PDA

View Full Version : EK owners plz read

jwakefi0
01-05-2007, 01:07 PM
Hi im looking at buying a EK civic in the future, but im a bit confused as to what is the best.. theres the Vti Gli & Cxi.

Ive read in a previous thread, that vti is a bit poor in low revs in comparison to a non vtec example. though id like everyones opinion, is it poor at low revs, or is it the same as a non vtec model up until vtec kicks in..

Thanks.

[[d a n n y]]
01-05-2007, 01:18 PM
that's no true
they are about the same power levels but when the vtec kicks in it makes more power where the non vtec engines just die off

kn1ghtm4r3
01-05-2007, 01:54 PM
Civic Cxi & Gli (Gli and Cxi share the same engine with different options)
Released: 1993-2000
Engine1: '93-'94 1.6L SOHC 16-valve 74kW
Engine2: '94-'00 1.6L SOHC 16-valve 88kW (Gli/Cxi)
Code1: ?
Code2: D16Y4
Weight: CXI-1003kg GLI-1009kg
Brakes: Front discs, rear drums
Features: Power windows (factory option)
Models: 4 door sedan, 3 door hatch or 2 door coupe.

Civic Vti
Engine1: '93-94 1.6L SOHC VTEC 16-valve 96kW@6,800rpm
Engine2: '95-00 1.6L SOHC 16-valve 88kW
Code1: D16Y1, (D16Y8-VTi Coupe)
Code2: D16Y5
Weight: Sedan-1060kg Coupe-1029kg
Brakes: 4 wheel disc brakes (vti coupe has rear drums)
Features: Power windows + mirrors, drivers airbag, sunroof

Civic VTi-R
Released: 1995-2000
Engine: 1.6L DOHC VTEC 16 valve 118kW
Weight: Hatch-1105kg Coupe-1114kg
Brakes: 4 wheel Anti-Lock Disc Brakes (ABS)
Features: Power windows, mirrors, sunroof (not available on the Coupe) and central locking
Models: 3 door hatch or 2 door coupe.

Civic GLi
Released: 2000-
Engine: 1.7L SOHC 16 valve 88kW@6,200rpm
Weight: Manual = 1,070kg / Auto = 1,095kg
Brakes: 4 wheel Anti-Lock Disc Brakes (ABS).
Features: Power windows, mirrors, airbags, CD player, A/C, LEV
Models: 5 door sedan only.

Civic Vi
Engine: 1.7L SOHC VTEC 16 valve 96kW
Weight: 1130kg
Features: Power windows, mirrors, airbags, CD player, A/C
Models: 5 door hatch.

grabbed from : http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2

lil_miss_vtec
01-05-2007, 06:33 PM
Vti-R all the way!
Electric sunroof (I loved it in my old Vti-R), B16a, all electrics, 4 Wheel Disc brakes with ABS, the one bad thing I would say are the Vti-R seats are a bit uncomfortable :( they are too hard but with that aside they are such a GREAT car! Definatly worth the extra $$$!

Zdster
01-05-2007, 07:00 PM
It is all a question of what you mean by 'best'? Power, options, price?

jwakefi0
01-05-2007, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the replys so far, well bassically im looking for a nice solid car that handles. And has some go, with the potential for more go without changing the engine. The Vti really appealed to me from the start.

But id like to here first hand reviews from EK owners on what the model is like, from there own expeirance. And im yet to test drive a civic so i cant really be sure what to expect from civics vtec or no vtec.

simmyhong
01-05-2007, 07:48 PM
ill just say, from experience, that the difference between a cxi and vti-r is enormous. considering that all civics look the same, if you want more power without the need of engine swap, you'll definitely be/should be looking at the vti-r models.

gluck!

kn1ghtm4r3
01-05-2007, 07:50 PM
vti-R if you don't really want to change the engine, you'd prolly get bored of the others ahahahah. and the sound of vtec on the b16a is great lol i always love hearing the crossover

Jord
01-05-2007, 09:28 PM
I am a student and when i upgraded from my 1989 civic Gl dual carb i wasnt to fussed as long as my next civic had an efi engine. as funds were limited i chose a CXI with mild cosmetic mods... if i have the coin id go a vtir anyday.. VTEC power!

