PDA

View Full Version : Solutions to improve lower back support?

chylld
29-04-2007, 05:36 PM
hey all

recently i'm finding that the seats in my civic are quite lacking in terms of lateral support, especially around the lower back. compared to say a subaru impreza or a holden astra, i find that while cornering, i'm moving around on the seat quite a lot and if i've been on a long drive, my back tends to remind me of the fact for quite a while afterward :(

are there any solutions to this that don't involve replacing the whole seat? i've tried driving with an old flat pillow behind my lower back and surprisingly that alone helps a lot! however i was thinking of a more elegant solution such as possibly modifying the seat or something along those lines...

also, my seats are leather; i think that may be a factor as well. perhaps i can get parts of the seat back re-upholstered in a suede/alcantara/cloth trim to reduce some of the lateral movement?

any ideas?

e240
29-04-2007, 05:39 PM
Put a small pillow.

Zdster
29-04-2007, 06:46 PM
Go to a seat re-trimmer and tell them that you need more support. There are a number of ways that they can fix this. They can insert an inflatible bladder in the seat that you can pump up to where you like. Another option is for them to add more padding to the seat area.

jeffske
29-04-2007, 07:05 PM
rip it out and put in some recaros

Zdster
29-04-2007, 07:14 PM

are there any solutions to this that don't involve replacing the whole seat?

. . . . .

chylld
29-04-2007, 07:23 PM
Go to a seat re-trimmer and tell them that you need more support. There are a number of ways that they can fix this. They can insert an inflatible bladder in the seat that you can pump up to where you like. Another option is for them to add more padding to the seat area.

going to a re-trimmer seems like a very nice option :) found a few through yellowpages.com.au and fired off some emails. adding more padding to the side bolsters sounds like an alright idea, if not for the 10-15cm lateral movement i'm currently getting. i'm thinking of removing/softening some of the centre backrest foam, and/or replacing the centre backrest material with something grippier; although this is getting into the retrimmer's area of expertise so i'll let them advise rather than me wildly guessing :)

that was the first option that came to my mind, but
1) they're too expensive
2) i don't want to lose my side airbags
3) i don't want to return to my car late at night to find my seats gone

Zdster
29-04-2007, 07:57 PM
going to a re-trimmer seems like a very nice option :) found a few through yellowpages.com.au and fired off some emails. adding more padding to the side bolsters sounds like an alright idea, if not for the 10-15cm lateral movement i'm currently getting. i'm thinking of removing/softening some of the centre backrest foam, and/or replacing the centre backrest material with something grippier; although this is getting into the retrimmer's area of expertise so i'll let them advise rather than me wildly guessing :)

If you were in Melbourne I could suggest someone :).

Search through the forums as it has been discussed as to who is a good trimmer in Sydney. Best thing to do is to go and visit a few places, explain that you have back issues and ask them how they would solve the issue.