PDA

View Full Version : accord V6 & euro 2.4 comparisons

TiaN
28-04-2007, 05:52 PM
Hi all

Just trying to gather as much info as I can now while I have my wrx up on the market to see which one would better suit my family and I. Did a search but gave me non-related posts so I thought I'd post this and see if we can make it a sticky if we get decent info for all to read about

Am a clear fan of the sleek looks and shape of the euro with 2.4 motor BUT would prefer the V6 engine due to the car carrying 4 adults (me, wife and her parents) with possibility of long trips and for ease of overtaking on freeways, etc

I read quite a few posts of another member here unhappy with the performance of the 2.4 in the euro but hey! if you want performance, go buy a turbo'd car..

1 question that's been bugging me is where is the accord and euro's made ? I am under the impression that the euro's are jap made and the accord's are from thailand ? pls correct me if wrong..

now for the fun bit - I work at Toyota so I drive 2.4 lt, 4 cyl camry's just about everyday and also the V6 ones. Would anyone know if the euro 2.4 is on par, bit more or bit less thrilling than the camry equivalent ?

With the accord V6, are they then more similar to the camry V6 motor in terms of the smoothness and pulling power ?

pls note - I have a history of driving turbo'd cars, but I am also a fair person when comparing apples to apples so dont say 'it will never be as fast as a wrx, etc'

any input appreciated! thanks all :thumbsup:

shadou
28-04-2007, 06:15 PM
Euro is made in Japan while the accord is Thailand produced. But the build quality on the V6 is still good I can't pick much wrong with the build quality. I've driven both V6 accord and Euro and love the v6 in the accord it feels great when you plant your foot and sounds impressive

Sensei
28-04-2007, 07:16 PM
^^ what he said. I've had similar experiences, the Euro is nice and spirited to drive but if you're carrying a full load, the V6 Accord doesn't have to work as hard as the Euro to get upto speed. Thai built isn't really an issue and you can't really tell the difference (fit and finish is top notch)

In my perfect world the Euro would have the Accord V6 motor as an option. But if it came down to it, I'd choose the Euro mainly on looks...tis oh so sleek.

I haven't driven any late model Camrys or Aurions so I can't compare the two V6s there but I love the new Aurion Sportivo SX6 or ZR6, seems to be good value for money too.

industrie
28-04-2007, 07:33 PM
The new Aurion would be fantastic as it sits in the price range of the euro luxury, just depends what you prefer. For me personally the Euro 2.4 does fine and its very revvy so i couldnt complain. The euro is a mid size sedan and sportier, where as the the accord V6 would be suited to a family. Honestly the accord V6 would probably be better than the euro for your situation. The best thing is to test drive and get an idea and that way you can make up your mind! good luck!

Merlin086
28-04-2007, 07:56 PM
The euro is definately more of a drivers car in terms of handling and driver enjoyment.
There is only about 2" in width between the Accord and the Euro, similar leg room.
The power (!77kw) and the torque of the V6 is appealing, however with a few hondata mods the power of the V6 is easily achievable from the 2.4L euro.
Having owned both, the euro is a much more pleasing car to drive in a spirited fashion.
If you really enjoy your driving go the euro.

I cart 3 adult sized kids all the time no complaints about the room.
My understanding is the Camry V6 has less kw than the 2.4 euro but more torque.

aaronng
28-04-2007, 08:12 PM
Am a clear fan of the sleek looks and shape of the euro with 2.4 motor BUT would prefer the V6 engine due to the car carrying 4 adults (me, wife and her parents) with possibility of long trips and for ease of overtaking on freeways, etc
Go for the V6 or the 2.4L Thai Accord if you are doing long trips with 4 adults. The Euro's rear seats are a little tight.

now for the fun bit - I work at Toyota so I drive 2.4 lt, 4 cyl camry's just about everyday and also the V6 ones. Would anyone know if the euro 2.4 is on par, bit more or bit less thrilling than the camry equivalent ?
The Camry's 2.4L is more similar to the Thai Accord's 2.4L. The Euro's 2.4L is different and is vastly superior in terms of top end power delivery from 4000 onwards.

With the accord V6, are they then more similar to the camry V6 motor in terms of the smoothness and pulling power ?
No because the Accord V6 pulls at both low and high RPM and doesn't run out of breath compared to the Camry due to the variable valve lift on the intake cam.

