PDA

View Full Version : Test drove a DC5R - mixed feelings - torque steer - after dc5r owner opinions

evilslug
05-05-2007, 01:27 PM
Hi all,

Just test drove a stock DC5R as i am thinking of getting one.

Didnt push it all that much but when launching i found that it torques steers quite a bit and if you give it a bit in 2nd it also veers to one side. The fact that it was pissing down today and very wet prolly contributed greatly to this.

Does it torque steer a lot when it is dry? Since i have only driven it in the wet i cannot tell at all.

The engine sounds loud n shit? Well considering it is stock i didnt really expect to much from it. I imagine chucking on an exhaust and intake would fix / cover that noise. I like my car to sound good so any suggestion would be good. With the addition of a pod is there induction noise like on turbo cars?

the gearbox - felt quite good, very slick very smooth, longer throw then i expected though

Vtec - i didnt get to rev hard cos i didnt want to torque steer into a tree but it felt pretty decent. Nice sound in vtec too. Will an exhaut emphasise the sound more?

Other things ii did like a lot was:

The interior - nice stitchings, recaros, gear knob etc.
Boot with seats down was also very big.
Overall build quality is very good no rattles, feels very solid
Car looks very nice.

I'd like to hear some comments from other dc5r owners and see what they think.

didz
05-05-2007, 07:23 PM
I own one. I dont get torque steer when changing gears or anything. I can if i launch and get too much wheel spin or if im turning and i push it whilst turning (not a good idea anyway). Test it out in the dry and see for urself because in the wet is almost pointless. cant even see vtec in it because when it hits u just wheel spin.

With the engine noise, the engine will make a lot of noise when you push it and remember that the type R's had a lot of sound deadening removed from it to save weight (someone confirm please). The sound of vtec will be dramatically improved with an aftermarket exhaust system and Intake system.

mrwillz
05-05-2007, 07:26 PM
ur right about sound deadening mate

bennjamin
05-05-2007, 08:08 PM
the DC5R has a LSD equipped , and that should eliminate all torque steer.

didz
05-05-2007, 10:01 PM
^ ya, try it in dry dude. you will be most impressed! All of my mates are turbo heads and as soon as they hopped into my dc5r they were like... "damn....."

Drew
06-05-2007, 11:29 AM
The torque steer should be non existent on a DC5R

The EPS might be a bit whack on it making it steer right at random times, my CH9 does the same thing as so do a lot of Accord Euro's

I can't remember what causes it, but you will find that if you lift the front wheels off the ground with the engine running and turn the wheel a bit to the right they will just keep turning on their own until full lock

Q_ball
06-05-2007, 11:38 AM
Intake fixes engine noise more than an exhaust imo,
It makes the crossover sound louder as well from my experience in a mates car.
Exhaust will just drone the focker out - depending on the type of exhaust.

Torque steer, shouldnt be happening in a stock R,
The wet surface wouldve been the cause for it all.