dupac->
01-05-2007, 10:40 PM
you would want the vti-r.. dont bother with the others..
unless u got a budget

not a bad car i say!

misteR_bilzz
01-05-2007, 10:46 PM
VTi-R or nothing.. great all rounder looks hot good on fuel goes good would put most 2L NA engines to shame. not to mention they hold theyre value.

dupac->
01-05-2007, 10:51 PM
yeah truee. got both vtir and gli and comparing them the vtir shits all over it in every way.

misteR_bilzz
01-05-2007, 10:53 PM
Lolzz well said! *hi5* electrics, semi buckets, sunroof, VTAKK its all good baby!

dupac->
01-05-2007, 10:54 PM
but i save more petrol driving the gli

lol coz cant hoon..

dupac->
01-05-2007, 11:02 PM
Lolzz well said! *hi5* electrics, semi buckets, sunroof, VTAKK its all good baby!

lol :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

kn1ghtm4r3
01-05-2007, 11:38 PM
but i save more petrol driving the gli

lol coz cant hoon..

lol im sure ud find a way to hoon in a gli LOLOL. :thumbsup:

HondaLva
02-05-2007, 12:07 AM
i own a SIR EK(a JDM VTI-R)...and mate i would have it no other way...when VTEC kicks in it screams like a virgin...over and over hehehe :D

Muzz
02-05-2007, 12:19 AM
Yeah, if you want a good engine to get some power out of, and you dont wanna turbo it down the track, definatly go for the vtir.

I got a cxi because i knew i would want to either swap to a b18c or turbo the d16y4 in the future. I was origionally looking for a gli only cus they come with rear brakes, but i found a pristine cxi, for a big saving $$ that would easily cover the cost to do the rear brake conversion.

If you want good power, and dont want to go turbo or swap engines, vtir is your only option ftw!

jwakefi0
02-05-2007, 02:12 PM
When you say the Vti-r you meen the vti-r or the vti i was considering the vti if i can get it for around 8-9 grand...but you also say the gli comes with rear disc brakes..which is a positive.

simmyhong
02-05-2007, 02:23 PM
When you say the Vti-r you meen the vti-r or the vti? i was considering the vti if i can get it for around 8-9 grand...but you also say the gli comes with rear disc brakes..which is a positive.

i think youre :sleep:'ing

here it is again, from nightmare, from the FAQ sticky:

Civic Cxi &; Gli (Gli and Cxi share the same engine with different options)
Engine1: '93-'94 1.6L SOHC 16-valve 74kW
Engine2: '94-'00 1.6L SOHC 16-valve 88kW (Gli/Cxi)
Code1: ?
Code2: D16Y4
Weight: CXI-1003kg GLI-1009kg
Brakes: Front discs, rear drums
Features: Power windows (factory option)

Civic Vti
Engine1: '93-94 1.6L SOHC VTEC 16-valve 96kW@6,800rpm
Engine2: '95-00 1.6L SOHC 16-valve 88kW
Code1: D16Y1, (D16Y8-VTi Coupe)
Code2: D16Y5
Weight: Sedan-1060kg Coupe-1029kg
Brakes: 4 wheel disc brakes (vti coupe has rear drums)
Features: Power windows + mirrors, drivers airbag, sunroof

Civic VTi-R
Features: Power windows, mirrors, sunroof (not available on the Coupe) and central locking

Civic GLi
Engine: 1.7L SOHC 16 valve 88kW@6,200rpm
Weight: Manual = 1,070kg / Auto = 1,095kg
Brakes: 4 wheel Anti-Lock Disc Brakes (ABS).
Features: Power windows, mirrors, airbags, CD player, A/C, LEV
Models: 5 door sedan only.

Civic Vi

grabbed from : http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2
=============

you can see all the information you could possibly ever need. :thumbsup:

you can grab an integra vti-r for around 8-9k these days x))
no flaming please :p

steve88
02-05-2007, 03:27 PM
thats for old DC2 tegra's though, my EK GLi cost me $7k last year, cheapest VTi-R EK i can find is like $14k !!

jwakefi0
02-05-2007, 05:14 PM
Yea, well for around 8-9 i may end up with a EK gli, though is the vti a bad buy if i could find it for around that price range?Or is it likely to be thrashed?

