PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox problems. what to do?

Per10d
30-06-2004, 01:07 PM
well what i originally though was the thrust bearing that needed replace, turns out to be the main bearing inside the gearbox. now i'm wondering is it worth pretty much rebuilding the old box with new bearing etc or should i look into getting a second box from the wreckers. which will be a cheaper option?

i've pulled the box out, so i won't have to pay for labour there.

what are your thoughts??

sharik
30-06-2004, 02:24 PM
For what car is it? and
Correct me if im wrong, I thought there were 2 types of bearing its Thrust and Release.

88crx
30-06-2004, 03:02 PM
You should look into getting it rebuilt,
Had the same problem and thought it was the (release/trust) bearing but
ended up being the input shaft bearing :( (bad grinding noise on de-acceleration)

Second hand G/B's can be cheap but you dont know the condition of them
unless you put it on the car or get it looked at by a professional.
And the chances are once it is opened up and looked at something will
be wrong. Mainly the labour that cost :x

I ended up getting a cheap second hand one, and guess what
IT HAD THE SAME DAMMMMM PROBLEM :(

least i got 2 g/b's now incase something else goes wrong in the future.

Per10d
30-06-2004, 05:42 PM
thanks for the info guys...
the car is a eg vti hatch. me and a couple of mates pulled the box out hoping that it was going to be the thrust bearing that was rooted, but when we checked out the old one, its was perfectly fine.
i'm changing the clutch and the thrust bearing anyways, but looks like i'll have to get it reconditioned.

any idea how much places are charging for such a job? or if it is possible to do a DIY job?
me and my mate (rotary mechanic) have a bit of mechanical experiences, but neither have pulled open a box before... :?: :?:

ECU-MAN
01-07-2004, 08:56 PM
there is nuthing to complex about honda manual gearboxes. the most important thing is to get all the clearences spot on. you need a manual to reference all the clearences and the differential preload. change any sus looking part and check your shafts for straightness. you cant go wrong if you follow the book. make sure you replace the items that the service manual recomends, dont try to save money and reuse them. eg bolt lock plates.
I do recomend you have your mate help you though as a non mechanic may get a little confused..

Per10d
02-07-2004, 02:56 PM
sweet, thanks for the info...
we'll be having a go at it tomorrow hopefully.
let you'se know how it goes.

Per10d
07-07-2004, 07:13 PM
well finally got around to pulling apart the gear box with my old man today. turns out to be the mainshaft bearing, on the inputshaft side that was buggered.
the plastic housing for the bearings had broken and hence causing that ugly noise when driving. going tomorrow to get the parts and put the box back together. saturday the box will be going back int othe car finally.

i was wondering if there was any other parts i should look out for to change in the box, now that its out and in pieces.

ECU-MAN
07-07-2004, 10:03 PM
take extra care when looking at all your gears. look for pitted bearing and surfaces and for any discolourisation. check all the teeth of all gears for the same. Pay extra attention to second gear parts.

Per10d
09-07-2004, 05:23 PM
all the gears were in good condition. ended up just changing the mainshaft bearing on the input side... the seal there also, and a few other seals.
all the other bearings were in good conition.
was a bit of a hassle getting the gearbox back together coz we didn't have a book and i took a little time to find what parts go on first and in which order.
couldn't fins a vti civic book anywhere in sydney.