PDA

View Full Version : quad throttles

vtec-dr
03-05-2007, 03:31 PM
has n e one tried fittin toyota 4age quad throttles to a b16a if so, how does it rate, do they do much or just a waste and do i need custom fitting too

barefootbonzai
03-05-2007, 03:59 PM
Yep it's possible, but there's a lot of custom work involved. You'll end up spending at least $1000+ to fabricate what you need to get them working. Then another $1000 or so for aftermarket ecu and tunning.

EfiOz
03-05-2007, 04:49 PM
By which time you might as well have bought a real set.

thebob
03-05-2007, 07:51 PM
Do quads really make all that much difference? Just curious do you need like direct air flow to them eg CAI piping or is it ok to let them breath the engine air in?

barefootbonzai
03-05-2007, 07:59 PM
By which time you might as well have bought a real set.

that's it right there.

fatboyz39
03-05-2007, 08:06 PM
Do quads really make all that much difference? Just curious do you need like direct air flow to them eg CAI piping or is it ok to let them breath the engine air in?

that would be optimal to create a airbox around the quads.

Quads do make a difference, everything becomes a factor tho, like trumpet lenghts, size of each throttle body and etc.

thebob
03-05-2007, 08:12 PM
oh so there is a great difference between say your standard pod setup with cai compared to a properly set up set of boxed in quads?

qikteg
04-05-2007, 02:36 PM
i've managed to acquire a set of quads off a bmw, and currently in the process of fabricating an adaptor plate, loosely based on the diy quads seen on homemadeturbo... they will hopefully be put on a d16a3 dohc non-vtec.

QUESTION/S:
1. the d16a3 has a vacuum advance for ignition timing. how does this system work?
2. there is an idle air control valve in place. can i get by without it?

barefootbonzai
04-05-2007, 02:42 PM
here ya go. a link to a Tofu R's custom ITB's that he was making but then tried to sell. Not sure what ended up happening but as you can see it's a lot of work.

http://ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58741

Edgeauto
04-05-2007, 04:09 PM
i've managed to acquire a set of quads off a bmw, and currently in the process of fabricating an adaptor plate, loosely based on the diy quads seen on homemadeturbo... they will hopefully be put on a d16a3 dohc non-vtec.

QUESTION/S:
1. the d16a3 has a vacuum advance for ignition timing. how does this system work?
2. there is an idle air control valve in place. can i get by without it?

You will stuggle to run a vacuum advance with ITBs. We dont run any idle control on our:)

has n e one tried fittin toyota 4age quad throttles to a b16a if so, how does it rate, do they do much or just a waste and do i need custom fitting too

Here's an old thread http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63407

qikteg
04-05-2007, 07:17 PM
if i put in place an aftermarket ignition system (like an MSD or Crane), would that mean i no longer need the vaccuum advance?

EfiOz
05-05-2007, 10:22 AM
oh so there is a great difference between say your standard pod setup with cai compared to a properly set up set of boxed in quads?

Plenty, especially in mid range gains.

revNhevN
05-05-2007, 10:48 AM
20V throttle's can be made to fit. You can get a custom adapter plate made up. It is important the adapter is allows a smooth flow of air from the trumpet into the head. Sudden changes in cross sectional area will cause disturbances in the air flow. As mentioned the Trumpet inlet diameter, outlet diameter and length are important as it is actually a Diffuser. Also 20V throttle's come in 2 diameters, the blacktop 20V has larger throttles than the silver top.

vtec-dr
07-05-2007, 01:25 PM
so better gettin ones made for honda yeah??? how much am i lookin at, wouldnt there be too much hot air goin in as the itb's will be at the back of the engine bay???

Perry
08-05-2007, 02:57 PM
so better gettin ones made for honda yeah??? how much am i lookin at, wouldnt there be too much hot air goin in as the itb's will be at the back of the engine bay???

thats why U need a enclosed box

Jomsy
08-05-2007, 03:29 PM
i think you will find the toda manifold uses the 20v quads

180sx
09-05-2007, 03:33 AM
quote from TODA australia

" Regarding aftermarket bottom end, though not required it would be
advantageous for improved power output.

Regarding Power output, the sports injection kit offers 30hp gain at
5500rpm, and 10hp gain at peak rpm; over a standard engine with no other
changes.
VTEC Killer Cam shafts offer significant power gains from 5000rpm up, power
gains are dependant on actual cam profile selection and total engine
combination.
We recommend only using TODA products to gain maximum output. "

like my post ? + my reoputation pls :P

qikteg
09-05-2007, 06:04 PM
You don't need your vacuum advance. Just disconnect the hose, block the hole at the intake end and crank in a couple of more degrees static timing and you will never notice it's gone.

really?

well... thats good for me then, thanks for that!

+1 rep

qikteg
09-05-2007, 10:19 PM
sweet, so when installing my itb's, should i just plug up the tubes at the source?

i can install nipples into the the area that there would be max. vacuum if need be...

qikteg
09-05-2007, 11:49 PM
there's already some holes for the vacuum advance to go into, so i mite as well use em..

thanks heaps mate, cleared up that problem for me nicely..

any idea wat i can do about the IACV?

qikteg
26-05-2007, 11:44 PM
thread revival with new query.

if installing itb's, should i upgrade my injectors and fuel rail?

add to that, will i need to have a bigger fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator?

fatboyz39
27-05-2007, 12:02 AM
thread revival with new query.

if installing itb's, should i upgrade my injectors and fuel rail?

add to that, will i need to have a bigger fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator?

Don't need to upgrade the injectors or rails.

No need for bigger fuel pump, mayb upgrade to fuel pressure regulator.

Edgeauto
27-05-2007, 09:04 AM
^^^ours is all standard.

qikteg
29-05-2007, 11:26 PM
awesome... that saves me a few extra bucks.

now lets talk engine management. from what i know, itb's require some serious engine management tuning to extract maximum potential. hondata would obviously be the best option, but that really isn't a choice for my setup (d16a3, non vtec).

would it be possible to tune itb's by the tps, and using a piggyback controller like the apexi safc? or any other piggyback ecu for that matter?