PDA

View Full Version : mounting portable GPS

terryansimon
02-05-2007, 03:17 AM
I've tried searching the forums for this.... but have not come out with anything regarding the mounting.

except that I should take it off before I leave the car to prevent would-be-thieves from being attracted to the car.

however, my question is....

where else can I mount the GPS apart from the windscreen itself? I honestly do not like the mark it leaves on the screen when I remove the suction mount *yes, I'm quite anal about that. sorry*

I've tried to stick it onto the CD cover compartment's front, but it just slides off after a while.... I even tried sticking it over my tachometer... but that also creates that awful suction ring mark that I detest.

so, any useful suggestions? *apart from holding it in my hands, or drilling holes onto the dash*

and oh, I use the TomTom One with its standard mounts.... if that helps in the suggestions area.

tony1234
02-05-2007, 07:18 AM
Go to good car audio shop and ask them for suggestions.:)

dupac->
02-05-2007, 07:25 AM
you've really left yourself with no choice there..

you dont want to stick it on the windscreen, dont wanna drill holes in the dash you really dont have anywhere else to put it man. it sticks on any glassey surface and wil always leave a mark..

my suggestion leave it at home :p and use a street directory!

J-TODA
02-05-2007, 08:45 AM
perhaps using some double sided tape or blue-tak ( there is one type whereby comes in small squares and holds very well cant remember the name though ) and stick it onto ur dash or wherever u want to put it....should b able stick to the dash and can be removed with minimal markings

terryansimon
02-05-2007, 09:33 AM
yeah maybe I should stop being so fussy. :P

but I've had horrible experience with my previous car with the mounting. repeated uses just seem to leave multiple layers of those rings which, over time, serve to be more of a driving distraction than anything else. and cleaning it took forever. also doesn't help when you have sweaty palms/fingers, and removing the item causes even more smearing. :(

but oh well. will head down to like. Autobarn or JB Hifi and ask around for their suggestions. if not, it'd be a case of me having a tint safe window cleaner in my car at all times then!

thanks folks. (=

sendok
02-05-2007, 10:07 AM
I believe so many people put this in the glass in the middle or right hand.. but they are small GPS.. one thing you must consider.. be careful, coz theft often see the GPS stand, and they broke in... hopefully not!! :D

terryansimon
02-05-2007, 03:38 PM
I believe so many people put this in the glass in the middle or right hand.. but they are small GPS.. one thing you must consider.. be careful, coz theft often see the GPS stand, and they broke in... hopefully not!! :D
yeah I know a lot of people put it in the middle or on the right near the driver.

but like I said, I'm anal about seeing those marks left behind from the suction cup. and also I've got something in the centre of the dashboard area already *something like my trademark. shall not reveal it. heh!* hence placing it in the middle will be a bit bothersome.

but nevermind. I shall stop being that anal and just put it on the windscreen. and then wipe the suction mark/finger stains from my sweaty palms off the windscreen when it gets to me.

PS.

my previous car got broken into coz they saw the GPS mount still being stuck on the windscreen. hence.... my aversion to it. =(

sendok
02-05-2007, 04:10 PM
yeah I know a lot of people put it in the middle or on the right near the driver.

but like I said, I'm anal about seeing those marks left behind from the suction cup. and also I've got something in the centre of the dashboard area already *something like my trademark. shall not reveal it. heh!* hence placing it in the middle will be a bit bothersome.

but nevermind. I shall stop being that anal and just put it on the windscreen. and then wipe the suction mark/finger stains from my sweaty palms off the windscreen when it gets to me.

PS.

my previous car got broken into coz they saw the GPS mount still being stuck on the windscreen. hence.... my aversion to it. =(

yeah.. or another option you put under the dash.. but there is no point putting GPS under and you cant really good see the map and the road.. lolz.. :D good luck anyway!

enkay
02-05-2007, 06:31 PM
haha yer i would b careful bout having a gps mount as a friend of mine had his car broken in cos of it (luckily nothing in the car at that time)

NeoNode
02-05-2007, 10:55 PM
Use 3M command strips.

ZYL11A
03-05-2007, 04:35 PM
You could try and get a cradle that clips onto the side of console.
I managed to get one for my Navman Pin. No holes drilled and it sits on the passenger side of the console next to where the gear shift is.

I had an extra cigarette power output installed under the dash and all the power wiring is hidden so I dont have any power cords for the Navman showing at all. It looks very neat and professional.

You might want to check something like that out.

sakinah
03-05-2007, 08:13 PM
i just bought this:
http://www.kioskcommunications.com.au/kiosk/ProductDetail.asp?tid=2&cid=23&mid=151&pid=253

terryansimon
04-05-2007, 01:18 AM
i just bought this:
http://www.kioskcommunications.com.au/kiosk/ProductDetail.asp?tid=2&cid=23&mid=151&pid=253

okay pardon my ignorance.... but how do I mount my GPS onto the ClicOn thing? assuming I already installed it onto the car, etc...

sorry just can't figure it out :(

also does puttng the ClicOn mount inbetween the dash trim cause the trim to widen permanently? meaning, would it cause an indentation as a result?

tony1234
04-05-2007, 07:39 AM
i just bought this:
Looks good.BUT, it still leaves you with a bracket that i assume you cannot remove easily and that thieves will think is a GPS mount!and we all know what will happen from there.:(

tron07
04-05-2007, 09:53 AM
I mount mine inside the CD compartment, fashion a simple stand/bracket for it..... mine can get a signal there, so it works. After using, just close the door.

sendok
04-05-2007, 10:39 AM
I mount mine inside the CD compartment, fashion a simple stand/bracket for it..... mine can get a signal there, so it works. After using, just close the door.

that's pretty good place to put on... :D

sakinah
04-05-2007, 04:49 PM
well if you already permanently mounted your gps already, than the clic on mount wont help.

The clic on mount is hard to see from outside if you have tinting, i can barely see anything there from outside. Much better than having a mount on the windscreen.

my tomtom 710 has the speakers on the back and so by putting it in the cd compartment, i cant hear it properly. And its not easy to see there, not in your line of view, you have to look down. not good when driving

i wanted a total mounting solution. so i am going to use clic on mount and gps holder. Power, mic, ipod plug will all be integrated to the cars main system. So i just plonk the tomtom on the holder and it will charge, be connected to the mic and ipod plug and be heard through the cars speakers

tron07
07-05-2007, 12:42 PM
The clie mount might makes a huge gap when you remove them... big no no for me....

Anyway, its quite difficult to see the GPS in the CD case when the sun is shining directly into your face... but then I can always pull it out as it is just resting there. The charging cables goes in the the back when not in use.