etc (i can go on). is it fair then to say that these cars with these features are safer than cars without these features?

i agree at the low end of the market you are not going to get these things, i mean even our beloved civic (Cxi) still had drums on the rear up till 99. even the early 7th gens had no ABS. why did honda change the specs? market perception - safety sells? (also cheaper to source from thailand, load all the fruit in it - ooooh 14' alloys etc)

anyway, back to the point of the thread - it all depends on where your priorities lie - driving pleasure, safety, reliability - or others. if you want a bit of fun, go the 2nd hand honda. great quality, plenty of parts and you can get to come on forums like this :lol: :lol: . on the other hand if you want a brand new car and just love the smell of artificial upholstery, go the getz. relatively hassle free, and if you do get into any strife, you are protected by new car warranty.

toE
11-10-2003, 04:30 PM
There are always risks and major decisions involved when purchasing a car. Especially since u're deciding between a new car and a used car.

I personally wouldn't buy a new car due to the depreciation fact...u lose more as the car ages. I'd rather spend what the car has depreciated to and lose less.

But as far as build goes, well, Hondas have been known to last long (if maintained), whereas Hyundai's they're younger than Hondas, hence making them "less experienced". Also, Hondas resale values far exceed the Hyundais. So..something to think about too!

Basically, if you're worried of forking out repairs over the next 3/5 yrs, then the wise thing would b to go the Hyundai. But if you're not fussed or worried and want a better daily driver, then go the Civic. But if all cars are maintained faithfully and driven sensibly, I don't see how a car can break down. Thin line, I know, but still...feasible!!

My 2c.

[[d a n n y]]
11-10-2003, 09:03 PM
that's right we koreans r mad at making carz now.. :evil:

we r the best i give u warrant and shit like that... :)

but then again i wouldnt trade my car for my country car though..

i just love the honda's

mo
11-10-2003, 09:20 PM
hahaha u traitor danny!!! :lol:

Weq
12-10-2003, 11:54 AM
No way in hell..

fueltank
13-10-2003, 11:46 AM
Really depends on the condition the civic you have found.
Can you afford for anything to go wrong with the civic?

How is insurance on both cars?

I've driven an auto getz and it's quite punchy.

Only civic I've driven is a EK4.

My advice is take both for a drive and take it from there.

VTEChnique
13-10-2003, 01:18 PM
Dont get fooled by marketing !!

Hyundai sells their Accent and Getz at almost cost price and roll it out with a 5yr warranty for a reason...

their service costs are quite high compared to like Nissan or Toyota and this is how they make their money.. so yes it has a 5year warranty, but you'll NEED it !!! while they pay for anything that wears out, you still pay the service fee... DOH!!

the other things to remember... you cant modify much to the car without voiding the warranty.. so after 6 months you get bored with the soft suspension and 14" wheels and the 1.75" exhaust, if you upgrade any of these items, you are putting your warranty at risk... wait for 5 years to modify your Hyundai and it will be too worn-out to tweak.

and also after 5 years of racing a Hyundai on the streets - what conditon do you expect the car to be in.. it would be worth like $5,000 if THAT in 5 years.

besides the above - it's a Hyundai.. IMO you should be barred from this forum if you buy a Huyndai HAHAHHAHAA !!

Weq
13-10-2003, 01:40 PM
I agree. Its cheap korean crap for a reason... its crap... basically i could go on all day about why not to get one, save me the pain pls :)

fueltank
13-10-2003, 04:32 PM
I agree. Its cheap korean crap for a reason... its crap... basically i could go on all day about why not to get one, save me the pain pls :)

so are you basing your opinion on 1st hand experience?
have you driven or been in a Getz?

bennjamin
13-10-2003, 04:39 PM
ive owned 2 Hyundais...unfortunatley both inherited from my mother...

I destryed one on the Old road about 5 years ago...i was doing it a favour tho - biggest piece of shoddy shit ive ever driven.

The latter but, a 2001 Elantra...was actually a bloody good car. Full options etc...but abit of a slug to drive - didnt like taking a 90k corner at 90 k LOL....rolled side to side like a boat at sea.

Hyundais are getting better- methinks another car company might be in on them to start making decent quality.

