PDA

View Full Version : Performance Tunig

SPQR
02-05-2007, 10:26 PM
Hello Friends. Many years ago I had a Mazda GT-X Turbo AWD that had 11psi standard boost. Chiptorque in Queensland helped to modify the ECU to enable boost of up to 19psi. The car appeared in an early 1997 issue of Fast Fours and Rotaries.

I have recently been communicating again with Lachlan Riddel of Chiptorque and asked him if he was interested in having a go at the Euro ECU. He needs to guage interest. The following is an extract from an email from him:

"Hey Ross,
I did check the posts but I'm not sure I understood IF there's actually a product you can buy from Hondata and at what cost. I have tuned a Civic turbo with the Hondata product, but the whole Honda/Acura range is largely unresearched by us. I do know from some work back in the days of Dave Woods 'Group N' S2000 and Integra Type R, that the original programming is often very close to the limit of achievable power and torque for a naturally aspirated engines even with intake and exhaust mods. That is however a very broad generalisation.

Put simply. Our XEDE interceptor www.xede.com.au fits most things and can adjust to about a 30% change in torque/power. It can't change rev limits. If anyone wants to book in at Nerang and have us install one on their Honda (Euro's or other) we'll do so and see what we can get out of them. The cost will be approx $1400 - $1500 and we'll need the car probably 2 days maybe 3. While I think of it, does Jackson Racing do a supercharger kit for your model?

The Flash plan as I outlined previously may be some time away as we want to finish and release Mitsubishi and Subaru tuning versions of it first. If however, anyone wants to pull their ECU out to let us have a detailed look for a day to start our preliminary research, we'll be happy to have a look. It depens mostly on which microProcessor family it uses as to the degree of difficulty. I do have some friends inside a couple of Honda dealers who are occasionally helpful with wiring diagrams etc.

Cheers
Lachlan"

Chiptorque is located at:
3/10 Lawrence Drive
Nerang Queensland
Gold Coast Australia
Ph. 07 5596 4204
www.chiptorque.com.au
sales@chiptorque.com.au

As I am in Darwin, it's just a bit too far for me to drive without taking annual leave (not that I get any of that anymore). Come-on all you Queenslanders. Have a go! Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Vinnie
02-05-2007, 10:44 PM
um, bit of an advert :/ lol

SPQR
02-05-2007, 11:58 PM
I thought you guys might be interested in a performance tuning lead. I did not intend it as an advert. It was posted in good faith.

BiLL|z0r
03-05-2007, 06:25 AM
hmmm, I live only a couple km's from ChipTorque. Dun wanna loose my car like PeeKay has though I need it almost everyday.

Merlin086
03-05-2007, 06:27 AM
Ross,
I'm 1/2 hr down the road from Nerang, might contact Lachlan to suss it out further.

Let you know the outcome. Hows the 17" rims going?

SPQR
03-05-2007, 08:20 PM
I still like the rims. Thanks! The Dunlop SportMaxx tyres just seem to get better as they wear.

I hope that Lachlan can do something with the Euro as it's proving a tough nut to crack to date.

Merlin086
04-05-2007, 06:04 AM
It seems it's in the too hard basket for most with the drive ny wire throttle etc.
Where's all the genius kid hackers when you need them!..........lol
What size Sportmaxx r u running?..225/45?

kraiye
04-05-2007, 07:01 AM
hmm personally i dont like the thought of having to part with my car maybe 3 days and paying them so they can play/experiment with it.
Understandably you have to pay for the product and a lil extra for your gains but how much is that? I see it as doing THEM a favour.

Merlin086
04-05-2007, 07:48 AM
...and with hondata so cloe to release......lol

SPQR
04-05-2007, 05:39 PM
Mal, the correct size is 225/45 in 17 inch for the Australian market. The TSX uses 215/50; which is a slightly larger diameter to soften the ride for the North American market soft bottoms. lol

Krayie, it seems to me that its people like us that want power upgrades. There are no favours apart, perhaps, for a discount for the first guinea pig. The business is there to make money or at least cover costs.

I had to pay when I had the rear anti-sway bar made by Whiteline. It was, however, less than what everyone else pays since. As the guinea pig, the reward was a discount. I am grateful that Whiteline will custom make anti-sway bars. Yes it then offers the product to others for money and profit.

Cracking ECU's is difficult and time consuming; and in some cases practically impossible.