PDA

View Full Version : strange steering -- why?! bearing? PS pump?

supersamEK
07-05-2007, 09:36 AM
talking bout a 96 ej8 here. having owned this car for a few months now i noticed the steering and its feel is so much different to any other car or even civic. Every1 who has driven my car has commented on its wierdness.

I previously owned a '00 EK1 and the stereing felt like any other car. Not too heavy, but heavy enough to have some feel. also when straight, the wheel stayed straight.. and when turning, the wheel has a tendency to centre itself, so u have to keep applying the force on the wheel to keep turning. sounds normal right?

In my car atm, the steering wheel kind of feels heavy.. but not like a non-powersteering heavy. When cornenring, i turn the wheel like normal and the car kind of feels like its following itself..? like i can turn the wheel maybe 1/4 to 1/2 turn... let go... and the wheel stays there and car keeps turning. On a sweeping bend, u can initiate the turn and let go and car will keep turning and follow the road..auto-pilot?

Im havnt driven alot of different cars, but im pretty sure this isnt normal...
Anyone has any ideas or previous similar experiences?
could it be something to do with PS pump or steering rack?
or maybe a wheel bearing, as ive noticed lately front left has spat grease everywhere.
??

e240
07-05-2007, 10:10 AM
Its not a computer game...The wheel is designed to straighten itself when turned. This is due to the castor angle. Maybe you have a castor kit which helps with straight line stability. Turning might require a little more effort.

Have you done a wheel alignment lately? Sometimes a lot of handling problems can be solved via a simple wheel alignment.

supersamEK
07-05-2007, 10:18 AM
Its not a computer game...The wheel is designed to straighten itself when turned. This is due to the castor angle. Maybe you have a castor kit which helps with straight line stability. Turning might require a little more effort.

Have you done a wheel alignment lately? Sometimes a lot of handling problems can be solved via a simple wheel alignment.

I realise the wheel is designed to straighten itself, thats why i think my car is strange at the moment as it doesnt tend to straighten itself..

It doesnt seem to really affect handling, and its not a bad thing. It doesnt actually stop me from cornering or anything. just feels strange

e240
07-05-2007, 11:22 AM
I realise the wheel is designed to straighten itself, thats why i think my car is strange at the moment as it doesnt tend to straighten itself..

It doesnt seem to really affect handling, and its not a bad thing. It doesnt actually stop me from cornering or anything. just feels strange

Well, first you said this
"and when turning, the wheel has a tendency to centre itself, so u have to keep applying the force on the wheel to keep turning. sounds normal right?"

but Ok, I understand you now.

Did you change to bigger/wider wheels?

supersamEK
07-05-2007, 12:05 PM
Well, first you said this
"and when turning, the wheel has a tendency to centre itself, so u have to keep applying the force on the wheel to keep turning. sounds normal right?"

yeah i meant this was how my old car was and now new car diff. both cars ran 205 tyres on 17's, but still exhibit very noticable difference. It's not really a problem, i just wondering if it is casued by something failing or is just how this particular car is setup.

aaronng
07-05-2007, 01:37 PM
Have you checked these things?

1) Tyre pressure
2) PS fluid level (prime it too)
3) Alignment

07-05-2007, 01:58 PM
Have you checked these things?

1) Tyre pressure
2) PS fluid level (prime it too)
3) Alignment
4) bushes?
5) Linkage

supersamEK
07-05-2007, 02:03 PM
1) i always keep an eye on pressures. so not that.
2) PS fluid... havnt checked that b4. will have a look at that.
3) It not a toe or camber issue. could be relateed to castor.. i will check that too i guess
4)5) car has done 175k km's so could be a problem do.