I wouldnt say no to a NEW hyundai ! Just after 3 years , throw it away ! 8)

LatinoHatchCrap
13-10-2003, 06:32 PM
they're not crap and remember that honda was once considered as dodgy *Jap* brand 20-25 years ago...im sure hyundai will get there one day as long as they keep pushing the technology of their cars further...one thing to notice about hyundais is that all the tech in korean cars is taken from jap techno :?

7th Gen
13-10-2003, 06:42 PM
they're not crap and remember that honda was once considered as dodgy *Jap* brand 20-25 years ago...im sure hyundai will get there one day as long as they keep pushing the technology of their cars further...one thing to notice about hyundais is that all the tech in korean cars is taken from jap techno :?

yep you're right, mitsubishi has a significant shareholding, most of the shared stuff is engine tech

proton satria GTi (malaysia) is also very mitsu reliant - well the old ones were......

AP1 F20c
13-10-2003, 06:57 PM
Go with the Honda, there's no comparisons IMO. :roll:

Weq
13-10-2003, 08:42 PM
I have had plenty of experiences with korean built cars, unfortunatly. Proton are another example of old technology making a rebirth. They are simply old mistubishi designs rehashed, using old ENGINES and components of mistu's from a bygone era (the technology was old when mistubishi used it also!). My gf has maylay relivitives and they will tell u the horrow storys, dont worry bout that..

But remmber this is just my humble advice, take it as a grain of salt if u will.

7th Gen
13-10-2003, 08:49 PM
not to play devil's advocate, but does anyone think anything good has come from a korean manufacturer?

the mag reviews tend to say that the current tiburon coupe is a good thing. nice shape and the engine is a bit of a goer

when the grandeur (luxo car) came out a few years back it was dubbed 'falcon killer' (ha!), but i think the focus was too narrow, overpriced and of course you have to overcome the aussie rear-wheel drive fanaticism...........

although hyundai are thinking of launching a lexus style line up, so that may throw up something interesting.............

Setanta
14-10-2003, 12:11 AM
LOL at this question - soes it really have to be answered? :P

Go look at resale prices on a Excel (entry level Hyundai) compared to a Civic (entry level Honda until the Jazz came out) from the same year. Look at which costs more to buy. Then ask yourself WHY this is the case? ;)

fueltank
14-10-2003, 10:22 AM
turkeywing, go take a getz for a test drive and re-evaluate it after you've driven it.

it's very obvious you're gonna get a biased opinion asking on any 'one brand' forum :lol:

jeffske
15-04-2007, 09:31 PM
time to revive this thread, 4 yrs ago is a long time. has anyones opinion on the Hyundai brand changed?
I'm after a Tiburon
http://www.motorauthority.com/wp-content/uploads/Hyundai/Tiburon/2007tiburon.jpg

Drew
15-04-2007, 10:17 PM
The new more top of the line Hyundai's are acceptable

Still not on par with the current Japanese lineup but a huge improvement on the cars they made only a few years ago...

Kia and Daewoo are still at an all time low

Hyundai is really the only major Korean manufacturer who has even so much as attempted to make something that might just pass as a car

However I would still take a late model used Honda over a brand new Hyundai

But if you must have a brand new car and you cant live with something thats maybe 2-3 years old then go for it...

Like I said Hyundai are better than they used to be

Hell I even considered at one stage buying one of those Hyundai SUV's

jeffske
15-04-2007, 10:27 PM
The new more top of the line Hyundai's are acceptable

Still not on par with the current Japanese lineup but a huge improvement on the cars they made only a few years ago...

Kia and Daewoo are still at an all time low

Hyundai is really the only major Korean manufacturer who has even so much as attempted to make something that might just pass as a car

However I would still take a late model used Honda over a brand new Hyundai

But if you must have a brand new car and you cant live with something thats maybe 2-3 years old then go for it...

Like I said Hyundai are better than they used to be

Hell I even considered at one stage buying one of those Hyundai SUV's

Daewoo is no longer Korean, they went into receivership I believe and GM purchased them. They might be still made in korea, along with a handful of "holden" cars but I dont think they have any input into the production anymore

Drew
15-04-2007, 11:01 PM
Made in Korea = Korean

Holden's are poo poo cars... Only the Australian built stuff is really worthwhile if you are that way inclined

Seriously have you ever driven a Holden Combo or an Astra? Jesus ****ing christ they suck... a 1999 Astra's engine is so crap and noisy it's like driving something made in the the early 80's

Given the Vectras aren't all that bad but the interior is made from the same plastic they use to make Lego

At the end of the day it's the same shit, different hole

defect
15-04-2007, 11:54 PM
Honda FTW!! no doubt abt it.
I havent driven a Getz, but anything thats 13k brand new is crap.
hehehehe...

sorry im a Honda person..