NeRV
02-05-2007, 05:21 PM
who knows if its gonna be thrashed, just check on its condition, id buy the cheapest EK if its for a project swap etc.. or get a Vti-R if its gonna just be lightly modded and your not into changing everything.

steve88
02-05-2007, 06:32 PM
thats what i concluded is cheaper, seriously... my car only needs about another $500-$600 of work on it and thats too bring it upto spec of perfect condition. then all i need too do is drop a b18 or something that'll shit on a VTi-R... altho im honestly only doing it for the learning experience that can come with putting in a new engine

jwakefi0
02-05-2007, 09:16 PM
Hmm, yea so which is a better model the cxi or gli, assuming i cant find a vti for my price range? what mods have you done to bring yours up to spec steve88?

thats what i concluded is cheaper, seriously... my car only needs about another $500-$600 of work on it and thats too bring it upto spec of perfect condition. then all i need too do is drop a b18 or something that'll shit on a VTi-R... altho im honestly only doing it for the learning experience that can come with putting in a new engine

Muzz
02-05-2007, 11:12 PM
i Dont know if youve been listening to anyone here, or if youve had a look at the model list which as been posted twice, maby the vti-r is a little to expensive, but its really the only option if you want to keep your standard engine while still having a fast car.

The vti isnt a powerful engine, its non vtec its rated the same as a cxi (cheapest, less options), and gli (few extra options), at 88kw for the EK. The vti really only has a couple of extras on top of the gli.

Once again vti-r (different engine to the vti) is the only option for a fast car unless...
1. its unafordable and not an option
2. you have changed your mind, and are now happy to have a weak engine.
3. youve changed your mind and want to do an engine swap later
4. you wanna go turbo on the stock engine

We need to know what your after, you say you want the one with power but are choosing a model which lacks in that department, you realise this, but no longer mind, correct?

The cxi is the lowest model, gli is the step above. The gli has a passanger airbag, rear disk brakes, and was offered with both power windows and manual windows. (none of which come with the cxi)

The vti has power rearview mirrors (somthing no one really needs), and a sunroof if im correct.

If you want your car to be fast, but cant afford to get a vti-r, id do as i did, and go for the much cheaper gli or cxi, which are lighter, and save up to swap in a b18c ($5000-$7000?) which would shit on a vti-r and probably work out not too much more expensive.

Muzz
02-05-2007, 11:21 PM
if you care only for performance, and not options, the only real performance differences between the cxi and gli and vti for that matter, are the rear disk brakes. The cxi has drums instead (still tones of stopping power).

When i was in the exact same position as you, i chose a cxi because the average difference in cost between the cxi and gli, made it cheaper for me to get the cxi and do a rear brake swap, leaving me some cash to do some suspension mods.

If its between the cxi, gli, and vti, all it comes down to is what you want more, performance or nice features.

For example, you can get a vti with power windows, sunroof, rear disks.

Or for the same price, you could get a cxi, get some swaybars, lowering springs, and still have a little dosh leftover to put towards sport shocks or a rear disk conversion. (Its my opionion that the rear drums brakes on my cxi have all the stopping power you will need for the street, it brakes really hard, more than my parents commodore executive).

So as you can see it comes down to having extra money to increase the performance of a great car, or having power windows, power mirrors (how much time is spend adjusting the mirrors anyways???), a sunroof, passanger airbag, and the rear disk brakes.

hope this helps bud, i went the exact same thing ur goin through now, ony 1-2 years ago

jwakefi0
03-05-2007, 01:52 AM
Thanks thats given me some insight, i think ill go for the gli an just work on the suspension. I meen for a 4cylinder its a pretty good package in quality.

Muzz
03-05-2007, 01:54 AM
yeah it sure is! im as happy as larry with my cxi, the passanger airbag, rear disks and optional power windows would be a real treat!

steve88
03-05-2007, 08:50 AM
afaik the cxi didn't have a tachometre or central locking?

Muzz
03-05-2007, 10:16 AM
afaik the cxi didn't have a tachometre or central locking?

