PDA

View Full Version : Type R suspension or coilovers?

L a z y b O Y
03-05-2007, 04:59 PM
hello people im just wondering whether i should upgrade my vtir suspension to type r or coils since my shocks are gone now=]

the only thing that is bothering me is the price of coils compared to used type r suspension. Any suggestions on the pros and cons of each one?
is it better off just upgrading my vtir susension with the type r ones instead!

cheers :confused:

string
03-05-2007, 11:42 PM
Well Type-R suspension will require you to get the Type-R rear lower control arms which will probably set you back around $200. Add another $250 for the stock Type-R shocks and springs and you're at $450, for probably 60k-100k km old shocks.

If you increase your budget to maybe $600 - $700 you'll be able to find a set of second hand koni's or equivilent which will be in much better shape and an overall better performing shock.

notorious_ahmie
04-05-2007, 07:24 AM
mate if ur gonna replace the sussy..u might as well get coils..nothing compares to them..the increase in the handling is way better and worth the upgrade..thats my opinion though.

jdm_kid
04-05-2007, 08:29 AM
the only special thing about the Type R suspension are the springs. They have better spring rates n are more progessive than normal stock springs like the Vti-R.

string
04-05-2007, 01:29 PM
the only special thing about the Type R suspension are the springs. They have better spring rates n are more progessive than normal stock springs like the Vti-R.
The shocks are also far stiffer than the stock VTi-R versions, as are all the bushings.

narut0
04-05-2007, 07:47 PM
If you increase your budget to maybe $600 - $700 you'll be able to find a set of second hand koni's or equivilent which will be in much better shape and an overall better performing shock.

$600-$700 used koni shocks? Might as well get brand new Sport Konis for around $1000-$1100 or even Tein coils for around $1200. It all really depends on your purpose and budget i.e. daily driver(shocks), daily driver weekend racer(coils), etc..

tank
04-05-2007, 09:15 PM
If the Integra is driven mainly on the street, go Type R springs and shocks.
Pros:
(1) good enough for the occasional track day
(2) no need to mess around adjusting the shocks
(3) Honda has matched the springs and shocks for you

Cons:
(1) You can't change the ride height or corner weight the car
(2) You may want to run stiffer springs in the future

ricki_kalsi
04-05-2007, 09:47 PM
Coilovers are always a treat. It doesn't matter if it's for track or Street. If you track your car, definately go Buddy Club Racing Spec dampers. I use them in my DC2, and yeah everynow and then you feel like jumping out of the car into a on coming semi trailer, but on most occasions it's the best thing ever. I feel more confident pushing my car in the wet, and also in the dry... mainly in the wet opposed to pushing it with type R coilovers.

The Type R coilover are great nonetheless, but if you want a slight upgrade, I would recommend Buddy Club N+ or Tein SS or the likes. Don't get D2's, or G4's! No offence, but I would not recommend them.

L a z y b O Y
04-05-2007, 10:35 PM
thanks! will consider these findings, thanks again for your contributions ricki n tank =]

lol just that i have a tight budget thats why but i hear alot people say go buddy club but its a lil dear for me atm...

i sourced a itr suspension for 350 think that is a reasonable price

G-Stick
05-05-2007, 01:37 AM
is that with lcas? if so that not bad. if u need lcas i got a set

string
05-05-2007, 03:47 AM
Well for someone considering used type-r suspension, even $700 is probably a stretch let along $1000.

dc2itr
05-05-2007, 04:19 AM
i ve been considerin this aswell. Mite go with the coils. Lzyby let us know what u decide and what u thnk?