BTW, I agree that if you are looking for a car larger than the Euro, it is very difficult to beat the Aurion.

yfin
29-04-2007, 04:55 PM
BTW, I agree that if you are looking for a car larger than the Euro, it is very difficult to beat the Aurion.

It is hard for me to get excited about Australian built Toyotas. I had a girlfriend in the early-mid 1990s with a locally made Corolla and it was a piece of crap. Where the roof meets the windscreen the roof was rusted right through after only 5 years of ownership. Car was no longer road worthy. The boot also had heaps of rust. Mechanic said to me there is no comparison between Jap Toyotas and Oz Toyotas and laughed when I said Toyotas should be better. Hopefully they have improved since then.

TiaN
29-04-2007, 08:02 PM
Thank you all for your input. honestly I'm always hesitant about purchasing Jap cars made outside of Japan due to problems with the quality of the materials used, design flaws, etc..

hence, the camry/ aurion's were automatically out of my list even though the list of features and space of the aurion is VERY impressive! From HID's to push button start, leather, huge space; for the price of the aurion sportivo, I'd put my money on the euro without even thinking.

But alas.. Honda had to make the euro only 2.4lt's and that's where my head's starting to hurt a fair bit as I'm fairly stubborn that my next car has to be a V6 (which is why I've been looking at the accord models) but without testdriving both, a decision simply cannot be made!

I reckon the 2.4 motor would still have a fair bit of go and no doubt better fuel economy than the V6 counterpart, but as said, with a full load and our hot summer's with the a/c on full blast, the V6 would be the clear winner imho.

Also on the topic - while looking thru the cars for sale on carsales.. it seems like the accord V6's seem to go for a fair bit cheaper than an euro with the same year, similar km's and such

say both cars are luxury spec, with about low 20's kms, but the euro would be low to mid 30's but the accord would be in the mid to high 20's ??

why is that so ? is it that the euro's retain the resale value much more or is there something else ?

Zilli
29-04-2007, 08:16 PM
Could be a number of reasons for lower resale mate, a couple come to mind

1) Euro is more popular, better rated by reviewers, as such is in higher demand
2) The stigma attached with the build origination

im sure theres other reasons

i actually have sat in both, but only driven the Euro, the Euro seems to be a much better put together vehicle

just my opinion

panda[cRx]
29-04-2007, 08:44 PM
i'd go for a v6 lux. they're very nice to drive, have satnav standard and look pretty sweet since the update of the rear end a while back

TiaN
30-04-2007, 10:20 PM
Could be a number of reasons for lower resale mate, a couple come to mind

1) Euro is more popular, better rated by reviewers, as such is in higher demand
2) The stigma attached with the build origination

im sure theres other reasons

i actually have sat in both, but only driven the Euro, the Euro seems to be a much better put together vehicle

just my opinion

I tend to agree simply by the fact that the Euro is a japanese built car. same sorta thing when you start looking at camry's, magna's and then jumping into a Nissan Maxima. You can really tell quality apart from the 'wannabe's' :p

I'm sure both cars would fit the bill quite nicely.. guess it comes down to our budget and which car 'feels' better for the whole family and driving situation!

BLKek
03-05-2007, 01:12 PM
From what I understand there has been more design faults on the Euro than the Accord, Dad's V6 is a great car, you're a hardcore picky person if you can really tell much different between the two. I'd pick the Accord over the Euro just for the V6. I also understand the quality control at the Thai plant is very much closley monitored by the Japanese anyways - just like the VW's that come out of South Africa....

The only thing I don't like with either Euro or Accord is the rear seat is too short for me along the bottom, you just don't sink into them well.... Interior wise they're near identical and I also think with the lip kit, lowered suspension and some nice wheels the Accord does look classier....

[edit]

There's 3 things I don't like, the fake woodgrain paneling is ugly, hence dad went for the metalic trim (which is actually a dodgey stick on panel, but look much better than the fake wood). And I'd prefer a White one with black leather, unfortunately it was not an option :(

Pumped
03-05-2007, 01:31 PM
if your going to be carrying four adults id go for the v6, the euro tends to be a bit down on torque when you get a few people in it and id advise against any modifications to the exhaust etc if you did decide the Euro as on a long trip its not the best, gets a little loud

I looked at the both, the euro is a nicer car
but theres not much in it, if the euro had a v6 it would be the winner :-P

Tobster
03-05-2007, 03:08 PM
It may depend a little on whether you want an auto Euro or a manual.

