PDA

View Full Version : Civic 06/07 Stereo Issue

Whispaa
02-05-2007, 03:18 PM
My Civic Sport CD player has a burnt CD(MP3's) stuck in there :(

Contacted the Service department of the Dealer I got the car from and they said that they'd fix it first time under warranty/as a good will for free.

However, they'll charge should it happen again because it costs them quiet a bit as they take everything out etc (Which is understandable)

My questions being:
- Am I voiding my warranty if I'm using a burnt CD (with no labels, just text written on by a marker)? How can they prove that a burnt CD caused the break down?
- Are there noticeable differences between a burnt CD and an audio cd bought from a store?
- Are there any precautions, besides not using burnt MP3 CDs, that I can take to avoid this going forward?

What's the use of having an MP3 player if you can't use your own MP3 CDs... How many retail MP3 CD's are there out there for sale :confused:

I recall reading a post/thread about someone having this issue but it fixed itself after a few days.
Did a search in by using Stereo & Player but couldn't find anything in relation to the above :(

kn_19_ht
02-05-2007, 03:29 PM
hi there man!!..

i was driving in my civic VTi a few weeks back..wen i tried going to a different folder..playing an mp3 cd obviously..anyway..it took sometime 2 change folder..and then..nothing..display went to clock..and i tried to take the cd out..and it didnt allow me..

after a few attempts while driving..i tried turning the cd player on and off....all of which didnt work..after about 5 minutes..of thinking..ive got my cd stuck in there..it ejected..=)

i dont think i can answer the questions that u asked..bt i wouldnt think that playing mp3 cd's would void ur warranty..

hope this is of some help..

My Civic Sport CD player has a burnt CD(MP3's) stuck in there :(

Contacted the Service department of the Dealer I got the car from and they said that they'd fix it first time under warranty/as a good will for free.

However, they'll charge should it happen again because it costs them quiet a bit as they take everything out etc (Which is understandable)

My questions being:
- Am I voiding my warranty if I'm using a burnt CD (with no labels, just text written on by a marker)? How can they prove that a burnt CD caused the break down?
- Are there noticeable differences between a burnt CD and an audio cd bought from a store?
- Are there any precautions, besides not using burnt MP3 CDs, that I can take to avoid this going forward?

What's the use of having an MP3 player if you can't use your own MP3 CDs... How many retail MP3 CD's are there out there for sale :confused:

I recall reading a post/thread about someone having this issue but it fixed itself after a few days.
Did a search in by using Stereo & Player but couldn't find anything in relation to the above :(

terryansimon
02-05-2007, 03:43 PM
My questions being:

can't help you on your first point. don't know how it works here....

second point... there is a slight difference amongst all CDs, regardless of whether it's burnt or original from the music store. that difference is the thickness of the CD media itself. varies from brand to brand. I don't know what the average thickness of each media is, though. but I do know that there is a difference. (=

third point.... you can use burnt CDs, but don't use any with labels on it. labels meaning the ones you create on your own computer and have them print out. while you can do that, it may actually increase the odds of it getting stuck in the player due to irreuglar width. I know for my old external DVD burner from Iomega, it could only recognise branded media and no brandless/cheap mediums. I don't know if this can be extrapolated into car players as well.... but could be worth a shot?

hope it helps in alleviating some of your issues? (=

Whispaa
02-05-2007, 03:45 PM

Thanks kn_19_ht, but mine displays MECH error or something on the screen.

It's been that way for a couple of weeks now... Will need to take it in soon o.0

I've hit all the buttons I can and nothing will happen... at least the radio still works! But becareful, there may be specific stations that you can't listen to otherwise it'll ruin your stereo... :p

Whispaa
02-05-2007, 03:49 PM
hope it helps in alleviating some of your issues? (=

Cheers terry. Any idea what type of blanks that would be the thinnest?

I don't do labels for the mentioned reason :thumbsup:

I've heard that there are differences between the width of the CD's, thanks for confirming that.

chylld
02-05-2007, 06:34 PM

Whispaa, this attitude of the dealer's is totally unacceptable. yes it may take them a long time to take it apart, but the stereo is part of the car and should be covered under your new car warranty. if it happens again, tell them to fix it under warranty again. you absolutely do not have to pay them a cent to have them fix a faulty product that they sold to you.

bangers178
03-05-2007, 12:56 AM
i had that problem before, check if the cd had grease on it (from dirtyhands) casue that makes it stick inside. dunno y but it does. becasue i had that problem before and when they took it out they said it was becasue the cd was dirty...and i did recall eat maccas in the car that day.
cheers

chickenisme
03-05-2007, 03:18 PM
I have a $70 plain DVD player at home and a second hand $700 retail DVD Recorder / VCR. Often my recorder will not read rental DVD'd but the cheap DVD player will. If I had bought the Recorder new I would have returned it for warranty already.

