PDA

View Full Version : RE: Is D2 coilover good?

chrisyuym
02-05-2007, 11:10 PM
I heard from someone said D2 coilover leaks very easily, is it true? is it a reliable brand? thx!

[RSX 03]
02-05-2007, 11:20 PM
D2, stay away from them.

-xsi gal-
02-05-2007, 11:26 PM
can u state a reason why to stay away?

panda[cRx]
02-05-2007, 11:30 PM
;1154334']D2, stay away from them.

some people have used em with no problems, they aint THAT bad

ACTI0NMAN-1
02-05-2007, 11:44 PM
i use them and they are great. yet to meet someone who actually had a problem.
heard the odd story, but every item has its minority.

CTR Coupe
03-05-2007, 12:17 AM
you get what you pay for. plenty of horror stories out there about them.

typed d2 problems into Google and got this and another 100-200 like it.

these D2 coilovers have given me nothing but trouble. Took me 4 months to get em from Taiwan, and slapped em on. No problems for about 3 months, then all of a sudden when it is cold, I get an awful crunch sound from them. It literaly sounded like I was driving on landmines, ppl would look at my car 2 blocks away. The drive was so loud, you would hear nothing but those clunks and crunches. whenever someone rode with me, they were scared. So it turns out the shipment I had, the shocks were defective. They traced it to the new manufacturer they were using, and were issueing out replacement shocks. So D2s basically issued out a recall, that is if you bought them within a year and they were under warranty (so it didn't really make a difference, since it came with a year warranty. Yet, if it was a year + 1 day they would not have sent you replacement shocks). Even though they were under warranty, I still had to pay $50 for the replacement shocks :headshake :disappoin . Well I had no choice, so I paid the $50, + $300 deposit and i would get that deposit back once I sent back my defective batch of shocks.

I get my replacement shocks, pay for installation for someone to slap em on. No more sound! But alas, not all is good. It turns out the teflon coating on the springs suck ass. The top and bottom part have been rubbing, so everytime I turn the steering wheel, it makes clunking sounds. SO now I gotta fix that, not sure how yet, but hopefully i'll be able to eliminate the trouble these coilovers have given me. These coilovers are also bouncy as well.

So I hope i enlightened you, stay away from this crappy taiwanese company. I've ridden in my friend's coilovers, and I think the best choice would be SPL KTS coilovers if I had the choice now. WHen I bought the D2s, they were new, supposedly had great reviews from drifters in Japan as well as the first 2 group buys (I was in the third). But now that they are out longer, they are being proven to be shitty.

its been covered time and time again they are cheep for a reason.

civicVI
03-05-2007, 12:20 AM
how cheap are D2?!

m3ntAL_l2
03-05-2007, 12:26 AM
d2 is not that cheap.... ~$1300+, y not add another 200 or sutmhing and get teins

G-Stick
03-05-2007, 12:43 AM
m3ntAL_l2 is right pay abit extra and get quality stuff. ive have friends who have d2s and its starting to f*** up.

m3ntAL_l2
03-05-2007, 12:51 AM
^^^is this who i think its?? lol

G-Stick
03-05-2007, 12:53 AM
nah its not johnno i dont think. but his is getting pretty bouncy.

-MuGen PoWer-
03-05-2007, 11:18 AM
what about HSD? any stories about them

NeRV
03-05-2007, 01:36 PM
;1154334']D2, stay away from them.

Personal experience?

barefootbonzai
03-05-2007, 03:55 PM
Coilovers in general are pretty expensive. So if you're gonna spend big might as well make it count. If it was me i would definitely spend a little more on a brand i can trust like Cusco, Zeal etc...

ACTI0NMAN-1
03-05-2007, 10:23 PM
such a lack of personal experience.

i have D2s and have no prolems at all.

NeRV
03-05-2007, 10:47 PM
such a lack of personal experience.

i have D2s and have no prolems at all.

I agree man, i have them aswell.

e240
07-05-2007, 02:48 PM
do you guys found that every time a while you need to tight up all the shockies parts, because i got D2 and it's loose every now and then, making a strange noise, I'd say (1500km).
I'm pretty sure they were tight enough. but still don't know why it always happen. it makes me sick of Coilover.

I never had to re-tighten after installing.
Try this, once the coilovers are bolted in place in the car, use the c spanners and tighten them.

ricki_kalsi
07-05-2007, 04:09 PM
IMO Run and Hide! :)

DreadAngel
07-05-2007, 04:26 PM
For the period of time I had them, I had no problems either :)

Very satisfied with them

Xplodin
07-05-2007, 04:30 PM
nah its not johnno i dont think. but his is getting pretty bouncy.
I have D2's Not a problem for wat i'm using it for. Yes true i am gettin to apoint where they are pretty bouncy, but i've got room to move with them. If u were going for coilovers and dont want to track or anything like that yeah i'd get them save the extra 200 bucks for somthing else.