The Euro meant that I didn't have to buy a V6.

I bought mine after having a 3 l V6 (manual) TF Magna (140 kw -- similar to the older 141 kw Camry V6).

I was a bit nervous about going back to a 4 cylinder; I was worried I might find it a bit underpowered. I have no regrets about the purchase. Yes, it has less torque, but the car also revs faster than any other car I've owned.

I find it goes extremely well on the open road. The first time I took it on a long trip with 3 adults on board, I eventually gave up dropping the car into 4th from 6th to overtake and just put it in 5th; it was unnecessary (apart from the joy of just listening to the engine rev) and there were no problems overtaking.

It is a very comfortable long distance car and 6th gear gives great fuel economy -- even with the air con on.

I also think that (despite what others may say) that car has a quite reasonable amount of space in the rear -- compared to many other cars (an opinion backed up by some fairly large blokes who wanted a look at the car and sat in the back when my wife took it work). For the overall size of the car, it has a good sized interior and a good sized boot.

I get 4 cylinder running costs around town for commuting, cheaper rego and something that goes just as well as a V6 on the open road. OK -- it works a bit harder to do it and it may not pick up like a big engine, but overall, the compromise is worth it for what I use.

However, the autos have decidedly less get up and go than the manuals; the manual feels like a small 6 IMO.

I have a towbar -- it's had no problem with half a tonne in the trailer or a pallet of phone books (more like about 7-800 kg).

And it's just a hoot to drive for weekend blats through the hills.

But, it depends how much space and how much grunt you need on a regular basis. For me, in town and on the open road, cars like the Euro meant I didn't need a V6 any more. I should add, however, that I haven't driven the Accord V6.

BLKek
03-05-2007, 10:03 PM
Are the interior dimensions the same, I'm 6'2" and found 3.5 hours sitting in the back of the V6 about all I could take (so I threw dad out and drove it home instead), which was great fun, dad never knew what VTEC was or did, makes me wonder why he actually bought the car - typical old person, bought it because they thought it looked good, LOL.

I heard the US spec Euro, what ever they call it got or was getting the V6 due to popular demand, dunno if they did or not.

aaronng
03-05-2007, 11:39 PM
I heard the US spec Euro, what ever they call it got or was getting the V6 due to popular demand, dunno if they did or not.

No, the TSX never got the V6. There was another Acura, the TL which looked like the Euro, but had the V6. Handling-wise, it is like the V6 Thai Accord with a stiffer suspension.

tron07
27-06-2007, 09:11 AM
So what sort of car you finally get??

For an auto, V6 3.0 would be nice, but I prefer a manual, and the Euro 2.4 is great.

TiaN
27-06-2007, 06:27 PM
nothing yet.. still on the hunt but would be leaning towards the euro for sure! still, will have to test drive both and see which 1 appeals to us most :)

EUR003act
23-07-2007, 07:33 PM
just had my euro dyno'd, 130.9kw atw.... very happy with that... after some more work hoping to have around 150kws... so not too much less than WRX... i have driven canberra to brisbane twice with two adult passengers... very comfy/smooth drive, engine fine for overtaking, but you do have to drop back! fuel wise cruising in 6th gear doing 110 most of the time, got 850km per tank!! hopefully that helps you choose :D

lines
24-07-2007, 04:37 PM
As nice as the Honda's are I'd seriously reconsider your decision against the Aurion Sportivo especially because you do work for Toyota and hence would be eligible for discounts which depending on the number of years working there might be well worth your while. Sell privately every year, update new model and break even if not come out on top.

Otherwise, get the Euro. 4 adults will be fine for room.

mastcell
25-07-2007, 12:15 PM
I think the choice of whether to go with a V6 or a 2.4L comes down to a personal one....To be more blunt (and sorry in advance!!:o), it is more about how much testosterone the driver wishes to show.

Fact is, for daily commuting, any car more than 1L will do the job. How many times are you expected to carry four adults? Have a look around during peak hour traffic and you will see that almost all cars have just the driver. We do not need a 2.4 or V6 to carry around 1.5 tons of metal and 100kg of flesh.

For the occasional time when you really need to carry four passenger, a 2.4, a 1.8 or even a 1.5L will do the job. Example: my 1.5L minicar carried four passengers over a 30km inner city traffic without hassle. One of the passenger even surprised me by saying how 'powerful' and 'how smooth' the ride was.