Yeah, its got no tacho, but it didnt take long for me to realise how usless a tacho really is. Your manual tells you what the maximum safe speeds are for each gear. It i was driving to redline id shift at 50 in 1st, 90 in second and 135 or so in 3rd, no difference in looking at a tacho, and looking at your speedo. These days i barly look down at it as you seem to learn when to shift by the engine note, somthing that i believe happens quicker without having a tacho. Last thing you wanna be doing when you pushing to redline is looking down at a tacho/speedo.

It dosnt have keyless entry, which is a bugger, but you get used to it. At least you dont have to reach over and unlock the passanger door for them:zip: , it happens automatically (im not sure if its called central locking with out keyless entry:confused: )

Zdster
03-05-2007, 10:33 AM
It dosnt have keyless entry, which is a bugger, but you get used to it. At least you dont have to reach over and unlock the passanger door for them:zip: , it happens automatically (im not sure if its called central locking with out keyless entry:confused: )

You are talking about central locking. Keyless entry is pretty easy to install after the fact though.

This has all been discussed before, so lets more focus on engine details/requirements for this individual.

steve88
03-05-2007, 11:00 AM
Yeah, its got no tacho, but it didnt take long for me to realise how usless a tacho really is. Your manual tells you what the maximum safe speeds are for each gear. It i was driving to redline id shift at 50 in 1st, 90 in second and 135 or so in 3rd, no difference in looking at a tacho, and looking at your speedo. These days i barly look down at it as you learn by the engine note, somthing that i believe happens quicker without having a tacho. Last thing you wanna be doing when you pushing to redline is looking down at a tacho/speedo.

actually easily solved, buy a tachometre and stick it on your dash (impress ladies, fancy dials yo) ... and the central locking mechanism is actually present in CXi's, its just missing the wiring (someone here on ozhonda found that out, do a search)

i havent really modded my ek mechanically except a 2.5" catback exhaust system, its stock d16 nonvtec sohc, came with 17" chromes that i have scratched while i learnt this car on my Ls (dont really care, they're pretty ugly)... i figured id save $5000~ and decide too sell it and get a VTi-R equivilant or drop a B18 in it :)

honestly id just save and get a VTi-R, a good condition GLi and decent VTi-R have about $3k difference

engines?
CXi/GLi = same 77kw ~ atw
VTi = about an extra 10kw atw if you're lucky, mind you the SOHC VTi is aimed for economy not performance
VTi-R = B16's basically, 100, 110kw atw if you're lucky

honestly for a first car i suppose GLi is fine, i still get my kicks launching it in first few gears. but i have driven my brothers VTi coupe and know the difference, and cant wait too drive a VTi-R :p

Muzz
03-05-2007, 11:10 AM
When you say central locking, are you talking about how the other doors unlock when you unlock the drivers door? If so my cxi already does that, im confused to what you mean. Your not talking about remote keyless entry obviously?????:confused:

Im perfectly happy without a tacho, and dont believe im disadvantaged in any way. I actually only just recently sold a new tacho i had laying around to teddychan of these forums, cus i feel i have absolutly no use for it lol.

steve88
03-05-2007, 11:19 AM
odd! i was told central locking wasn't apart of cxi's stock! its something you have too buy.. my bad

Muzz
03-05-2007, 11:22 AM
lol, maby the previous owner got it installed and forgot to tell me..

steve88
03-05-2007, 11:24 AM
there's a thread here where someone bought a central locking kit. and the guy said the actuator was already there

see here:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41970&highlight=central+locking+cxi

barefootbonzai
03-05-2007, 11:27 AM
Yeah, its got no tacho, but it didnt take long for me to realise how usless a tacho really is. Your manual tells you what the maximum safe speeds are for each gear. It i was driving to redline id shift at 50 in 1st, 90 in second and 135 or so in 3rd, no difference in looking at a tacho, and looking at your speedo. These days i barly look down at it as you learn by the engine note, somthing that i believe happens quicker without having a tacho. Last thing you wanna be doing when you pushing to redline is looking down at a tacho/speedo.

You seem to be a kind of guy that really analyzes things to the extremes. But this statement of yours is just plan silly. There is no way you could drive a car to it's potential without a tacho or shift light of some sort. Looking at your speed will not be accurate enough for you to know when to shift.

Then engine note? come on...

tseesinngwailo
03-05-2007, 11:28 AM
Civic VTi-R

So this is a B16A right? did this model ever come in a limited edition 4 door?? My wife wants to upgrade at the end of this year and she hates hatches, so it has to have 4 doors...

