PDA

View Full Version : Power from battery

GIPONU
29-04-2007, 11:48 PM
my mate installed 2 amps in his car. and each amp gets power from the battery. is it bad or dangerous to have alot of power cables from ur battery?

Fr3aKi3
30-04-2007, 12:11 AM
It's not bad but seeing as to how you have 2 amps it'd just drain more power. Make sure that both cables are fused within 30cm of the battery, also don't use a fuse that's rated too high (unless you've got a powerful amp)

A neater way of doing it would have been to have a single run of thicker cable then using a distrubution block to split it but then this might end up costing more.

Muzz
05-05-2007, 11:24 PM
^^:thumbsup: ;)

my mate installed 2 amps in his car. and each amp gets power from the battery. is it bad or dangerous to have alot of power cables from ur battery?

The thing that matters most is wiring the power cables properly. Not doing it correctly can result in fire and the loss of a car.
As fr3ak3 said you need to place sutiable fuses in both positive lines from the battery, as close to the battery you can get, and no more than a foot away.
You should make sure the positive terminal on the battery is not left exposed after installing the wires, it'd be best covered in some way so nothing can short on it.

:thumbsup:

GIPONU
05-05-2007, 11:38 PM
ermm.. yeh i think i wired it correctly.. and thats my mates car..
and u sed the fuse is no more than a foot away from the battery..umms.. in the car im driving. the fuse is under the back seat.lols

and i just went to autosalon..and one car had his fuses neatly in his boot.like.it was a showoff item.. or would this guy also have fuses where the battery is? mind u this car was a BMW 5 series..unless his battery is in his boot?_?

DLO01
06-05-2007, 12:02 AM
Why does the fuse have to be within 1 foot or 30cm of the battery?

Please explain?

Muzz
06-05-2007, 01:38 AM
Purely and simply to reduce the risk of a short.
For a short circuit to occour it needs to happen before the fuse, having very little cable before the fuse means its very unlikly that the cable before the fuse will be dammaged in any way causing a short circuit.
If the power cable was fused down at the amp in the boot or whatever, theres a greater chance the powercable might be crushed/worn through/dammaged/melted on manifolds etc. somwhere before the fuse, causing a short circuit which can end badly.

Muzz
06-05-2007, 01:44 AM
and i just went to autosalon..and one car had his fuses neatly in his boot.like.it was a showoff item.. or would this guy also have fuses where the battery is? mind u this car was a BMW 5 series..unless his battery is in his boot?_?

Id say he probably does have fuses in the bay or battery in his boot. Ive seen a few cars with fuses in both the engine bay near the battery and down near the amps.

Actually, maby he has a thick single power run from his bay, which is split up down at the amps with each fused seperatly, aswell as a single large fuse for the main power run in the bay??

DLO01
06-05-2007, 01:03 PM
Purely and simply to reduce the risk of a short.
For a short circuit to occour it needs to happen before the fuse, having very little cable before the fuse means its very unlikly that the cable before the fuse will be dammaged in any way causing a short circuit.
If the power cable was fused down at the amp in the boot or whatever, theres a greater chance the powercable might be crushed/worn through/dammaged/melted on manifolds etc. somwhere before the fuse, causing a short circuit which can end badly.

Very good. I was just testing you Muzzly. :p

Thats right the fuse protects the circuit after it.

If you have a short before the fuse, then BANG! not good

If you have a short after the fuse then the protecting fuse will sacrificially blow.

Putting the fuse close to the battery will increase the circuit protection.

GIPONU
08-05-2007, 12:14 AM
lets see if this helps..lawls..

this is the boot of the beamer
http://h1.ripway.com/GIPONU/2007(75).JPG
notice each side has a glass thingy

and the glass thigny is this
http://h1.ripway.com/GIPONU/2007(76).JPG
double fusses of each cable..huh?

BRU51N
08-05-2007, 01:24 AM
thats one hot setup :eek: