PDA

View Full Version : Shell 100 octane petrol?

da spike
30-04-2007, 12:09 PM
Has anyone used Shell 100 octane 'race fuel' as they call it? Just want to hear some of your feedback about it and how it is for vtec. It contains 5% ethanol is this good or bad? I used it and the car was running pretty good but i dont know if there was a difference between normal 98 octane optimax or ultimate.. (and for you mobil people synergy 8000)

dsp26
30-04-2007, 12:30 PM
there will be slight dyno proven gains as it runs your car leaner than normal.

You wouldn't benefit from it much to outweight the cost unless you were running a 'tune' to require such an octane rating.

Here is an example for those who remember (it's been posted before in the tech section):

On the SAU (Skylines Australia Forum), there was a bloke with minor mods and an aftermarket computer. Previously tuned to run optimally on 98oct. Switching over to the 100oct WITH an optimal re-tune to take advantage of this resulted in a peak gain of ~32rwkw. That's corerct... it was a massive gain... but like i said, he had the mods and the correct tune to take advantage of it.

***EDIT***
The above was on a mildly modded R33 with rb25det

Spunkymonkey
30-04-2007, 12:35 PM
hi mate, theres been plenty of fuel discussions before....

I use it, and do find a small increase in response....

everyone's car is different so everyone will have a different opinion on what fuel suits them.

This is my opinion in relation to my car:

V sport race 100 octane - exhaust sounds a bit beefier lol...and better response when accelerating....as usual with optimax plenty of black soot on the rear bumper after spirited driving, however fuel economy is quite good.

Vsport (normal optimax) - alright and generally better fuel economy then bp ultimate and synergy and caltex vortex, but doesn't burn that clean as mentioned...lots of black soot....

BP ultimate - used to use this all the time, because the car ran really nice...only down side, less fuel economy as optimax is more dense... burns clean...no soot....

Synergy - sorta in the middle from bp and optimax.... too much out of the way to pour it, and didn't find any real difference.

Caltex Vortex both 96 and 98 versions - for some strange reason makes my exhaust really noisy and response is pretty bad compared to the others...

having said this, this is only applicable to my car set up..our other cars at home respond differently to the different fuel types e.g. our forester runs really nice on the vortex.

Kiz_EG6
30-04-2007, 12:47 PM
NOT IN A HONDA!!!
The fuel you are talking about contains ETHANOL and is not suitable for many pre 2004 hondas at all!
Have heard horror stories of clogging injectors, killing fuel lines ETC...

You will find info at this site;
http://www.fcai.com.au/ethanol.php/2006/12/00000005.html

dsp26
30-04-2007, 12:59 PM
^^^can be rectified if the owner is willing to do 'minor mods' which include replacing all fuel lines in the car as well as converting to a re-usable/cleanable copper filter element.

It's true about the corrosion... i used a non-genuine nissan fuel filter in my NX before (valvoline i think). i ended up ripping it apart after 6 months and saw the element falling apart which is pretty damn bad. However this was using United Petrols 98 octane with 10% ethanol. which is usually 2c cheaper than normal branded regular 92oct petrols.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44822&page=2&highlight=fuel+filter
^^^Check Post#12 and #20

kid_dynamite
30-04-2007, 01:15 PM
Used V-Power Racing (and it's predecessor Optimax Extreme) since it came out on my old Skyline, and didn't experience a single issue with it. Couple of months after I started using it fuel pump was pulled out, fuel filter cut open and lines inspected - no damage at all.

A lof of the stories you used to hear in the media about perished lines, etc was mainly due to improper mixing etc. Since then ethanol blended fuels have become more popular, Shell has a lot invested in the fuel, they wouldn't market something with some potentially serious issues. If you search any car forum there will be generally positive comments.

dsp26
30-04-2007, 02:50 PM
^^^ yeah thats true but there are still some that will... it's more on insurance issue for the petrol supplier.

Heres an example, i ordered a afpr from the states.. it came with a rubber fuel line hoses... it had nylon supports and everything, but it (like o-rings near the fuel pump) expanded and absorbed petrol and it started dissolving near the hose clamps, obviously mixed with the clamping pressure. This was rectified by going to autbarn and buying an adr compliant hose which was clearly more durable.

All those statements on car manufacturer sites also recommending which of their vehicles can use it is also insurance for them and the owner as material designs advance over the years. Car manufactureres are mostly international therefore have to provide a generic statement to cater for all their vehicles... same with international petrol companies. Even for Australian it is not OPEC thats liable it is the likes of Shell, Caltex, etc as they are the distributors

Kiz_EG6
30-04-2007, 02:55 PM
Used V-Power Racing (and it's predecessor Optimax Extreme) since it came out on my old Skyline, and didn't experience a single issue with it. Couple of months after I started using it fuel pump was pulled out, fuel filter cut open and lines inspected - no damage at all.

A lof of the stories you used to hear in the media about perished lines, etc was mainly due to improper mixing etc. Since then ethanol blended fuels have become more popular, Shell has a lot invested in the fuel, they wouldn't market something with some potentially serious issues. If you search any car forum there will be generally positive comments.

Man, not only are you talking Nissan, but that aside Shell themselves do not recommend that ethanol is used in most pre 2004 Hondas!

kid_dynamite
30-04-2007, 03:37 PM
^^ Yeah I know, but just trying to draw on my own experiences. FWIW Nissans are also on that FCAI not recommended list. Like I said though check forums and there's plenty of ppl who use VPR with no ill-effects.

dsp26
30-04-2007, 03:57 PM
oh yeah for the original thread psoter also....

check at the very bottom of this thread and you will see a section called "Similar Threads"

da spike
30-04-2007, 04:03 PM
Ok thanks people :)

didz
30-04-2007, 07:16 PM
Honda australia say on the website which hondas are suitable for ethanol fuels (max 10%) and vpower racing is 5%. Check the webby to see. If honda say it can take it and it fails. Sue and become rich and famous!

Zilli
30-04-2007, 08:14 PM
i use it in mine occasionally because i cant always get to a BP for Ultimate

i havent had a problem

Boban
01-05-2007, 09:42 PM
I've started using it lately in my cars, can't say i've had any problems yet, but than again i've only used it for a couple of months. I find i get better fuel economy out of it than any others (i used BP ultimate b4) and have tried all other brands, If my car dies somewhere and the fuel filter falls off or whatever is meant to happen i'll let you guys know.

Also, heaps of my friends use them in their non-honda cars (skylines, beemers, rexies) and none of them have reported any problems

Sp00ny
03-05-2007, 10:54 PM
Man, not only are you talking Nissan, but that aside Shell themselves do not recommend that ethanol is used in most pre 2004 Hondas!

If you read the small print on the pump you will actually find that it states...

"Not to be used in aircraft" (LOL)
"Check compatability for cars manufactured before 1986"

Doesn't say anything else. Now if you ask me, a company like Shell would not take the risk of not mentioning it, even if it was a very minor risk.

Also according the the above linked list. "Nissan All models post 2004" are only compatable. As far as I know, there aren't any 2004+ R33's etc.

Cheers.