Now this one:
Civic Vi

This is an EP right? so also came in 4 door, was there a model in Japan that had B16 or B18 in it that would be good for getting a half cut, as the 96Kw isnt much compared to the 1.6SOHC Vtec.

We currently have a 94 D15 Civic 4 door that is powerless to a large degree, I am fighting her wishes to get a Camry...

I have a B16A Integra DA9 and I love the engine, screams better than my wife :)

But if you have the money, I would get the Vti-R great engine :)

steve88
03-05-2007, 11:35 AM
destroy the camry!

Muzz
03-05-2007, 12:05 PM
You seem to be a kind of guy that really analyzes things to the extremes. But this statement of yours is just plan silly. There is no way you could drive a car to it's potential without a tacho or shift light of some sort. Looking at your speed will not be accurate enough for you to know when to shift.

I dont really see much of a difference between looking at the speedo and shifting at 50kmh/90kmh, and looking at a tacho and shifting at 7000rpm, yes its going to be silghtly less accurate because of the smaller sweep, but if your watching your tacho to shift exactly on 7000rpm your not paying enough attention to the road IMO.

Yes, thats right the engine note (i suppose road speed also plays a part in helping your sences feel where to shift).

Are you telling me you cant drive your car, and shift pretty much right on the redline without looking down at your tacho???
Im sure you can, as can i and most others who enjoy driving, by listening to the engine......

All im trying to say, is even though all these features are wonderful and make life a little easier, they really dont impact much at all on the driving experiance, so dont feel bad if you cant get em...

Please let me know specifically what you find silly and over analysed by my opionions on living without a tacho.

Yeah, its got no tacho, but it didnt take long for me to realise how usless a tacho really is. Your manual tells you what the maximum safe speeds are for each gear. It i was driving to redline id shift at 50 in 1st, 90 in second and 135 or so in 3rd, no difference in looking at a tacho, and looking at your speedo. These days i barly look down at it as you seem to learn when to shift by the engine note, somthing that i believe happens quicker without having a tacho. Last thing you wanna be doing when you pushing to redline is looking down at a tacho/speedo.

You seem to be a kind of guy that really analyzes things to the extremes.
If i was analysing to the extream, i woulnt of said

no difference in looking at a tacho, and looking at your speedo.

I would of made some of the points youve brought up, and said somthing more along the lines of

While the accuracy is slighlty less when comparing the speedometer to the tachometer due to the smaller sweep, it really isnt any harder at all to watch the speedo compared to the tacho.

So yeah let me know by pm what you find silly or analised to the extream ok.
I think youve been over analysing my opinion.....

Muzz
03-05-2007, 12:36 PM
there's a thread here where someone bought a central locking kit. and the guy said the actuator was already there

see here:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41970&highlight=central+locking+cxi

Just found out that its an optional extra for the cxi:thumbsup:
Sucks not having remote central locking though, i got scratches all around the keyhole:(

steve88
03-05-2007, 12:41 PM
i think they're referring too racing while you're referring to just day-to-day driving

jwakefi0
03-05-2007, 03:18 PM

Its very easy to learn when to shift, basing it on the engine note, ive been doing it for ages now. You just learn when its the right sound to shift. You dont even need to look at your speed..the only reason you do is to make sure u dont go over the speed limit.

thebob
03-05-2007, 08:05 PM
isnt the ep civic K series?

kn1ghtm4r3
03-05-2007, 08:22 PM
the k20 is the ep3 =9 aka civic type R

the rest are like d17 i think

thebob
03-05-2007, 08:24 PM
ahhh ok.

barefootbonzai
04-05-2007, 08:40 AM
I dont really see much of a difference between looking at the speedo and shifting at 50kmh/90kmh, and looking at a tacho and shifting at 7000rpm, yes its going to be silghtly less accurate because of the smaller sweep, but if your watching your tacho to shift exactly on 7000rpm your not paying enough attention to the road IMO.

Yes, thats right the engine note (i suppose road speed also plays a part in helping your sences feel where to shift).

Are you telling me you cant drive your car, and shift pretty much right on the redline without looking down at your tacho???
Im sure you can, as can i and most others who enjoy driving, by listening to the engine......

