PDA

View Full Version : GruppeM DC5 R&S issues

EL_DC5
01-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Has anybody had any issue with there GruppeM???

vincent
01-05-2007, 02:40 PM
Try ClubITR , Post it in the Technical, you might get better responce.

Mattski_VTIR
01-05-2007, 02:47 PM
I installed my GruppeM on my Type S about a week ago and haven't had any troubles at all (it is the facelifted model). I do recommend buying some foam tape and fitting it under the replacement cowl, as well as the strut brace. This took 5 minutes and got rid of any Vibration/Rattles issues that people talk off. Apart from that it was easy to install and performes/looks great!
Hope that helps

XP02ED
01-05-2007, 02:55 PM
i had a few problems with rattles, but yeh went to bunnings and tape the top of the bonet which it hits, the strun brace. and near the injector wires..

and on my K&N piping other than that its no problem. it has been raining for 2 days! and no problem ;D

[RSX 03]
01-05-2007, 04:36 PM
the only problem i had with the gruppe m, was the rattle to my bonnet, easily solved if you re-locate the hose.

EL_DC5
01-05-2007, 04:56 PM
i had a few problems with rattles, but yeh went to bunnings and tape the top of the bonet which it hits, the strun brace. and near the injector wires..

and on my K&N piping other than that its no problem. it has been raining for 2 days! and no problem ;D

Is the K&N piping better? Is there proof?

XP02ED
01-05-2007, 10:39 PM
no proof, i placed it coz i had it hehe more bling but hey duno about difference

u might experience problems with injector and sensors wires in the way of the intake which may cut the wire or blow a fuse, :D

Mattski_VTIR
02-05-2007, 11:39 AM
Just to note guys, the two large metal "O claps" that attach the carbon fiber piece to the bracket may knock and rub if there on the left side (facing engine). By swapping them around and putting them to the right side (the thread that u tighten up) u will eliminate this problem. Just something to keep in mind when installing.

XP02ED
02-05-2007, 01:12 PM
yup, had my first problem last night! HAHAH the injector wire had a small splice which look like busted the fuse,

replaced the fuse taped it up, swapped it around to be on the right side, and should be good now :D

EL_DC5
02-05-2007, 01:38 PM
yup, had my first problem last night! HAHAH the injector wire had a small splice which look like busted the fuse,

replaced the fuse taped it up, swapped it around to be on the right side, and should be good now :D

Fuse? Injector? please explain I have yet to see one up close, u got pics

XP02ED
02-05-2007, 01:40 PM
no pics sorry,

basically the injector wires are on the side of the engine bay, which my gruppem clamps were rubbing against, i guess to much taking it off etc and putting it on it spliced the line which blew a fuse and car didint start,

so i just swapped the clamp the other way, u actually need to get one to see what i mean otherwise its hard to picture :D

EL_DC5
02-05-2007, 02:55 PM
LOL Your Kidding.

EL_DC5
03-05-2007, 11:52 AM
Where does the water go? when it rains.

XP02ED
03-05-2007, 11:58 AM
look at this post covers all that : http://ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65350

Mattski_VTIR
03-05-2007, 12:00 PM
There is a hole in the bottom off the intake (about the size of a 5 cent piece) Due to the shape of the intake it would take a tremendous amount of water to over whelm the drain point and cause any damage to the engine (i mean alot of water ;) ) :thumbsup:

didz
03-05-2007, 12:05 PM
There is a hole in the bottom off the intake (about the size of a 5 cent piece) Due to the shape of the intake it would take a tremendous amount of water to over whelm the drain point and cause any damage to the engine (i mean alot of water ;) ) :thumbsup:

So when i wash my car and the high pressure hose goes across the windshield and it sprays into the intake, its not going to affect it?

(hypothetical)

Mattski_VTIR
03-05-2007, 12:10 PM
I doubt it, a little bit of water is not going to cause damage (i.e rain / hose) as it will drain out before enough can build up around the filter. The only way to hydrolock the engine is to completly submerge the intake in water, so just don't drive into a river ;)

mikul_ha
03-05-2007, 12:21 PM
I dont think it will affect it. Im running an injen at the moment ( still waiting on the group buy for a gruppem :) ) and consider this, I've driven through heavy rain and puddles, washed my car with high pressure hoses and never came across a problem. I think the gruppem is way more safer then the injen.

