PDA

View Full Version : DA9 speed limiter

NSPYRE
08-05-2007, 07:08 PM
hey guys,

just want to know when/if the DA9 has a speed limiter set. reason being the car is gonna go on a dyno soon.

cheers.

Q_ball
08-05-2007, 08:00 PM
Speed limiter??
What kind of tune are you doing to need to hit the speed limit of the car?? :confused:
Or did you mean the rev limiter?

NSPYRE
08-05-2007, 08:06 PM
lol. i meant if the car goes on a dyno, and the speed limiter comes on before completing the dyno. does that make sense...?

Q_ball
08-05-2007, 08:10 PM
No tune that i know, requires you to hit the spd limiter (assuming its a stock car - you'd have to be goin in excess of 200km/hr on the dyno before you max your car out - which is highly unlikely).
Most dyno tunes are done in 4th, hence you'll never reach your "spd limiter" as you call it as you'll need to be in 5th for that.

edit: Also, the spd limiter doesnt just "come on" - you'll need to max ur car out for it to do that.

mooshie
08-05-2007, 08:56 PM
I think you mean the rev limiter dude. and I wouldn't worry about it, the dyno operator will back off after the car hits peak power which is before the car hits the limiter. unless you have modified the engine and ECU?

string
08-05-2007, 09:02 PM
How has no one heard of a speed limiter?

I don't believe the Australian delivered ECU's have speed limiters, but the JDM versions certainly do at 180km/h. In With a B18A you won't be hitting that in any gear other than 5th. I dyno'd mine in 4th gear and hit just under 170km/h, even with a bit higher redline you'd still be safe even on a JDM ecu.

Worst case, you do have a speed limiter. Just pull out your speedo cable from either the speed sensor on the gearbox, or from behind the cluster. You'll run fine except you'll throw a VSS code after a few minutes of running.

And Q_Ball yes speed limiters do just "come on", hence why it's called a speed limiter.

Q_ball
08-05-2007, 09:06 PM
And Q_Ball yes speed limiters do just "come on", hence why it's called a speed limiter.
I said stock didnt I...i think i did... ;)
My comments were based on a stock, AUDM LS.
UNLESS of course it was modified in someway - spd limiters DO NOT just come on in a stock car.

string
08-05-2007, 09:39 PM
My comments were based on a stock, AUDM LS.

If you are exclusively talking about an AUDM LS DA9 INTEGRA then say so in the first place instead of making ambiguous generalisations. Especially considering that in no part of the original post was there any mention of what sort of ECU is in question and it's state of modifications which is the only factor in the question of a speed limiter or not.

UNLESS of course it was modified in someway - spd limiters DO NOT just come on in a stock car.

What does that mean? Are you still talking about the specific car because speed limiters certainly do just "come on" on plenty of stock cars.

NSPYRE
08-05-2007, 09:44 PM

I don't believe the Australian delivered ECU's have speed limiters, but the JDM versions certainly do at 180km/h. In With a B18A you won't be hitting that in any gear other than 5th. I dyno'd mine in 4th gear and hit just under 170km/h, even with a bit higher redline you'd still be safe even on a JDM ecu.

Worst case, you do have a speed limiter. Just pull out your speedo cable from either the speed sensor on the gearbox, or from behind the cluster. You'll run fine except you'll throw a VSS code after a few minutes of running.

thanks string, that was exactly the info i was after :)

Q_ball
08-05-2007, 09:47 PM
What does that mean? Are you still talking about the specific car because speed limiters certainly do just "come on" on plenty of stock cars.
We're not talking about a st drive or highway run,
We're talking about a dyno - something which hasnt been clarrified by the thread starter - as in what hes gettin done on the dyno.
Sure there are cuts set on cars, but what kinda tune requires you to max ur car out in that way?

string
08-05-2007, 09:50 PM
Well there are none. He was just asking if the speed limiter was going to affect the dyno runs; not saying that hitting the limiter was a requirement of his tuning appointment.