Obviously you don't race your car. Have you ever taken it down the 1/4 or done circuit racing? Even quick squirts at the lights? There is no way i could get the times i'm getting without a tacho/shiftlift light, there is a reason y in a lot of race cars there is only the tacho and no speedo, it's the most important part when it comes to racing. Especially down the 1/4 where every bit counts, there's no way you can just use the speedo, you won't be able to fully untilise your max rev range with out hitting the rev limiter, or shifting to early and slowing you down.

If you guys are taking about just driving daily like a bitch, that's another story.

barefootbonzai
04-05-2007, 08:43 AM
Its very easy to learn when to shift, basing it on the engine note, ive been doing it for ages now. You just learn when its the right sound to shift. You dont even need to look at your speed..the only reason you do is to make sure u dont go over the speed limit.

i think they're referring too racing while you're referring to just day-to-day driving

what steve said.

Muzz
04-05-2007, 10:50 AM
Obviously you don't race your car. Have you ever taken it down the 1/4 or done circuit racing? Even quick squirts at the lights? There is no way i could get the times i'm getting without a tacho/shiftlift light, there is a reason y in a lot of race cars there is only the tacho and no speedo, it's the most important part when it comes to racing. Especially down the 1/4 where every bit counts, there's no way you can just use the speedo, you won't be able to fully untilise your max rev range with out hitting the rev limiter, or shifting to early and slowing you down.

If you guys are taking about just driving daily like a bitch, that's another story.

Dude relax, wheres this attitude coming from all of a sudden? While no, i havnt done quarter mile runs. I run to redline on a daily basis, is not being down the quarter like you gunna be a dissadvantage reguarding what what were talking about?
Both my brother and father have been involved in motorsport, and i was taught to listen to the engine, and how practicing this will allow you to push to the limits without looking down in the heat of the battle. If you feel youd be hitting the limiter or shifting to early without watching your tacho, then your to reliant on it to begin with. Simple....

I spent about a month with a tacho in my car about half a year ago, having the tacho didnt get me any closer to redline than without, my ears were telling me the exact same thing the tacho was: the engines at its redline.

During that time, just before i removed it, i checked it against the speedo, and guess what, exactly as the manual states redline in 1st occours at 50km/h, redline at second occours exactly at 90km/h. Apart from the smaller sweep range, please inform me why the cars oem tacho is going to be less accurate than the cars speedo, im keen to learn:thumbsup: .

Even with the tacho in, i barly used it, as i have already said, my ears know pretty much exactly when the engines at redline at the exact point id usually shift, i confirmed this also before i got rid of the tacho (seemed to get 10x more police attention with it) i drove without looking at it with my best mate watching it for me, and hey guess what, EVERY SHIFT I MADE WAS PRETTY MUCH EXACTLY THERE ON REDLINE, hence why i got rid of it, watching it wasnt getting me any closer to the redline. The only thing it was doing for me was attracting cops.

There is no way i could get the times i'm getting without a tacho/shiftlift light
Gees what a pity, it must mean i cant too then hey......lol.

My best mate drives a slightly modded swift, we cruise together alot. I consistantly pull very slightly on him through 1st and second, he starts gaining back when i shift to third.

The period that i had a tacho didnt make me faster ONE LITTLE BIT AT ALL in the numerous time we ran together. Having a tacho was just confirming exactly what my hearing was telling me. Maby your ears arnt very fine tuned, ive been playing music my whole life and find using a tach was no more accurate for me.

If you going to reply, please dont forget to answer me this:
Apart from the smaller sweep range, please inform me why the cars oem tacho is going to be less accurate than the cars speedo, im keen to learn:thumbsup: .

Muzz
04-05-2007, 10:55 AM

If your talking about racing, THATS another story......
Please point out to me where the OP mentiond tracking/racing his car.
Also i would really like you to point out where i mentioned that a tacho wouldnt be useful/neccissary in racing.

Ill repeat myself for your ignorance:

All im trying to say, is even though all these features are wonderful and make life a little easier, they really dont impact much at all on the driving experiance, so dont feel bad if you cant get em...

Notice the words "driving experiance", dont confuse that with "racing experiance".

Oh, and that comment you made "why do racing cars use a tacho and not a speedo" thats just down right silly.