ACTI0NMAN-1
07-05-2007, 05:56 PM
maybe ou didnt tighten the coil rings against eachother enough. thats usually the only way they can come loose.

jdm_kid
07-05-2007, 06:38 PM
what about HSD? any stories about them

i heard they feel better than D2s from another OH member

ACTI0NMAN-1
07-05-2007, 08:59 PM
try dabbing a little bit of low grade loctite liquid.

turtleEK1
07-05-2007, 09:07 PM
used them and tracked them for 2 years now... no problems!

the ones that leak are an older version... apparantly were meant to get recalled.

newer models don't leak or have any issues... they're made in the same factory as many other coilovers in the same price range... and haven't heard of any other coilovers with these same 'problems'.

narut0
07-05-2007, 10:15 PM
Research other coilover brands so you can compare. Brands like Apexi, BuddyClub, Edelbrock, Eibach, HKS, JicMagic, Koni, Neuspeed, Skunk2, Tanabe, Tein, Tokico and many more I guess. Brands mentioned here sells in the USA and have a model for your 95 civic and some are even cheaper than D2.

[RSX 03]
07-05-2007, 10:33 PM
Personal experience?

Nop, Just heard ALOT of really bad things about them. Just my 2 Cent.

chingaling
09-05-2007, 10:32 AM
used them and tracked them for 2 years now... no problems!

the ones that leak are an older version... apparantly were meant to get recalled.

newer models don't leak or have any issues... they're made in the same factory as many other coilovers in the same price range... and haven't heard of any other coilovers with these same 'problems'.

i heard they alot of shocks and coilovers are generaally made by KYB .. even Cucso lower versions but they all work great.. so shouldn't worry too much .. ;)

czy_sol87
09-05-2007, 10:27 PM
i've got D2 coilovers as well and not had a single problem with them
been on the car for more than 6months now(with regular hard driving) and still goin strong

i'm very satisfied with what i've got, mate has tein ss and my D2's are much stiffer than what his got(if thats what ur after)

ACTI0NMAN-1
10-05-2007, 09:47 AM
I heard from someone said D2 coilover leaks very easily, is it true? is it a reliable brand? thx!

to answer the original question. not true
and all the series developed after the problem series are reliable.

didz
11-05-2007, 10:23 AM
HSD/D2 they are similar and can be prone to break. (Info sourced from an importer i know.) It's like other mods, you want cheap you get cheap.

barefootbonzai
11-05-2007, 11:17 AM
Nar man, it's you pay peanuts you get monkey. hahahahaha

ACTI0NMAN-1
11-05-2007, 12:00 PM
HSD/D2 they are similar and can be prone to break. (Info sourced from an importer i know.) It's like other mods, you want cheap you get cheap.

tokico, spoon, mugen, tein are all prone to break.
Infact i think everything is prone to breakage.
Cheap doesnt have to mean shit.

I believe most poeple who have made negative comments on them are basing their opinions on word of mouth and have no direct experience using these coilovers. until someone can tell me first hand experience and have pictures. your claims are unfounded.
finally, dont post links of people you have 'heard' having problems becase i could get just as many links from name brand coilovers snapping, leaking, grinding and bending.

.::F[L]Y::.
11-05-2007, 12:15 PM
i have had d2 coilovers before on my previous cars. S2000 and DC2.

From what i can recall the coilovers are pretty good for the amount you are paying. I got mine cheap though as i bought them second hand. They can go really low and are comfy for street. They are not as stiff as teins or cusco though so they wernt as good for tracking applications if your really into it.

The overall construction of the coilovers are not too bad either, did not rust or anything. i know that the kspeed coilovers have rust issues but i did not encounter such a problem for the d2. The only gripe i had with the d2 was in regards to the damper adjustments. It did not click when u adjusted it unlike the teins or cusco so hard to sell how hard they are. Also 36 settings i thought was abit overkill.

Overall i reckon these coilovers arnt worth buying new, try to look for second hand, they are good for street and the occasional track work but if your more serious then i suggest cusco zero 2 or tein flex.

czy_sol87
12-05-2007, 10:47 AM
fly-there are a set for street and a set for track...just to let u know

also alot of drifters use them, and i've been told that D2 coilovers are highly recomended by Dr. Drift because of the bang for buck, drifting is very violent and if the D2's were prone to breaking all the time, im sure that drifters wouldnt buy them at all and would go for some thing a little more expensive that "wouldnt" break