PDA

View Full Version : 10" or 12" sub?

shortman_alan
05-05-2007, 04:32 PM
hey im contemplating getting 2x 10" subs or a single 12" sub for me 92 prelude.

i have been told that the ten's has a better response, as in they recover quicker and will be able to keep up with faster beats. im thinking that this is the way to go. as i like a well rounded verity of music. so im after good beep doof doof for the dace stuff and a good responce and bass for the rock side of things as they can have quite quick kicks.

would 2 ten's give a reasonable amount of punch? and are they much different to hook up as apposed to the 12? like is a mono amp alright?

what do you guys think? plus im leaning towards jaycar products only cause im not swimming in the money. anyone got any feedback on the jaycar 10's and 12's?
cheers

theseven
05-05-2007, 04:48 PM
2 x 10's would be better but it will use alot of space... if ur not going for a comp sounds 1 x 12" is not bad at all... would hardly notice the difference... it's all about how u set it up...

shortman_alan
05-05-2007, 05:05 PM
but would the 12 be able to keep up with say a song with a double kick? or would it have a lagging effect. (beat after is should be)

Drew
05-05-2007, 05:08 PM
10"s man

johnprocter
05-05-2007, 05:32 PM
mate my friend has a 12inch and it just doesnt keep up with dance, hard dance, hard trance, hardstyle all of that music.. i'd say stick with the two 10's

Fr3aKi3
05-05-2007, 07:31 PM
A shitty 10" wont be as good as a quality 12" same can be said in reverse.

It's not just a matter of the sub itself but also the box that it'll be installed in.

Vinnie
05-05-2007, 10:31 PM
but would the 12 be able to keep up with say a song with a double kick? or would it have a lagging effect. (beat after is should be)

2 10's still wont work independantly of each other. u say money is a serious issue (so much so ur not looking to stretch past jaycar) yet are looking at setting up/powering/buying 2 subs? not neccessary, 1 properly set up in a suitable enclosure, quality 12' thats gettin enuf power shood hav no probs. im currently running a single 12' and its never missed a beat, ever.

theseven
07-05-2007, 04:04 PM
2 10's still wont work independantly of each other. u say money is a serious issue (so much so ur not looking to stretch past jaycar) yet are looking at setting up/powering/buying 2 subs? not neccessary, 1 properly set up in a suitable enclosure, quality 12' thats gettin enuf power shood hav no probs. im currently running a single 12' and its never missed a beat, ever.

yea good point... i got 12's set up in the car too and it never miss a beat either...

IndoStyler
08-05-2007, 03:21 PM
wat matters more is the amp ur getting...u should find an amp with an infrasonic filter built in like the kenwood amp i just bought...basicly wat the infrasonic filter brings back the sub/speaker to its original position quicker ready for the next coming beat...this feature is pretty good for a 12inch if ur planning to play a fast beat song

an example of this amp is the kenwood monoblock amp KAC-8103D
http://www.ryda.com.au/Kenwood-KAC-8103D-Car-Amplifier-p/kac8103d.htm
follow link for pics and specs

but yeah, like i said, find an amp with that infrasonic filter if u want a 12 inch sub

integraz
08-05-2007, 04:24 PM
What's your budget for the subs, and what amp are you gonna use/ power.

I would go 1x12, but anything actually but just one driver, one quality subwoofer rather than 2 crappy subs.

And don't go on judging the way 10's are faster than 12's etc. It's not the size of the subwoofer, but the enclosure.

I have 1 single 8, that can't even keep up with trance music, its very laggy, and that's even with 400wrms RF amp, and 170wrms front stage.
Because its not in its right enclosure.

However I have a 10inch sub, that plays lower than 15inch, with 1000WRMS, but can keep up with trance music and the front stage.

It's all in the enclosure and the particular subwoofer itself.

pintara
08-05-2007, 05:51 PM
Mate,

All come back to budget, and the sound you're after. I think the kicker comp is seriously the bang for buck in sub category, as long you pwer that with a good amp and also with the right enclosure. I believe it wil pump hard, thus still be quick 'coz the foam is not thick. Thos only my comments.