As you say they obviously have no concern for road speed, so why would they install a speedometer to determine the redline, especially when a tach has a much larger sweep, and provides the info straight up?

If you havnt got the bitching session out of your system, bring it via PM, this is COMPLETY off topic...

barefootbonzai
04-05-2007, 01:34 PM
FFS whatever man. Guess you wouldn't know cause you drive a piece of shit slow car, so you wouldn't understand. To answer your question about the speedo...

It's like looking at a RSM with Rev's displaying in numbers. Yes it's possible, but you'd have to concentrate on it just like the speedo cause it doesn't change visually that much. With a Rev meter you don't have to concentrate as much cause it moves/changes a lot and you can prepare for the shift with good timing. To further this, that's what a purpose of a shift light is for, even more visual so you don't have to concentrate as much.

And if you read my first post, i stated that a tacho was necessary to drive your car to it's full potential. Ask anyone that drives a quick car, without a tacho/shiftlight of some sort you wouldn't be able to drive your car to it's full potential.

barefootbonzai
04-05-2007, 01:37 PM
Oh, and that comment you made "why do racing cars use a tacho and not a speedo" thats just down right silly.

As you say they obviously have no concern for road speed, so why would they install a speedometer to determine the redline, especially when a tach has a much larger sweep, and provides the info straight up?

If you havnt got the bitching session out of your system, bring it via PM, this is COMPLETY off topic...

lmao, when did i say that anyone would install a speedo to determine redline?

Obviously you couldn't see my point was that a Tacho is important, compared with the race car not having one. I guess with you behind the wheel you could just hear when to shift.

dupac->
04-05-2007, 01:54 PM
[topic] = here

[discussion] = wayyyyyyyyyyy over there ----------------->>>

but yeah i rex shift light would help much more esp when ur fanging it, doesnt matter where 1/4 run/track/lights or even just coming out of KK livo.. would be more precise and accurate to help you prepare for the gear change..
comparing it to listening to the engine note. i dont have a shift light but while giving it a squirt i have a look on the corner of my eye.. at times when ur adrenalin is pumpin the engine note dont really come to play imo. shift light makes u react so there for would be better to get full potential outta the car.

if i missed something and get done for missing something i cbf reading the novel's you guys a writing *gives the finger* just incase.. lmao
my 2c

:p

dupac->
04-05-2007, 02:07 PM
by saying that i wouldnt buy a car without a stock tacho

where its a ek cxi to a ferrari.. the little luxuries get u the most out of the car's performance.

dont buy a cxi, go the gli.. little price difference worth paying for saves the headaches

Muzz
04-05-2007, 02:49 PM
FFS whatever man. Guess you wouldn't know cause you drive a piece of shit slow car, so you wouldn't understand.

Settle down mate.
Thats my point... Its not a fast car, you looking at what im saying in completly the wrong way. Where not talking about a fast, heavily modded car, its a stock non vtec d series FFS. The revs climb slowly, as does the speed lol...

Your interpretting me completly wrong and getting all upset over it.
Im not saying that tachos are completly useless in every car.
Im not saying im never going to need a tacho
Im not saying it wouldnt be a massive benifit in racing.

Im saying with this car (thats what this threads about), its easy enough to get a good idea where the redline is from using the speedo. Its not to much of a dissadvantage, and your ears help in a big way.

Were not talking about your car, where not talking about a race car, where talking about a stock d16y4 civic. OBVIOUSLY its going to be a different story on the track or quarter mile, or on any fast car for that matter, im not disputing that one little bit, open your eyes and read what it is im saying.

ITS NOT TO MUCH OF A DISADVANTAGE IF YOU DONT GET A TACHO FROM THE FACTORY WITH THIS CAR.

Muzz
04-05-2007, 02:50 PM
And if you read my first post, i stated that a tacho was necessary to drive your car to it's full potential. Ask anyone that drives a quick car, without a tacho/shiftlight of some sort you wouldn't be able to drive your car to it's full potential.

Were not talking about a quick car.

Obviously you couldn't see my point was that a Tacho is important, compared with the race car not having one. I guess with you behind the wheel you could just hear when to shift.

where not talking about a race car.

