PDA

View Full Version : Oil cooler study, with or without thermostat?

DLO01
28-04-2007, 12:08 PM
Hello fellow Ozhonda'rer's,

The Test:

I wanted to put a study together to discuss the issues in regard to Oil Coolers and specifically having one with a thermostat or not. I wanted to find out how this would effect oil temperatures comparing both methods under normal street driving conditions.

This study was put together after discussions in this thread:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65555

The test was performed on my Naturally Aspirated 99 Integra Type R, Engine B18C7, under Australian weather conditions 23 degrees celcius. Using the same 10 row trust cooler for both tests.

1st for people that don't know. A thermostat is designed in to a oil cooler system for the same reasons as in your water system - to warm up your oil from initial cold start up to operating temperatures. When cold, the thermostat is closed and oil bypasses the cooler element (does not go through cooler element). Once the desired temperature is acheived the thermostat opens and diverts oil through the cooler element and comences cooling.

These are the issues I wanted to have more of an understanding for.
- What are the differences to oil Temps using the two methods?
- Are Temps maintained consistant without a thermostat?

There will be no discussion about if a cooler is reqiured for what car etc, etc. This is just a study on the above issues.

Findings:

With thermostat:
This is my Grex sandwich plate (with thermostat) on my old setup. It was a 2 hose arangement plumbed directly to the Trust 10 row cooler. My temperature sensor was plumbed into the sump.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a265/DLO01/Misc/ResizeofDSC00776.jpg

Result:
With this above setup, under normal diving conditions, on the street, I constantly maintained 80-85 degrees celcius.

__________________________________________________ ______________
Without thermostat:
This is my sexy new setup (thanks Ed (Max-Hondapower) best trader. This is a 3 hose, remote oil filter arangement, using the same Trust 10 row cooler. My temperature sensor is plumbed in to the remote filter mount. Oil flow direction is a folows: Engine to Oil filter to Cooler to engine.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a265/DLO01/Misc/ResizeofIMG_9148.jpg

Result:
With this above setup, under normal diving conditions, on the street, I constantly maintained no less than 80 degress celcius and reached a high of 82.5 degrees celcius.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a265/DLO01/Misc/ResizeofDSC00772.jpg

I found, "the higher end of the Temps were during driving, 82.5 degrees". This is because the engine is 'working' and under load, the oil cooler although is cooling with airflow, is not 'efficent' enough to actually drop the temperature. Its safe to say then, the oil cooler does not cool, but just 'assists in cooling oil'

In turn, "the cooler end of the Temps I found, were at a stand still, 80 degrees". This is because the engine is at Idel and 'not working' not under load. The stock water/oil heat exchanger comes in to play and cools the oil temps more effectivly then if the motor was under load.

Conclusion:

As we can see, the oil temperature 'with' or 'without' a thermostat at normal opperating temperatures is very simular. A 'no thermostat setup' maintains just as much consistency as one that does have a thermostat.

So why have a thermostat?

It is very usefull to getting that oil warm and up to opperating temperature swiftly during cold startup. The thermostat will be closed and will not let the oil pass through the cooler and will alow your oil to warm up.

If you don't have a thermostat?

Like my new setup? Well, it just puts that bit more emphasis on warming your car up before you actually start driving. :(

To finish off. Weather you need a cooler or not, thermostat or not, 20 row, 10 row, its up to you to design your components to suit your cars needs and applications.

The responsibility comes down to you. :thumbsup:

Hope this is as much fun reading these findings as it was for me to put it all together.

Chow for now! :cool:

bennjamin
28-04-2007, 12:36 PM
To finish off. Weather you need a cooler or not, thermostat or not, 20 row, 10 row, its up to you to design your components to suit your cars needs and applications.

It seems much like a radiator - the size dosent effect the efficiency of the engine process. It can be small or big as long as the car is operating under designed circumstances. Its dependent on the thermostat and cooling devices (fan / fan switch etc) themselves.

Great write up

EK4R
28-04-2007, 01:34 PM
could you have a thermo in your new setup also? would that have any affect on temp and cold start ups?

DLO01
28-04-2007, 05:09 PM
could you have a thermo in your new setup also?

No, my new setup does not come with a thermostat. The only way is to make your own arangement.

would that have any affect on temp and cold start ups?

So why have a thermostat?

It is very usefull to getting that oil warm and up to opperating temperature swiftly during cold startup. The thermostat will be closed and will not let the oil pass through the cooler and will alow your oil to warm up.

If you don't have a thermostat?

