PDA

View Full Version : Type R Spoiler - VTi-R Spoiler

Wazza
01-07-2004, 10:15 AM
Does the Type R spoiler fits into the same mounts as the spoiler on the VTi-R? I have the VTi-R/GSi spoiler on my VTi-R and am wondering if a straight swap can be done, or whether the mounts from the VTi-R spoiler have to be filled, and new holes made, meaning a boot respray as well.

BlakTegra
01-07-2004, 11:04 AM
Gimme ur old spoiler if its black!!!!

I was gonna put a Type R spoiler on my DC2 at one stage but can't remember why I didn't??? I asked the exact same question I think... try a search dude.

Sorry for such as useless post :P

enoch
04-07-2004, 02:30 AM
i have a black gsi spoiler...gimme a type r one and ill give u that one lol

Wazza
04-07-2004, 01:21 PM
I have searched for that thread but it does not really give an answer. Can anyone help me out please?

BlakTegra
04-07-2004, 01:57 PM
You could ring up a Honda dealer to find out maybe?

Boost
04-07-2004, 02:00 PM
if i can remember correctly.. i think the type r spoiler fits in the same position, except you might have to cover a hole or two on the boot lid since these holes are used to run the cables for the brake light. Cause the type r spoiler doesnt have the brake light on it like the vtir and gsi.

Wazza
04-07-2004, 02:24 PM
Have already contacted Honda Australia direct, and they don't advise it but they wouldn't give me a reason. So maybe Honda just want to the Type R to be individual, a bit like how Holden won't sell HSV spare parts to normal commodore owners. Thanks Boost, but will the Type R spoiler cover the hole left from the brake light cable so it can be simply plugged and I don't have to respray the whole boot? Surely someone must have done this mod out there????

Spinout
04-07-2004, 06:56 PM
I hope someone will give us a direct answer, because I also want to change my GSI spoiler with a Type R spoiler, it just looks beautiful :D

joneblaze
04-07-2004, 08:05 PM
When I removed my GSi spoiler to mod the car wingless, rubber grommets were merely fitted in the 5 holes with a seal of silicone. They look fine to me, although perhaps quite ghetto and scrappy to others. If you wanted, you could even colour code the black grommets to fit your car colour. Another option is to bondo or fibreglass the holes up (at a panel beater etc) and paint the newly sealed spots.

IMO the ITR spoiler belongs on an ITR and that alone. Looks extremely out of place/tryhard on a DC without the "R" ;)
Of course this is coming from someone who'd throw an ITR front lip on his DC4 in a second if he ever found one to fit '94-97....... :)

JSL
04-07-2004, 08:31 PM
When I removed my GSi spoiler to mod the car wingless, rubber grommets were merely fitted in the 5 holes with a seal of silicone. They look fine to me, although perhaps quite ghetto and scrappy to others. If you wanted, you could even colour code the black grommets to fit your car colour. Another option is to bondo or fibreglass the holes up (at a panel beater etc) and paint the newly sealed spots.

IMO the ITR spoiler belongs on an ITR and that alone. Looks extremely out of place/tryhard on a DC without the "R" ;)
Of course this is coming from someone who'd throw an ITR front lip on his DC4 in a second if he ever found one to fit '94-97....... :)

I totall agree.. and I am so glad my car is wingless love it!!

Boost
05-07-2004, 12:00 PM
hey Jon i thought u have a spoiler on your Gsi.?
I had mine off at one stage, liked the spoiler less look for a while, then hated it.. then thought i take it off for a change again.. then put it back on again.. :)

Wazza: I cant remember exactly whether the itr spoiler covers the un used hole or not. I think it does, can someone confirm this.? if it does, then u can simple cover it up and then place the itr spoiler over it without having to paint the entire lid. :)

joneblaze
05-07-2004, 12:13 PM
Or you could just go ghetto and ignore the few plugged holes in your boot and enjoy saving a few hundred $ on respraying/fixing it. :)

Yeah man the car's wingless. Has been for ages. :)

Boost
05-07-2004, 06:59 PM
hahahhah "go ghetto" ? what does that mean JOn.??
$hit ay... never noticed it... man i havnt been on a cruise in Yonks!
Wanna go to the next one..

enoch
06-07-2004, 02:48 AM
hmm...maybe go CF....
saw one for sale for like $170, brandless, looks ok on the gsi...

vti-2
06-07-2004, 07:53 AM
Does the Type R spoiler fits into the same mounts as the spoiler on the VTi-R?

No.

I have the VTi-R/GSi spoiler on my VTi-R and am wondering if a straight swap can be done, or whether the mounts from the VTi-R spoiler have to be filled, and new holes made, meaning a boot respray as well.

You will need new holes. This obviously means filling the existing ones. A bit of a pain in the ass but if you really like the R spoiler it's worth it. I was going to do this to my DC2 and didn't because of that reason.

Wazza
08-07-2004, 06:23 PM
Thanks for your replies..

Ok now that I have established that different holes are required, will the Type r spoiler cover the holes left by the VTi-R spoiler so that they can be simply plugged and hidden by the Type R spoiler ???

OR

Will the Type R spoiler not cover the holes left by the VTi-R spoiler. thus for a proper job the boot will need to be resprayed???

fried
11-07-2004, 01:23 AM
hey, i have a black spoiler i wanna get rid of.

throw me some offers ! ;)