OPEN YOR EYES AND LOOK AT THE TOPIC

It's like looking at a RSM with Rev's displaying in numbers. Yes it's possible, but you'd have to concentrate on it just like the speedo cause it doesn't change visually that much. With a Rev meter you don't have to concentrate as much cause it moves/changes a lot and you can prepare for the shift with good timing.

Im aware that it is less accurate due to its smaller sweep range, ive stated this earlier on. With this car it really isnt that much of a disadvantage, the speed isnt climing fast enough for it to be.....

If you want to continue this complete pointlessness do it through PM.

barefootbonzai
04-05-2007, 03:03 PM
This was my original statement.

There is no way you could drive a car to it's potential without a tacho or shift light of some sort. Looking at your speed will not be accurate enough for you to know when to shift.

Then th.is was your Question to me about me and my car. Everything i wrote after that was in response.

How about you open your eyes.

Muzz
04-05-2007, 03:25 PM
Ok great, its sorted.
How about you answer and say "no, my cars alot more powerful than the car where talking about, the accuracy isnt enough".

Your initial responce, was extremly harsh, of my casual opinion on a cxi without a tacho.

Yeah, its got no tacho, but it didnt take long for me to realise how usless a tacho is on it. Your manual tells you what the maximum safe speeds are for each gear. It i was driving to redline id shift at 50 in 1st, 90 in second and 135 or so in 3rd, no difference in looking at a tacho, and looking at your speedo. These days i barly look down at it as you seem to learn when to shift by the engine note, somthing that i believe happens quicker without having a tacho.

Excuse me for getting pissed of.

Muzz
04-05-2007, 03:38 PM
by saying that i wouldnt buy a car without a stock tacho

where its a ek cxi to a ferrari.. the little luxuries get u the most out of the car's performance.

dont buy a cxi, go the gli.. little price difference worth paying for saves the headaches

Yeah the disk brakes, electric windows, central locking, tacho etc really make it much nicer than a cxi, especially considering how little extra the gli costs:thumbsup:

barefootbonzai
04-05-2007, 03:39 PM
Lmao, not my fault that you raged.

I know you were just trying to help, but i just wanted to point out that tacho is important. That was it, lol.

PS, I own a Cxi, and i went down the 1/4 without a tacho and then went back with a tacho. The difference was a lot, and that was my whole point yet you disagreed and wanted and wanted to argue.

Muzz
04-05-2007, 03:44 PM
Im wasnt gunna sit here and watch you attack my harmless opinion again and again taking it out of context, i was responding too you....

I know you were just trying to help, but i just wanted to point out that tacho is important. That was it, lol.

You seem to be a kind of guy that really analyzes things to the extremes. But this statement of yours is just plan silly.

You certainly accieved that in the rudest most offensive way you could.....
BS i started the argument!

But its over now man, forget it.

steve88
04-05-2007, 07:39 PM
CXi's and GLi's cost very similar these days, sub $1k difference

Muzz
04-05-2007, 07:43 PM
yeh i know when i was looking for my car it was definatly a better deal to go gli:thumbsup:

Went with a cxi though cus the particular was such a good steal for the condition and ks:thumbsup:

James The Wog
23-05-2007, 07:39 PM
hold the fone. 2 questions for all you helpful pplz. can a D16Y4 b turboed? and..............................oh now i rember whats the engine code for the vti-r? man u guys have talked me into buying one and i dont even have me p plates, wooo 5 days 2 go.
cheers

JohnnyVtec
23-05-2007, 08:27 PM
hold the fone. 2 questions for all you helpful pplz. can a D16Y4 b turboed?
2. and..............................oh now i rember whats the engine code for the vti-r? man u guys have talked me into buying one and i dont even have me p plates, wooo 5 days 2 go.
cheers

1.Yes
2. B16a2

:thumbsup:

PS. Muzz&BFB will you two just race and get it over with, LOL :p

Muzz
23-05-2007, 10:42 PM
lol, wait until i install a tacho ok, since i dont have one i must be hittin the limiter or shifting way to early to be able to push the car hard....

hahhahahah:p

rivergod
24-05-2007, 05:46 PM
were you after power?> or looks? fuel economy? of course if your'e after looks, just get the cheapest lowest model with the lowest K's

if you want power, get a SOHC and turbocharge that bastard

if fuel economy, get any of them - and dont turbocharge =P