PDA

View Full Version : Quick Tyres and offset question.

G3RA1D
01-05-2007, 01:38 AM
i've just purchased new rims. 16x7 +36 offset.

i've got a EG hatch and my current rims are 16x6.5 +41 offset (i think).. with 205/45 R16 tyres.

my question is:

1) since the new rims are wider (16x7) with a +36 offset.. does that mean it will sit similar to my current rims (16x6.5 +41 offset)..?

2) will i be able to use the 205/45 R16 on the new rims with no problems...?

Thanx in advance.

Cheers,
Gerald

***EDIT***

a few pics taken tonight.. sorry for the sh*t quality, taken form my camera fone.

this is how the rims currently sit.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w65/G3RA1D/01052007623.jpg http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w65/G3RA1D/01052007624.jpg

akusuma
01-05-2007, 10:27 AM
1. only offset that determines how your rims will sit (smaller number will sit further outward). however when using wider rims, you need to use smaller offset number since you will need that extra inner space.
2. depends on how low is your car

I think your setup will work, but I can't tell for sure. It is correct to use smaller offset with wider rims. But again, it also depends on how low is your car.
Please note that using smaller offset and wider rims will make the rims more off the guard.

DLO01
01-05-2007, 12:12 PM
i've just purchased new rims. 16x7 +36 offset.

i've got a EG hatch and my current rims are 16x6.5 +41 offset (i think).. with 205/45 R16 tyres.

my question is:

1) since the new rims are wider (16x7) with a +36 offset.. does that mean it will sit similar to my current rims (16x6.5 +41 offset)..?

2) will i be able to use the 205/45 R16 on the new rims with no problems...?

Note: don't forget about inner clearances as well.

Thanx in advance.

Cheers,
Gerald

1)
Your gaining 0.5 of an inch which (6.5inch -> 7) = 12.7mm

Half of that is = 6.35 (because we are working on the center line 6.35 is taken off both sides of wheel)

Your bringing your wheel in (+36 -> +41) = 5mm.

Therefore your wheel will be sticking out (6.35-5mm) = 1.35mm toward the guard.

2)
Its not much, but your wheel is sticking out further so depends how much clearance you have???

DLO01
01-05-2007, 12:17 PM
Please note that using smaller offset and wider rims will make the rims more off the guard.

Thats not right, using a smaller offset period, will put your wheel closer to the guard. Offset is wheel hub mount to the center line of the wheel (not to the outer rim)

G3RA1D
01-05-2007, 12:58 PM
1)
Your gaining 0.5 of an inch which (6.5inch -> 7) = 12.7mm

Half of that is = 6.35 (because we are working on the center line 6.35 is taken off both sides of wheel)

Your bringing your wheel in (+36 -> +41) = 5mm.

Therefore your wheel will be sticking out (6.35-5mm) = 1.35mm toward the guard.

2)
Its not much, but your wheel is sticking out further so depends how much clearance you have???

sweet.. thanx for that dude.
i was hoping the difference in offset wouldn't make that much difference siince the new rims are 0.5" wider.
1.35mm doesn't sound too bad.
i'll find out today neways once i get the rims put on.

DLO01
01-05-2007, 01:05 PM
Need to consider inner clearances as well. :thumbsup:

TEGNO1
01-05-2007, 06:21 PM
Hi
This is how i see it.
If you got the same size rims 16x6.5 but with the +36mm offset your new rims will shift 5mm outwards already.
what that means is 5mm less tuckage of the wheel. (5mm more inner clearance but 5mm closer to the outer guard.)
Now you have incresed the wheel to 16x7 so from that your rim will go in by 6.35mm and out by 6.35mm.
Therefore 5mm from before + 6.35mm from extra width ...
You get 6.35mm - 5mm that you gained in inner clearnce = 1.35mm less inner clearance.
But outer you have 5mm + increase of 6.35mm = 11.35mm toward the guard.
Sorry pain trying to explain in writing.
Answer should be 1.35mm less inner clearance
11.35mm closer to the outer guard.
The higher the offset the more tuckage you get.
I think you did it back to front deano.

G3RA1D
01-05-2007, 07:29 PM
thanx for all ur replies.
i had the rims fitted onto the car today.
rims look heaps good on the car.. dissapointed at the fact that i am getting some scrubbin on the rear when on an uneven road surface and with passengers in the back..
i'm riding on tein coilovers, the car isn't even that low atm. the gaurds have already been rolled.
will post pics later tonight to show the height.

is there anyway of getting rid of the scrubbing.?
maybe changing the size of the tyres.?
stiffening up the back.?
flaring the gaurds out a bit more.?

anyone have similar probs.?

aaronng
01-05-2007, 08:04 PM
TEGNO1 got it right. :)

DLO01
01-05-2007, 09:22 PM
I think you did it back to front deano.

Oh did I? Bugger, thanks man. :cool: :thumbsup:

is there anyway of getting rid of the scrubbing.?
maybe changing the size of the tyres.?
stiffening up the back.?
flaring the gaurds out a bit more.?

Any one of those will fix possibly. Post up some photos.

TEGNO1
01-05-2007, 10:43 PM
Another way if your rims allow it is to take them to a cnc guy and get him to shave a few mil of the inside of the mounting hub that would be like increasing the offset and you could tuck them in a bit.
but do your research some you can and some you cant.

G3RA1D
01-05-2007, 11:41 PM
Another way if your rims allow it is to take them to a cnc guy and get him to shave a few mil of the inside of the mounting hub that would be like increasing the offset and you could tuck them in a bit.

brand new rims.. don't wanna do that as yet.. hehehe
i'll try and find other ways to stop the scrubbing first..
if it all fails, i'll take it into consideration... heheh

G3RA1D
01-05-2007, 11:58 PM
first post updated with pics of how the rims are sitting on the car.

chilli
02-05-2007, 02:44 AM
maybe a stiff rear sway bar?? hehe doesnt really solve the problem.. but if it scrubs when you corner (ie bodyroll causing the scrubbing) it could help. It helped for me when i had my old 16" rims and fat tyres =]

DLO01
02-05-2007, 06:07 AM

Within your research, also check with the manufacturer to see if they approve of this ^^^.

supersamEK
02-05-2007, 06:15 PM
anyone have similar probs.?

yeh i got the exact same problem. bought some 16" buddyclubs with 35offset. runnin 205/45 tyres and scrubbin like mofo. except wierd thing is only one wheel scrubs..rear left..
runnin flex coilovers, checked all measurements i could, and were close enough to the same.

only thing that can really fix easily is to raise height. thats wat im gonna have to resort too. :(

unless sum1 has magical solution....:angel:

G3RA1D
03-05-2007, 01:08 AM
yeh i got the exact same problem. bought some 16" buddyclubs with 35offset. runnin 205/45 tyres and scrubbin like mofo. except wierd thing is only one wheel scrubs..rear left..
runnin flex coilovers, checked all measurements i could, and were close enough to the same.

only thing that can really fix easily is to raise height. thats wat im gonna have to resort too. :(

unless sum1 has magical solution....:angel:

i was hoping to find someone with a similar prob who found a solution.! lol

majoriy of the scrubbing seems to be coming form the driver side rear on mine.
i'll try and play around with the stiffness of the coilovers toms to see if that makes a difference...

i don't really wanna raise the car. was hoping to drop it a bit more, guess that's out of the question for now.
Got someome to sit in the rear tonight to try and see where it was rubbing, but it seems to clear it...:confused:
i'll try and drop it as much as i can over the weekend to see if i can find out where exactly it is scrubbin.