Also met amir from raceborn, and we also had this same discussion, he or his friend has poured a bottle of water down the scoop and nothing happened. Water just fell through the hole.

btw, if you still scared, aim the hose AWAY from the scoop :)

didz
03-05-2007, 04:39 PM
I dont think it will affect it. Im running an injen at the moment ( still waiting on the group buy for a gruppem :) ) and consider this, I've driven through heavy rain and puddles, washed my car with high pressure hoses and never came across a problem. I think the gruppem is way more safer then the injen.

Also met amir from raceborn, and we also had this same discussion, he or his friend has poured a bottle of water down the scoop and nothing happened. Water just fell through the hole.

btw, if you still scared, aim the hose AWAY from the scoop :)
AHAHA im not scared just curious. I am thinkign seriously of gettin a gruppe M. Can someone post pics of the insides of the intake? maybe showing the "drain hole" and where the filter sits so i can get a good idea of how water can't affect it. IN regards to washing cars i was also thinking of the soap gettin into the intake and possibly on the filter. It sounds like it wont affect it but i would love to see some pics of the insides.

XP02ED
03-05-2007, 08:24 PM
the drain hole is about the size of a 5 cent coin..

at the bottom of the box, its like a bowl , the filter sits vertically, try putting a hose straight to it.. it wont do nothing

Ray_mon
03-05-2007, 10:39 PM
whats better though? a gruppe M or CAI? in terms of gains :D

XP02ED
03-05-2007, 10:55 PM
cant test gruppem on dyno as it needs car to ram into air ;D

although gruppem is top of the line from what ive researched

EL_DC5
04-05-2007, 10:52 AM
isn't a GruppeM a CAI since it get cool fresh air from out side, Rams it in, no sexual connotation intended.

mikul_ha
04-05-2007, 11:26 AM
gruppems are short ram intakes (SRI), only difference to other SRI's is that it has a heat shield box and the scoop. example of a CAI is an injen, a pipe running from the throttle body down to the front bumper where the filter sits.

SRI's are more responsive then CAI's, as the length of the pipe is shorter. But a CAI will give better gains when you hit the top end as cooler air is getting sucked in compared to a SRI which sits inside the engine bay and sucks in hot air (heatsoak).

The gruppem is considered the best intake off the shelf for the dc5r because it has the response of a SRI, and works like a CAI ie sucking in cold air via the scoop. The heat shield box also helps!

I think thats right lol dont quote me ..

EL_DC5
07-05-2007, 03:13 PM
gruppems are short ram intakes (SRI), only difference to other SRI's is that it has a heat shield box and the scoop. example of a CAI is an injen, a pipe running from the throttle body down to the front bumper where the filter sits.

SRI's are more responsive then CAI's, as the length of the pipe is shorter. But a CAI will give better gains when you hit the top end as cooler air is getting sucked in compared to a SRI which sits inside the engine bay and sucks in hot air (heatsoak).

The gruppem is considered the best intake off the shelf for the dc5r because it has the response of a SRI, and works like a CAI ie sucking in cold air via the scoop. The heat shield box also helps!

I think thats right lol dont quote me ..

so can i effectively call it a SRCAI :confused: LOL

aaronng
07-05-2007, 04:30 PM
Cold air-fed SRI. That's a CASRI? haha

EL_DC5
11-05-2007, 02:20 PM
im getting mine next week

Hullabaloo
25-06-2008, 03:19 PM
ok digging up and old thread... so quite a few people had these on their cars for some time now. anyone had any other problems? I've heard of some BMW owners having problems with the MAF sensor after they installed gruppeM intakes on their cars (yes i know it's a different design and car though).

XP02ED
25-06-2008, 03:26 PM
the sensor on the gruppem for a dc5 model doesn't get touched and i had it for about a year without 1 problem.

chargeR
25-06-2008, 04:51 PM
ok digging up and old thread... so quite a few people had these on their cars for some time now. anyone had any other problems? I've heard of some BMW owners having problems with the MAF sensor after they installed gruppeM intakes on their cars (yes i know it's a different design and car though).

This is probably due to them over oiling the K & N filter that Gruppe M intakes use and the excess oil messing up a hot wire style MAF. This does not apply to any of our Honda's as far as I know because we do not have airflow meters generally.

I have had my Gruppe M on for over 2 years and the only problem I had was that the aluminium heat shield snapped in half when I was taking it out once.