Like my new setup? Well, it just puts that bit more emphasis on warming your car up before you actually start driving. :(

b20b
28-04-2007, 06:56 PM
i have had both set ups
with and with out thermostat
My oil temps city driving are around 65 c,highway will get down to just read ing on the guage 53c (I think this is because the water temp has been kept very low from the cool air) and when I am at the track will get up to 85 c on a stinking hot summer day with not much down time..this is with a thermostat
When I had no thermostat temps would not read at all on the freeway and get up to 60 c city driving ..never tracked the car engine blew before i could

Just a note my water temps will only get up 90+ c when at the track and might get up there in the city 85c
I have heard the benifits of no thermostat is that residual heat will be removed quicker if your temps have not got up to high to start with...
Like when you are at the drags and you have to push your car to keep the engine bay temps down.NO thermostat will help dissipate this heat better..

i am for the thermostat as it keeps the oil closer to water temps... i found oil was to cold without it

matt
29-04-2007, 02:15 AM
excellent write up :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ALLMTR996
29-04-2007, 09:39 AM
Did you reserch at what temp the oil should run at from the oil company and not what internet clowns say it should be,I know from racing over the years that oil should always run min of 10 degree's hotter than water temp and your engine will make its best power there.82 degress is way to cold for your modern oil to run at on the street it should be 100 degree's for a honda engine to be at its most effecient, so I dont see everyone unless there tracking there car alot needs to run a oil as I know of a DC5R that just run the Bathurst 12hr race with NO OIL COOLER so have really good think before you waste money on this sort of mod.
ALLMTR996

e240
29-04-2007, 10:40 AM
Hello fellow Ozhonda'rer's,

The Test:
:

Where did you take the temp from?

b20b
29-04-2007, 10:45 AM
Without oil cooler ...from my experience...sitting in traffic will see high water temps and fans running contstantly and will take constant movement (80kph) for a while to get those water temps back down

Just popping the bonnet will allow you to feel what your guages are telling you

The drag strip is a great place to prove this
When linning up never turn off your engine your temps will be up

You will be guaranteed to do a shit time

Next time pull the bonnet latch on you way back from your run helps cool the engine...pop the bonnet fullly and let engine cool and push your car for your next run

YOUR TIME WILL BY BETTER

An oil cooler will help in this cooling process

DLO01
29-04-2007, 11:34 AM
Did you reserch at what temp the oil should run at from the oil company and not what internet clowns say it should be,I know from racing over the years that oil should always run min of 10 degree's hotter than water temp and your engine will make its best power there.82 degress is way to cold for your modern oil to run at on the street it should be 100 degree's for a honda engine to be at its most effecient, so I dont see everyone unless there tracking there car alot needs to run a oil as I know of a DC5R that just run the Bathurst 12hr race with NO OIL COOLER so have really good think before you waste money on this sort of mod.
ALLMTR996

Yep, agree with everything you have said. And I also know about that DC5R (thought it was a DC2R) running no oil cooler. I also know that you make more power over 100 degrees than under.

But we wern't going to discuss these things. This was just a test on thermostat or not. Please refer to original post.

Where did you take the temp from?

Please see my original post.
With thermostat - sensor plumbed in to sump
Without thermostat - sensor plumbed in to remote filter mount.

bennjamin
29-04-2007, 12:10 PM
more than anything , a properly working oil cooler would be another link in the chain when it comes to a race cars reliability and longevity.
While its No need for any street or light track car IMO

b20b
29-04-2007, 12:28 PM
i should of stated all my observations have been on a HIGHly modified honda engine. High comp race engine etc...which i used to cruise in sometimes

b20b
29-04-2007, 12:35 PM
From what i under stand (I might be wrong???) is that you might make more power with hot oil but that is the same as running thin oil .You will make more power with thin oil..Hondas love fresh oil...When oil is hot it looses viscosity BAD FOR ENGINE...so is cold oil its to thick...So for highly stressed race engine which will push the oil temps up oil cooler is required to keeps the oil from loosing it s viscosity (and thinning out) and saving your engine

spetz
29-04-2007, 09:59 PM
Nice test

But, what was the ambient temp during testing?
How would a no thermo setup go in winter nights?

And, what oil temp did you get with no cooler at all?

DLO01
30-04-2007, 07:11 AM
Good questions.

But, what was the ambient temp during testing?

23 degrees Celcius

How would a no thermo setup go in winter nights?

Not sure, will find out as winter is aproaching.

And, what oil temp did you get with no cooler at all?

Only slightly higher. Probably like 85-90 degrees celcius, normal street driving.

DLO01
30-04-2007, 07:38 AM
Did you reserch at what temp the oil should run at from the oil company and not what internet clowns say it should be.

I use Royal Purple 10W40

Straight from the horses mouth:
They recomend 'normal' opperating range of 71-116 degrees celcius.
He said although the oil will sustain much higher temperatures, typically maximum temperatures should be maintained between 93-116, by the means of oil coolers etc.

JohnnyVtec
30-04-2007, 10:57 AM
:thumbsup: Great work Deano! *coughs, switch to redline, coughs* :p