My point is that my DVD recorder is having issues with manufactured DVD's. Based on this I don't believe it should matter if you are using burnt CD's or manufactured CD's.

For my way of thinking it would be like a home DVD player, if this is happening with ANY CD's that have not got stick-on labels on then then it is covered by warranty.

miffers
04-05-2007, 08:34 AM
I had my car for three days when my CD player carked it! (this was back in August 06) The stacker was stuffed and they had to replace the whole unit. They changed the unit under the warranty but I'm thinking it had something to do with the burnt discs that were in there. The stacker seems a bit fragile.

sendok
04-05-2007, 10:49 AM
It's really good playing CD not mp3.. sometimes it got stuck.. and even you must spend $$$ to take it out.. but go to DEALER and sometimes they take it out for free.. :D

kid_dynamite
04-05-2007, 12:38 PM
I can check when I get home but pretty sure there's a warning in the owners manual about using burnt CDs for this reason (variations in condition, labels, etc).

//edit: Quickly had a look through 06 manual. It says to only use good quality CDs. My guess is that if you are continually using burnt CDs and getting them stuck, the dealer will just say you're not using good quality discs, and have offered to sort it out the first time for your benefit. Regardless that it doesn't have a label, CDRs come in varying quality at times. In the manual however it does show you a couple of things you can do to try and reduce the likelihood of things like this happening (eg going around the inner circle with a pencil etc).

Datuk
04-05-2007, 07:24 PM
It happen to me as well when I first got my car

MKI4EVA
06-05-2007, 09:46 AM
same.........but on ours it just fixed itself after a full week of not working at all. Now it plays burnt CD"s fine.

johnprocter
06-05-2007, 09:58 AM
When you buy a CD from a shop your legally allowed to make ONE back up copy of it.. so you can just say thats all you have to say its just a back up copy of your original CD so shit like that (getting stuck in CD player) doesn't mean you have to buy a new CD. plus who gives a **** everyone burns music these days

JaCe
06-05-2007, 11:00 PM
I just thought I'd add my VTi-L has had no problems with the stacker and burnt CDs...

steve88
07-05-2007, 09:33 AM
my sisters CR-V plays burnt CD's fine. my mums A180 merc doesnt though, struggles too read it but never jams. these new cars have shitty decks lol

JaCe
11-05-2007, 08:01 PM
The only downside with the Civic stacker is it's a bit noisy, but it's a small price to pay for the system which works really well. I've had bad experiences with not so userfriendly systems in other cars and whilst there's room for improvement (eg. chinese/unicode support), I quite like it and prefer it to alot of the cheaper (ie. not the flagship) aftermarket head units.

dmx
11-05-2007, 08:04 PM
That HU could play mp3/wma songs, if not from burn cd, how can we play mp3 or wma songs in that HU ?:confused: :confused: :confused:

tanoshii
14-05-2007, 06:11 PM
My player is having the same problem right now in my 06 Sport. I ejected a cd from the stacker and it came out fine... but it remained in the eject mode and has stayed that way ever since. It seems as if the unit thinks there's still a cd from the current slot even when it's already been ejected. There was nothing I could do to stop it from trying to eject nothing... so I've resorted to buying a FM transmitter for my ipod instead.

Recently took it to my local dealer and they said exactly the same - i.e. i shouldn't use burnt CDs but they will replace the unit the first time round. If it happens again, they will charge for the replacement. It is all a bit ridiculous that the stacker is mp3/wma compatible but they warn us about using burnt cds... and it's not like I've been using cheap quality CDRs anyway... all of them are high quality TDK discs. Guess I'll be using the FM transmitter from now on.

An interesting bit of info... my dealer actually ordered a replacement stacker system from Alpine. Is it safe to assume that the 8th Gen Civic's standard audio unit is actually an Alpine unit?

ozR18
14-05-2007, 09:15 PM
hi there man!!..

i was driving in my civic VTi a few weeks back..wen i tried going to a different folder..playing an mp3 cd obviously..anyway..it took sometime 2 change folder..and then..nothing..display went to clock..and i tried to take the cd out..and it didnt allow me..

after a few attempts while driving..i tried turning the cd player on and off....all of which didnt work..after about 5 minutes..of thinking..ive got my cd stuck in there..it ejected..=)

i dont think i can answer the questions that u asked..bt i wouldnt think that playing mp3 cd's would void ur warranty..

exact same problem...appox 5 mins the cd ejected by itself

chickenisme
15-05-2007, 09:31 AM
Got my Civic VTI-L on Tuesday, stacker worked fine on Wednesday and Thursday all orginal CD's. Did not use the stacker on Friday or Saturday. Sunday the Stacker just kept coming up with "LOAD", then eventually after switching from radio to stacker many times it came up with Mech Error and had loud strange mechanical sounds like it was having issues moving the CDs. Monday night had my 2 year old in the car while waxing the car, some how she got all the CDs out and now it is working again.

Note: I used all orginals.