JamB
16-04-2007, 12:25 AM
i drove an automatic getz .. i seriously couldnt tell if i was accelerating so i checked if i was in [D] so i put the pedal to the metal and felt alittle movement

Vinnie
16-04-2007, 01:29 AM
imo hyundais are fine if ur not a purist and jus want basic transport and do not intend to keep it any more than 5 years. after that the cheaper build quaility will start to come back to get you.

xtc_romeo
16-04-2007, 02:02 AM
you think i let ya roll around in a hyundai?

nvmee
16-04-2007, 02:11 AM
i drove an automatic getz .. i seriously couldnt tell if i was accelerating so i checked if i was in [D] so i put the pedal to the metal and felt alittle movement

this goes for the echo as well :/ and non vtec civics too ... i had to recheck if my food was on the pedal for the echo :/ and as for the civic its nto as bad, but the interior is WAYYYYYY SHITTER than astras/ any holdemns in general.

civics = piece of shit interiors. end of fcking story. and godam those space saving tyres too

dupac->
16-04-2007, 09:16 AM
i got a gli 96' with 240 000kms on it. still runs like a dream not one wierd noise from the motor and most other parts are in tact aswell. lets see a hyundai getz do that after the 5 years warranty is up.

BOO to sub 15k new cars.. all end up to be nuggets.

dupac->
16-04-2007, 09:25 AM
compare that Hyundai Getz to a Toyota Corolla at same value i would take the corolla!

compare the Hyundai Getz, to a BMX.. ill take the BMX!

comparing it to a honda or any other brand i would not spend 13kon a new hyundai..

ek4's are goin or around that much buy them!

jeffske
16-04-2007, 09:41 AM
compare that Hyundai Getz to a Toyota Corolla at same value i would take the corolla!

compare the Hyundai Getz, to a BMX.. ill take the BMX!

comparing it to a honda or any other brand i would not spend 13kon a new hyundai..

ek4's are goin or around that much buy them!

an entry level Getz = $13k
an entry level Corolla = $20k
they're not the same value, so you should be comparing the corolla against the elantra

Zdster
16-04-2007, 10:27 AM
Seriously have you ever driven a Holden Combo or an Astra? Jesus ****ing christ they suck... a 1999 Astra's engine is so crap and noisy it's like driving something made in the the early 80's

Off topic:
I strongly disgree with this comment. A family member has a late 99, early 00 astra and it is a pleasure to drive. No road noise and a pretty decent engine (for what it is).

and as for the civic its nto as bad, but the interior is WAYYYYYY SHITTER than astras/ any holdemns in general.

civics = piece of shit interiors. end of fcking story. and godam those space saving tyres too

What civic's are you referring to? The ek and eg interiors have both dated, but lets not forget that the ek interior was in production well over 10 years ago. I agree that the space saving wheel is a pain, but how often have you ever used one (never? once?)?

dupac->
16-04-2007, 03:39 PM
an entry level Getz = $13k
an entry level Corolla = $20k
they're not the same value, so you should be comparing the corolla against the elantra

well whats the "entry level" of the BMX then?

haha

screw that entry level shiet..

what my choice would be id go older corolla thats around 13k over the hyundai getz. i could prb get a 98/99/00 model for 13k? but yeah.

same money value as in 13k
if i had 13k in my pocket.
and had to choose a car i would go corolla/civic/bmx over a getz, whatever the comparison

year model entry level i couldnt give 2 shits about.

that's what i meant.

jeffske
05-06-2007, 08:10 AM
http://www.smh.com.au/news/Business/Hyundai-grabs-lead-in-car-quality-study/2007/06/05/1180809462811.html

s2o0o
05-06-2007, 07:59 PM
**** this.

Pretty sure you can drive away a Jazz GLi if you can't afford a Civic.

That is all.

aimre
05-06-2007, 09:26 PM
You guys r talking as if civcs are fast. There really not