For Freeway overtaking or highway cruising, virtually all modern car of any capacity above 1.3L will do the job. Another example, i drove the same 1.5L minicar with two on board and a back-load of luggage from Brisbane to Perth without any problem. I just plan ahead and be patient in certain situations. I overtook road trains and other cars just as easily. Why? Because once the car has build up sufficient momentum, overtaking is possible, this is not the same as standing start time.

I know I will probably cop a lot of flames for this... Please go and test drive the cars you are interested in and see which one is better suited to your personal sense of style and buy according to your desire. Engine capability is only one of many factors you will need to consider when buying a new car. FYI, my other car is a plain jane '00 Hyundai Accent.

IS250
01-08-2007, 10:05 AM
Get a Maxima. Jap made, great V6 and better handling than the Accord. Would also be more comfortable for 4 adults on a long trip.

UNLS1
01-08-2007, 04:10 PM
Get a Maxima. Jap made, great V6 and better handling than the Accord. Would also be more comfortable for 4 adults on a long trip.

dont get a maxima, shocking very old shape, very poor sales figures too!
We buy the luxo ones from hertz X hire cars, not bad for 17k and under 50,000kms.

T-onedc2
01-08-2007, 05:02 PM
I think the choice of whether to go with a V6 or a 2.4L comes down to a personal one....To be more blunt (and sorry in advance!!:o), it is more about how much testosterone the driver wishes to show.
or how much they pretend to have, lol

Accord & Maxima (moreso) look like the front wheels are dragging around a fat bum, doesn't look quite right. The Euro has pretty much perfect proportions in my opinion.

aaronng
01-08-2007, 08:53 PM
or how much they pretend to have, lol

Accord & Maxima (moreso) look like the front wheels are dragging around a fat bum, doesn't look quite right. The Euro has pretty much perfect proportions in my opinion.

He's going to be carrying his wife and her parents. The Euro will be bumpy, lack pull below 3000rpm with 4 passengers and the boot won't be big enough to accomodate their luggage if they are going for a short trip.

socheerio
07-08-2007, 03:01 PM
Get a Maxima. Jap made, great V6 and better handling than the Accord. Would also be more comfortable for 4 adults on a long trip.Euro is better car if driving matters.

Maxima is good advice with engine smooth, fast much more interest to inside design.

Citroen C5 HDi also to consider.

aaronng
07-08-2007, 03:19 PM
Euro is better car if driving matters.

Maxima is good advice with engine smooth, fast much more interest to inside design.

French cars......mmm...... I'll pass. :)

Hans Bond
08-08-2007, 10:56 AM
more design faults on the euro? such as?

From what I understand there has been more design faults on the Euro than the Accord, Dad's V6 is a great car, you're a hardcore picky person if you can really tell much different between the two. I'd pick the Accord over the Euro just for the V6. I also understand the quality control at the Thai plant is very much closley monitored by the Japanese anyways - just like the VW's that come out of South Africa....

The only thing I don't like with either Euro or Accord is the rear seat is too short for me along the bottom, you just don't sink into them well.... Interior wise they're near identical and I also think with the lip kit, lowered suspension and some nice wheels the Accord does look classier....

[edit]

There's 3 things I don't like, the fake woodgrain paneling is ugly, hence dad went for the metalic trim (which is actually a dodgey stick on panel, but look much better than the fake wood). And I'd prefer a White one with black leather, unfortunately it was not an option :(

IS250
09-08-2007, 11:43 AM

I was referring to the V6 Accord.

VW Passat TDI would also be worth considering. Would be very economical on long trips with its 2.0 diesel and DSG. Might not be as reliable as a Jap car though.

ginganggooly
09-08-2007, 11:59 AM

Thats bollocks mate...

I do a fair bit of country driving in the Euro, and it's not up to it when you have a full car. The lack of grunt is annoying when passing uphills etc. The car needs an extra 50nM when it's got a full load. When you're alone or with one passenger, it does the job just fine...

Driving underpowered cars in the city is an absolute pain in the arse, everytime you go to merge, overtake, change lanes etc, you need to take into account the fact that everything else driving normally is like you winding it up to 10/10ths.

Pumped
09-08-2007, 12:37 PM

VQ35>*

Abacus
04-11-2007, 02:07 AM
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I am kind of torn between the Accord Luxury V6 and the Maxima Ti.