NSPYRE
08-05-2007, 09:55 PM
ok, to clear this up

i was under the assumption that dyno's were run all the way to red-line. i kno they are run in 4th gear. i dont kno wat speed the car will achieve at red-line in 4th. thus, i wanted to kno if there was a speed limiter set which would prevent the car being able to run all the way to red-line in 4th.

has this been cleared up now?

Q_ball
08-05-2007, 09:56 PM
If you ask me, the question is rather vague, and rather than me making assumptions and generalisations, it was more an attempt by myself to cover as many areas as i possibly could.

edit:

ok, to clear this up

i was under the assumption that dyno's were run all the way to red-line. i kno they are run in 4th gear. i dont kno wat speed the car will achieve at red-line in 4th. thus, i wanted to kno if there was a speed limiter set which would prevent the car being able to run all the way to red-line in 4th.

has this been cleared up now?
You will not hit the spd limiter in any gear unless its the car's highest gear.

NSPYRE
08-05-2007, 10:00 PM
^^^ i was not aware of that and thats why i asked... sorry for any misunderstandings. i'll make my questions more detailed next time :)

string
08-05-2007, 10:09 PM
Well you covered extra areas with confusing and missleading information. I disagree that the original question was really that ambiguous; there aren't many possibly questions that can arise from the topic of a speed limiter so logical conclusions lead to the intended query.

Speed limiters apply at the given speed, and can be in any gear. You'll get speed limited in fourth if you can get that high in fourth.

crx_boy7
08-05-2007, 10:15 PM
lol if u got a jdm ecu, it will cut out, just get an aus ecu ezy swap

lol put a jdm unit in mine and then was maxing the car out (i forgot about the about the ecu) hit 180 and the car started jerking, was like WTF lol limiters are awsome

but how come when i watched blkcrx do a dyno run he was going over 200???
im confused, wouldnt there be different resaults from different gear ratios???

string
08-05-2007, 10:16 PM
What do you mean different results from different gear ratios? Blkcrx obviously doesn't have a speed limiter if he can hit 200 :)

The input to the speed limiter logic comes from the VSS which is mechanically connected to the final drive gear. Different gear ratios will all be accounted for as the speed is recorded effectively "at the wheels". The only time you get different results is from different tyre circumferences.

crx_boy7
08-05-2007, 10:42 PM
ok look
5000 rpm wil result as different speed, torque through different gears
ie 1st gear has enough torque to do burnouts, but 4th hasnt

if u hav 50nm of torque and u put it through a 2:1 pulley system the torque will theoredically double to 100nm of torque
so different ratios must hav diff results right????

a different tyre circumference would have the same affect as different ratios as the wheel changes, the ratio between the dyno and the wheel would change, just like the gearbox

string
08-05-2007, 10:53 PM
Oh talking about dyno results? The short answer is no.

Dynos measure power versus roller speed. By changing the final gearing ratio by a factor of 2 (shorter), your peak will be the same, but the horizontal scale will be halved as your final speed will be divided by two.

Torque can then be calculated once you give a suitable rev range to map to the speed values.

Running in a lower gear, or with shorter ratios will just give you bloated "Tractive Effort" numbers, which are largely useless without knowing the final drive and gear ratios. No matter how short you make them, you still can't make the motor produce any more actual "power" so you'll never get false power readings unless the dyno or operator is ****ed up.

NSPYRE
09-05-2007, 01:57 AM
^^^ ur gonna get a grilling by mod's for this post.

never mention any illegal or dangerous activities on forums; police view these forums too.

say u were on a track or something

crx_boy7
09-05-2007, 04:12 PM
i understand
so they compare 2 rpm points to the speed recorded in the dyno, this would
give u a ratio
and also work out torque acurately

ACTI0NMAN-1
12-05-2007, 04:59 PM
unless you have an engine swap you shouldnt hit the speedlimiter. my swapped b18c was at 217kph, but thats because i'm running the stock b18a gearbox. and like others i'm running an aftermarket ecu. the stock b18a shouldnt hit it in 4th unless its reving past stock redline.

ECU-MAN
12-05-2007, 11:57 PM
AUDM = no speed limiter
JDM = 180km/h