PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Help! Slave cylinder Totally broke!

kyobibi
30-04-2007, 09:37 PM

bennjamin
30-04-2007, 09:48 PM
what is broken about it ?!?

it is held on by 2 small 12mm bolts onto the side of the gearbox - is there the part that is broken ? If so yes it would have to be welded , or maybe re-tap mounting points for it

kyobibi
30-04-2007, 10:13 PM

bennjamin
30-04-2007, 10:17 PM
check the 2 bolts are there (located on the underside of the slave cylinder , holding it to the gearbox) They might just need a tighten or replace if ones missing.
If its the piston that is moved or broken - best thing to do is get a new / second hand one off any EG or DC maybe EK's too.All the same....easy to install.

Edgeauto
30-04-2007, 10:24 PM
There is a gap there cause the boot has come off the slave cylinder, just remove the fork cover boot and refit the slaver cylinder. If its cracked they are not worth messing with, just get a new one they are not that expensive.

kyobibi
30-04-2007, 10:26 PM
check the 2 bolts are there (located on the underside of the slave cylinder , holding it to the gearbox) They might just need a tighten or replace if ones missing.
If its the piston that is moved or broken - best thing to do is get a new / second hand one off any EG or DC maybe EK's too.All the same....easy to install.

thanks alot!
i will check if the 2 bolts are on the gearbox tomorrow when theres sunlight.

So the bit towards the right is the piston?
is the piston supposed to be able to be jiggled around in there?

bennjamin
30-04-2007, 10:29 PM
thanks alot!
i will check if the 2 bolts are on the gearbox tomorrow when theres sunlight.

So the bit towards the right is the piston?
Is the gap supposed to be there and is the piston supposed to be able to be jiggled around in there?

the piston is inside the rubber cover as mentioned above. The gap is normal IF the rubber cover is loose / off.
Make sure the rubber cover fits snug - it should slide and fit in a groove on the gearbox.

kyobibi
30-04-2007, 10:32 PM
the piston is inside the rubber cover as mentioned above. The gap is normal IF the rubber cover is loose / off.
Make sure the rubber cover fits snug - it should slide and fit in a groove on the gearbox.

ahh ok :)
i'll have another look for all the things you and edgeauto mentioned in sunlight tomorrow.

thanks heaps fellas.

fatboyz39
02-05-2007, 09:11 AM
Is it pissing out with fluid? If not then its just the rubbercovering thats pop off.

If you need help Pm me.

kyobibi
02-05-2007, 05:12 PM

fatboyz39
02-05-2007, 11:28 PM
thats nasty shit there......

You'll need to remove the gearbox and get it alloy welded. Goodluck. Costly repair.

There is a dodgy way, just put one bolt on. LOL

T.E.D.
03-05-2007, 01:34 PM
hi,
dont dodge it up. you need to remove the gear box and get it alloy welded. it cannot be welded in place. the damaged area needs to be completely cleaned by sand blasting to ensure a good weld. it looks like you have lost about half the thread. a good alloy welder will be able to repair. the repair will then need to be machined to match the other mounting thread surface to insure correct alignment of the slave cylinder. then drilled and tapped.

sounds very complicated, but a good tradesman should be able to carry out this repair easily.

ask aroud for a good shop that can handle the repair.

good luck.
cheers.

bennjamin
03-05-2007, 01:38 PM
^ as above.

How did it happen tho ? over tightened the bolt ?

[[d a n n y]]
03-05-2007, 01:45 PM
that's some bad shit man..
gonna cost abit to fix it up.

creativepunka
04-05-2007, 08:41 AM
];1154911']that's some bad shit man..
gonna cost abit to fix it up.

I agree. If it was my car id try the dodgy way first. Put it back together and screw the bolt into where it should be and if you have enough room, fill in the missing parts up with devcon. The devcon should hold the bolt in.

fatboyz39
04-05-2007, 08:50 AM
it'll require the box to be pulled out, repaired then re-install the box.

At least $300 at workshops.

bennjamin
04-05-2007, 03:24 PM
it'll require the box to be pulled out, repaired then re-install the box.

At least $300 at workshops.

thats if it can be retapped while still in the engine bay.
MAYBE it might have to be dropped and the casing removed.
Add another $300+ for labour