Anybody know of any particular strengths/weaknesses of one versus the other? Is the CVT transmission in the Maxima as strong or reliable as the Accord automatic?

TiaN
07-11-2007, 09:47 PM
hi all

been really busy. sold my current place and just about to move to our new haven in rowville (talk about large land spaces!). anyway, my decision has been narrowed down to either

1) toyota aurion (awesome cars imho)
2) honda accord V6 (wld prefer the euro, but want a V6)
3) VW Passat (2.0 TDI)

my mum has an aurion SX6 and boy does it boogey from 3rd gear onwards. surprisingly quick for such a large car and just a NA V6 (comparing to stats with the TRD supercharged aurion). Plenty of room, decent engineering, nice features and a good package all round.

honda accord - well, I've a soft spot for honda's which is basically why it's my first choice/ preference. there is a guy in my work who used to work for honda and he reinforces to stay away from any honda V6 as they have transmission problems once they start racking up a few kay's ?? ie. over 100,000kms. I've never heard those claims before and for a top jap brand like honda, I've got my reservations regarding his comments. Anyone else have some first hand experience or input about that ?

Cheers all !

btw - re: maxima, had one, love them!! super smooth engine, roomy as my new living room in rowville but the new ones really would suit a retiree or pensioner. dont think it would do my image much good :P :P

Pumped
08-11-2007, 07:35 AM
Im not sure when its due but it may be worth waiting for the new V6 Accord, couldnt be to far off? :)

ShAwNeX
08-11-2007, 12:15 PM
I think everything has been covered by the previous posts. I would just like to add that with your history of driving turbocharged sports cars with their level of handling, you would be greatly disappointed with the Accord V6. It's steering is quite sluggish while the suspension is quite soft (in other words your typical luxury family car). But then again the Accord V6 wasn't built for sports purposes but rather as a luxury family car with plenty of space, comfort and ease of power. But with that said, one thing that you would be impressed with is the amount of power and torque that it delivers. For your purposes I believe the Accord V6 is the best choice for your situation. Also the Accord V6 was mostly designed for the US market and that's why its styled like it is, with its high boot and etc.

Vinnie
10-11-2007, 08:41 PM
considered ford/holden equivalents as well? falcadores may not hold their value as well but both will have more power and space than the v6 accord for a similar price.

aaronng
10-11-2007, 09:55 PM
considered ford/holden equivalents as well? falcadores may not hold their value as well but both will have more power and space than the v6 accord for a similar price.

I'd seriously consider a Toyota Aurion though. At $38k-ish, they are good buys.

ShAwNeX
11-11-2007, 12:17 PM

My dad previously owned a Ford Falcon. I'll admit that when brand new and up to 100,000 km the car is fine, but beyond 100,000 km, all the problems begin to surface. E.g. oil leaks, gearbox problems, bits and pieces falling off from interior of the car, buttons not working etc (and the list goes on). This is the main reason why I would always prefer a good Japanese car rather than going for a Ford, Holden or even the recent new American imports (like the Dodge and the Chrysler).

TiaN
11-11-2007, 05:00 PM
couldn't agree more. my mum had a VX Clubby (Gen III 5.7lt) since new and they had to replace all 8 pistons due to glazing of the bores. fortunately the car was still under warranty otherwise I would have spat it, knowing the costs involved ie. labour, parts, etc

they are a nice car to drive with reasonable maintenance costs, insurance, fuel, bla bla, but at the end of the day I'll still settle for a jap econo box ;) with a bit of luxury hehe

Vinnie
12-11-2007, 02:06 AM
fair enough, the falcons we/our friends have had have been pretty good but if you have had poor experiences i can see how you would be unwilling to return to them. the reliability of the toyota at least would be arguably better :)

the falcon should cost a good deal less these days as they are looking to clear them for the orion next year but again, but again that will definately not help their resale. looked at mitsu 380, they never really took off so may also be able to get a decent deal on them? not looking to turn u away from the toyotas and hondas just mentioning other options. :)

aaronng
12-11-2007, 06:36 AM
couldn't agree more. my mum had a VX Clubby (Gen III 5.7lt) since new and they had to replace all 8 pistons due to glazing of the bores. fortunately the car was still under warranty otherwise I would have spat it, knowing the costs involved ie. labour, parts, etc

That can happen to any car. It was caused by the person driving the car since new, not Holden's fault.